If Geno leaves

QWERTY

Reaction score
If Geno leaves to TB or NO or to any other team, would that affect the teams decision on signing free agents from other teams? Also if he gets paid 35 mill a year is that worth a 3rd or 4th comp pick?

Mase

Reaction score
-- I think it absolutely would. It would be like a flow chart at that point. Do you think Lock was just a step behind and is a serviceable starter, like Geno. If yes, then resign him, and use the "Geno" money to pursue more free agents.
If No, do we want to use Free agency or the draft to address QB (maybe both). If Free Agency, get it done, commit the draft to rebuilding the defense. If draft, identify the one you want and pull the trigger. Move up if you have to.. I do think Geno is obviously the first domino.

Mase

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Keep Geno!
My first thought was Franchise but that hurts the cap.
Get rid of Harris and pay Geno and stretch over a few years. Clear this up before draft.
Keep all picks until draft day!

flv2

Reaction score
If Smith leaves the Seahawks will be in a similar situation to last year, except they'll have a better O-Line, a much cheaper playing squad, and a much improved cap situation.

...and they'll have significant Draft capital to work with.

massari

Reaction score
It's fine if they're adding actual difference makers. I wouldn't not sign Javon Hargrave/Daron Payne over losing the 100th overall comp pick. The problem is when they sign FA journeymen and lose those picks like in 2018:

Mingo cancels Graham 4th rd comp pick
E.Dickson cancels S.Richardson 4th rd comp
J.Brown cancels P.Richardson 5th rd comp
Stephen cancels Willson 7th rd comp

Tumblr lm1tdeOQjY1qbzd8o

Last edited:

massari

Reaction score
I think they'd go with Lock. Good upside, would probably be cheaper than any of those guys, and knows the system.
Just saying there're plenty of cheap options available, not only Lock.

Last edited:

hawks85

Reaction score
Regardless of what people think, I still believe Lock won the QB competition last year. No doubt Smith had a good year, but if he leaves to TB with the QB coach, so be it, I really don't care. Lock is 5-6 younger anyway and I believe he'll surpass Smith's stats. Lock has an interception issue, but so does Smith and a handful of other QB's in the league.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I watched the preseason. Didn't see Lock win much.

It may have been the Covid. Maybe he'll surprise us this year.

rcaido

Reaction score
We should celebrate. Geno played and prove everyone wrong. Still the 2nd half of the season he was not good at all. We should try to find a really cheap QB and improve the team overall, especially on defense. I think he will get close to 40million from another team which we hopefully wont match.

Torc

Reaction score
Regardless of what people think, I still believe Lock won the QB competition last year. No doubt Smith had a good year, but if he leaves to TB with the QB coach, so be it, I really don't care. Lock is 5-6 younger anyway and I believe he'll surpass Smith's stats. Lock has an interception issue, but so does Smith and a handful of other QB's in the league.
What evidence do you have that Lock won the QB competition? It sure wasn't in preseason play - in fairness he didn't get much time due to illness, but what we saw wasn't better than Geno.

OP
OP
Q

QWERTY

Reaction score
What evidence do you have that Lock won the QB competition? It sure wasn't in preseason play - in fairness he didn't get much time due to illness, but what we saw wasn't better than Geno.

Maybe training camp news where Lock had like 3 TD's or 5 TD's.

But you have to ignore his last game because didn't he had covid-19 a few days before the game?

Torc

Reaction score
Maybe training camp news where Lock had like 3 TD's or 5 TD's.

But you have to ignore his last game because didn't he had covid-19 a few days before the game?
Yeah. If I had to give him a letter grade it would be an "incomplete". I don't feel like I, as a fan, got a good idea of his ability. I'm not saying he's bad, also not saying he's better than Geno. I just don't know.

But I bet Pete has a better picture of his abilities than I do.

chrispy

Reaction score
There will be a competitive QB situation in TC...regardless of whether Geno stays or not. JS will have 2 FA signings and a rookie if Geno stays and probably the same if he leaves. They'll look different (where the rookie is drafted and who the FAs are), but it'll be the same as Matt Flynn, the same as TJack...3way competition and the best man wins. After the draft, we can guess who will win the competition but we can't predict it. At this point, we don't even have any idea who's competing.

warden

Reaction score
It depends on what the Seahawks think about the available QBs in the draft. Depends if the Seahawk thinks that certain QB they would target will still be there at the five spot

Latest posts