Fieldgull article on Geno Smith

Mizak

Reaction score

Saw the following:

And therein lies the rub since I think there’s probably a difference of about $10M per season between what the Seahawks are willing to pay and what Geno Smith is (currently) willing to sign for.

Best guess:

• Seahawks: $25M max.
  • Geno: $35M min.

• Pete Carroll and John Schneider have never spent more than $32,987,500 on the quarterback position in a single season (2021), and that’s for the starter and the backup.

Jville

Reaction score
Will the team utilize the franchise tag on Geno Smith to buy more time ... or ... not?

morgulon1

Reaction score
I can't speak with certainty but it looks to me like Seattle has a different take on the QB position and I like it.
Look at all the top picks used on top rated QBs coming thru the draft . Look at the success rate or more importantly the failure rate. It's pretty high.
I think it's because these top NCAA guys are being picked in the top 10 and they go to bad teams ,coaching carousels, in other words bad situations. A lot of these guys can be rehabilitated. If Geno
Refuses what Seattle offers , they go with Lock at least for a season and regroup.

Does anyone here think Seattle is ready for a deep run by just add QB mentality?

QWERTY

Reaction score
If Carr got 37.50 you expect Geno to take 25mill?

LOL

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If Carr got 37.50 you expect Geno to take 25mill?

LOL

Unless there are other teams willing to pay Geno more, the answer is yes.

Fans always fixate on nebulous terms like "worth" and "what's fair." Has nothing to do with any of this, all that matters is what Geno and his agent can leverage out on the open market.

So if there actually are teams willing to pay Geno more than what we're offering? Then yes, he'll get more, or he'll force the Hawk's FO to pay more if they still want him at that number.

If we don't? Then see ya Geno.....and maybe there are teams willing to pay more. But we sure as hell haven't read ANYTHING about Geno garnering interest from other teams. Other than a bogus PR balloon his agent floated about the Jets possibly being a landing spot.

Not.

hawks85

Reaction score
I've already said this, Geno doesn't have the power to walk up in there and start demanding whatever. Dude had ONE good season ONE. I'm expecting 4yr 100mil or something like that. Smith WILL NOT be making more than Carr.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Will the team utilize the franchise tag on Geno Smith to buy more time ... or ... not?

View attachment 58006
I think they will not. I think they believe they have a QB friendly system and they can plug in a Qb that doesnt cost big money.

I also think Geno is making a huge mistake if he doesn't compermise. He will make more money in the long run and have a better career if he works with the Hawks. We have seen this through the years with several different players.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I've already said this, Geno doesn't have the power to walk up in there and start demanding whatever. Dude had ONE good season ONE. I'm expecting 4yr 100mil or something like that. Smith WILL NOT be making more than Carr.

If the "interested" teams like the Panthers, Jets, etc weren't willing to pay Carr more than 33-35M a year, then they sure as hell aren't going to give it to Geno.

And both Pete and John have made it VERY clear this past week that they're perfectly willing to draft a QB and go with Lock and a rookie QB in camp. So if Geno and his agent are trying to play chicken with them, they're gonna lose.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
If the "interested" teams like the Panthers, Jets, etc weren't willing to pay Carr more than 33-35M a year, then they sure as hell aren't going to give it to Geno.

And both Pete and John have made it VERY clear this past week that they're perfectly willing to draft a QB and go with Lock and a rookie QB in camp. So if Geno and his agent are trying to play chicken with them, they're gonna lose.
this is right over the target. Post of the day award.

QWERTY

Reaction score
IIRC, tagging Geno will create a 32 million cap hit this year. I doubt the Hawks have enough cap space for that.
They do if they release Gabe Jackson.

But as FG says would you rather have Geno or

• QB Drew Lock: est. $3.5M (one-year deal)
  • LB Leighton Vander Esch: est. $6.75M APY
  • EDGE Arden Key: est. $9.25M APY
  • OC Garrett Bradbury: est. $6.25M APY
  • IDL Sheldon Rankins: $6M APY
  • Total: $31.75M APY (and presumably less than that in 2023)

kidhawk

Reaction score
I've said it several times before, but it's worth repeating. I truly don't think Geno will be as good for any other team as he is for us. He got as good as he is by being here and with these receivers and this team learning the system. He's always had the physical tools. If he goes somewhere else, there will be a learning curve. I don't see any teams willing to part with $35 million plus for him. Of course I've seen foolish teams with cap money make foolish contract offers almost every year, so I can see why Geno would think he could get that. I would like to see him return here with a contract that has a decent size bonus with minimal salary this year to keep the cap number down this year and make it enough on the back end that he saves some face and then add in some incentives. If he continues to play like last season (and I see no reason why he can't do that here) then he could do well financially while giving us some cap room to make a run at being a serious contender this year.

I do believe that tagging him this year would be a mistake. I think we can save more cap room now by signing him to a 3 year deal and letting some of that cap money move to a future year where hopefully we have found a good young quarterback still under a rookie deal to take over the team.

Right now, there are so many unknowns and a lot of good draft picks coming up and that is really making for an interesting off season. Hopefully we don't need to burn an early pick on a quarterback, but we have to keep that option open for now to try to keep Geno at a reasonable price.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Unless there are other teams willing to pay Geno more, the answer is yes.

Fans always fixate on nebulous terms like "worth" and "what's fair." Has nothing to do with any of this, all that matters is what Geno and his agent can leverage out on the open market.

So if there actually are teams willing to pay Geno more than what we're offering? Then yes, he'll get more, or he'll force the Hawk's FO to pay more if they still want him at that number.

If we don't? Then see ya Geno.....and maybe there are teams willing to pay more. But we sure as hell haven't read ANYTHING about Geno garnering interest from other teams. Other than a bogus PR balloon his agent floated about the Jets possibly being a landing spot.

Not.
Geno does have the power. He can also hold out and wait for a contract. But there are multiple teams that can be interested in Geno, and I would say Jets, Giants, Ravens, Bucs, Titans, Dolphins, Falcons, Washington, Panthers and Raiders.

But what Im saying is now that Carr set his value, you can't expect Geno take a lesser deal.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Geno does have the power. He can also hold out and wait for a contract. But there are multiple teams that can be interested in Geno, and I would say Jets, Giants, Ravens, Bucs, Titans, Dolphins, Falcons, Washington, Panthers and Raiders.

But what Im saying is now that Carr set his value, you can't expect Geno take a lesser deal.

Carr signing before Geno tells you you're incorrect.

Longevity, health and larger statistical time period of success matters FAR more than the uncertainty of one good year and a QB's who's success has a high likelihood of not translating in your system or offense.

Is Geno a backup plan for some of the teams you mentioned if they can't get their own QB situation figured out after the draft? Sure, but that's not going to be a bigger number than Carr, not even close. If it was, they would have given it to Carr.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score

The Saint‘s move does put pressure on the other NFC South teams to upgrade their QB situation.

It‘s unlikely to push Geno above the Carr payday, but could go above Seattle’s salary ceiling.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm expecting the team to let Geno go to free agency, in order to allow him to set his market. After that the price will need to be right.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm expecting the team to let Geno go to free agency, in order to allow him to set his market. After that the price will need to be right.

March 15th - April 26th, that's when we'll know what the fate of Eugene Cyril Smith III will be.