Everyone says how the Bengals O-line is worst than the Seaha

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
No the #s I read were we were bottom in the league.

Now they show they are bottom 5, last year. No idea what they are this year, not sure it would be relevant because our QB was not healthy.

But there are more than 5 teams in the league, so being bottom 5 is terrible.

It isn't a weird message board thing that the OL is perceived as terrible. It is terrible, at least in time to pressure.

More concerning, it is inconsistent.

The Bengals are nowhere near worse than our OL. But they are not great for a SB team, admittedly.

Fade

Reaction score
Yxes1122":3fghoa8p said:
Two words. QB play.

Burrow is a better quick game QB than Wilson. Wilson’s sack fumble against the Cards was his failure in quick game execution.

The QB has a lot to do with the performance of the OL, and when your QB tends to see the field deep to short, your OL is going to be impacted.

This is not to say Joe Burrow is better than Wilson. I’m not trying to wade into those waters. But the style in which they play is different. Burrow is on the Brady-Manning-Ryan spectrum of QBs and he helps mitigate deficiencies on the OL with quick execution. Wilson’s improvisational style and favoring of shot plays negatively impacts the OL.

Pass blocking (or even run blocking) is not a “who has the best bodies” on the line. There’s a lot of chemistry between the 5 OL, the QB, and even the RB that makes it work.

Burrow loves to hold the ball and extend plays. He was sacked over 50 times with a higher graded O-Line than the Seahawks.

John63

Reaction score
Fade":2bawbu43 said:
Yxes1122":2bawbu43 said:
Two words. QB play.

Burrow is a better quick game QB than Wilson. Wilson’s sack fumble against the Cards was his failure in quick game execution.

The QB has a lot to do with the performance of the OL, and when your QB tends to see the field deep to short, your OL is going to be impacted.

This is not to say Joe Burrow is better than Wilson. I’m not trying to wade into those waters. But the style in which they play is different. Burrow is on the Brady-Manning-Ryan spectrum of QBs and he helps mitigate deficiencies on the OL with quick execution. Wilson’s improvisational style and favoring of shot plays negatively impacts the OL.

Pass blocking (or even run blocking) is not a “who has the best bodies” on the line. There’s a lot of chemistry between the 5 OL, the QB, and even the RB that makes it work.

Burrow loves to hold the ball and extend plays. He was sacked over 50 times with a higher graded O-Line than the Seahawks.

And again proof shown Wilson is 2.4 in time to throw or pressure. An avg oline should hold for 2.5. Enough said.

cymatica

Reaction score
John63":25bhtn4l said:
Yxes1122":25bhtn4l said:
TwistedHusky":25bhtn4l said:
It sure looks like Burrow holds the ball longer than Wilson, so not sure what the 'OL friendly thing' is.

Burrow seems to be also sacked more, behind a better line.

Last year, weren't we last in time to pressure? Isn't that essentially independent of the QB but defines when the OL blocking breaks down?

Isn't time to pressure also an issue in addressing the consistency of the QB because the QB has to alter his internal clock?

How is Time to Pressure judged when the QB fails a quick game concept?

I'll pull up the Arizona fumble again. That's instant pressure off the right side by design. And DK has the defender out leveraged with a clear throwing lane between Lewis and Brown. Russ has time throw that and beat the pressure. Instead he tries to spin out and gets strip sacked.

And this is true of Russ even in success. He's one of the best outside of structure players of all time. But there's a bunch of examples of Russell Wilson missing quick game concepts. If you're Pete Carroll, you live with this because Russell might miss an open underneath route, break the play, and hit DK down the field.

But if you're an OL, executing a quick game concept, and you do it by design, but Russell breaks the play, it's going to show up as a black mark on your grade sheet. And you've seen Duane Brown clearly upset after Russ breaks the protection.

Maybe I misspoke about just throwing quicker. It's that Burrow is a QB that pretty much exclusively plays in structure. Russell is not. Again, that doesn't mean Russell Wilson is worse than Burrow. It's just different styles of QB. You could go back and say the same thing about Brett Farve. You live with the chaos because it benefits you, but it's going to come at the detriment of other things.

And that's what I mean by QB play impacts OL execution.

Edit: I'm not trying to enter the Russell Wilson debate. I contend that he is an elite QB with a very unique skillset. And like all QBs, when you reach the elite level, the tiniest differences in play styles make a difference. Go back and watch Russell Wilson at NC State and you see many of the same quirks to his game as you do in the NFL. Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, all have pros and cons to their game. There is not a perfect QB.

