Geno Smith resigned In April 2022, Not Today People.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
You are right, it’s really $3.5 M with likely to be earned incentives to $7 M..

Perhaps he is just a hedge against signing Mayfield, but I suspect not. Cleveland has the cap space to eat Mayfield’s deal and may just do that rather than be the goat of a stupid owner who said dumb stuff about his former first round pick.

Whether his comments which have been denied by him were made someone in that organization made the remark.

Scout

Reaction score
I like bringing back Geno. He has grown as an NFL player since his days as a Jet. It seems this offensive system is tailored to his strengths. Geno still has limitations but for a QB that has started less than 35 games he actually still has some in the tank.

RiverDog

Reaction score
You are right, it’s really $3.5 M with likely to be earned incentives to $7 M..

Perhaps he is just a hedge against signing Mayfield, but I suspect not. Cleveland has the cap space to eat Mayfield’s deal and may just do that rather than be the goat of a stupid owner who said dumb stuff about his former first round pick.

Whether his comments which have been denied by him were made someone in that organization made the remark.
Did anyone see any guaranteed money in Geno's contract? I didn't. If we draft a QB or bring in Mayfield and given that we'd only keep 2 QB's on the 53 man roster, it would mean that we would have to cut either Geno or Lock. If Geno is the odd man out, how much of that $3.5M do we owe him? Honest question.

Plus Geno still has that DUI incident hanging over his head. If he draws a 4 game suspension, how willing will Pete be to keep him on the roster?

This could be nothing more than getting Geno in here for training camp fodder. We don't have anyone that knows the offense or is familiar with our players. If we don't have an experienced QB in camp working with the team, it's going to hinder the progress of other players as they'll be making mistakes and coaches will shut down plays to correct whatever it is the QB is screwing up.

We'll see what the 53 man roster looks like come Labor Day.

Rosco

Reaction score
Did anyone see any guaranteed money in Geno's contract? I didn't. If we draft a QB or bring in Mayfield and given that we'd only keep 2 QB's on the 53 man roster, it would mean that we would have to cut either Geno or Lock. If Geno is the odd man out, how much of that $3.5M do we owe him? Honest question.

Plus Geno still has that DUI incident hanging over his head. If he draws a 4 game suspension, how willing will Pete be to keep him on the roster?

This could be nothing more than getting Geno in here for training camp fodder. We don't have anyone that knows the offense or is familiar with our players. If we don't have an experienced QB in camp working with the team, it's going to hinder the progress of other players as they'll be making mistakes and coaches will shut down plays to correct whatever it is the QB is screwing up.

We'll see what the 53 man roster looks like come Labor Day.
They’re not signing Geno Smith for training camp fodder. Smith resigning likely means they’re not bringing in Baker Mayfield.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
7 Million - Holy Shizzzznat.

A $7m coin toss caller.

This is the problem with NFL reporters.

They're so competitive with who gets the scoop first that they don't even wait for the details of these contracts.

It's UP to 7M, with incentives. Guaranteed money is around 3-3.5M.

Which IMO is still too much. Were there other teams chomping at the bit to sign Geno Smith? I doubt it. I feel like we could have gotten him for half this after the draft.

Dude's a backup. Even 3.5M is a ridiculous amount to pay Smith.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
While I think he's average at best, back up QB's are making pretty good coin these days.

The average backup QB in the NFL makes around 1-2M. Sure there are insane teams like the Saints who paid Hill 15M.

My point is I highly doubt other teams were lining up to pay Smith big backup QB money, so not sure why we signed him for so much. Could have signed him after the draft for much less.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It sure looks like a continuation of our trend to overpay JAGs. But maybe it will work out.

I think Geno Smith is garbage as a QB. There really is nothing to be optimistic about with him as a player/QB, so So hopefully that isn't our starter.

But I also think he is just good enough not to be terrible, which means winning a few games that hurt our chances of getting a decent/good QB later.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Maybe all of this will end up being addition by subtraction. It's possible we could end up being better than expected, especially if we draft wisely.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I think this closed the door for us bringing in Mayfield, unless the Browns cut him and he will sign for the minimum. I also think we're better off for that. Geno is quite a bit better than a lot of folks give him credit for. If we can build our O Line to give our QB some time he can throw about as well as anyone else and is familiar with our system. No one else on our roster is going to beat him out for that starting position, but there might be someone in the draft that could develop into the next starter, given proper time to do so. Barring bringing in Mayfield would seem to increase the likelihood that we are looking to draft a QB.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Addition by subtraction no longer makes sense. We got rid of our QB, it wasn't like swapping out Geno for Wilson because we were tired of Wilson's lack of focus on the team instead of himself.

Wilson was already gone. We had choices, we chose to give more money than makes sense to a QB that has no value in that price tier.

And if it was addition by subtraction, we would have been better last year. We weren't. We lost games in the 4th, so people projected us as 'almost' winning. But under Wilson we won plenty of games in the 4th, so I am not sure how that was any kind of upgrade.

It sounds more like subtraction by addition.

Hawknight

Reaction score
So what you're saying is that in the "Division" we "added" a QB and ended up "Subtracting" experience which "multiplied" our problems with a "capacity" of "unknown variables" by "Sum" of QB's with a, possible "array" of issues by a "combined" "factoring" with an"inequality" to Wilson to "equal" and unknown "equation" with yet an unproven conclusion surmised by only guesswork and not yet proven which "nets" us "zilch" until a season is proven with a downward "slope" and "tangible" results by whatever means?

keasley45

Reaction score
It sure looks like a continuation of our trend to overpay JAGs. But maybe it will work out.

I think Geno Smith is garbage as a QB. There really is nothing to be optimistic about with him as a player/QB, so So hopefully that isn't our starter.

But I also think he is just good enough not to be terrible, which means winning a few games that hurt our chances of getting a decent/good QB later.
You have pretty high standards for qb then.

68% completed, 700+ yards, 5tds, 1 int for a 103 rating in 3 games started.

His numbers coming off the bench, cold, after having not played a snap in a few years were better than half the starters in the league. And that was with training wheels on for two games (Steelers and Saints)

Not saying the guy is a bona-fide franchise qb, but the talk about him being garbage or that he played awful makes no sense.

Throwdown

Reaction score
You have pretty high standards for qb then.

68% completed, 700+ yards, 5tds, 1 int for a 103 rating in 3 games started.

His numbers coming off the bench, cold, after having not played a snap in a few years were better than half the starters in the league. And that was with training wheels on for two games (Steelers and Saints)

Not saying the guy is a bona-fide franchise qb, but the talk about him being garbage or that he played awful makes no sense.
Don’t forget he had a better 3rd down conversation rate than the munchkin

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Mayfield is in the same boat as Jimmy G they both have large contracts with no arm talent to make anyone want to risk anything at all. If they cut Mayfield he can try out like everyone else