How's everyone feeling ?

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty clear after Russell was traded and Bobby was released that this was a rebuild year, or even two.

Weird to see fans so despondent after a bad loss.

I'm shaky on Pete too, but our last two drafts have been good, and we have some exciting core pieces moving forward. It just won't be this year.

I know that's hard for some fans to hear, especially newer fans who didn't experience the first 25 years of terrible Hawk football. But this is how it goes during a rebuild. Going to be more bad games than good ones for a couple years.
I really don't understand how anyone could look at this season any other way. Even when we get a top 3 QB (with the Donkey pick we can and will certainly trade up if needed), the chances of him coming in and starting right away aren't that great either. We had a season of Hass and a season of T-Jack before we got Wilson, who obviously ripped the job into his hands. So it happens but not that often. I doubt that we'll be very competitive until 2 seasons from now. until then it's team and character development coupled with a few solid wins and maybe some spoiler patrol gigs.

Seymour

Reaction score
I actually had to laugh at the Dallas pass attempt. Looked more like he'd been practicing with shot puts rather than footballs. Make it or miss it---no matter. We lose that game bad anyways.
Our run defense is atrocious and until that is improved expect more pain!!!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It could have been a 1 score game. Pathetic play call, and that would have put them back in the mix. And no I'm not saying they would have won.

Chapow

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty clear after Russell was traded and Bobby was released that this was a rebuild year, or even two.

Weird to see fans so despondent after a bad loss.

I'm shaky on Pete too, but our last two drafts have been good, and we have some exciting core pieces moving forward. It just won't be this year.

I know that's hard for some fans to hear, especially newer fans who didn't experience the first 25 years of terrible Hawk football. But this is how it goes during a rebuild. Going to be more bad games than good ones for a couple years.

I think it's one thing to "know" that we are likely going to be pretty bad for a year or two, and it's another thing to actually see it come to fruition.

It's obviously incredibly early. Only 2 games. However, it's looking like we might legitimately be in the conversation for worst team in the league. That's a tough pill to swallow. Even for those of us that were expecting to be pretty bad.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think it's one thing to "know" that we are likely going to be pretty bad for a year or two, and it's another thing to actually see it come to fruition.

It's obviously incredibly early. Only 2 games. However, it's looking like we might legitimately be in the conversation for worst team in the league. That's a tough pill to swallow. Even for those of us that were expecting to be pretty bad.

I don't think we're the worst team in the league, but yeah I'll stick with my preseason prediction of somewhere around 5-6 wins.

This defense isn't good enough to hold teams under 14 points to make up for our terrible QB play.

Chapow

Reaction score
I don't think we're the worst team in the league, but yeah I'll stick with my preseason prediction of somewhere around 5-6 wins.

This defense isn't good enough to hold teams under 14 points to make up for our terrible QB play.

To be clear, I didn't say we're the worst team in the league. I said it's looking like we might be in the conversation for worst team in the league.

And again, it's only 2 games, but in those 2 games we have,

Scored a total of 17 points on offense. That's 8.5 points per game, which is worst is the league.

Gained a total of 469 yards on offense. That's 234.5 yards per game, which is 2nd worst in the league.

On defense we are giving up over 400 yards per game, which is bottom 10 in the league. However, we are "only" giving up 21.5 points per game, which is 16th. Basically, teams are moving the ball pretty much at will against our D, but we've actually been pretty good in the red zone.

So yeah, a team with the worst offense in the league, and with a defense giving up over 400 yards per game, just might be in the conversation for worst team in the league. Even if we're not in that conversation (we are), we're most certainly in the conversation for one of the worst teams in the league.

I get it. It's a rebuild. But damn, zero points from our offense in 6 quarters and counting is hard to watch.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
9ers had this game circled like last week's game was circled here vs Russ. Every now and again this team takes a real kicking from a divisional opponent. It's just normally the Rams dishing it out. 9ers will live and die on whether Kyle Shanahan has his head up his own firmament on any particular Sunday. They know it, everyone knows it.

As others have said upthread, the missed tackles where a runner got 8,9,10 yards instead of 2 or 3 though...just brutal. Same thing happened in 2020 and '21. By the time 4th quarter rolled round the D was clearly gassed. It would be nice to think that's being attended to, but who ever knows? How much can you fix in a week?
Unfortunately the only real way to fix that is to get players that can do it. Guys are in position. Outside of that, there's only marginal technique improvements you can make and that won't take with every player. The only thing that will help in the immediate future is finding a way to get better pursuit to the ball to help the first guy

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score
Hawks usually struggle a bit to open seasons because Pete likes to develop young guys. Guys are inconsistent but learning. Lucas had a learning game, and Cross was passable. Overall, the offensive line got man handled by a very good defensive line. I want to see some fire from Geno. Get the guys to push through that imaginary line.
Great point. These guys will get better, it might be next season but they'll click at some point.

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score
About as expected though I thought the young DB’s would be better.
This is a 4 or 5 win team tops. Should get a quality QB in next years draft.

This is a sacrificial year.
I agree with most of what you said here yet I think ( dont really know why) those young DBs will take
most of this season to figure things out .