Russell Wilson will regularly break structure because he's great at it. But if you are going to break structure, it is going to show up as negatives when the metrics that are charting it--are meant to chart in structure.

Let me make this easy

time to throw or pressure

An avg oline should be able to hold for 2.5 seconds

If they do their job and the Qb holds it that time to pressure or throw will be higher than the 2.5 Wilson is lower at 2.4

The breaking structure is irrelevant for this. Also, the question is why is he breaking structure is it pressure? the stats sure do make it seem so.

Only problem I have with stats like this is they do not factor play calling. A standard rb screen will take a few seconds to setup and the QB usually throws with pressure in his face. A team that runs more screens will add more time to this stat. With WR screens, that Seattle ran a lot of, the ball is released almost instantly. This will affect the average especially when we see a lot of these plays with relatively few overall plays on offense.

I think to make sense of that stat, you would have to factor in designed play calls that artificially affect that stat. Eliminating plays like screens and only factoring traditional pass plays would actually give a clear picture

John63

Reaction score
cymatica":rx6j5btg said:
John63":rx6j5btg said:
Yxes1122":rx6j5btg said:
TwistedHusky":rx6j5btg said:
It sure looks like Burrow holds the ball longer than Wilson, so not sure what the 'OL friendly thing' is.

Burrow seems to be also sacked more, behind a better line.

Last year, weren't we last in time to pressure? Isn't that essentially independent of the QB but defines when the OL blocking breaks down?

Isn't time to pressure also an issue in addressing the consistency of the QB because the QB has to alter his internal clock?

I'll pull up the Arizona fumble again. That's instant pressure off the right side by design. And DK has the defender out leveraged with a clear throwing lane between Lewis and Brown. Russ has time throw that and beat the pressure. Instead he tries to spin out and gets strip sacked.

And this is true of Russ even in success. He's one of the best outside of structure players of all time. But there's a bunch of examples of Russell Wilson missing quick game concepts. If you're Pete Carroll, you live with this because Russell might miss an open underneath route, break the play, and hit DK down the field.

But if you're an OL, executing a quick game concept, and you do it by design, but Russell breaks the play, it's going to show up as a black mark on your grade sheet. And you've seen Duane Brown clearly upset after Russ breaks the protection.

Maybe I misspoke about just throwing quicker. It's that Burrow is a QB that pretty much exclusively plays in structure. Russell is not. Again, that doesn't mean Russell Wilson is worse than Burrow. It's just different styles of QB. You could go back and say the same thing about Brett Farve. You live with the chaos because it benefits you, but it's going to come at the detriment of other things.

Edit: I'm not trying to enter the Russell Wilson debate. I contend that he is an elite QB with a very unique skillset. And like all QBs, when you reach the elite level, the tiniest differences in play styles make a difference. Go back and watch Russell Wilson at NC State and you see many of the same quirks to his game as you do in the NFL. Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, all have pros and cons to their game. There is not a perfect QB.

Russell Wilson will regularly break structure because he's great at it. But if you are going to break structure, it is going to show up as negatives when the metrics that are charting it--are meant to chart in structure.

Let me make this easy

If they do their job and the Qb holds it that time to pressure or throw will be higher than the 2.5 Wilson is lower at 2.4

The breaking structure is irrelevant for this. Also, the question is why is he breaking structure is it pressure? the stats sure do make it seem so.

Only problem I have with stats like this is they do not factor play calling. A standard rb screen will take a few seconds to setup and the QB usually throws with pressure in his face. A team that runs more screens will add more time to this stat. With WR screens, which Seattle ran a lot of, the ball is released almost instantly. This will affect the average especially when we see a lot of these plays with relatively few overall plays on offense.

I think to make sense of that stat, you would have to factor in designed play calls that artificially affect that stat. Eliminating plays like screens and only factoring traditional pass plays would actually give a clear picture

and this is the thing all those things you mention and a lot more impact time to throw. But as you have seen people don't want to factor anything in. All they want to do is say Wilson holds the ball too long not realizing there are other factors involved. That's Why I showed the TTT/TTP to show just how even pressure changes things.

