I'm With Huard.

olyfan63

Reaction score
No first day quarterbacks please. Stop the run game. Or better yet, find the next Marshawn Lynch. Is there another Chubb out there?
Bijian Robinson is your man, in this draft. Unlikely to be available at #20 though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No first day quarterbacks please. Stop the run game. Or better yet, find the next Marshawn Lynch. Is there another Chubb out there?

Robinson is the #1 RB in this year's draft, but not at 5.

Maybe at 20? But he probably won't last that long, he's REALLY good.

I do think we take a RB though by round 3, if we learned anything from the post Beastmode era in Seattle, you desperately need two dependable productive RB's in this offense. Walker's fantastic, but if we'd like his career to last beyond 2-3 years, you can't keep having him take 80% of the snaps. Gotta get another bell cow back.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think Gibbs could be close too, he's a really good back as well

RiverDog

Reaction score
I not only say no to a 1st day running back, I'll say hell, no!

There is no better example of how injury prone running backs are than our own team. Besides, unlike a quarterback or offensive tackle, they're not on the field for all 3 downs. Plus the game has changed. It's no longer running back centric.

I could be talked into burning one of our two 2nd round picks on a running back, but my preference is that we wait until at least the 3rd round before we even consider one.

HawksNation

Reaction score
Enticing QBs in next year's draft, as well. Maybe smokescreen to trade down a couple of slots for an additional 1st next year...could still possibly snag Carter, or pivot to another DL in the top 10.
If we could trade down to a few and walk away with a 2024 1st rounder, sets us up nicely for a QB in 24’ draft.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If we could trade down to a few and walk away with a 2024 1st rounder, sets us up nicely for a QB in 24’ draft
Assuming we're picking mid to late 1st round next year, I don't see any team at #1 or #2 trading all the way down to us, even with a couple 1st's offered. The time is now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I not only say no to a 1st day running back, I'll say hell, no!

There is no better example of how injury prone running backs are than our own team. Besides, unlike a quarterback or offensive tackle, they're not on the field for all 3 downs. Plus the game has changed. It's no longer running back centric.

I could be talked into burning one of our two 2nd round picks on a running back, but my preference is that we wait until at least the 3rd round before we even consider one.

Kinda where I'm at.

This is a deep RB draft, so I'm sure John can find really good value around the 3rd round to get a productive back.

chrispy

Reaction score
If we could trade down to a few and walk away with a 2024 1st rounder, sets us up nicely for a QB in 24’ draft.
2 first rounders next year gives options. Remember #5 was expected to be #30-32 by a lot of experts. We can't predict what's going to happen in 3 weeks. No way to predict what happens in 12 months. If a trade back for an extra '24 #1 is an option, I love the idea that the RCW trade legacy continues to pay out....

olyfan63

Reaction score
I don't buy the smokescreen angle. I believe that P&J are genuinely looking at all four QBs if not to draft them this year, then to thoroughly scout them for potentially adding to the Hawks roster way down the road. They done that before and they're doing that now.

If Richardson or Levis are there at #5 and Anderson is gone, I'd say that the odds are better than 50/50 that they go with a QB at #5.
I also think PC & JS are putting forth an inordinate amount of time and energy visiting all the QBs for it to be 100% a smokescreen. But I do think there is a partial smokescreen element to it. I agree that getting to know the QBs for down-the-road potential relationships is a plausible additional reason. After all, look at the careers of Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold, among others, and closer to home, Drew Lock. That's still not quite enough to explain the time and attention investment. Which then suggests the Hawks are serious about taking one of these guys, or maybe they're just honing their QB evaluation skills for next year. If I had to guess, which assuredly will be wrong, I'd guess their priorities to be:

1) Luring other QB-fixated teams to trade up ABOVE the Seahawks, to ensure a non-QB player the Seahawks covet will be there, most likely Will Anderson Jr
- Keep the Cards from getting Anderson Jr. and having to face him twice a season

