Is everyone already giving PC a pass for next season?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
or have a different opinion how to get out of mediocrity. Dumping Pete and attemtping to build a new culture and new structure is often harder than dumping a fading QB and building up again. Many think the latter was the better move
Count me as one of those "Many" who grew tired of a Quarterback that thought he could "Cook" his way through his shortcomings all by his lonesome, AND FAILED.

toffee

Reaction score
or have a different opinion how to get out of mediocrity. Dumping Pete and attemtping to build a new culture and new structure is often harder than dumping a fading QB and building up again. Many think the latter was the better move
Russ may not have faded enough at this point, he should still have a few magic here and there. The problem with Russ, in my humble opinion lays his priorities, to Russ, Football is a means to something bigger. That something could be owning a NFL franchise, running for president, etc., Football is just one of the vehicle towards those goals. Therefore, personal glories triumphs team ball, and to him, it's so worth it.

Last edited:

Smellyman

Reaction score
Count me as one of those "Many" who grew tired of a Quarterback that thought he could "Cook" his way through his shortcomings all by his lonesome, AND FAILED.
I am too. I butchered my own thought. :)

RW on his own is a one and done playoff QB or not make the playoffs QB. He becomes more Derek Carr-ish w/o a great D and Running game. I still believe great Ds and running games can win you titles. Almost all QBs look good with that.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Save your keystrokes Smellyman, Jayhawk has an irreversible hate of Pete thinking b/c he’s old (ageist), washed up, or is out of ideas, can’t coach a lick anymore, and will meddle with his coordinators to screw things up so the Hawks have not a prayer of winning more than five games. Oh, and by the way did I say not a chance.

Fortunately the majority has a more upbeat, or a more realistic view of the future prospects of the team. Even with (gasp) Pete.

We all here are allowed our views but the negativity from a few is incredibly consistent and not a single alternative HC prospect is floated to replace the real leader of the regime that has brought the longest period of team success in it’s history.

Pete is far from being washed up and we will see the proof without Wilson this upcoming season.

Boohman14

Reaction score
I wasn't ready to give up on Russ magic when he was traded but I must have yelled, "just get rid of the ball " at Russ about 15 time a game it seemed. After last season I was ambivalent about his return. I was pissed that he came back so soon. I thought that Geno may be servicable until Russ was really healthy. Pete should have sat Russ until he could make all the throws.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Anybody putting me in the “loved Russ so I hate Pete“ camp is an idiot.

we are where we are TODAY 100% because of Pete. We have won 3 playoff games in 7 years because of Pete. We likely won’t do jack shit next year because we are paying the price of Pete’s repeated failures. He has burned the house down he built.

if I hire a contractor and he builds me a shitty house and then burns it down I don’t hire him to build me a new one. I find a better contractor.

you posters with your lifetime contract for 9 years ago should be ashamed. You are not a Seahawks fan but just a Pete Fanboy. He’s a sadder version of Marty Shottenheimer at this point.

Smellyman

Reaction score
rebuilds happen all the time in the NFL, no matter the coach. the league is setup that way. houses are meant to last 100 years, so yeah, fire your contractor.

I am not a Pete fanboy, he has messed up a ton, but I am not foolish enough to fire the best coach in team history and thinking bringing in someone else is a magic elixir.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I wasn't ready to give up on Russ magic when he was traded but I must have yelled, "just get rid of the ball " at Russ about 15 time a game it seemed. After last season I was ambivalent about his return. I was pissed that he came back so soon. I thought that Geno may be servicable until Russ was really healthy. Pete should have sat Russ until he could make all the throws.
I'm pretty sure Pete AND Russ both knew at the beginning of the season, that it was going to be Wilsons' last hoorah as a Seahawk and felt that IF the Seahawks were going to possibly get any kind of decent trade offers, he was going to have to let him play through being dinged up, display his wares to teams that were still interested in trading for his services.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Anybody putting me in the “loved Russ so I hate Pete“ camp is an idiot.

we are where we are TODAY 100% because of Pete. We have won 3 playoff games in 7 years because of Pete. We likely won’t do jack shit next year because we are paying the price of Pete’s repeated failures. He has burned the house down he built.

if I hire a contractor and he builds me a shitty house and then burns it down I don’t hire him to build me a new one. I find a better contractor.

you posters with your lifetime contract for 9 years ago should be ashamed. You are not a Seahawks fan but just a Pete Fanboy. He’s a sadder version of Marty Shottenheimer at this point.
Your "Love / Hate" for Pete or Russ doesn't mean squat to me.
YOU should be "ASHAMED" of trying to browbeat others here for having OPINIONS that don't run parallel with your soured point of view.
Pete didn't build you a "Shitty House", what he DID build, is the SEAHAWKS >FIRST EVER Super Bowl Winning Team<.
You & a few others have YET to come up with an >> A-V-A-I-L-A-B-L-E << replacement HC.
What you & a few others are doing, is peeing into the wind on this issue, and sniping at others for their "Hang in There" ways, eh?

toffee

Reaction score
Not giving Pete a pass at all, but will give him 2 years to turn the team around under the current circumstances, unless this years team go 0-17 or something disastrous which is unlikely.

