Geno Smith resigned In April 2022, Not Today People.

Jville

Reaction score
I think we still should be counting the $26 million in dead money as quarterback guarantees since it eats up cap money. The cap is really the only reason we as fans should care about guaranteed monies, as the lower the cap available, the less we have to spend on quality players.

The way I look at it, is we have so much tied into the qb position with RW dead money that we really can't afford to lay out too much in guarantees this season and be able to build a competitive team. This is why I believe you see us with the qbs we have now. We just don't have the money to spend on the position right now. We are really down to 3 options... 1) draft our starting quarterback or 2) Go with what we have now and hope that we can build a top defense and running attack to keep us competitive.

Of course this assumes a plan for this upcoming season. They could be looking at Geno as a stop gap and have a plan for a quarterback next season, and we should have more money to invest in the position then as well.

Yea, they mortgaged the immediate future to overcome last years reduced cap. A one time event. Dead cap charges eat up 21.4% of this years cap. The $26 million, in turn, represent 58% of those dead cap charges. With any luck, it's a one time event.

It is my understanding that ..... the upper dead cap limit to maintain roster flexibility is generally suggested to be 10%.

Jville

Reaction score
"The things that Geno has presented to us is his consistency, and really the loyalty of being part of our program when it comes to this time of year and we have to make a decision—does he want come back again and stay with us? Over the last few years, he's always wanted to be here. He liked where he was. He liked the relationship he had with the coaches and myself and the program and all of that. He's just been really upbeat and positive. He's shown that when he finally got his opportunity—I mean, he sat forever, it's been like four years since he really got a chance to play—so the couple games it took him to get started were very difficult games, and we had weather conditions, we were on the road and all that, and we almost pulled every one of those games off. He showed he was capable, that he could hang in there. When he got two games under his belt, now he goes to Jacksonville, and I think he started the game 14 for 14 or something like that. He couldn't have been more impressive, played almost a perfect game that day, and that was the last shot he had. So everything has led to the opportunity, he was available for it when it came, and he took advantage of it... So it's been positive and upbeat and hopeful, and as well as he's a really tough competitive kid, which we love. His mentality, the players love him and he gets along with everybody."

Informative John Boyle article >>> https://www.seahawks.com/news/seaha...eight-restricted-exclusive-rights-free-agents

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
According to literally what?

There's almost zero, and I very literally mean zero, evidence to support this claim in any way.
his career stats? under a 60% completion percentage, more pics than TD's and a QB rating of 75.7 there's your evidence. I mean, you cant see it watching the guy? Good lord, I'm left to wonder how much football you have actually seen. Not even a serviceable back up.
Career58.86,917343775.7

hawkfan68

Reaction score
his career stats? under a 60% completion percentage, more pics than TD's and a QB rating of 75.7 there's your evidence. I mean, you cant see it watching the guy? Good lord, I'm left to wonder how much football you have actually seen. Not even a serviceable back up.
Career58.86,917343775.7
To add to that...Geno's won-loss record in games he played is 13-21 or 38.2 percent. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitGe00.htm.

toffee

Reaction score
"The things that Geno has presented to us is his consistency, and really the loyalty of being part of our program when it comes to this time of year and we have to make a decision—does he want come back again and stay with us? Over the last few years, he's always wanted to be here. He liked where he was. He liked the relationship he had with the coaches and myself and the program and all of that. He's just been really upbeat and positive. He's shown that when he finally got his opportunity—I mean, he sat forever, it's been like four years since he really got a chance to play—so the couple games it took him to get started were very difficult games, and we had weather conditions, we were on the road and all that, and we almost pulled every one of those games off. He showed he was capable, that he could hang in there. When he got two games under his belt, now he goes to Jacksonville, and I think he started the game 14 for 14 or something like that. He couldn't have been more impressive, played almost a perfect game that day, and that was the last shot he had. So everything has led to the opportunity, he was available for it when it came, and he took advantage of it... So it's been positive and upbeat and hopeful, and as well as he's a really tough competitive kid, which we love. His mentality, the players love him and he gets along with everybody."

