Geno one reason for PC got fired?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Ten of the past thirteen seasons he has had a pro bowl QB and made one of them the highest paid player in the league at signing in 2019. Seems like pretty appropriate value to me.
Yeah, because you can always equate the value someone puts on something with how much they paid for it.

Fade

Reaction score
His ultimate undoing was the team invested heavy on defense and they were a joke on that side of the ball for years with puppet coordinators.

Top 5 investment.
Bottom 5 results.

Someone needed to be held to account. This is HUGE.

It sounds like on Pete's final conference management was willing to let him sacrifice a Coordinator again, go get a real DC, and Pete reduced to figure head. But Pete's Plan was to run it back... AGAIN. Re-Pete rang hollow finally for Jody, who whipped it out and showed Pete who's boss. Stripping him of all power.

Yes, the QB thing also makes sense, on the overall team building sense. It's hard to rebuild with a 72 going on 73 year old, but the defense taking another crap, and Pete's answer being, Re-Pete was it.

Jville

Reaction score
Fictional supposition & demeaning characterizations runs wild.

renofox

Reaction score
Market value is objective. Your perception of how much Pete values quarterbacks is not.
Econ101: Market value has a definition - it is the price a willing buyer will pay a willing seller. It is 100% subjective as it changes based on individual's values.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I can't speak for everyone but I'm not sure people HATE Geno, moreso they hate the square peg that Pete was trying to force into a circle hole that is Geno being the QB that will lead us deep into the playoffs.

I personally don't hate Geno, I hated what he represented with Pete. Keeping the team hanging on life support to get just a few more minutes out of it when we should've been aiming at the future. I never once thought Geno would ever be the QB that wins the Hawks a SB, much less TAKE the Hawks to the SB. Doesn't mean I hate the guy. I wish him success whether it's here or elsewhere, I think we've all seen his ceiling though.
Well said and my thoughts exactly.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yeah, because you can always equate the value someone puts on something with how much they paid for it.

View attachment 63331
Market value actually DOES seem like a fairly decent way to quantify that sort of thing.

If you'd prefer other points that destroy the "Pete undervalues QB" angle, how about the relative emphasis on explosive plays in the passing game in "Peteball" philosophy, or the fact that we've been one of the pass happiest teams in the league for years? Even pass happier in neutral situations, which solves for garbage time/play-from-behind and inflated rushing when leading?

Of all the legitimate criticisms you could have, this is the one you're eyerolling others for? Lmao.

Last edited:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Market value actually DOES seem like a fairly decent was to quantify that sort of thing.

If you'd prefer other points that destroy the "Pete undervalues QB" angle, how about the relative emphasis on explosive plays in the passing game in "Peteball" philosophy, or the fact that we've been one of the pass happiest teams in the league for years? Even pass happier in neutral situations, which solves for garbage time/play-from-behind and inflated rushing when leading?

Of all the legitimate criticisms you could have, this is the one you're eyerolling others for? Lmao.
Market value changes all the time for many things. Look at home loan rates. So if market value ~7% whatever is a good way to quantify it right now, what is it compared to when they were like 2.5% a couple years ago?

We can also go with Deshaun Watson. Look at what the Browns paid for him in both picks and cash. So, that's what he's worth, right? Regardless of the fact that 31 other NFL teams would NEVER have paid that for him?

Fleecing a naive fool doesn't mean something is objectively worth the price paid, or even close to it, to others or on an open market.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
Who was worth drafting in their position in the last draft? Levis?? Imo he will never amount to a qb1..Stetson Bennett? Hooker?? There was nothing left imo to draft. Even the qb who went 1 overall looks like a massive bust. I get trying to draft a qb but if it doesn't make sense why waste the pick? I'd rather Spoon over every qb not named Stroud in that draft.
It isn't just "last draft".
Pete refused to draft any QB after Russell. Go look at every draft since Wilson and you'll see a long list of QBs we could've gotten.
Teams usually draft a QB as leverage when their star QB is coming up on a new contract. The Hawks didn't do that.
Teams usually draft a QB when their longtime starter gets a little long in the tooth. The Hawks didn't do that.
Geno is what we were left with because no QB was drafted. Geno wasn't the only reason we weren't a playoff team this year, but his ranking among starting QBs is low enough that he is an impediment to being a playoff team. You can only improve other areas so much before QB becomes the biggest problem, and with Geno there's a good chance we would be there in the next 2 seasons.
Refusing to draft a QB is absolutely a reason to get rid of a coach/GM. Being a defensive coach doesn't excuse you from needing to have a good enough QB

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
Market value actually DOES seem like a fairly decent was to quantify that sort of thing.

Passing a lot =/= having a good QB.
Besides, when our RBs are failing to get the ball moving you are kind of forced to pass.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Passing a lot =/= having a good QB.
Besides, when our RBs are failing to get the ball moving you are kind of forced to pass.
Seattle was exactly average in yards per carry yet 28th in rushing frequency, so the second point is fairly moot.

Regardless, we're discussing the value Carroll placed on the quarterback position, not Geno's aptitude. I think it's almost inarguable that he placed a high value on quarterback, especially given the fact that he was able to elevate their individual performances on a consistent basis.

It's a shoddy criticism of Carroll with very little solid basis, whereas there are several others that are very valid criticisms.

Last edited:

Palmegranite

Reaction score
It isn't just "last draft".
Pete refused to draft any QB after Russell. Go look at every draft since Wilson and you'll see a long list of QBs we could've gotten.
Well I guess the Bills and Chiefs should fire their coaches too, since they haven't drafted Allen's and Mahomes' replacements yet.

And by the way, I see that the Seahawks drafted QB Alex McGough in 2018.

Raifers

Reaction score

I'm honestly still just waiting for anyone to refute this sentiment, as stated by Griff

Well geno only should count for 8 wins no? We were one fg away from another win, but also a fg away from another loss. So if we plug and play drew in, do you see much difference in the overall record? I was all for geno taking over for Russ, but I am also curious as to why people think geno is all that (kinda like how people think Purdy is all that). Geno is fine at qb. But I think there are others qbs just as good. I even said if the chips fell correctly he could lead us to the Super Bowl.

His tweet clearly says we had a bottom 5 defense. Clearly firing PC for that reason alone makes sense? Or is this guys sentiment correct.

Latest posts