I was wrong! You haters were right!

Mase

Reaction score
-- Having said that. If Dublonski or Nick Bellore are on the field at LB, yes, we are screwed. If Geno starts 17 games, five wins is generous. He has zero spark for a 10 year vet. Not saying its playoffs with Lock, but at least he is a curiosity whereas I consider Smith to be you get what you see.
-- The tackling has been obscene, but you can say many things about Carroll and his staffs over the years, but I don't worry about the tackling getting better. I think defensive our firsts will be a solid unit and very good by seasons end, but the depth is a huge concern. I hope we pick up a couple of inside LBs after the next round of cuts.
-- Just not going to overreact to one horrible game. Cross will settle down, tackling will improve, starters will show why they are starters..... But Geno will still be Geno.

Mase

GemCity

Reaction score
One thing that stuck out to me was that every time they showed Coach Carroll's face, he looked shocked, and miffed...like someone was stealing his french fries.

I can totally understand him talking positively about Geno in the press conferences, etc., I mean... that's what a good coach does. But to look utterly perplexed by the result of individual plays, especially with rookies and depth players in the game, it just really seems like he has no idea WHY they look so bad.

On the other side, Eberflus looked cool, focused, and was taking bad plays in stride...like it's pre-season, where bad plays are supposed to happen...and then they can be corrected.

Don't get me wrong, I love coach, and I'm appreciative of what he's done for our beloved franchise...but if he's going to continuously preach competition, stick by those words. If he's going to run out vanilla game plans in preseason, don't look so shocked when they get blown up. Don't run a career backup out there and be surprised he isn't making plays.

Carroll's reactions are starting to remind me of my old uncle who used to sh*t his pants, then wonder why he was sitting in a dung pile.
Lmao. I appreciate Pete as well. I really do. But, way before our 13x of running into a stacked box during our Wildcard game against Dallas, I started to lose faith in our offense and wondered why we didn’t..*ahem* let Russ cook.
Folks will come up with all kinds of asinine arguments as to why that wouldn’t work but, even through these forums, I’m getting a feeling that even the RW haters are either beginning to see the truth or will certainly know by game 4.

But, there will be several other excuses that mask the truth. I haven’t heard the phrase “Pete only needs a game manager “ in several weeks now. Those that advocated for Lock and said Geno is just as serviceable as Russ are rather quiet.

Reality is that our QB room stinks and after several years of mismanagement (to include trading a franchise QB), we’re going to suck.

All you can do now is try with all your might to support the current regime and enjoy watching the youngsters develop.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
There isn't many opportune times to use the word portend, but this definitely is one of them. As depressing as it is, I recommend doing something about that all consuming mountain of crap we call life.

Nah, screw that, just go fishing.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
They looked pathetic and the 'its just preseason' excuse doesn't work when they are bad at fundamental football things.

Ive watched a few other preseason games this year and I haven't seen a team look as completely punchless, toothless, and clueless as the seahawks did last night.

And the vets who haven't played much that are supposedly coming to save you? On offense the only big difference are your two receivers, but they dont matter much without a QB who can't get them the ball, and if your defense can't tackle then we'll just have to get used to seeing Brooks do all the work after every 8 yard run.

"it's just preaseason" - true, but there ain't a lot of help coming.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If you push a snowball down the hill it gets bigger than it should be. Our guys are young and had no chance to improve with game 2 coming so soon after game 1. Because they are young they will learn fast with experience. It's mistakes and lack of discipline by older veteran players that most concerns me.
Basing an opinion for the future on what we witnessed last night is like trying to graduate from high school as a second grader. It will take some time for our roster to get it together, but when they do they will be a strong team. After all, rolling that snowball uphill is an assignment that takes time to complete, even if there is a meltdown while you are pushing it.
Buck up, We have a new set of downs coming.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Also, Keep in mind the majority of whom played, most of which are young and inexperienced did travel about 6, 000+ miles and had to be ready in like 4 days of work.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
The haters are the ones who wanted to keep Pete and ditch Russ. That is the irony.

With Russ and a new coach like a Nathaniel Hackett type, you could start anew.

Instead the haters won. They got Pete and the QB carousel, it's gonna be like this for years to come.

But the people who didn't want this were branded "haters." It's ironic.
The irony is how the extreme negativity of your posts based upon a preseason game designed and played for development and assessment of many young players is all about the team going forward and not the result of the particular game played.

Winning preseason games is nice but the learning that will come from a mistake-filled showing is much riper for growth and development.

As is the case with Pete Carroll's teams, the beginning of the season will likely look ugly as do the beginning of games - the growth, the process, the bigger picture is what really matters.

My only suggestion to the people headed for the cliff is to find a tropical beach, ditch your devices, and enjoy life. Clearly watching football is a bit too much for you.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Can’t place any stock in preseason when you’re trying to avoid injury like we saw with Damien yesterday. There’s twos and threes mostly. The last preseason game you want your ones to go out and have one sharp series then pull them. That’s it

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You are being very optimistic LLA.

Let's hope you are correct.

The Wilson vs Carroll debate is over. We lost. Carroll is the guy we got.

We just have hope that the wheels have not fallen off Carroll.

This looks like a poorly coached team to me, but this is preseason. It worries me that Carroll tends to try to win these.