Either way TTT/TTP is more accurate than just TTT but still a lot of other things to take into account.

cymatica

Reaction score
John63":2dxvebr3 said:
cymatica":2dxvebr3 said:
John63":2dxvebr3 said:
Yxes1122":2dxvebr3 said:

Let me make this easy

Only problem I have with stats like this is they do not factor play calling. A standard rb screen will take a few seconds to setup and the QB usually throws with pressure in his face. A team that runs more screens will add more time to this stat. With WR screens, which Seattle ran a lot of, the ball is released almost instantly. This will affect the average especially when we see a lot of these plays with relatively few overall plays on offense.

and this is the thing all those things you mention and a lot more impact time to throw. But as you have seen people don't want to factor anything in. All they want to do is say Wilson holds the ball too long not realizing there are other factors involved. That's Why I showed the TTT/TTP to show just how even pressure changes things.

Either way TTT/TTP is more accurate than just TTT but still a lot of other things to take into account.

People usually go off the eye test. Just by that, it sure looks like he holds on to the ball too long too often. There's also all the footage that shows him taking sacks or waiting for the deep route while passing off the underneath routes too often. Of course, sometimes he just does a 180, especially in the no huddle or 2 minute, and he gets rid of the ball fast, but that seems too few and far between.

Either way, time to throw and time to pass does not take into account plays that artificially affect those stats. If you can break down the stats on standard pass plays, ie no screens or trick plays, then it would actually paint a better picture. I would bet his time to throw goes over the 2.5 mark when you disregard WR screens.

toffee

Reaction score
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... vanced.htm

Our Russ had 2.4 sec pocket time, which is 3 seconds more than big Ben he only had 2.1 sec; 2 sec more than Rodgers, he enjoyed 2.2 sec; and 1 second, more than Brandy, Mahomes, Jimmy G, Borrow, and Murray these guys made do with 2.3 sec.,

BUT Profootball reference hasn't been certified by our John63 yet so can't be used as proof.

Pocktime: Average time QB have in the pocket between snapping the ball and either throwing the ball or pressure collapse.

Russ had 2.4 seconds, he suffered 27% QB pressure (QBP)
Big Ben had 2.1 seconds, he suffered 18.6% QBP
Rodgers had 2.2 seconds, he suffered 22.3% QB pressure.
Brady had 2.3 seconds, he suffered 11.1% QBP
Jimmy G had 2.3 sec, he sufferend 18.7 QBP
Murray had 2.3 sec, he suffered 20.7 QBP
Mahome had 2.3 sec, he suffered 22.1 QBP
Burrow had 2.3 sec, his QBP 24.5

What these stats pointed to Wilson had above average pocket time, but he didn't get rid of the ball fast or often enough within that 2.4 seconds, and defenders knew that. Big Ben only had 2.2 seconds, but only 18.6 % pressure, why? He rid the balls within that 2.1 seconds, he didn't need more time. Same for Brady, he has less time than Wilson but only suffered 11.1% QB pressure.

OK Burrow, he also has less time than Wilson, and he also didn't get rid of the ball fast enough. But apparently faster than Wilson, his QBP 24.5%.

Our OL in 2021 did give Wilson above average pocket time, Our franchise QB suffered way above average pressure despite having above average pocket time. You do the math.

Elemas

Reaction score
So much misinformation and misinterpretation in this thread…Not even going to…never mind. Carry on.

John63

Reaction score
toffee":uu438w7v said:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/passing_advanced.htm

Our Russ had 2.4 sec pocket time, which is 3 seconds more than big Ben he only had 2.1 sec; 2 sec more than Rodgers, he enjoyed 2.2 sec; and 1 second, more than Brandy, Mahomes, Jimmy G, Borrow, and Murray these guys made do with 2.3 sec.,

BUT Profootball reference hasn't been certified by our John63 yet so can't be used as proof.

Pocktime: Average time QB have in the pocket between snapping the ball and either throwing the ball or pressure collapse.

What these stats pointed to Wilson had above average pocket time, but he didn't get rid of the ball fast or often enough within that 2.4 seconds, and defenders knew that. Big Ben only had 2.2 seconds, but only 18.6 % pressure, why? He rid the balls within that 2.1 seconds, he didn't need more time. Same for Brady, he has less time than Wilson but only suffered 11.1% QB pressure.

OK Burrow, he also has less time than Wilson, and he also didn't get rid of the ball fast enough. But apparently faster than Wilson, his QBP 24.5%.

Our OL in 2021 did give Wilson above average pocket time, Our franchise QB suffered way above average pressure despite having above average pocket time. You do the math.

