I Was All Wrong

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Not even sure this is fair
He wasnt that bad last year being thrown in the fire
With the way he is playing, not sure it matters the offense. He's at the top of his game
Agreed. Geno looked fine to good last year. He came off the bench and immediately marched the Seahawks down the field against the Rams.

He suffered from some rust and some bad luck/officiating, but otherwise I didn't understand what people were watching when they thought he was going to be a dumpster fire or something.

I think part of it was just watching a QB who actually played in an offense versus ad-libbing so much like Russ. It's such a radical departure from what we'd become accustomed to since Pete started turning the team more and more over to Russ that because Geno wasn't throwing out miracle plays at the end of games he must 'suck'.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
There was a thread several weeks back with most of the posts wanting the 49ers, a division rival, to beat the Broncos.
They valued a higher draft pick than coming in atop the division over the 49ers and getting to the playoffs. That told me everything about their confidence in Geno Smith.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
There was a thread several weeks back with most of the posts wanting the 49ers, a division rival, to beat the Broncos.
They valued a higher draft pick than coming in atop the division over the 49ers and getting to the playoffs. That told me everything about their confidence in Geno Smith.
Yeah it's weird to choose a higher draft pick over a possibe playoff game, but I think some people want the best of both worlds. 49ers beat the Broncos to give us a higher draft pic and Seahawks still win the division.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Hell, I was one of them, honestly. Wacky stuff.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I dont understand why its viewed as an insult that people weren't confident in Geno. He's been a journeyman QB for a decade. It's not often if ever those guys hit all the sudden. I think it was reasonable to be a little skeptical. It seems like people are using this to prove their super fandom and if you didn't think Geno was an all pro you aren't a true fan. If you thought he was going to be this good, then good for you. Most didn't and it was reasonable to be skeptical. I think at this point most people are just enjoying the success.

BASF

Reaction score
I dont understand why its viewed as an insult that people weren't confident in Geno. He's been a journeyman QB for a decade. It's not often if ever those guys hit all the sudden. I think it was reasonable to be a little skeptical. It seems like people are using this to prove their super fandom and if you didn't think Geno was an all pro you aren't a true fan. If you thought he was going to be this good, then good for you. Most didn't and it was reasonable to be skeptical. I think at this point most people are just enjoying the success.
There is a vast difference between being skeptical and calling him most of the things that many on this board did.

Ozzy

Reaction score
There is a vast difference between being skeptical and calling him most of the things that many on this board did.
Maybe, I didn't pay a ton of attention. I can say I didn't expect this at all but I'm glad to be wrong. I think its still early for people to plant the flag but I will say every week he chips away at the narrative.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Wait, wouldn't those who wanted the Niners to win be the ones with the most confidence in Geno/ this team. They are the ones willing to spot the Niners a win, believing that Geno/ this team is good enough to overcome the deficit.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Geno never showed anything like his current play at any point in his career. I am ecstatic he is playing like this but no rational person saw this coming. Its an absolutely incredible transformation of his career. I am enjoying it thoroughly.
I have to disagree just a little, as last year (with a very small sample size), Geno came off the 'Backups Bench', shook off the cobwebs and completed like 13 consecutive passes in a row, which told me that he had some major skills that had just been gathering dust.
And then in this last Off Season, I'd read where he'd gotten together with a Quarterbacks Coach and was working on & showing that his talents were being wasted while 'riding the pine', now granted, it came as a pleasant surprise that he'd be able to take those same skills to the level he's now playing.
How much better can he become as everybody on Offense gets on the same page & starts melding?
Something that's NOT being discussed is just how long he can CONTINUE to play at this level.. 5 years? 10 years?

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Wait, wouldn't those who wanted the Niners to win be the ones with the most confidence in Geno/ this team. They are the ones willing to spot the Niners a win, believing that Geno/ this team is good enough to overcome the deficit.

Thank you for pointing out the logical fallacy there.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Those with the most confidence in Geno aren't desperate to get their new savior QB via draft. The Seahawks have a QB now, right?

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Sure, we're so confident in Geno it's all Go 49ers, Go Rams!

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Those with the most confidence in Geno aren't desperate to get their new savior QB via draft. The Seahawks have a QB now, right?
you do realize geno is a free agent after this season? at the level he's playing it will cost somewhere between 20m-40m a year for a team to sign him. he has his options.

also, why is drafting a qb a bad investment?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Now? Yes. Next year? Not yet.

Are you suggesting that a top-5 pick no longer retains value, to teams that have a franchise quarterback?

There are other key positions to fill in this draft (if we re-up Geno), and, if we don't want to take someone in the first 5 picks, we can likely trade that for 2 late first rounders, or a mid-first plus early second.

Last edited:

had2bhawk

Reaction score
you do realize geno is a free agent after this season? at the level he's playing it will cost somewhere between 20m-40m a year for a team to sign him. he has his options.

also, why is drafting a qb a bad investment?
I would think a drafted QB is a legit investment but, paying Geno 30-40 m is crazy. 20-25m ok. Get a QB in later rounds and if Geno thinks he is worth more than 25m let him shop.