Interesting stats on Wilson, our RBs (and Bevell)

edogg23

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2xdc3vf6 said:
SalishHawkFan":2xdc3vf6 said:
Russell Wilson passing stats on 3rd and 4 or less:

11/29...37.9%...196 yds....6.76 ypa...0 TD, 1 INT 1 Fumble return for TD...8 Sacks for -6 yds Two of his completions went for 96 yds, otherwise, he'd have a 3.70 ypa. His sack rate is 28%.

Out of 29 3rd down and 4 or less attempts, Wilson converted 10 first downs, a 34% success rate. 5 of those first downs came vs Chicago.

Now compare that to our RB's on 3rd and 4 or less:

11 carries for 60 yds...5.45 ypc. 7 first downs. That's a success rate of 64%

Now let's talk Bevell. With Wilson sucking ass on 3rd and 4 or less. Sucking so bad that in 27 of the 29 pass plays Bevell called, Wilson had a 3.7 ypa. Not even enough for a first down on average from 4 yds out. With Wilson converting a measly 34% of his third down attempts, Bevell, offensive genius that he is, calls 3 pass plays for every 1 time he runs the ball. Despite the teams 64% success rate on the ground and a dominating 5.45 ypc on 3rd and 4 or less.

He's killing us. We have to balance our offense and run at least half the time in those 3rd down situations.

Bevell killed us in the SB and he's killing us now. Fire Bevell.

Oh, btw, here is Wilson when NOT throwing on 3rd and 4 yds or less:

113/151...74.8%...1237 yds...8.19 ypa...7 TD, 2 INT, 2 Fumbles....18 sacks. A sack rate of 12%.

Here is our RB's when NOT rushing on 3rd and 4 yds or less:

162 carries for 767 yds...4.7 ypc.

So to summarize. Wilson: sucks ass on 3rd and short. Plays much better otherwise. RB's: Kick ass on 3rd and short. Better than any other time in the game. Bevell: Calls pass plays on 3rd and short 3 out of 4 times. Offense is dying on 3rd downs.

Any questions?
ONE Question..... are you daft?, Who sucks ASS??
His SHIT O-Line is sucking monkey dangles, and Wilson is to blame for that ? :roll:
Nice try though :roll:
What does the o-line have to do with 3rd and short? If you aren't getting the ball out under 2 seconds on third and short than their is a major problem with either the play calling or the qb decision making.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
This is alarming, but the solution is not to run on 3rd and 4.....it's what personnel is on the field that matters most to a defense.

I can tell you for certain, screens/draws are kinda like running plays and Bevell has three major problems.

A) Fred Jackson is isolated or has been brought in as a "3rd down back"......he's not been a threat to run on 3rd and 4 or less inside, because the line isn't good enough, Jackson has lost a step or has lost a step because he's been injured with the high ankle sprain.....If you replace Jackson with Marshawn like Bevell has done most of his career OR with Turbin and Lynch, you diversify the offense.....you used to screen with Turbin or Lynch, you can inside handoff to either and send the other in motion to take a defender with that back.....Jackson doesn't demand that attention.

B) If you add Lynch, at least you have better blitz pick up, if teams decide to blitz Russell Wilson on 3rd and 4....most times with Jackson, you can blitz and know Jackson is not a threat as a screen catcher, to burn a blitzing defense.....there is no "speed back" that can catch a pass AND be reliable enough in pass protection.....Rawls is not in position to be a blitz pick up guy, even if you wanted to show Rawls and not Jackson.....if I saw Rawls as a defense, I would think draw and would not blitz OR I'd blitz and make Rawls show he can pick up a Clay Matthews or Luke Keuchely....not a good matchup.

C) Marshawn and Rawls (not Jackson) need to be on the field together on 3rd and short....one needs to be a threat out of the backfield to take a defender out of the box (Lynch preferably), while the threat of Rawls on a draw, screen happens.

This is not a solution to run on 3rd and 4 or less, despite what the stats say......you can work around this IF, you diversify the players in this scenario.

Just supports what we are seeing here, but Jackson has to be on the field for most of these scenarios.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2xi91b59 said:
Russell Wilson passing stats on 3rd and 4 or less:

11/29...37.9%...196 yds....6.76 ypa...0 TD, 1 INT 1 Fumble return for TD...8 Sacks for -6 yds Two of his completions went for 96 yds, otherwise, he'd have a 3.70 ypa. His sack rate is 28%.

Out of 29 3rd down and 4 or less attempts, Wilson converted 10 first downs, a 34% success rate. 5 of those first downs came vs Chicago.

Now compare that to our RBs on 3rd and 4 or less:

11 carries for 60 yds...5.45 ypc. 7 first downs. That's a success rate of 64%

Now let's talk Bevell. Wilson is sucking ass on 3rd and 4 or less. Sucking so bad that in 27 of the 29 pass plays Bevell called, Wilson had a 3.7 ypa. Not even enough for a first down on average from 4 yds out. With Wilson converting a measly 34% of his third down attempts, Bevell, offensive genius that he is, calls 3 pass plays for every 1 time he runs the ball. Despite the teams 64% success rate on the ground and a dominating 5.45 ypc on 3rd and 4 or less.

