Is everyone already giving PC a pass for next season?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Does Russ even know that the 'Let's Ride' Tag is one made famous by eBay Motors? The first time i heard him say it, it reminded me to check the status of my last auction.

What a clown.
Probably makes a 100 bucks everytime he says it...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I don't believe Pete Carroll would be fired if the Seahawks have a down year. I think it's more likely that Pete will retire. Overall, I think Pete has done many great things for Seahawk football. Frankly, I wasn't enamoured with his hire in Jan 2010. I remember having lunch with a friend and fellow Seahawk fan that day it was announced he was the next HC replacing Mora. We just looked at one another in disbelief. However, it turned to be a great hire. Pete put life back into the team, the city, and football in Seattle. I'm grateful for that. For that reason, he's not going to be fired. He will be given a chance to do it again. I think he can. He just needs to refocus on the the things that got him there in the first place.

In hindsight, IMO, the biggest mistake Pete and FO did was trade Max Unger for Jimmy Graham. That move still reverberates through the organization today. They went from an average, servicable OL to one that is below average. They underestimated the importance of Unger to the team offense and OL. He was the piece that held that line together. They are still looking for another "Max Unger". He may not have been the strongest but his football IQ was off the charts. He was able to make the correct line calls, he was the unsung leader of the OL and quite possibly the offense. Instantly the Saints OL improved. They rose again and the Seahawks stagnated and were worse without Unger. Pete's philosophy changed after that trade. He started weighing skill, finesse type of players over gritty, hard nosed football players. That's what brings the team to the situation they are in. I really like what they did in this years draft. For that reason alone, I think Pete deserves a chance to try to get this team back to where it was. That was the type of draft that occured in 2010, 2011, and 2012 that propelled the team to a high level.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
What I’m not looking forward to is the “turd polishing” that will happen when Pete's talking about this team and his current QB’s.

It’s not Pete’s fault though that his former QB has lost his legs and escapability which was keys to extending plays. Those extended plays turned into 18 yard sacks.

Also said, they had to deal with a 55 million dollar ballon payment to an aging QB. They made the right move in dealing Russ, as keeping him would kill your future salary cap.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Pete will probably be gone in the next few years regardless of what happens anyway, good or bad. And if not, and in a few years he's still getting us deep in the playoffs and wants to keep coaching, then why would that be a bad thing? We can't lose, figuratively speaking, either way. Relax. Personally, I hope we either suck this year for a great draft next year, or we go deep in the playoffs. Middling around .500 won't really help us, other than getting game experience for the new rookies.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I also understand the low level excitement of going into a season with a new QB that might succeed in many areas that RW has utterly failed.
The only people NOT excited for this upcoming season are people who are emotionally invested in PC being a failure or Russ being the primary/only reason we won any games the last few years.

I'm stoked for this season in a way I haven't been in years.

toffee

Reaction score
What I’m not looking forward to is the “turd polishing” that will happen when Pete's talking about this team and his current QB’s.

It’s not Pete’s fault though that his former QB has lost his legs and escapability which was keys to extending plays. Those extended plays turned into 18 yard sacks.

Also said, they had to deal with a 55 million dollar ballon payment to an aging QB. They made the right move in dealing Russ, as keeping him would kill your future salary cap.
I respectfully beg to differ. Russ force the issue by telling the team in private that he will not accept any contract extensions, then team Russ was in full mobilization to promote how he was wronged by Pete's antiquated philosophy and John's roster building.

Pete was forced to accept trading Russ, although John may have been ready for years.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
The only people NOT excited for this upcoming season are people who are emotionally invested in PC being a failure or Russ being the primary/only reason we won any games the last few years.

I'm stoked for this season in a way I haven't been in years.
Yeah I didn’t word that quite right. I was trying to convey that there was excitement going into the season but not overwhelming excitement. That being said you overall point is bullshit.

Rainger

Reaction score
I don't think it is possible.

Would love to be wrong.
But for Pete to succeed he has to follow the blueprint HE wrote. That process works. He just stopped using it. Probably about 5-7 years ago.
Unless he wakes up and does the things that led to him winning? That isn't changing. I am not even sure it is possible at this point without a QB.

He never should have gone all-in on Wilson. Agree with many here on that.
But the changing of his philosophies is what killed him. Not that. And it is probably too late for him to fix it now.
He has woken up! He got off the RW band wagon and is building again like he did the first time. I am sure he only hung on so long with Russ because of all the DELUSIONAL RW fans

Last edited:

Own The West

Reaction score
Denver knows how to win? really? what've they won? what's their winning record lol. And since when Seahawks is not a team that wants to win?
Lookin kinda dad bod in that clip (for an athlete). Doesn't seem to be too worried about being in a contract year.

toffee

Reaction score
He has woken up! He got off the RW band wagon and is building again like he did the first time. I am sure he only hung on so long with Russ because of all the DELUSIONAL RW fans
Pete, without Russ, can finally request players to "compete". It's invaluable in my humble opinion. A good way to build foundation for our next dynasty.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I respectfully beg to differ. Russ force the issue by telling the team in private that he will not accept any contract extensions, then team Russ was in full mobilization to promote how he was wronged by Pete's antiquated philosophy and John's roster building.