2) Getting other QB-fixated teams to trade up WITH the Seahawks, to get additional draft capital to snag ONE MORE PLAYER the Seahawks covet, e.g.,
- Trade back to #9, get an additional 2nd rounder, still snag Jalen Carter at #9 (random guess), and pick up a G/C OL or LB in the 2nd, maybe pick up Bobby Wagner II* in the 2nd

3) Identify which QBs are worth picking or potentially trading up for (trade up seems low probability)
- Are Richardson and Levis worth drafting, and if so, where? And over other QBs projected to go later but that Seattle likes?

It seems like there is a group of players between #5 and #20 where the talent/impact differentiation isn't that great, and perhaps the Seahawks would rather try to get two of those guys, say #14 and #19, than just get #5 who is only marginally better than #20.

What other plausible explanations are there for all the QB interest by the Seahawks? It's just not quite adding up.

* II = Heir apparent, not BWagz bio-offspring. Counting other teams, Joey Porter Jr. is a bio-offspring who would be a good add IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I also think PC & JS are putting forth an inordinate amount of time and energy visiting all the QBs for it to be 100% a smokescreen. But I do think there is a partial smokescreen element to it. I agree that getting to know the QBs for down-the-road potential relationships is a plausible additional reason. After all, look at the careers of Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold, among others, and closer to home, Drew Lock. That's still not quite enough to explain the time and attention investment. Which then suggests the Hawks are serious about taking one of these guys, or maybe they're just honing their QB evaluation skills for next year. If I had to guess, which assuredly will be wrong, I'd guess their priorities to be:

1) Luring other QB-fixated teams to trade up ABOVE the Seahawks, to ensure a non-QB player the Seahawks covet will be there, most likely Will Anderson Jr
- Keep the Cards from getting Anderson Jr. and having to face him twice a season

2) Getting other QB-fixated teams to trade up WITH the Seahawks, to get additional draft capital to snag ONE MORE PLAYER the Seahawks covet, e.g.,
- Trade back to #9, get an additional 2nd rounder, still snag Jalen Carter at #9 (random guess), and pick up a G/C OL or LB in the 2nd, maybe pick up Bobby Wagner II* in the 2nd

3) Identify which QBs are worth picking or potentially trading up for (trade up seems low probability)
- Are Richardson and Levis worth drafting, and if so, where? And over other QBs projected to go later but that Seattle likes?

It seems like there is a group of players between #5 and #20 where the talent/impact differentiation isn't that great, and perhaps the Seahawks would rather try to get two of those guys, say #14 and #19, than just get #5 who is only marginally better than #20.

What other plausible explanations are there for all the QB interest by the Seahawks? It's just not quite adding up.

* II = Heir apparent, not BWagz bio-offspring. Counting other teams, Joey Porter Jr. is a bio-offspring who would be a good add IMO.

You answered your own question in the first part of your post.

If your only sure thing at 5 is Anderson, you better damn well pull off the biggest smoke screen we love ALL the QB's in the history of QB's so teams think they have to jump ahead of you to get their guy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It's not a smokescreen. They know this is rarified air and they aren't in this position ever so they want to do their due diligence because nothing is more valuable than an elite QB on a rookie contract, nothing is even remotely close. Doesn't mean they take one because maybe after looking at it they don't see that guy, or maybe their guy doesn't make it etc. It's not a smokescreen though. Too many things and valuable time spent just to "throw everyone off" John is doing what a great GM should do in that spot. Ignoring it because a 32 year QB had a pretty good season in year 10 is what a bad GM would do.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
It's not a smokescreen. They know this is rarified air and they aren't in this position ever so they want to do their due diligence because nothing is more valuable than an elite QB on a rookie contract, nothing is even remotely close. Doesn't mean they take one because maybe after looking at it they don't see that guy, or maybe their guy doesn't make it etc. It's not a smokescreen though. Too many things and valuable time spent just to "throw everyone off" John is doing what a great GM should do in that spot. Ignoring it because a 32 year QB had a pretty good season in year 10 is what a bad GM would do.

