I'm With Huard.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Lamar Jackson is on line one holding. šŸ˜

I kidā€¦..but I hear youā€¦.itā€™s not like there is no risk, but after another season the Seahawks would have zero chance of drafting him. So if the JS, has that feelingā€¦ā€¦like when he says, You have to be able to project where these guys are going to be, rather than where they are nowā€¦ā€¦it sure feels like heā€™s talking about someone like AR. I honestly think the Hawks will be I. Great shape if either Richardson or Anderson are available @#5. Either way they go they have tons of draft capital to help the D.

Jackson won two Heisman's and threw for 9,000 yards and almost 70 TD's in college.

I know you're just kidding, but everyone who keeps saying Lamar's just a "running QB" didn't, and still isn't paying attention. Not a good comp at all for Richardson, other than insane athleticism.

Ozzy

Reaction score
If John falls in love with him or Levis for that matter and takes him then I'm confident its less risk than we perceive it to be. As much as we don't want to admit very few of us are experts at evaluation and we're all outsourcing our thoughts to someone else myself included. I just tend to default on elite QB's being much more valuable than any other commodity so I'm likely to be pro QB early by default.

Man this draft is about as intriguing as any in recent memory. I can't wait.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If John falls in love with him or Levis for that matter and takes him then I'm confident its less risk than we perceive it to be. As much as we don't want to admit very few of us are experts at evaluation and we're all outsourcing our thoughts to someone else myself included. I just tend to default on elite QB's being much more valuable than any other commodity so I'm likely to be pro QB early by default.

Man this draft is about as intriguing as any in recent memory. I can't wait.

I'm no expert, but I've yet to read anything from any of the actual experts who think Richardson is even close to NFL caliber QB like Stroud or Young, or even Levis for that matter.

They all say what I'm saying, his measurables are off the charts, but super raw and will need years of development in an NFL system.

So Pete and John thinking it's wise to pull the trigger at 5 on a project QB to sit behind Geno and learn just isn't something I can wrap my head around. From two guys in the last years of their deals and probably don't want to wait 2-3 years for their next QB to be ready. Again, not with so many holes to fill already.

Sexy to talk about for sure though. So here we are.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Carter's play is elite for a Defensive Tackle. In College, you're not gonna find many better. Now, the character & off-field stuff is certainly a red flag and alarming. But on the field? The guy was the most dominate IDL in college Football last season. One or two games (CFP), shouldn't change people's opinion. Six weeks ago, we all would have killed to have the opportunity to take him. This draft is short on blue chip talent. But Jalen Carter is absolutely one.

There are maybe 3-5 guys who are worth a top 5 pick this year imo: 1. Will Anderson, 2. Jalen Carter, 3. Bijan Robinson. You can also make a case for Young & Stroud. But that's about it.

I like Anthony Richardson. But right now, all anyone remembers is his Combine & Pro Day performances & is completely disregarding his actual play (film) last season. Which wasn't great.

What was so great about Richardsons Pro Day? Of the 4 QBs taken IMO it was the least impressive

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Jackson won two Heisman's and threw for 9,000 yards and almost 70 TD's in college.

I know you're just kidding, but everyone who keeps saying Lamar's just a "running QB" didn't, and still isn't paying attention. Not a good comp at all for Richardson, other than insane athleticism.
I thought Jackson won one Heisman? didnā€™t Mayfield win in 2017?

I guess maybe just going on pure stats alone, thatā€™s not a good comp, but knowing everyone here has watched Jackson throw in the NFL and likely at the NCAA level, heā€™s not exactly what one would call an accurate passer. Amassing lots of yards through shear volume doesnā€™t really make one a great passer.

We can disagree on that part. I think ARā€™s passing ability is underrated as it improved throughout the season. i do agree though, that is his weakest part of his gameā€¦.accuracyā€¦.but I thinks its better than people are giving him credit for. His athleticism is ridiculous.ā€¦combined with his sizeā€¦.and his cannon on his right arm. He would be every defenses worst nightmare if they are able to improve his accuracy.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
There's a couple of baseline things about Richardson that makes me okay about drafting him if PC/JS think he's their guy. For one, he's going to be an absolute load to bring down. For two, he's got a cannon for an arm. You put these two things together and teams are going to have to prepare for him in ways they don't have to for most QB's. He'll be a run threat, a QB who'll be able to buy time for his receivers, and probably a nightmare of an off-script/busted play type of QB. I mean, you'll have these things as a baseline to begin with, and then you just hope he develops as a leader/processor/passing QB.
Heā€™s in the physical mold of a young Cam Newton.

Newton was a freight train to bring down for corners and safeties, and even for linebackers.

