Holes in Drew Lock's game?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Mediocre season will get him mediocre contract. Bad season leads out of the league. Great season….
Not sure if Lock is that Franchise QB that will bring us to promised land, but I do think he is that bridge QB for 2022. If Lock transformed his game? Wonderful!

Scout

Reaction score
Lock can be molded into a system QB. Lock isn't going to try to play hero ball like Jameis Winston.

His TD/INT ratio is very easy to fix in the right system. You can win in this league if your QB has less than 15 turnovers total on the season. The problem with Lock was he was on pace for over 20 turnovers total in the 2020 season. QBs that succeed even with 20+ turnovers better be able to generate nearly twice as many TDs or have a really, really good defense to bail them out.

Lock has to reduce fumbles and take shots from play action downfield that are favorable matchups.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Honestly here’s my biggest thing in all of this, I have more belief that a 25 year old like Drew Lock, despite anything he’s shown with the Broncos, has more adaptability, more desperation, thusly more potential to be more coachable, more pliable to be sculpted to be a better fit for Waldron’s offense than a 33 year old vet like Wilson, who has little to no room of potential of adapting how he plays QB and shown an unwillingness to do anything different. Russ’s strength his heroball QB and he’s extremely flawed as read and react QB, which his why is new HC is forced to build his offense around Wilson’s strengths rather than Russ fit perfectly into his offensive vision like Aaron Rodgers would.

I’m not saying Lock is better than Russ, he’s definitely not. I’m not saying Lock is the QBOTF, I’m not even wishing for it. I’m just saying I’m going to wait to see what he’s actually capable of being within this offense before I label him a failure.

And if Lock proves to not be anything worthwhile, who cares, he makes less than $1.5m and cost nothing to cut him and move on.

However, the silver-lining that I do see value in, more or less, my holy grail:

Russ had what a $37m cap hit for 2022 if he played for the Seahawks. 30 TDs would have cost $1.23m per TD.

If Lock were to get 30 TDs (and I understand that’s a long shot even playing to the best of his abilities), his 30 would only cost 50k per TD.

And that is the biggest reason I am hopeful of Lock, his production is cheap and if he shows that he’s capable of being a productive starter in Waldron’s offense I’m pretty certain he could be signed on a 1 yr, $8-10m prove it type contract.
Excellent post, as close as it comes to identifying with my sentiments on the subject.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
I just feel like he wasn't given a fair shake in Denver. Instability at OC, bad weapons except for Fant. Poor offensive scheme in Denver for a while now. Lock can and will hit the open receivers he just needs Shane to work with him
2019, thumb injury kept him out till November. He played OK to end the season.
2020, Shurmur replaced Scangarello...new system, learning under Covid protocols.
All Bronco QBs were fined for breaking protocols after Driskell tested +, resulting in the 'team with no QB'. Lock had a bad game vs LV, played well in Carolina, where he did 'fumble', 1st quarter, after almost having his head knocked off by 2 Panther defenders(safety blitz). Jeudy saved a TD on that play. Lock looked...knocked out, but obviously recovered.
2021. no it wasn't a fair competition. Fangio thought Teddy was safer for job security(wrong). Lock outplayed Teddy in preseason and OTAs.
He did lose the ball to a Bengal defender, which ended a potential scoring drive. That game ended with penalties and no gains, Broncos going backwards, leading to a 4th and 29, and Bengal win.
He played 3 solid games vs LV, LA, and KC to end the year.
Jeudy seemed totally lost in some of those games, and KJ Hamler seemed to work better for Lock.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
2019, thumb injury kept him out till November. He played OK to end the season.
2020, Shurmur replaced Scangarello...new system, learning under Covid protocols.
All Bronco QBs were fined for breaking protocols after Driskell tested +, resulting in the 'team with no QB'. Lock had a bad game vs LV, played well in Carolina, where he did 'fumble', 1st quarter, after almost having his head knocked off by 2 Panther defenders(safety blitz). Jeudy saved a TD on that play. Lock looked...knocked out, but obviously recovered.
2021. no it wasn't a fair competition. Fangio thought Teddy was safer for job security(wrong). Lock outplayed Teddy in preseason and OTAs.
He did lose the ball to a Bengal defender, which ended a potential scoring drive. That game ended with penalties and no gains, Broncos going backwards, leading to a 4th and 29, and Bengal win.
He played 3 solid games vs LV, LA, and KC to end the year.
Jeudy seemed totally lost in some of those games, and KJ Hamler seemed to work better for Lock.
That's good information on Lock, and I'm in agreement that we would be well advised to give him a shot at the starting job. It will be interesting to see how much confidence Pete has in him, if we draft a QB in the early rounds.

Lock's Achilles heel is ball security. His TD/INT ratio for his NFL career is 1.25, which has to improve if he has even the slightest hope of making the roster. Someone in another thread claims that it's an easy problem to fix, but I'm not so sure. Even his college ratio shows that it was a weakness, as he came in with a 2.5. To give you a reference, Russell's TD/INT ratio is 3.4 and the gold standard is Aaron Rodgers at 4.8. Pete is extremely adverse to turnovers, so if Lock can't improve on his jersey identification, he'll be gone in a New York minute.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Any news if Lock is working with Waldron? This is the off season and pre-draft, not like the coaching staffs are super busy, it's great opportunity for OC and QB coach to work with Lock. Anyone heard anything? Where is Lock now? In Seattle or somewhere else?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
That's good information on Lock, and I'm in agreement that we would be well advised to give him a shot at the starting job. It will be interesting to see how much confidence Pete has in him, if we draft a QB in the early rounds.

Lock's Achilles heel is ball security. His TD/INT ratio for his NFL career is 1.25, which has to improve if he has even the slightest hope of making the roster. Someone in another thread claims that it's an easy problem to fix, but I'm not so sure. Even his college ratio shows that it was a weakness, as he came in with a 2.5. To give you a reference, Russell's TD/INT ratio is 3.4 and the gold standard is Aaron Rodgers at 4.8. Pete is extremely adverse to turnovers, so if Lock can't improve on his jersey identification, he'll be gone in a New York minute.
Well said and agree 100%.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Any news if Lock is working with Waldron? This is the off season and pre-draft, not like the coaching staffs are super busy, it's great opportunity for OC and QB coach to work with Lock. Anyone heard anything? Where is Lock now? In Seattle or somewhere else?
The CBA has some pretty strict rules about when (and how much) coaches and players can work together.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
But I don't want to experiment for half the season finding out if he has it or not.
Unfortunately this is probably what we're going to see. We'll waste most or entire or multiple seasons on dudes who don't have it. We'll just have to hope we get a gem at some point, which is low probability.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Unfortunately this is probably what we're going to see. We'll waste most or entire or multiple seasons on dudes who don't have it. We'll just have to hope we get a gem at some point, which is low probability.
Probably true. But if he starts having accuracy issues, starts turning the ball over, I say pull the plug and go on to the next experiment. He's had some considerable history of those types of problems, so if he starts showing the same pattern here, it's not likely to get better. I'd rather throw Eason or some other random QB in there and give them a shot.