Informative John Boyle article >>> https://www.seahawks.com/news/seaha...eight-restricted-exclusive-rights-free-agents
Nice article, I have been emphasizing on Geno's rust when folks picked on his performance. He didn't play for years and just stepped in, I thought he played well, or as well as one could hope for. Even then, he displayed additional usage of Waldron offense that simply wasn't there with Russ on the field.

If Geno could pull a 7 wins season for us, that will allow us to fill other holes on our roster.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I'm accustomed to being minority, and on the Geno issue it seems like I sure am. I believe the guy can do some ballin if he has a good line in front of him. If not, no one could.
Seems to me the QB competition this year is going to be fierce, but to all appearances that room is tight and together to be in it to win it. It's going to be a very interesting season, starting 4 days from now.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Career58.86,917343775.7
I'm left to wonder how much YOU'VE seen, because you're talking about a guy not even being a top-52 quarterback and seem to misunderstand what the average backup looks like. If you were actually relying on what you've SEEN, you'd probably be quoting something other than mostly old box score stats.

This also makes use of pretty old statistics on a perennially awful Jets team, rather than actually looking at the football that's been played within the past 5 years.

Please, google another old box score, though. That sure proves that you "watch" really, really hard.

toffee

Reaction score
I'm left to wonder how much YOU'VE seen, because you're talking about a guy not even being a top-52 quarterback and seem to misunderstand what the average backup looks like. If you were actually relying on what you've SEEN, you'd probably be quoting something other than mostly old box score stats.

This also makes use of pretty old statistics on a perennially awful Jets team, rather than actually looking at the football that's been played within the past 5 years.

Please, google another old box score, though. That sure proves that you "watch" really, really hard.
I am eagerly waiting for coming preseason games, this time, we have QB competition.

renofox

Reaction score
I am bumping this thread to dispel the notion that nobody had faith in Geno to be the Seahawks starting QB.

I am NOT bumping it to start another round of GOTCHA with some posters attacking others for their lack of faith - please don't be a dick to those who were negative/wrong.

Even though nobody saw Geno being THIS good playing within the system, many saw the potential and had faith that he would be a good to very good starter.

I think this was an outstanding move by PC to help us all move on from the RW3 era.

Putting the wins aside, the entertainment value of the games this season is levels above the past 5 seasons. The Seahawks are actually FUN to watch this season, and the main reason is PC's faith in Geno.

Kudos to those fans who believed in PC and Geno!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I am bumping this thread to dispel the notion that nobody had faith in Geno to be the Seahawks starting QB.

I am NOT bumping it to start another round of GOTCHA with some posters attacking others for their lack of faith - please don't be a dick to those who were negative/wrong.

Even though nobody saw Geno being THIS good playing within the system, many saw the potential and had faith that he would be a good to very good starter.

I think this was an outstanding move by PC to help us all move on from the RW3 era.

Putting the wins aside, the entertainment value of the games this season is levels above the past 5 seasons. The Seahawks are actually FUN to watch this season, and the main reason is PC's faith in Geno.

Kudos to those fans who believed in PC and Geno!
I was one of those wrong about Geno. Glady enjoying my crow right now. Geno needs to be signed for a longer contract moving forward, if he continues to play this way. I don't see why not he wouldn't.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I like it. Familiar with the receivers, familiar with the system. He just has to go into camp with the mindset that he’s competing for the starting job. I think it’ll be a good and fair competition between he and Lock. People just need to accept the fact that Lock and Geno are our quarterbacks
Glad I was right all along

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I was hoping that he re-signed a contract extension over the weekend.

Perhaps the mods could tweak the subject a bit so others don't get the wrong immediate impression.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
If he's really signing a one-year pop for seven million that is an incredible gift to the Hawks.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Nice article, I have been emphasizing on Geno's rust when folks picked on his performance. He didn't play for years and just stepped in, I thought he played well, or as well as one could hope for. Even then, he displayed additional usage of Waldron offense that simply wasn't there with Russ on the field.

If Geno could pull a 7 wins season for us, that will allow us to fill other holes on our roster.
Two more wins is all you need. :D

Latest posts