He's killing us. We have to balance our offense and run at least half the time in those 3rd down situations.

Bevell killed us in the SB and he's killing us now. Fire Bevell.

Oh, btw, here is Wilson when NOT throwing on 3rd and 4 yds or less:

113/151...74.8%...1237 yds...8.19 ypa...7 TD, 2 INT, 2 Fumbles....18 sacks. A sack rate of 12%.

Here is our RBs when NOT rushing on 3rd and 4 yds or less:

162 carries for 767 yds...4.7 ypc.

So to summarize. Wilson: sucks ass on 3rd and short. Plays much better otherwise. RBs: Kick ass on 3rd and short. Better than any other time in the game. Bevell: Calls pass plays on 3rd and short 3 out of 4 times. Offense is dying on 3rd downs.

Any questions?
No Questions, just one pet peeve with you and northseahawk.
Your incomplete data is what's sucking ass.
I'm not going to explain what I'm saying, as that would be me, doing your homework for you.
Ever hear of the term "Extenuating Circumstances"?, that's your first and last clue from me, bye :17:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":16bjqhll said:
B) If you add Lynch, at least you have better blitz pick up, if teams decide to blitz Russell Wilson on 3rd and 4....most times with Jackson, you can blitz and know Jackson is not a threat as a screen catcher, to burn a blitzing defense.....there is no "speed back" that can catch a pass AND be reliable enough in pass protection.....Rawls is not in position to be a blitz pick up guy, even if you wanted to show Rawls and not Jackson.....if I saw Rawls as a defense, I would think draw and would not blitz OR I'd blitz and make Rawls show he can pick up a Clay Matthews or Luke Keuchely....not a good matchup.

C) Marshawn and Rawls (not Jackson) need to be on the field together on 3rd and short....one needs to be a threat out of the backfield to take a defender out of the box (Lynch preferably), while the threat of Rawls on a draw, screen happens.

This is not a solution to run on 3rd and 4 or less, despite what the stats say......you can work around this IF, you diversify the players in this scenario.

Just supports what we are seeing here, but Jackson has to be on the field for most of these scenarios.
Have you seen the blitz pickup that Jackson did on JJ Watt?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1ck6pv6q said:
Absollutely ZERO idea what going to two super bowls in a row has to do with THIS year. THIS year, Bevell is the one throwing far more than running in those situations. That has nothing to do with the oline sucking. Because even at its current state of suckitude, it can block enough to succeed running 64% (down from 84% last year) a hell of a lot better than it can block enough to succeed passing.

So why is Bevell passing all the damned time THIS year? He ran more than he passed last year when we went to a SB. He's already passed as many times in 6 games this year as he did ALL of last year. Shouldn't he be passing less and running more since that's what's working?
TWO Super Bowls in a row WITH a MUCH BETTER O-LINE.
Better push for the Run Game, Run Game setting up the PASSING Game, Russell Wilson getting nearly 900 Yards rushing last Season, which ADDS TO THE RUN Numbers, putting the Seahawks RUN FIRST tendencies near the top of the heap.
Newbie Center, still trying to find a cohesive Offensive identity, and you Don't see the widening chasm?, the disparity from one Season to the next?.......Anybody??
Continuity?......NOPE!!
Even all THIS ^ doesn't explain why the Defense is trending downwards, eh?
My reading skills are still in tact,
If you want to get a better bead on the problems, you have to use the MACRO-scope.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
scutterhawk":31f2chd6 said:
NewJerseyHawk":31f2chd6 said:

Have you seen the blitz pickup that Jackson did on JJ Watt?
Yes I have. Also saw him miss on one last week.
My problem with him playing third downs is that it is a tell. If the back is Jackson, it is a pass most likely.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Teams no longer have to honor the run game as they once did on 3rd and short. That's it and only it.

mrt144

Reaction score
Watched all the lynch running plays on All-22 and holy crap the run blocking is bad.

3 rushes over 6 yards, two negated by penalties, the only one that stands works because the Panthers completely commit wrong on play, the contain DE blows right past Lynch and Lynch just goes to the left and gains 17 yards.

Yes, the only rush over 6 yards was enabled because contain whiffed really hard.

One good one among a bunch of bad ones

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8g59 ... lBCOUZ6bzA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8g59 ... jNVc1NoM2M

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8g59 ... 3VKUXptb1E

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8g59 ... DFRa2tSM2c

Laloosh

Reaction score
lukerguy":tezqkmcf said:
Teams no longer have to honor the run game as they once did on 3rd and short. That's it and only it.

Lynch is averaging 6.71 Y/A on 3rd and short (3 yards or less).

Once you get beyond that (like 3rd and 4), we have never run it more than 19-20% of the time so teams have never had to respect the run in that scenario. That's when Turbin would come in and get ankle tackled at the LoS on a draw or pass block.