AP Comeback POY: Geno Smith

sutz

Reaction score
I have to admit that I was in the "not technically a comeback" camp, as I tend to think it means recovering from an injury or something. But what the hell, he earned it.

Fade

Reaction score
What did he comeback from?

He was a never was.

He was amazing this year, no doubt.

Most Improved Player Award, should be the designation.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score

He was a never was.

That's a good idea, "Most Improved Player Award," that's actually what he did. That's what I vote for. But he definitely didn't "come-back" from anything.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
LOLOL Him EARNING that award Just pi$$es y'all off HAHAHAHAH I LOVE IT!!
You clearly didn't read my first posts on the topic where I clearly said I was happy for him getting it as well as, and this is where it gets interesting, I clearly said I wasn't mad about it.

knownone

Reaction score

He was a never was.

That's an easy question to answer. He came back from relative obscurity to resurrect his career as a premier starting QB. That's an objective fact. What you, and others, are arguing is a subjective/semantic distinction of what constitutes a comeback.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
That's an easy question to answer. He came back from relative obscurity to resurrect his career as a premier starting QB. That's an objective fact. What you, and others, are arguing is a subjective/semantic distinction of what constitutes a comeback.
You can't resurrect your career as a premiere QB if you were never a premiere starting QB to begin with. That's the semantic issue.

Mick063

Reaction score
You can't resurrect your career as a premiere QB if you were never a premiere starting QB to begin with. That's the semantic issue.
So, you are telling us that Ryan Tannehill, Chad Pennington, Jon Kitna, and Tommy Maddox resurrected their careers from being "former premiere players".

Your argument doesn't even hold up against historical winners of the accolade.

Semantics. Semantics. Semantics. Just full of Semantics.

knownone

Reaction score
That's not the argument. The argument is whether Geno is eligible for comeback player of the year.

And your argument relies on an arbitrary level of historical performance for a comeback to qualify as a comeback. In other words, in your argument, it's not enough that Geno was a starting QB for two seasons before returning to prominence. No; he also had to play up to some arbitrary statistical level in the past for his 2022 season to qualify as a comeback. That's a completely subjective argument. What's not subjective is that Geno made a comeback.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Damn man, you sure get worked up over Geno. Relax man. People have their opinions, keep that BP down, bad for your health to freak out over every little "slight" you think people throw at Geno. He had a hell of a season. He also played 17 games, so that whole "record breaking" numbers thing, meh.
Geno is a good QB, he is not Elite. You make it sound like he's top 5 in the league.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Incorrect AGAIN, the games that he played while Wilson was nursing an owie finger in 2021, he put up one of the best "PREMIERE" almost ELITE level completion percentages in the entire League in those games, he then >CAME BACK< in 2022 to ONCE AGAIN grow his numbers, AND IN FACT his overall performances clobbered all those folks who had him "WRITTEN OFF" as a guy that would be lucky if he won FIVE games, he damned near DOUBLED that, AND took the Seahawks to the playoffs to boot, IF his Defense wouldn't have been one of the worst in the League the Seahawks win several more games.
He did his part, and YES, "GENO CAME BACK AGAIN from the 2021 season TO 2022 and PROVED that his numbers in 2021 were not some damned fluke.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Incorrect AGAIN, the games that he played while Wilson was nursing an owie finger in 2021, he put up one of the best "PREMIERE" almost ELITE level completion percentages in the entire League in those games, he then >CAME BACK< in 2022 to ONCE AGAIN grow his numbers, AND IN FACT his overall performances clobbered all those folks who had him "WRITTEN OFF" as a guy that would be lucky if he won FIVE games, he damned near DOUBLED that, AND took the Seahawks to the playoffs to boot, IF his Defense wouldn't have been one of the worst in the League the Seahawks win several more games.
He did his part, and YES, "GENO CAME BACK AGAIN from the 2021 season TO 2022 and PROVED that his numbers in 2021 were not some damned fluke.
So why didn’t he win the award in 21?

Mick063

Reaction score
No need to be anti semantic, words mean things and should be used properly.
The people that awarded Geno know what the word "comeback" means. It was used properly. They were not "anti-semantic".

Regardless, show me an example, within this thread, of improper use. Please be specific. Tell us what YOU think the word means. I believe that within the context of this thread, the word semantics is being used relative to the use of "comeback".

se·man·tics
[səˈman(t)iks]

NOUN
  1. the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning.
    • the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text:
      "such quibbling over semantics may seem petty stuff"

"Anti-Semantic" isn't even a word. Is the following what you mean? One thing for sure....words do MEAN things. I'll agree with you on that. So, continue with the public scolding while giving us an English lesson. Please proceed.

an·ti-Se·mit·ic
[ˌan(t)ēsəˈmidik, ˌanˌtīsəˈmidik]

ADJECTIVE
  1. hostile to or prejudiced against Jewish people:
    "anti-Semitic remarks were posted on the site" · "a steep rise in anti-Semitic incidents worldwide"

Last edited:

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Off-season is a trip, haha.
Car Crash Oops GIF by Buyout Footage

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
The people that awarded Geno know what the word "comeback" means. It was used properly. They were not "anti-semantic".

Regardless, show me an example, within this thread, of improper use. Please be specific. Tell us what YOU think the word means. I believe that within the context of this thread, the word semantics is being used relative to the use of "comeback".

se·man·tics
[səˈman(t)iks]

NOUN
  1. the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning.
    • the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text:
      "such quibbling over semantics may seem petty stuff"

"Anti-Semantic" isn't even a word. Is the following what you mean? One thing for sure....words do MEAN things. I'll agree with you on that. So, continue with the public scolding while giving us an English lesson. Please proceed.

an·ti-Se·mit·ic
[ˌan(t)ēsəˈmidik, ˌanˌtīsəˈmidik]

ADJECTIVE
  1. hostile to or prejudiced against Jewish people:
    "anti-Semitic remarks were posted on the site" · "a steep rise in anti-Semitic incidents worldwide"
Anti semantic was a joke/pun.

As for comeback:
kŭm′băk″
noun
  1. A return to formerly enjoyed status or prosperity.

Had Geno returned to his previously enjoyed status of mediocre starter with the Jets, he wouldn’t have received the award.

It was given to him because of the feel good story of exceeding expectations and performing far above his previous stint as a starter. In reality it’s a most improved award.

All that aside, it’s obviously not that big a deal given Geno couldn’t be bothered to show up and accept it.

flv2

Reaction score
...and now that we've all ripped the award title to shreds we can get to the important business of accurately re-naming the ProBowl.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
IDK, I don't get that he's a come back player,, maybe a break out player, but don't you have to come back from something, he was never something. I'm very happy he's flourishing here with us though.

Mick063

Reaction score
IDK, I don't get that he's a come back player,, maybe a break out player, but don't you have to come back from something, he was never something. I'm very happy he's flourishing here with us though.
Jon Kitna and Tommy Maddox were never "something" either. Their "comeback" was more closely aligned to your definition of "breakout" than Geno's is. Geno was much more highly regarded as a prospect than Kitna was.

Regardless, the precedent was already set long ago. Nothing new was being invented this season.