I think Pete's memory isn't what it used to be. There was this incidence during drafting our first round pick, after John called Charles, he passed the phone to Pete. There, Pete asked Charles was he at home? Cross was surprised, told Pete that he's in Vegas. Cross was on TV, etc., and how many top picks stay at home? Pete had his senior moment on national TV.

But Pete's energy level is still way up and his football knowledge and IQ still up there, I am quite sure that he will make this rebuilt work. No doubt about it.

Like to see Pete's memory lost vs Russ leg regression, love to see how they compare in the next years.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Not giving Pete a pass at all, but will give him 2 years to turn the team around under the current circumstances, unless this years team go 0-17 or something disastrous which is unlikely.

I think Pete's memory isn't what it used to be. There was this incidence during drafting our first round pick, after John called Charles, he passed the phone to Pete. There, Pete asked Charles was he at home? Cross was surprised, told Pete that he's in Vegas. Cross was on TV, etc., and how many top picks stay at home? Pete had his senior moment on national TV.

But Pete's energy level is still way up and his football knowledge and IQ still up there, I am quite sure that he will make this rebuilt work. No doubt about it.

Like to see Pete's memory lost vs Russ leg regression, love to see how they compare in the next years.
Most top picks stay home these days, no? I think his memory is fine, really.

Fade

Reaction score
I like my version better:

2022 offseason: We got rid of Wilson who couldn't carry the team past good playoff defenses. Yay! Now we can rebuild the trenches and put together a young and fast defense!!

2022 season: Shit, Geno/Lock looking serviceable and not as bad as we all thought! Penny/KW3 strong rushing attack keeping games competitive! Fast defense showing flashes with multiple young stars on the rise!

2023 offseason: Tons of cap space to sign quality FAs or keep star players if needed! Drafts rookie franchise QB in a deep QB class!

2023 season: Defense now looking dominant! Strong run game takes pressure off rookie QB and keeps games competitive! Franchise rookie QB showing growth by end of year!

2024 season: Top 5 Defense looking straight nasty!! Turnovers, sacks, picks galore. Dominating like the LOB days! Franchise QB with more NFL experience + dominate D + strong rushing attack leading to post season victories! Maybe even a SB appearance!

2025: The most complete team we've had in a long time, leading to a SB victory! PC retires and rides off into the sunset.
2023: The Seahawks had 120M cap space for '23, but they spent most of it already here in '22. They are down to $50M for '23, and they haven't signed DK yet, which will knock it down to $25M. That is not a ton of cap space. The Rams can do a lot w/25M, the Seahawks? Not so much.

2024: They changed the rules, defenses are no longer nasty.

The league has shifted to X's and O's, game planning, and the coaches who can make the most adjustments on the fly. The Bill Cower's, Ron Rivera's, and the Pete Carroll's of the world, who lean in on expending great effort to get it done are being out maneuvered by the former.

2025: Pete Carroll isn't retiring, he will have to be fired. Until that day comes it is best to keep your expectations in check.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The league has shifted to X's and O's, game planning, and the coaches who can make the most adjustments on the fly. The Bill Cower's, Ron Rivera's, and the Pete Carroll's of the world, who lean in on expending great effort to get it done are being out maneuvered by the former.
You say that as if you think the Seahawks are incapable of X's and O's, game planning, and making adjustments on the fly.

And I'm wondering what you mean by "lean in on expending great effort to get it done."

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
"Mediocrity" is fans who Pre-Snivel an upcoming Season....We had plenty of those back before Pete came here & BUILT an In-Your-Face Defense, and got us our VERY FIRST Lombardi, yea.."Mediocre" PETE DID THAT.

That was years ago. Pete hasent shown the same ability for quite some time now. There is absolutely no reason to believe he would be able to do so again.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I was pissed that he came back so soon. I thought that Geno may be servicable until Russ was really healthy. Pete should have sat Russ until he could make all the throws.

What makes the difference? Team was losing with Geno too.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
That was years ago. Pete hasent shown the same ability for quite some time now. There is absolutely no reason to believe he would be able to do so again.
Pete has still beaten teams with MUCH younger Head Coaches over the last few years, EVEN AGAINST some of the NFC West Teams, but don't let that fact get in the way of your Bummer feelings towards Pete Carroll.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Pete has still beaten teams with MUCH younger Head Coaches over the last few years, EVEN AGAINST some of the NFC West Teams, but don't let that fact get in the way of your Bummer feelings towards Pete Carroll.

Yeah with the heroics of a HOF QB thats not there anymore. Lets see how he fares for the rest of his tenure.

Latest posts