I'm With Huard.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
It's not a smokescreen. They know this is rarified air and they aren't in this position ever so they want to do their due diligence because nothing is more valuable than an elite QB on a rookie contract, nothing is even remotely close. Doesn't mean they take one because maybe after looking at it they don't see that guy, or maybe their guy doesn't make it etc. It's not a smokescreen though. Too many things and valuable time spent just to "throw everyone off" John is doing what a great GM should do in that spot. Ignoring it because a 32 year QB had a pretty good season in year 10 is what a bad GM would do.
Agreed. I think Richardson would ball out in a controlled offense run heavy. Really like Levis as well but Hendon Hooker is creeping up in stock lately for whatever reason I like his arm talent and accuracy

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I think taking a QB at 5 would be a luxury the Hawks dont have. SF defensive line is scary to say the least. The Hawks have to compete with that or get destroyed.. IMO taking a QB at 5 would be irrisponsible. But what do I know. I do think that AZ has the same concern its going to be interesting to see if they trade down..
The Hawks are going to be able to get a stud D player if they stay put... thats what i would do.
But... what if... Anthony Richardson turns out to be the best damn QB in league history... bar none.

Picking the right QB in the draft is a 15 year investment.

Picking a stud EDGE player that lasts for 8 to 10 seasons pales by comparison.

cymatica

Reaction score
Pauline was wrong last year.

What is going on is they need to get a team to move up to #3 to take a QB. (The Cards won't trade with the Hawks).

But, the Seahawks need to show strong interest in taking a QB so teams behind them know they have to move in front of them.

The Seahawks want 4 QBs off the board, so they get Will Anderson.

The Cards will likely draft Anderson if they don't trade down. Thus the leak.

If they were this serious about a QB, you wouldn't be reading about it. And seeing a buncha selfies broadcasting to the world their plan.

If the Seahawks want a QB they need to move up #1 or #2. And it feels like CAR and HOU aren't interested in that. Indy at 4 as well.
Imagine being one of those QBs getting all excited to play for the only winning franchise with a top 5 pick, just to find out you were being used as a pawn in the game of draft

WarHawks

Reaction score
Why is the time now? We're not getting one of the 2 top QB's? So why force the issue when you have Geno for 3 yrs? Next years QB class is far superior to this class
Because we won't be picking #5 next year, or close to it.

GemCity

Reaction score
Without giving up the farm, we’re not picking at 5 or below in ‘24.

Fade

Reaction score
But... what if... Anthony Richardson turns out to be the best damn QB in league history... bar none.

Name a QB who only started 13 games in college and went on to the HoF? It never happened.

Now we talkin' GOAT?!

He's more likely to be Trey Lance. The last inexperienced QB to enter the draft rather than the GOAT.

For the record I think he comps out like Justin Fields, might be a Cam Newton. In terms of skillset and playstyle.

But still, based on NFL History, he is far more likely to bust due to the incredible lack of experience and the project he is.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Name a QB who only started 13 games in college and went on to the HoF? It never happened.

Now we talkin' GOAT?!

He's more likely to be Trey Lance. The last inexperienced QB to enter the draft rather than the GOAT.

For the record I think he comps out like Justin Fields, might be a Cam Newton. In terms of skillset and playstyle.

But still, based on NFL History, he is far more likely to bust due to the incredible lack of experience and the project he is.
How many starts did Brady have?

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score

Thats just my opinion. What about Richardson makes you believe that he is going to be the best QB in league history? If he showed that potential in his college career thats one thing but he did not at best he is a high risk pick at 5. In my mind i question if he is worth #20.

Maybe im wrong... maybe the Hawks will take him at 5. Carroll loves players with extraordinary talent thats not a secret.

With the way the Niners are building their D, the Hawks have be able to compete with that which means they need studs. What they have now is not going to cut it and they dont have anymore cap space. Again, IMO not taking advantage of the ability to load up on great D talent would be irrisponsible. They dont have the luxury to pick a risky player like Richardson at 5.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Thats just my opinion. What about Richardson makes you believe that he is going to be the best QB in league history? If he showed that potential in his college career thats one thing but he did not at best he is a high risk pick at 5. In my mind i question if he is worth #20.

Maybe im wrong... maybe the Hawks will take him at 5. Carroll loves players with extraordinary talent thats not a secret.

