Geno Smith resigned In April 2022, Not Today People.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm sure Geno's heart tells him to take a new deal now.

But I'm sure his agent is telling him on the daily to wait because his guaranteed bag of money is growing with each week.

I mean, look how much absolutely DREADFUL QB play is going on right now in the NFL, you don't think there are 15+ GM's watching Seahawk tape right now hoping for a shot at overpaying for Geno?

TraderGary

Reaction score
I was very much in the Lock camp and really wanted him to win the job. I felt Geno was and would never be anything more than a career backup, and not the type of leader we needed.

Boy how wrong I was.

He's playing at an MVP level. I keep waiting for him to come back down to earth and realize it was all a mirage, and every week he proves me wrong. I gain more confidence in him every week. There aren't many QB's in the league that are playing better than he is right now.

You can see he's in complete control and command out there. He doesn't look nervous. He reads defenses very well pre-snap and changes the plays at the LOS when appropriate. He's calm in the pocket and doesn't have happy feet. He sees the entire field. He's deadly accurate. He's happy to take what the defense gives him, something we're obviously not used to seeing in Seattle. He's completely comfortable with a methodical long drive down the field and not relying on the big play, though when it's there, he's ready to take advantage of it.

Geno is such a great story, not just for the Hawks, but for the NFL as a whole, and I couldn't be happier for him.

toffee

Reaction score
I'm sure Geno's heart tells him to take a new deal now.

But I'm sure his agent is telling him on the daily to wait because his guaranteed bag of money is growing with each week.

I mean, look how much absolutely DREADFUL QB play is going on right now in the NFL, you don't think there are 15+ GM's watching Seahawk tape right now hoping for a shot at overpaying for Geno?
The entire ownership of Denver Broncos surely hoping a shot at overpaying Geno.

Nunya

Reaction score
The entire ownership of Denver Broncos surely hoping a shot at overpaying Geno.
We might consider trading Geno to them for 2 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks, a 5th round pick, and 3 decent players.....but not really.

toffee

Reaction score
We might consider trading Geno to them for 2 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks, a 5th round pick, and 3 decent players.....but not really.
No reason to trade Geno at all, top 5 QB do not grow on trees. One can almost guarantee high percentage of QB drafted top 5 do not develop into a top 5 QBs

Nunya

Reaction score
No reason to trade Geno at all, top 5 QB do not grow on trees. One can almost guarantee high percentage of QB drafted top 5 do not develop into a top 5 QBs
Just joking. Besides, I don't think Denver has the picks to trade since we already have them.

toffee

Reaction score
Just joking. Besides, I don't think Denver has the picks to trade since we already have them.
I know, and I was messing with ya. Denver could, trade their other stars for picks and use those picks on Geno, but that would be the most stupid thing. At this moment, Denver is locked in with Wilson, may be they can hire Bevell?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Mayfield has had one good full season as a starter, and Smith hasn't had such a season. That's true. But I'm not convinced Mayfield is worth $18.9M fully guaranteed. In fact, I consider it much more likely he's not worth that much. The fact that it's fully guaranteed is the scariest part. No matter how much Mayfield sucks, the team holding his contract will be responsible for paying out the full $18.9M.
$4M would be expensive for what Smith is. But $18.9M fully guaranteed for Mayfield is outrageous.

Mayfield is a low-level starter or a high-level backup. Neither of those possibilities should be worth $18.9M to the Seahawks right now.

I'd rather have Geno Smith for $4M, especially if it's not fully guaranteed, than Baker Mayfield for $18.9M fully guaranteed. Of course, I'd rather have Geno Smith for the vet minimum than for $4M, but according to the rumors, that ship has already sailed.
Ha! This comment from April just got a "like," giving me a chance to revisit what I was thinking a little over half a year ago.

Those of us who were against obtaining Mayfield can feel a certain satisfaction that the Seahawks absolutely did the right thing by not acquiring him. I thought he was being severely overrated by some people around here, but wow... he's really surprised me with just how much he's sucked.

And of course Geno Smith has turned out to be a ridiculously great bargain with his $3.5M cap hit. @Maelstrom787 and @keasley45 convinced me Smith might not be awful, and might even be decent, but I didn't even get close to imagining he'd be among the best QBs in the league through eight games.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Geno Smith is on a 1-year/$3.5M deal

The total value of his deal is 58th among QBs.

He has a higher passer rating than Josh Allen.

A higher TD-Int ratio than Patrick Mahomes

The best Comp pct in the NFL

Nothing about his play suggests regression. Nice payday coming in 2023.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
^ No doubt. The typical conversation regarding this next draft centers mainly around the abundance of QBs. But it appears to be just a very good class across the board. If our FO can duplicate (++) what they did in this past draft...well, Like I told my Philly and SF bros earlier today "you guys might want to start looking for AFC teams to root for".

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I am bumping this thread to dispel the notion that nobody had faith in Geno to be the Seahawks starting QB.

I am NOT bumping it to start another round of GOTCHA with some posters.....

"GOTCHA!!!"

Jville

Reaction score
After all his years of perseverance, a day one start would be quite the comeback outcome to celebrate. Geno Smith isn't done writing his story. That's a good thing.
Such a great career come back story ...... with more to come.
Geno is a example of what Angela Duckworth champions as Grit.
Pete Carroll has brought in Angela Duckworth to speak and inspire the Seattle Seahawks Culture.

Grit: The power of passion and perseverance.​

Link to TED presentation about Grit by Angela Duckworth >>>