Pete was forced to accept trading Russ, although John may have been ready for years.
It matters little IF the dead leg donkey told the team he wouldn't
do any extensions that doesn't mean he was getting any to begin
with.
You don't think P/J saw what we did?I have a hard time believing
they would be that stupid to want more of that at higher cost.

They can't come out and say anything to the "no deals" because it
would have shot down the trade value and we would have been
stuck with a lame duck QB for 2 more seasons.

I think for the last couple seasons Pete was woke from his love of Russ
and was very happy to see him go.

toffee

Reaction score
It matters little IF the dead leg donkey told the team he wouldn't
do any extensions that doesn't mean he was getting any to begin
with.
You don't think P/J saw what we did?I have a hard time believing
they would be that stupid to want more of that at higher cost.

They can't come out and say anything to the "no deals" because it
would have shot down the trade value and we would have been
stuck with a lame duck QB for 2 more seasons.

I think for the last couple seasons Pete was woke from his love of Russ
and was very happy to see him go.
I suspect that Pete vetoed the 2020 off season trade and held on to Russ for one more go.

GemCity

Reaction score
No pass but, PC fanbois will give him several and make plenty of excuses along the way. Some of the things folks will sound off on are actually legit…such as experience for the younger players. Or, the fact that we don’t have a good quarterback and are looking to draft one next year. Then, that QB will need experience and eventually won’t have talented receivers because they bailed. Then it will be the change in coordinators. Let’s not mention Paul Allen’s asset’s being liquidated.

It’s exciting. Way more exciting than it has been in the last several years. I would’ve never traded Russ but, there’s a lot of folks that think he’s fallen off so… Those folks will tell you that Russ forced his way out. Perhaps…but in a PC driven offense, I don’t see Seattle as being an attractive club to play for. Stubbornness like running into a stacked box 13 times in a wildcard game against what was arguably the leagues best run D can wear on players. Being past an opponents 40 on 4th and a genital hair and punting can discourage players.

Only Seattle and it’s fans could chase away the Sonics and Russell “I want to love like Jesus” Wilson.

But…the path forward has been chosen. I loved the draft and there’s a feeling of refreshed enthusiasm to see how well these rookies and returning players like Adams and Brown perform. If both Denver and Seattle underperform, we’ve got a great shot at a QB in next years draft (Will Levis please!!).

The real question is how are folks going to feel when Denver makes the playoffs with Russ having his best statistical season of his career?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I don't see Pete 'fanbois', but I read a ton of Russ 'fanbois'.
It’s funny how some here try to stick Everybody in one category or the other. I’m not sad to see RW go but wanted to see him here for a year under a new head. I wanted PC gone long ago. But some assume I’m John37 when I grumble about PC. You can want them Both gone and one less than the other.
so why didn’t we make changes YEArS ago when it became clear we would never have post season success under this coach and QB?

Smellyman

Reaction score
It’s funny how some here try to stick Everybody in one category or the other. I’m not sad to see RW go but wanted to see him here for a year under a new head. I wanted PC gone long ago. But some assume I’m John37 when I grumble about PC. You can want them Both gone and one less than the other.
so why didn’t we make changes YEArS ago when it became clear we would never have post season success under this coach and QB?
That was my point, grumble about Pete all you want and I will agree with many, most or all of them. Are there any Pete 'fanbois' here? fire him, fire him years ago, I don't care.

But the Russell Wilson worshiping zealots here is distrurbing. Almost like some other person who also wears orange.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, Russ is gone, time for some people to accept it. He was my favorite player, but I'm long since over it. It was time to move on for both sides.
I'm ready for a change at HC, but clearly that isn't happening until he decides to hang em up.

toffee

Reaction score
Coaching wise, everyone is focused on Pete. I am more worried about our other coaching staffs:

Waldron: He didn't call plays in LA. Last year, his first as OC, Russ more or less played RussBall. Can he really gameplan and make that right call at critical situations? We don't know. Is he a QB whisperer? We don't know. Russ gave Shane a no confidence vote right after he was hired, does Russ know something that we all don't? Waldron hasn't proved anything yet.

Clint Hirtt/Sean Desai: Clint is a first timer and promoted from within, Sean was hired to 'keep an eye on' and help Clint. But Sean (38yo) is younger than Clint (43 yo), not sure how ambition/ego work in this case. so with Pete, this is a trike.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I suspect that Pete vetoed the 2020 off season trade and held on to Russ for one more go.
The dead cap hit would have been horrible if they did the trade the year before.
I don't think they had much choice.