Geno and the Super Bowl

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I have never prescribed to this theory that Geno is somehow incapable of winning a Super Bowl. He is every bit as capable as any other QB to win it all, especially the ones you wouldn't think has won one but has:

Joe Flacco
Trent Dilfer
Nick Foles
Brad Johnson
Jeff Hostetler
Doug Williams

Sorry but I think Geno is every bit the QB out of any of them and in some cases a much better QB.

Build the right pieces around him - which we are - and watch and see. Geno can, and maybe will win it all.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Or you throw it right on the numbers, and not high and behind the receiver, and there's a better chance it's not picked off.

Has to be perfect to execute. You got me there.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Geno understands his situation better than anyone else. If he wants a forever legacy the SB is the only way he can get it. I think he will be totally juiced to be the best he can be. And I can't think of how to give him the credit he deserves for helping make it all possible. True blue guy.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
I have never prescribed to this theory that Geno is somehow incapable of winning a Super Bowl. He is every bit as capable as any other QB to win it all, especially the ones you wouldn't think has won one but has:

Joe Flacco
Trent Dilfer
Nick Foles
Brad Johnson
Jeff Hostetler
Doug Williams

Sorry but I think Geno is every bit the QB out of any of them and in some cases a much better QB.

Build the right pieces around him - which we are - and watch and see. Geno can, and maybe will win it all.
That is the beautiful thing about the NFL, any given Sunday.

The Los Angeles Times described Dilfer as a game manager quarterback for the Ravens that season: He "wasn't elite, but he didn't make costly mistakes, and was supported by a dominant defense." Dilfer wasn't re-signed by the Ravens, making him the only quarterback to be let go after winning a Super Bowl.

Costly mistakes being the key.

So the question comes down to, how good is Geno at taking care of the ball? 32 TD's, 12 INT's and 9 fumbles last year does raise some concern but I really don't see him as reckless or erratic, he stays cool.

I think the fewer points our defense allows and the less demand on him to throw, the better our odds.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
I love Geno's character. Seems like an accountable, likable, stand up guy. I just wish he could carry a team and not turn the ball over at the worst possible time. Other than that...
I see your point but, when is a turn over the right time?
I think Geno will do great this coming season.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
I love Geno's character. Seems like an accountable, likable, stand up guy. I just wish he could carry a team and not turn the ball over at the worst possible time. Other than that...
It is interesting looking back because this was also the problem with RW. We wanted him to carry the team but he just wasn't quite enough.

And yet, here we are again. Still hoping to land an elite QB that can carry the team but that just isn't what PC is about. And that is fine but we are going to need another QB that doesn't make costly mistakes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It is interesting looking back because this was also the problem with RW. We wanted him to carry the team but he just wasn't quite enough.

And yet, here we are again. Still hoping to land an elite QB that can carry the team but that just isn't what PC is about. And that is fine but we are going to need another QB that doesn't make costly mistakes.

There are only 2-3 QB's in the entire league that can carry their teams through stretches of games. Even guys like Mahomes and Allen eventually need balance with their run games and defense to show up.

So to expect, or even think having a QB that carries a team is the way to win? Not sure where that metric or validation comes from.

It's simply not a feasible way to build a successful football team. Balance. That's what wins, and Geno is plenty good enough to win a SB if given a dependable consistent run game and top 5 defense.

hoxrox

Reaction score
So the question comes down to, how good is Geno at taking care of the ball? 32 TD's, 12 INT's and 9 fumbles last year does raise some concern but I really don't see him as reckless or erratic, he stays cool.

I think the fewer points our defense allows and the less demand on him to throw, the better our odds.
Yes there were some anti-clutch moments from Geno last year. The strip fumble by the 49ers defender in the redzone is one such example. But just imagine if we had a back like Charbonnet in that situation, or an interior lineman who could block...

Regarding fumbles, look at these QBs who had more fumbles than Geno last season:

And also these highly-paid "top tier" QBs, who had more or the same number of picks:

With an improved WR group, RB room, and lineman who can protect, Geno won't have to "carry" the team. I expect the turnover rate to go down, and the points to go up.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Nothing to do with the QB? They don't make EITHER SB w/out him. Come on.

Wilson was an absolute monster that season with multiple game winning drives/wins and just all around a great player already by then. I don't think they win the SB without him. Of course the defense deserves a ton of credit but Wilson was very, very good that year.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
Wilson was an absolute monster that season with multiple game winning drives/wins and just all around a great player already by then. I don't think they win the SB without him. Of course the defense deserves a ton of credit but Wilson was very, very good that year.

I tend to agree because we had to have RW's elusiveness and accuracy on the run when we had that sorry offensive line.

