Geno Smith: Comeback Player of the Year

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
**OFFICIAL**

Entering the 2022 season, it had been seven years since Geno Smith was a full-time starter in the NFL, a span that included three teams, fewer than 200 pass attempts and fewer than one full season’s worth of game appearances.

So you can excuse the overwhelming lot of people who didn’t forecast a career revival that would end in Smith being named The Associated Press 2022 NFL Comeback Player of the Year on Thursday at NFL Honors in Phoenix.

Smith garnered 29 first-place votes and 171 points to take home the honor. Second place went to San Francisco 49ers running back Christian McCaffrey with 110 points and 12 first-place votes. Others receiving first-place tallies were New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley, Philadelphia Eagles defensive lineman Brandon Graham, Giants offensive lineman Nick Gates, Detroit Lions quarterback Jared Goff and now-retired Arizona Cardinals defensive end J.J. Watt.

Edit: Added the tweet of official "Comeback Player of the Year"

Last edited:

FPD

Reaction score
I'm sure he'll be humble about this. And in my opinion, he truly deserves it whether he wants it or not. I just wonder how he'll internalize it. I mean, I'm sure he's totally fine, but I wonder if he can use it for fuel for next year. We'll see.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wait, is this the actual NFL award that is to be given out at NFL Honors on the 9th?

QWERTY

Reaction score
lol no it’s a vote on fox sports

seabowl

Reaction score
Strange award. Usually you’d have to perform at a decent level before and then either have a down year or get injured to comeback from in order to win it. He had neither of those and just had a very good season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Strange award. Usually you’d have to perform at a decent level before and then either have a down year or get injured to comeback from in order to win it. He had neither of those and just had a very good season.
Exactly, I'm glad he won, but what did he exactly come back from?
Side note: Walker and Woolen got shafted. Moreso Walker imo.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
In MOST people's minds Geno was considered, even written off by SOME of his own fans, a nobody Backup, JAG in Russell Wilson's shadow and was supposed to just ride off into obscurity....Well....S-U-R-P-R-I-S-E!!
Can y'all imagine the angst that Geno had over the years, KNOWING that he had the 'Right Stuff' & at 30 plus years old, was likely never going to get a shot to prove it?
He's CLEARLY won the "Comeback Player Of the Year", and yet some SEAHAWKS FANS are calling into question it's legitimacy?
You'd think people would be happy for the SEAHAWK QUARTERBACK who'd just won that award.
Geno is plenty good enough to get a damned decent Contract, now whether or not he's going to get one with the Seahawks is the question.
Geno Smith is the Seahawks best option; can they afford him? Don't know, but downplaying his worth by some here is silly.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So people having an opinion is silly. Got it. Typical coming from you.
God forbid someone doesn't want the Hawks to overpay for Geno, when the team has SEVERAL holes to fill in the draft and free agency.
Geno is damn good, and was a pleasant surprise. A couple years at 20-25, sure. Maybe even 30 with incentives per year.
Not EVERYTHING has to be an argument. Geezus man.

GemCity

Reaction score
I still think Walker should have won the rookie offensive player of the year award. Especially not getting that many snaps until Penny went down.

I started to go the anti-Pete route a few years ago but, he made a strong argument for Coach of the Year

Woolen…he’s incredible and talk about a diamond in the rough! But, Sauce deserved the award for rookie DPOY. I think Woolen has a higher ceiling. His physical attributes alone are a huge asset. Considering he played at a small school and then performed like he did on the big stage….Gardner had already done that to some degree. At UC, his team went to the CFP (as did Bryant). Gardner will surely get better but, I still see Woolen surpassing him.

Grats Geno!