With the way the Niners are building their D, the Hawks have be able to compete with that which means they need studs. What they have now is not going to cut it and they dont have anymore cap space. Again, IMO not taking advantage of the ability to load up on great D talent would be irrisponsible. They dont have the luxury to pick a risky player like Richardson at 5.
The niners won’t keep that D together very long. Unless some guys take a pay cut

onanygivensunday

Reaction score

The problem is there is no Bosa (either one) or Garrett or Watt (either one) in this draft. Carter could have been generational... but he doesn't seem to have the drive/discipline/desire to be special.

Richardson can be special. He may not be, but given the opportunity I would take that chance and draft him at #5 overall.

CPHawk

Reaction score
The problem is there is no Bosa (either one) or Garrett or Watt (either one) in this draft. Carter could have been generational... but he doesn't seem to have the drive/discipline/desire to be special.

Richardson can be special. He may not be, but given the opportunity I would take that chance and draft him at #5 overall.
The difference? Get Carter on the Bosa and Watt’s cycle.

Mick063

Reaction score
I not only say no to a 1st day running back, I'll say hell, no!

There is no better example of how injury prone running backs are than our own team. Besides, unlike a quarterback or offensive tackle, they're not on the field for all 3 downs. Plus the game has changed. It's no longer running back centric.

I could be talked into burning one of our two 2nd round picks on a running back, but my preference is that we wait until at least the 3rd round before we even consider one.
So the trade for Marshawn Lynch was not advisable? Has the game changed so much that Beastmode couldn't even make an impact anymore? Running backs get injured so much that the team shouldn't invest in them?

Every position is vulnerable to injury. Which is why depth is important. Especially running back depth.

If K9 goes down, Pete's entire offense philosophy goes down. Pete isn't "Air Coryell." He is more like "Ground Chuck" (What we used to call Chuck Knox). If you think the game has passed the running back position by, then you must believe that Pete Carroll's football philosophy doesn't' work anymore. Pete may pass the ball for chunk plays, but he prefers to run the ball to move the chains. He basically wants to force the safeties toward the line of scrimmage in run support, because he knows this opens up the long pass. He doesn't want to "dink and dunk". He wants to play action to buy an extra second for the deep throw. Play action requires a competent run game.

I personally love his ideology. Stout defense, efficient ground game, play action pass, and it is just too much of a load to put entirely on K9. Regardless, if it doesn't always come to fruition, it definitely is his vision.

You know what the biggest comeback in NFL history was all about? It was the Bills coming back from a 35-3 deficit. You know why that happened? Because the "Run and Shoot", pedal to the metal, four wide receiver offense that the Oilers ran couldn't chew up clock in the fourth quarter. They literally didn't have a "four minute" offense to end the game with. You cannot tell me that the run game has been relegated to insignificance. It is how you comfortably close out games. Further, if the run game was insignificant, then there would be little regard for shoring up Seattle's 30th ranked run defense. After all, stopping the run doesn't matter anymore. Right? The fact that Seattle couldn't get their defense off of the field should have driven home the point that the run game is extremely important and effective.

Last edited:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

I don't get why people keep calling Carter a "generational talent". He is not a generational talent. His collegiate stats aren't impressive compared to some of the other top defensive lineman. He doesn't look in particular like he's an athletic specimen. Against Ohio State he was getting pushed around.

Is he talented? Sure, generational talent? Absolutely not. Carter is not some "can't miss prospect" that only comes along once in a blue moon. Therein lies the problem with Carter when compounded with his other issues.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
So the trade for Marshawn Lynch was not advisable? Has the game changed so much that Beastmode couldn't even make an impact anymore? Running backs get injured so much that the team shouldn't invest in them?

Every position is vulnerable to injury. Which is why depth is important. Especially running back depth.

If K9 goes down, Pete's entire offense philosophy goes down. Pete isn't "Air Coryell." He is more like "Ground Chuck" (What we used to call Chuck Knox). If you think the game has passed the running back position by, then you must believe that Pete Carroll's football philosophy doesn't' work anymore. Pete may pass the ball for chunk plays, but he prefers to run the ball to move the chains. He basically wants to force the safeties toward the line of scrimmage in run support, because he knows this opens up the long pass. He doesn't want to "dink and dunk". He wants to play action to buy an extra second for the deep throw. Play action requires a competent run game.

I personally love his ideology. Stout defense, efficient ground game, play action pass, and it is just too much of a load to put entirely on K9. Regardless, if it doesn't always come to fruition, it definitely is his vision.