But they are actually really close on paper, stat wise, it is arguable that Geno was slightly better in 2023 than RW in 2013.

But like I said, it was a very different team and I think Geno would have had a lot of trouble escaping the pressure.

Russ
Geno

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I tend to agree because we had to have RW's elusiveness and accuracy on the run when we had that sorry offensive line.

But they are actually really close on paper, stat wise, it is arguable that Geno was slightly better in 2023 than RW in 2013.

But like I said, it was a very different team and I think Geno would have had a lot of trouble escaping the pressure.

Russ
View attachment 59001
Geno
View attachment 59002
But with a better front line he won’t have to do as much. Our receiver corp is better than the super bowl year and arguably our running back room is as well. Sure we don’t have a beast mode (I miss that dude) but as a whole I think we are a bit above. Then again maybe not. That is a tough one. Our tight end room is better now than in 2013. Our offense is better so the defense does not need to be as elite but I sure would love it. I feel the D will take big step up this year. Of course they will probably never be as good as the 2013 D but that was a generational D. Then again here is hoping for a new generation:)

Overall I think we look at the 2013 season with rose colored glasses. They were really really good but not perfect. I am sure if we go back to threads in this forum that season we will hear about how this and that is not great and we can do better here or there.

Njla

Reaction score
The Seahawks won a Super Bowl with just such a QB. Of course, they also lost one because that QB threw an interception on the biggest play of his career, but this thread isn't about extreme chokery.
I’m don’t think it’s fair to say that. For all his ego flaws, RW was elite at one thing: comeback wins. Even in his rookie year.

That is not Geno. Could that change? Hopefully.

But that Bowl win happened in some part because of RW.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Seattle is about a strong 75-80 percent ready to compete for the NFC, right now, this upcoming season.

After the 2024 NFL draft, Seattle, should be very strong 80-99 percent ready to compete for the Super Bowl.

The 2024-2025 season Seattle should be true legit contenders for the Super Bowl.

And, yes, I think Seattle wins the 2025 Super Bowl.

renofox

Reaction score
I’m don’t think it’s fair to say that. For all his ego flaws, RW was elite at one thing: comeback wins. Even in his rookie year.

That is not Geno. Could that change? Hopefully.

But that Bowl win happened in some part because of RW.
Get with the program. RW was an overrated game manager. He was just a scrub who played hero ball. We could have gone undefeated with someone like Geno. RW's clutch play didn't really add anything to the team - anyone could have done it.

Ignore those 4th qtr wins. Geno would have had more. Just because it looks like Geno hasn't elevated his game in high pressure situations doesn't mean he won't do it now.

Am I doing it right?

Sonichound16

Reaction score
Seahawks did a bad job getting JAGs and awful trades. Wilson wasn't the problem with his salary. Wilson escape-ability "most" of his career allowed the FO to focus on other positions.

Last season we really killed it w/ the draft. Thought our defense would be the strength and Geno would be horrible and Lock ending up getting the starting job. Geno surprise everyone w/ a Probowl level play. Our defense stunk. Team ran on us w/ ease. We also had one of the worse qb pressure.

We lose Al Woods & Poona....We could have had a game changer w/ Carter at 5. Im not really sure our defense has improved. The only good thing is the Cardinals & Rams are in rebuild. Geno started to go downhill second half of the season. Our offense looks really strong, probably top 7. So we should be able to wins around 7-9 games this year.

I dont think Geno can win a Superbowl w/ this current team.
Hawks were top ten in QB pressure rate and sacks last year so not sure what you are smoking. Our run defense is what killed us...the problem is that I don't know that we have solved that with our current roster. I am sure that we will be better and maybe that will be enough if our pass defense steps up and gives us that extra second to turn a pressure into a sack. Maybe we can stack the box to stop the run and trust our secondary to shut it down. Going to be an interesting tear to be sure but I am excited to watch it.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Even if Geno falls flat on hos face, that means the record is trash and the Hawks get a top pick. Better yet, Lock comes in a drives the bus off a cliff and the Hawks still get a high pick. There is no bad outcome for Seattle by rolling with Geno

Also, I think Drew Lock is terrible but I get why people dig him. Just don't want this thread to turn in a Lock debate, haha.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with having the opinion that he's not a SB level QB. He's not an elite QB. And no, that does NOT mean I don't like the guy. He's damn good. But he's not top tier.
Super Bowl? No, but I can see them winning a playoff game, maybe even two. Yes, there have been average QB's who won a SB. But look at the rosters they had around them.
He has never even won a playoff game, and made several questionable decisions last year, especially later in the season.
At the least he’s better than Dilfer and Flacco. And both those guys won SB.