Geno and the Super Bowl

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
I'd take 2022 Smith and what I expect from 2023 Smith over the following QBs from teams that won the last 20 Super Bowls:
  • 2003 Brady. I will once again remind everybody that through Brady's 20s, he was considered a game manager. He didn't start having Peyton Manning-level seasons until he was over 30. I won't include 2004 Brady here, even though he still wasn't close to Peyton Manning's level yet in '04. He was good enough that I'd take 2004 Brady over 2022 Smith, and that's what we're discussing here. And I'd take Smith over 2003 Brady.
  • 2007 Eli Manning. Yikes. That's an easy one. 2011 Eli Manning was actually pretty good, though.
  • 2008 Roethlisberger. Not the 2005 model, but the 2008 model.
  • 2012 Joe Flacco. Flacco was actually good for a season in 2014, but his team didn't make the Super Bowl that season.
  • 2015 Peyton Manning. He was an all-time great QB, but not in his final season. Yikes.
  • 2017 Nick Foles. That one's easy.

Two who were close but didn't make the list were 2013 Wilson, who had much-better seasons later, and 2021 Stafford. In the end, I'd take 2013 Wilson and 2021 Stafford over 2022 Smith.

So I ended up preferring 2022 Smith (and what I expect from 2023 Smith) over six of 20.

To me, the most interesting was the Super Bowl in early 2008 (after the 2007 season). 2007 Eli Manning, who was pretty bad, beat 2007 Tom Brady, who had a tremendous season. So in that specific case, I'd take 2022 Smith over the winning QB from the Super Bowl, but not the losing QB.
I am talking about talent and ability

Sure Geno can fluke out and have a great season.

Tom Brady is Tom Brady ….he knows how to win

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
I'm just not sure what this means. What is super bowl caliber for any QB? While it takes the entire team to get to that destination (i.e Geno certainly doesn't play defense) I'm just trying to understand what Geno lacks that gets him tagged like this.
Geno’s talent is well below of the standard for Super Bowl winning QBs.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I feel this is still to be determined. You could possibly be right but Geno has the potential to go the other way and play lights out. I feel this season will let us know who the real Geno is.
Exactly. Dude joins net and instantly starts bashing our quarterback 😂
Things that make you go hmmmmm

Torc

Reaction score
In recent memory the 49ers have gotten to the Super Bowl with Colin Kaepernick and Jimmy Garoppolo. The Rams got there with Jared Goff. The Eagles got there and won it with a combination of Carson Wentz and Nick Foles. The Ravens did it with Joe Flacco.

I'd put Geno above any of those QBs.

Aaron Rodgers has made it to a single super bowl, and only because of blatantly bad calls during the regular season. (I refer to the Vikings game that year, where the refs screwed up two TD calls that would have won the game for the vikings. The Packers would have ended up 9-7 and missed the playoffs. Totally off topic but it's always amused me considering the hissy fit over the so called "fail mary". Old history, but I'm easily amused. :) ) Dan Marino only got to one Super Bowl and didn't win it. So "transcendent throwing of the football" is no guarantee of anything.

Take away the two modern outliers (Patrick Mahomes and Tom Brady) and the list of Super Bowl starters is a who's who of good-but-not-necessarily great QBs....and Russ at the time of our Bowls was one of them.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Russ. He is without a doubt the best QB we've ever had. But Geno has as good a chance as any QB to lead a solid team to the Super Bowl. I was very pleased during the draft to not see us take a boom-or-bust QB when we have a really good one already.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Why is it that everyone thinks we can’t win a Super Bowl with Geno. He played very well last year. With all the additional offensive weapons he will have even less pressure to "do it all”. He is more than capable. People think you need a Brady or Mahomes in order to win. That is just BS. We won when Russ was still budding and not “elite”. Plenty of others have been won without an elite QB. Geno may be elite (time will tell) but many have already written his narrative for him. Lame. I am not saying he is the second coming of Brady or anything like that but he has proven he can play at a high level. Let’s root for him and at least not write him off. Jeez. Some fan base we are.
Did you fail to watch how he performed against GOOD teams last year? he got stomped and looked like a deer in headlights and to no surprise looks like its still the same this year. And guess what teams you face in the playoffs...GOOD TEAMS....

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Super Bowl?

GEE - NO!!!

I just don't believe he has the royal jelly to get it done. However, he's probably the very best backup QB in the NFL.

Latest posts