Geno wasn’t clutch

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, he bounced a few to guys that were open in the middle. No legit excuse for missing those throws. He would tell you the same.
Also, threw in to double coverage TWICE in the end zone and got lucky that he wasn't picked. Sometimes you need to just live for another play. And yes, I'm aware that I'll get blasted because I dare point out anything negative about Geno. I'll also point out that HE SAID SO HIMSELF in post game. One of the things I love most about that guy, he is very accountable. I'm sorry if hurts people's feelings, he's not above criticism. Well........shouldn't be at least.

Torc

Reaction score
People treat the idea of being "clutch" like its some sort of mystical power that affects things outside of the players control. It's not.

If he was out there throwing ducks/interceptions, sure. But he can't will Lucas to block with his "clutchness." He can't will the defense to not give up 90 yard runs with his "clutchness."
I think being 'clutch' is a matter of what happens when a player is under increased stress. We see players who do better in the postseason than the regular season. We also see regular season stars who never seem to get it going in the postseason. Some players do really well in the normal flow of the game, but when the stress increases with a 'must have' drive, they either rise to the occasion or press too hard and make mistakes. I think last year Geno was one of the latter. This year the jury is still out IMO, he hasn't had a ton of chances.

That being said, yeah, this loss was on the defense. I don't blame Geno when he put 34 on the board.

knownone

Reaction score
The sample size is too small to determine whether Geno is clutch (assuming it's a real thing). The fact is he's only had a few opportunities to win the game at the end, and only a handful of those failed becomes of him.

Similarly, it's also worth noting that 4QCs correlate with the strength of the QBs defense—a better defense leads to more opportunities to win close games. Think of this as the Aaron Rodgers effect. Rodgers has played most of his career with an average-to-bad defense, and thus, only has 19 4QCs, which is six less than Andy Dalton and Ryan Tannehill.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yeah, he bounced a few to guys that were open in the middle. No legit excuse for missing those throws. He would tell you the same.
Also, threw in to double coverage TWICE in the end zone and got lucky that he wasn't picked. Sometimes you need to just live for another play. And yes, I'm aware that I'll get blasted because I dare point out anything negative about Geno. I'll also point out that HE SAID SO HIMSELF in post game. One of the things I love most about that guy, he is very accountable. I'm sorry if hurts people's feelings, he's not above criticism. Well........shouldn't be at least.

Geno didn't have his best game, but he wasn't the root cause of the loss, either. Not many quarterbacks can be effective with a running game where the featured back gets less than 2 yards a carry and 26 yards total. But on the other hand, he had multiple opportunities to lead the team on a game winning scoring drive and for one reason or another, didn't get it done. If I had to give Geno a grade, it would be a C-.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Geno didn't have his best game, but he wasn't the root cause of the loss, either. Not many quarterbacks can be effective with a running game where the featured back gets less than 2 yards a carry and 26 yards total. But on the other hand, he had multiple opportunities to lead the team on a game winning scoring drive and for one reason or another, didn't get it done. If I had to give Geno a grade, it would be a C-.
"On the other hand", 34 points with a less than stellar Run Game...Sounds pretty damned "Clutch" to this old fart.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

C-?

Whew, man. That's harsh considering the circumstances.

Scout

Reaction score
The team showed a lot of growth today. Good work.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Well, I hoped he would prove my doubts were unfounded. He did. Well done Geno, and well done Hawks! Great game.

renofox

Reaction score
Congrats to Geno - I was hoping to see this. He erased the last doubts anyone could have reasonably held, and proved to himself he could do it.

That drive made him a lot of $ come contract time.

Scout

Reaction score
Each week Geno shows us that he can do something most of us thought he could not do at this point of his career. He is definitely have a rising phoenix feel to his career ala Rich Gannon.