As far as Iā€™m concerned, MVP, Cam Newton, at that time is probably the greatest athletic QB to ever play in the NFL.

Cam, was like, 6ā€™ 5ā€ 250-260 pounds all muscle QB that can run fast and throw?

Man, thatā€™s insane!

Very few secondary players would be able to bring Richardson down if he gets rolling!

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Heā€™s in the physical mold of a young Cam Newton.

Newton was a freight train to bring down for corners and safeties, and even for linebackers.

As far as Iā€™m concerned, MVP, Cam Newton, at that time is probably the greatest athletic QB to ever play in the NFL.

Cam, was like, 6ā€™ 5ā€ 250-260 pounds all muscle QB that can run fast and throw?

Man, thatā€™s insane!

Very few secondary players would be able to bring Richardson down if he gets rolling!
Crazy part is AR is even faster, while Newton was the bigger dude.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I guess maybe just going on pure stats alone, thatā€™s not a good comp, but knowing everyone here has watched Jackson throw in the NFL and likely at the NCAA level, heā€™s not exactly what one would call an accurate passer. Amassing lots of yards through shear volume doesnā€™t really make one a great passer.

We can disagree on that part. I think ARā€™s passing ability is underrated as it improved throughout the season. i do agree though, that is his weakest part of his gameā€¦.accuracyā€¦.but I thinks its better than people are giving him credit for. His athleticism is ridiculous.ā€¦combined with his sizeā€¦.and his cannon on his right arm. He would be every defenses worst nightmare if they are able to improve his accuracy.

Jackson's passing percentage the past three years is almost 64%, that's in the top half of the league for QB's.

Richardson's wasn't even that in college.

Even the greatest QB's in the history of the league saw a drop in passer rating and comp % when they got to the NFL, and those were QB's that dominated all of these categories in college.

Richardson sure seems like he has all the tool to eventually be a good NFL QB, maybe even great. But the key word here is eventually.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Jackson's passing percentage the past three years is almost 64%, that's in the top half of the league for QB's.

Richardson's wasn't even that in college.

Even the greatest QB's in the history of the league saw a drop in passer rating and comp % when they got to the NFL, and those were QB's that dominated all of these categories in college.

Richardson sure seems like he has all the tool to eventually be a good NFL QB, maybe even great. But the key word here is eventually.
Jacksonā€™s comp% in college was below 60%. It improved in the pros. Josh Allen, below 60% comp% in collegeā€¦.improved in the pros. It doesnā€™t seem to be that rare of an occurrence.
I know you think AR is too risky of pick. No worries. I think his upside is worth it For the Hawks. Especially given the draft capital they would still have to improve the defense. Iā€™m just not as impressed by the other options, although would be just fine with the Hawks taking Anderson, as well, I just see his upside as being less.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jacksonā€™s comp% in college was below 60%. It improved in the pros. Josh Allen, below 60% comp% in collegeā€¦.improved in the pros. It doesnā€™t seem to be that rare of an occurrence.
I know you think AR is too risky of pick. No worries. I think his upside is worth it For the Hawks. Especially given the draft capital they would still have to improve the defense. Iā€™m just not as impressed by the other options, although would be just fine with the Hawks taking Anderson, as well, I just see his upside as being less.

I think he's too risky of a pick at 5.

This team isn't going anywhere without at least 4-5 difference makers on the defensive side of the ball, and now has a Pro Bowl caliber QB who the team believes in and can play well enough to make deep playoff runs.

But only if the defense drastically improves.

Drafting a project QB that's a year or two away from helping the team just doesn't make sense to me. But I know, super sexy QB's make for better conversation than defensive tackles and linebackers.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Emory Hunt who is a very well respected scout and someone who has hit a ton over the years at the QB position has had Richardson as his #1 QB most of the year. He's a film guy and sees a ton of stuff to like and says Florida held AR back more than many people realize. He has talked about him long before this draft process as well. Is he right? I have no clue but I do know he's incredible at this stuff and hits more often then not.

I would argue its very unlikely they hit with even half their picks in this draft. Last year was an outlier, especially for them. They've had many more drafts with 1 at the most hitting. I'm usually very critical of them with their previous drafts but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they fixed some of their process last year and that moving forward they will be better. It's still unlikely more than a couple of defensive players truly are great picks when we look back. I guess I say that to say its not enough to warrant passing on a Mahomes(if you grade someone in that class) because you need more defensive players.

Sarg isn't wrong its just one way of looking at it. I also don't think its wrong to be in the Richardson camp either. I wish we could know how John grades all 4 of the quarterbacks.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is the first draft in a long time where Iā€™m not ā€œtiedā€ to any one ā€˜must haveā€™ player.