We will see next week.

But so far, everything some of us have been worried about, and pounding the table to try to avoid - is seemingly happening. Almost note for note.
I would rather you be right than me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Can’t place any stock in preseason when you’re trying to avoid injury like we saw with Damien yesterday. There’s twos and threes mostly. The last preseason game you want your ones to go out and have one sharp series then pull them. That’s it

You're right, but you can take stock and worry about consistent things we're now seeing after two pre-season games.

Still terrible tackling, still confusion about assignments, still bad special teams play, still too many penalties. and most importantly still mediocre QB play.

These are all things that can and will carry into the regular season.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
...So this kind of failure isn't a great sign....
Now I understand. You see the result of this game, or an individual play, or a trade, or a draft choice, or <inset your thought> as a binary concept.

I now get what you are doing though I'm not certain what your payoff is except believing you are right and all others not in line are wrong.

The world is much brighter and less filled with monsters when you can accept the possibilities that you cannot see.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
You're right, but you can take stock and worry about consistent things we're now seeing after two pre-season games.

Still terrible tackling, still confusion about assignments, still bad special teams play, still too many penalties. and most importantly still mediocre QB play.

These are all things that can and will carry into the regular season.
13 penalties in a preseason game might be the league record. The refs just hate Pete

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The haters are the ones who wanted to keep Pete and ditch Russ. That is the irony.

With Russ and a new coach like a Nathaniel Hackett type, you could start anew.

Instead the haters won. They got Pete and the QB carousel, it's gonna be like this for years to come.

But the people who didn't want this were branded "haters." It's ironic.
Don't BS yourself, that sh!tty feeling I had yesterday? yeah, I felt the EXACT SAME WAY, in SEVERAL games when Russell Wilson stunk them up.
Neither Pete, nor Russ were the only reason we WON, or LOST games.
That game yesterday was chock full of misfires by a bunch of rookies & guys that are likely not even going to be playing football in the NFL after a couple more weeks...The herd is thinnin' out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
13 penalties in a preseason game might be the league record. The refs just hate Pete

I didn't see one penalty that was questionable. Cross had what, four false stars alone?

Sloppy all the way around, and that's coaching not the refs. I get that this team is young, but no excuses for Pete and his staff to not clean this stuff up.

Because if they don't? This is going to get ugly quick.

Fade

Reaction score
The irony is how the extreme negativity of your posts based upon a preseason game designed and played for development and assessment of many young players is all about the team going forward and not the result of the particular game played.

Winning preseason games is nice but the learning that will come from a mistake-filled showing is much riper for growth and development.

As is the case with Pete Carroll's teams, the beginning of the season will likely look ugly as do the beginning of games - the growth, the process, the bigger picture is what really matters.

My only suggestion to the people headed for the cliff is to find a tropical beach, ditch your devices, and enjoy life. Clearly watching football is a bit too much for you.
The team is poorly prepared, poorly coached, and uninspired. Hard for the young players to grow and develop in that environment.

Regression is what you're going to see. Like how it's been for YEARS, just no longer having a Franchise QB to mask it.

I'm going to keep watching, I love it, good or bad. But the difference is I'm not going to pretend and live in neverland when it's going bad, I'm always going to tell it like it is.

If Pete was good I would say so. He's not.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I didn't see one penalty that was questionable. Cross had what, four false stars alone?

Sloppy all the way around, and that's coaching not the refs. I get that this team is young, but no excuses for Pete and his staff to not clean this stuff up.

Because if they don't? This is going to get ugly quick.
I was being facetious but carry on

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Now I understand. You see the result of this game, or an individual play, or a trade, or a draft choice, or <inset your thought> as a binary concept.

I now get what you are doing though I'm not certain what your payoff is except believing you are right and all others not in line are wrong.

The world is much brighter and less filled with monsters when you can accept the possibilities that you cannot see.
What are you talking about LLA?

I predicted most of this slide since the trade of Unger.

What am I doing?
I am frustrated we are leaving chips on the table. I can see us clearly doing it. And there is nothing that can be done to stop it.

So you vent. Because that is how people handle frustration with something obvious that you have no power to impact.

I don't need to be right.
One of my favorite things is watching all the great Seahawk highlights and going through all the great Seahawk plays on different sports media most of Monday morning. That is weirdly even more fun than leaving a game we just won. (maybe because I hate the drive from there)

It keeps getting harder and harder to do the whole 'basking in the glow of our win or incredible plays' now.

You being right or me being wrong, or someone else being right is so much more preferable.

Fade

Reaction score
Don't BS yourself, that sh!tty feeling I had yesterday? yeah, I felt the EXACT SAME WAY, in SEVERAL games when Russell Wilson stunk them up.
Neither Pete, nor Russ were the only reason we WON, or LOST games.
That game yesterday was chock full of misfires by a bunch of rookies & guys that are likely not even going to be playing football in the NFL after a couple more weeks...The herd is thinnin' out.
Wilson was the highest graded QB in the NFL per PFF before his injury. The Seahawks still had a losing record in spite of this fact.

He came back too soon, and played bad for several games. But by the end of the year he was playing great once again. He was not the problem with the Seahawks, and anyone who thinks that, well... your getting what you wanted, enjoy. 😉