I think there is some nuance to what exactly constitutes a smokescreen that a lot of people are missing. I believe it is possible to be interested in QBs in the draft class because you genuinely are considering taking one while also creating a sort of smokescreen to the public.

How is this possible? Its in the flashy way Pete and John are going about their business that is uncharateristic of them. They are bringing the whole crew to every school, they are taking these selfies with all the Qbs and posting them all over social media, Pete is discussing on air very candidly about how its a big opportunity to take a QB. Now can anyone remember a time Pete was ever this candid about who they might take in the draft less than a month before the draft no less?

Whether they are actually interested in taking a QB is unknown but imo fairly likely, but they are clearly creating some kind of smokescreen to hide their true intentions.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I think there is some nuance to what exactly constitutes a smokescreen that a lot of people are missing. I believe it is possible to be interested in QBs in the draft class because you genuinely are considering taking one while also creating a sort of smokescreen to the public.

How is this possible? Its in the flashy way Pete and John are going about their business that is uncharateristic of them. They are bringing the whole crew to every school, they are taking these selfies with all the Qbs and posting them all over social media, Pete is discussing on air very candidly about how its a big opportunity to take a QB. Now can anyone remember a time Pete was ever this candid about who they might take in the draft less than a month before the draft no less?

Whether they are actually interested in taking a QB is unknown but imo fairly likely, but they are clearly creating some kind of smokescreen to hide their true intentions.
Yes, that's the thing, they've NEVER been THIS out in the open and public with their pre-draft meetings, that I can recall, social media selfies, whole crew in attendance, and all. Of course, Mr. Unlimited is out of the picture, so they felt they had to keep QB meetings on the down-low when he was here.

Fade

Reaction score
Pauline was wrong last year.

What is going on is they need to get a team to move up to #3 to take a QB. (The Cards won't trade with the Hawks).

But, the Seahawks need to show strong interest in taking a QB so teams behind them know they have to move in front of them.

The Seahawks want 4 QBs off the board, so they get Will Anderson.

The Cards will likely draft Anderson if they don't trade down. Thus the leak.

If they were this serious about a QB, you wouldn't be reading about it. And seeing a buncha selfies broadcasting to the world their plan.

If the Seahawks want a QB they need to move up #1 or #2. And it feels like CAR and HOU aren't interested in that. Indy at 4 as well.

Last edited:

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Draft season is a beautiful time isn't it? The Seahawks playing the game but I do think their interests in QBs are real. Who knows...they may have leaked the news to Pauline. They could have leaked the Titans news. All possibilities.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's not a smokescreen.
It's impossible to tell if it's a smokescreen or not. It's a poker game, but unlike a card game, we can't even see if they're sweating or not. Heck, they might not even know themselves who they'd pick under what circumstances. As a matter of fact, I'd be very surprised if they've decided on a definite draft day strategy.

12forlife

Reaction score
Assuming we're picking mid to late 1st round next year, I don't see any team at #1 or #2 trading all the way down to us, even with a couple 1st's offered. The time is now.
Why is the time now? We're not getting one of the 2 top QB's? So why force the issue when you have Geno for 3 yrs? Next years QB class is far superior to this class

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I wasn't saying Huard said that...I was only referencing that I agree with Huard on the smoke screen angle. I had a premonition dream a month or so back that had us taking Carter at #5. It may mean squat but my premonitions tend to come true.
I think taking a QB at 5 would be a luxury the Hawks dont have. SF defensive line is scary to say the least. The Hawks have to compete with that or get destroyed.. IMO taking a QB at 5 would be irrisponsible. But what do I know. I do think that AZ has the same concern its going to be interesting to see if they trade down..
The Hawks are going to be able to get a stud D player if they stay put... thats what i would do.