You know what the biggest comeback in NFL history was all about? It was the Bills coming back from a 35-3 deficit. You know why that happened? Because the "Run and Shoot", pedal to the metal, four wide receiver offense that the Oilers ran couldn't chew up clock in the fourth quarter. They literally didn't have a "four minute" offense to end the game with. You cannot tell me that the run game has been relegated to insignificance. It is how you comfortably close out games. Further, if the run game was insignificant, then there would be little regard for shoring up Seattle's 30th ranked run defense. After all, stopping the run doesn't matter anymore. Right? The fact that Seattle couldn't get their defense off of the field should have driven home the point that the run game is extremely important and effective.
First off, we got Marshawn Lynch for a 4th round pick. We didn't spend a day one pick on him. We got immense value out of that trade. The Seahawks would have been stupid not to take that trade.

Secondly, not drafting a RB day one =/= not caring about the running game. The RB position is a short lived position and it's also the easiest of the skill positions to plug and play. We already have a great player in K9, what we need now is a role player to fill in the gaps. With Dallas as our third down back, K9 as our bellcow all we need is someone for those tough yards. That doesn't call for a first day pick.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It's impossible to tell if it's a smokescreen or not. It's a poker game, but unlike a card game, we can't even see if they're sweating or not. Heck, they might not even know themselves who they'd pick under what circumstances. As a matter of fact, I'd be very surprised if they've decided on a definite draft day strategy.
That’s fair I’m just basing off the fact that they’ve now decided to meet privately with Richardsons coach. Sure I can’t know for sure but I’d guess John is at least considering a QB. I could be wrong tho

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Carter has too many red flags to pick as a #5. And literally THE worst red flag you likely can find.
Is there any NFL player that turned out to be a star despite issues with lack of work ethic? (Maybe Harvin? But he is more a cautionary tale than a success story)

With few exceptions, likely the biggest red flag you can have in the draft is lack of work ethic. It almost trumps everything else. Lack of a love of the game is big too - but people with little work ethic rarely deliver for whatever team picks them.

Most of the other red flags - drug use, DV accusations, or even criminal history?
You can overlook if the player produces enough. But lack of work ethic is the big killer.
(Unless we all feel that Carter is hammered with survivor's guilt, which is the root of his inability to finish drills or stay in shape now. Problem is concerns about his work ethic predate his accident...)

Carroll likes to roll the die on high-risk, high-upside picks (remember Metcalf was one) and it often works. But work ethic concerns might make Carter too high a pick at #15, and a HELL NO at #5.

Mick063

Reaction score
First off, we got Marshawn Lynch for a 4th round pick. We didn't spend a day one pick on him. We got immense value out of that trade. The Seahawks would have been stupid not to take that trade.

Secondly, not drafting a RB day one =/= not caring about the running game. The RB position is a short lived position and it's also the easiest of the skill positions to plug and play. We already have a great player in K9, what we need now is a role player to fill in the gaps. With Dallas as our third down back, K9 as our bellcow all we need is someone for those tough yards. That doesn't call for a first day pick.
First off, there is no doubt in anybody's mind that Lynch, at that point of his young career, is DEFINITELY the value of an early day one pick. Seattle gave up two firsts for Jamaal Adams. Are you trying to convince me that, in hindsight, knowing what they now know about Lynch, they wouldn't give up the equivalent for him? Knowing what we know now, if they had the equivalent draft capital in their back pocket, and had to make a choice between Lynch or Adams, who do you think they would choose?

Further, there is no such thing as a "short lived" position. There is only the rookie deal or veteran minimum, and that is what levels the playing field for ALL positions. Players are offered to renew (or not) dependent upon their productivity and demonstrated potential of their first four years with a third renewal being quite rare regardless of position except quarterback. THAT is what defines "short lived" because extending into the veteran minimum salary is what defines a given player's tenure. Hence, if a running back typically only lasts eight years, then it is consummate with the salary structure of one renewal. Relatively speaking, that isn't much different than any other position.

Additionally, the league is chock full of "Short lived" positions. Look at what the Rams assembled for their brief Super Bowl window and then look at how they are currently dismantling their expensive roster. The last thing they cared about is the life span of any given player's career. They are only looking for the short-term talent burst to put them over the top. What follows is a cap induced fire sale because no team can escape the inflated salary demands of a roster full of ring bearers. A lot of "short lived" turnover happening there.

Further, because you don't spend #5 on a running back, the resultant "trade down" parlay is defined as quantitatively more than just a running back. It is in addition to another valuable position player chosen on day one as well. In fact, for that #5 pick, Seattle could get day one picks of both a nose tackle and a running back with the running back likely being the best back in the draft and the nose tackle probably being a first-year starter.

Last edited: