Geno Smith...

Sun Tzu

Reaction score

I'll give you credit, you are def. Geno Smith. Welcome to the board

(it's a joke, breathe in)
Believe it or not, it IS OK for people to disagree on how good a player is. It's nothing new. You think he's very good to great, many of us think he's average to bad. We get it already.

Hopefully you're right about the guy.
If you have to end your jokes with, "it's a joke" or "I'm joking", you are doing it wrong.

keasley45

Reaction score
Scramble the fighter jets, because an unidentified flying object known as "the point" just flew 8000 feet over this dude's head.

We're talking ABOUT his preseason play, and by extension his play last year. If you want to unequivocally dismiss it as not of acceptable quality, please post reasonable supporting data and analysis to that effect. Otherwise, you're wrong, because there has been countless other analysis pointing to him being pretty solid in his Seahawk tenure.

That doesn't mean he won't regress. No one is saying he won't regress.
Lmao. Told you, it's not trolling...

BASF

Reaction score
I don't necessarily believe this, but a case could be made that the players are committing mental mistakes catching his balls because they do not want him to win the competition. It may stem from his body language and seeming lack of leadership.

Also, I am sure that you will remember that a lot was made about Hass throwing a ball that was not easy to catch in a lot of instances because of the drops that seemed to occur for everyone except Bobby Engram. (Robinson and Stephens alcohol problems probably had more to do with it than we will ever know) It may very well be the case with Geno Smith. The spiral may be different. The velocity may be an issue. Who knows apart from the players that are trying to catch them. (The so hotly debated non catch from Swain was obvious that he mistimed his jump and short armed the pass because of it)

He has played adequately and for some people that will never be enough.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is a salient point though BASF.

Is 'adequate' acceptable?
Is it enough?

Will you be OK with going to 5-8 win seasons for the next half decade? Where we beat the bad teams and but consistently lose to the better teams, as well as only rarely, if ever, reach the playoffs during that time?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Players hoping for a roster spot don't intentionally drop passes. Geno throws a nice ball. Always has. But for some reason he has trouble with consistency. The reasons for that are mindboggling and don't make a lot of sense, but he can't seem to gain control of the game, and control of the game is exactly what we need from a QB at this juncture.
Move the chains, don't turn the ball over, put some points on the board, and we'll win a good share of our games. But to win the SB we need a QB that is more than that. Maybe that guy is in the draft next year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So Salty, Keasley. Relax and let it play out. Again, we will SEE how it goes. Oh well, it was a fun topic. It kind of has ran it's course.
Some think he's good, some don't. Big deal. It's up to HIM to decide how the debate ends.........on the field. IN REGULAR SEASON GAMES.

BASF

Reaction score

Is it enough?

Will you be OK with going to 5-8 win seasons for the next half decade? Where we beat the bad teams and but consistently lose to the better teams, as well as only rarely, if ever, reach the playoffs during that time?
This question belies the potential of drafting other QB's. As you have pointed out, the league has done everything in it's power to ensure that young QB's can excel quickly. The only people who have discounted us drafting a QB that can be great are people who ride with Wilson.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There really is no foolproof approach.
Patriots did the thing I like, which is draft a QB in damn near every draft and hope one blossoms. I think the best case was Jimmy G. Not great. Look at the QB they have now, not a slam dunk at all.

Other teams tanked for #1, getting guys like Winston and Baker. Neither worked out.
The Chargers lucked into a potential good one with the 3rd pick, but the Eagles getting Wentz did not work out - and he ticked all the boxes.
Then you have the Bills, who look great now - but when Allen was drafted, even a year later, it wasn't clear he would be the stud he turned into.
(Maybe JS saw it though? Maybe JS has the secret sauce on finding these guys?)

But the kind of guy that turns into a Wilson or Rodgers or even Brees, much less a Montana or Brady? Comes every 3-5 years.

So tanking doesn't even help that much as it has to be the right year. 1 in 5 or 1 in 3 isn't great. But is better than 0%.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The problem with Geno isn't that he is terrible. The problem is that he is likely good enough to tread water but not good enough to beat the better teams, be any kind of threat by himself, carry a team in any way, or take us to the playoffs.

And if he cannot do those things, all he is doing is taking valuable time needed to get someone else in that seat. (Kind of my argument with Pete, but honestly probably just as hard to get a great HC as get a star QB.)

If Geno is a flaming dumpsterfire, then we ditch him, get a good QB with the good draft pick and apparently we are reloaded. But if Geno is mediocre, then Pete will get us to .500 at least. At that point, we aren't a threat but we won't be improving either.

Is that acceptable? Depends on your expectations as a fan. But if the expectation is that we COULD be good with a good QB, then we probably want one instead.
Jeezus man, your obvious hatred for Pete has you posting NONSENSE.
No matter how shitty, or great Geno OR Drew plays this season, PETE & JOHN will STILL just as likely be looking for OUR next Franchise Quarterback in the next Draft, just like how they did a few years back, when Russ was REFUSING to be a TEAM FIRST player, they were INTERESTED in trying to>UPGRADE< by looking into Patrick Mahomes, and when Wilson heard of it, he went Apeshit.
THERE WAS NO ONE THAT THEY WANTED IN THE 22 DRAFT, HENCE, Drew Lock, AND Geno Smith.
Keasley45, myself, & several OTHERS have already>REASONABLY SAID< that Geno Smith is NOT likely going to be our end-all-be-all Quarterback of the future, but what he an I & several others HAVE SAID, is that he's NOT AS BAD as some of y'all are TRYING to make him out to be, NOTHING M-O-R-E, NOTHING >L-E-SS<

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The problem with Geno isn't that he is terrible. The problem is that he is likely good enough to tread water but not good enough to beat the better teams, be any kind of threat by himself, carry a team in any way, or take us to the playoffs.

And if he cannot do those things, all he is doing is taking valuable time needed to get someone else in that seat. (Kind of my argument with Pete, but honestly probably just as hard to get a great HC as get a star QB.)

If Geno is a flaming dumpsterfire, then we ditch him, get a good QB with the good draft pick and apparently we are reloaded. But if Geno is mediocre, then Pete will get us to .500 at least. At that point, we aren't a threat but we won't be improving either.

Is that acceptable? Depends on your expectations as a fan. But if the expectation is that we COULD be good with a good QB, then we probably want one instead.
This is a completely reasonable viewpoint. Compare this to the alternative "Geno did good but I am going to say he did bad solely because I don't think he's good overall" posts have been, and you have what my issue with this thread has been.

There are arguments that make sense, like this... and then there are blatant falsehoods repeated for no real reason.

I bet you Pete thinks this argument makes some sense too, based on the below quote

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Absolutely fullquart,

Hebert was #6. I make this mistake all the time.
Just cannot wrap my head around him being later than #3.
But you are right.
Then again, Allen was #7 so I shouldn't even make that mental error. Great QBs sometimes go later than the top 5. But it feels like lately, if you want a Burrows, you have to take him early.

Maybe that is another argument against tanking, you can get star QBs in the top 10 if you pick in the right year.

knownone

Reaction score
Is there a perspective that does not rely on hypothetical upside or skill level projections? Some people act like these things are tangible and measurable when they are not. Life is not a video game.

The problem with projecting both QBs is the small sample size. Geno's started four games in 6 years. Projected over a season, his numbers are above average for a starting QB. However, those projections assume defenses don't adapt to his style of play throughout the season, so they tell us very little. Similarly, you can't use his failure to win games as evidence, either. Why? Because despite being 1-3, he's a handful of plays from 4-0, and several of those plays were not his fault.

What we know is that Geno appears to be winning the QB competition. And despite what many think, he's played well this preseason. His adjusted completion percentage is 83%, the highest in the NFL. So where's the evidence that he can't be a good starting QB? There is none. It's a hedge based mostly on his reputation. The same is true of Lock, which is why credence should be given to the competition's winner.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
They are going off Geno's play from the two partial preseason games performances.

Not the hill I would die on but that's just me.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I even tried to delete it because I'm sick of arguing about this :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Oh well, to each his/her own. Still think it will be a fun season, even if they take a lot of lumps.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Surprised how riled up people are getting about someone just not having much confidence in Geno. Shoot, I don't have much confidence in Lock either. It's sports. Some like a player, some don't.
But I don't bail on my team, ever. Thru thick and thin. I still think they are building a good team thru the draft and should be pretty good in 2023. I hope to be very wrong about Geno, as it seems like he'll be the starter.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score

Is it enough?

Here's the problem with this line of thought. If we go with Geno and/or Lock and only win 5-8 games, does that means the team will choose to stick with them for the next 5 years. That is certainly a possibility, but it seems beyond a mental-gymnastics of a stretch.

Kudos to you if that actually happens and you are free to strut down the runway for all to admire.

You have led your brethren in negativity well here - keep up the good work.