If they take Richardson, Iā€™d understand why. Weā€™re not picking at #5 anytime soon again. We need a successor to Geno and unless you believe in Lock, Seattle is in a great position to bring in a guy like Richardson.

If they bring in an IDL like Carterā€¦wellā€¦itā€™s our biggest need. The reports on him havenā€™t been favorable as of late but, Iā€™d get it.

If they trade back and snag a guy like Gonzales or Robinson at 9ish or soā€¦while potentially still grabbing a guy like Smith, Iā€™d get that too.

Besides doing something absolutely insane in this yearā€™s draft, I donā€™t see how we can fudge this one up. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s not possible but, youā€™ve got to like our chances here regardless of who we take (or donā€™t take) at 5.

Most pre-draft excitement of all time? It is for me.

I will add this opinionā€¦.itā€™s hit or miss of course. But, if JS and PC do take Richardson, I expect him to be an absolute nightmare to deal with in 2-3 years.

Any other guy we take in that spot, we obviously expect big things from them. Maybe Pro-Bowl caliber once they get their feet wet. But if itā€™s Richardsonā€¦..my bet is that heā€™s going to be Mike Vick 2.0.

Maybe a bit unfair to the kid but my expectations are simply based off of how damn good we drafted last year.

April 27th canā€™t get here fast enoughā€¦
In the drafts Behring and his son the GM ran are examples on how to screw up drafts. Yes we got Tez one year, but many of the rest......

CactusJack

Reaction score
The Draft Networkā€™s Tony Pauline reported something similar, saying that ā€œspeculation from league insidersā€ is Seattle wants to jump up to No. 3 overall to get Richardson.
Tony Pauline also reported that we we're in on Trevor Penning & Desmond Ridder. The guy doesn't seem to have legit sources. Just speculation.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This year's draft will undoubtedly cause some folks feathers to be ruffled no matter who the FO picks. As others have observed this is is lying season and there is all sorts of misdirection happening. I'm sure P n' J are not strangers to making that happen either.

The team could draft a QB or not, Carter or not, Anderson or not, or trade down a short way or a long way or not. The team is keeping their cards held close, with no tipping of their hand to give us clues.

We truly have zero clue whether the team will in fact focus upon the DLine, the OLine, a QB that is ready or needs to be developed or otherwise. The draft is still a good way away allowing for continuing speculation. This speculation certainly creates intrigue and interest.

I don't know if Huard is right or not. However after last year I do have confidence the team will draft quality players when they pick. I certainly will be paying close attention.

WarHawks

Reaction score
None of what you say about Richardson is wrong, but he's also barely a one year starter and is somewhere around #100 in the nation in accuracy stats.

Every team including us would be FAR more comfortable taking him in the top 5, or even 10 if he had another year or two under his belt.

Sure every pick is a gamble, but when you have a top 5 pick? You're trying to mitigate and hedge against that gamble as much as possible. This is why I don't think we're drafting Richardson, just too much uncertainty and body of work to scout to land on "yeah he's our guy, and we're 100% committed that he can become a great NFL QB."

That makes no sense to me. The one position in the NFL where just being an amazing athlete isn't good enough.
Because QB's are always way overvalued. If you want a potential rookie qb1, you generally have to overpay for him.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I think he's too risky of a pick at 5.

This team isn't going anywhere without at least 4-5 difference makers on the defensive side of the ball, and now has a Pro Bowl caliber QB who the team believes in and can play well enough to make deep playoff runs.

But only if the defense drastically improves.

Drafting a project QB that's a year or two away from helping the team just doesn't make sense to me. But I know, super sexy QB's make for better conversation than defensive tackles and linebackers.
What are the chances we get 4-5 difference makers this year in the draft? The next two years?

As I have argued before, AR developing aligns with the timeliness this team likely has for a real chance of competing for the SB. By the time they find 4-5 difference makers in the draft, Geno might have regressed and then we will be right back to last year hoping for a QB.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Richardson's inexperience is also his greatest draw, from the standpoint that if he stayed in college, he would most certainly improve, and would likely be the consensus #1 pick in a year or two. Maybe not, but it seems unlikely he wouldn't. Yes, it's a huge gamble. No idea if J&P think it's worth the risk, but I could see why they might. It's probably all a moot point anyway, because he could very easily get picked before us.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What are the chances we get 4-5 difference makers this year in the draft? The next two years?

As I have argued before, AR developing aligns with the timeliness this team likely has for a real chance of competing for the SB. By the time they find 4-5 difference makers in the draft, Geno might have regressed and then we will be right back to last year hoping for a QB.

Well you're certainly not going to get a difference maker on defense by using a generational important pick on a QB.