Avg oline 2.5 us 2.4 time to throw or pressure that all thanks for proving my point. Oh and 6th highest pressure%

toffee

Reaction score
John63":3qajh6q2 said:
toffee":3qajh6q2 said:

Avg olinr 2.5 us 2.4 tonthrow or pressure that all thanks for proving my point. Oh and 6th highest pressure%

ROFL ROFL ROFL

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Well if they want a top 5 line they won’t be able to spend on DK and Diggs. Unless everyone is willing to take less. Which I don’t blame them for not. Signing FA lineman might work but who knows. And drafting. Well that’s a crap shoot.

I think they should break the bank and sign every top FA lineman avail and hope the cap goes up a lot to afford anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own The West

Reaction score
toffee":2mb8s4z5 said:
John63":2mb8s4z5 said:
toffee":2mb8s4z5 said:

Avg olinr 2.5 us 2.4 tonthrow or pressure that all thanks for proving my point. Oh and 6th highest pressure%

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Burrow was sacked 70 times last year, so that's probably where the "worst OL" tag came from.

Toffee makes a good point that several QBs had less time to throw than Russell, but didn't have as high a pressure rate because they got rid of the ball faster. It follows that Russell could significantly reduce the number of times he is sacked or hit by getting the ball out on time.

One correction I'd make to both of you guys is that 2.4 vs 2.5 seconds is on average, not significantly above or below.

John63

Reaction score
Own The West":1ur3e85a said:
toffee":1ur3e85a said:
John63":1ur3e85a said:
toffee":1ur3e85a said:

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Burrow was sacked 70 times last year, so that's probably where the "worst OL" tag came from.

Toffee makes a good point that several QBs had less time to throw than Russell, but didn't have as high a pressure rate because they got rid of the ball faster. It follows that Russell could significantly reduce the number of times he is sacked or hit by getting the ball out on time.

One correction I'd make to both of you guys is that 2.4 vs 2.5 seconds is on average, not significantly above or below.

The whole not having ad high a pressure rate does not mean it is a direct problem.of Wilson's. The play call and design can impact that. The wrs can impact that etc.

Also it's irrelevant if the avg oline is supposed to hold up for 2.5 and Wilson is getting g pressured in 2.4 that means the oline is not doing its job. I.am.prwtty sure if you were doing your job below avg you would be fired.

Throwdown

Reaction score
HawkinNY":3uifygks said:
Well if they want a top 5 line they won’t be able to spend on DK and Diggs. Unless everyone is willing to take less. Which I don’t blame them for not. Signing FA lineman might work but who knows. And drafting. Well that’s a crap shoot.

I think they should break the bank and sign every top FA lineman avail and hope the cap goes up a lot to afford anyone else.

Or you commit to a run game and rebuild the RB room to make things easier for Russ to work his magic without leaving the defense out to dry cuz the QB has always struggled on 3rd downs and having him throw 40x a game is going to put you behind the sticks more times than he’s gonna be on schedule.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":2rdkpw4u said:
Own The West":2rdkpw4u said:
toffee":2rdkpw4u said:
John63":2rdkpw4u said:

ROFL ROFL ROFL

The whole not having ad high a pressure rate does not mean it is a direct problem.of Wilson's. The play call and design can impact that. The wrs can impact that etc.

Also it's irrelevant if the avg oline is supposed to hold up for 2.5 and Wilson is getting g pressured in 2.4 that means the oline is not doing its job. I.am.prwtty sure if you were doing your job below avg you would be fired.

You think companies fire employees who do their job extremely close to "average," as defined by a single metric that you keep spamming because you think it proves something that it doesn't?

What a fascinatingly inaccurate, borderline insane worldview.

John63

Reaction score
Throwdown":hd2t0v8s said:
HawkinNY":hd2t0v8s said:

Or you commit to a run game and rebuild the RB room to make things easier for Russ to work his magic without leaving the defense out to dry cuz the QB has always struggled on 3rd downs and having him throw 40x a game is going to put you behind the sticks more times than he’s gonna be on schedule.

Again this is false our Qb has not always struggled don 3rd down as has been shown already in multiple threads in this forum. He was at or above league avg in complete % and ypa on 3r down in 8 of his 10 seasons.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3chg112f said:
John63":3chg112f said:
Own The West":3chg112f said:
toffee":3chg112f said:
ROFL ROFL ROFL

You think companies fire employees who do their job extremely close to "average," as defined by a single metric that you keep spamming because you think it proves something that it doesn't?

again avg 2.5 we are 2.4 below avg and if you don't think companies don't fire people when they can not perform even at an avg level then you don't get much. You are right though you do have a fascinatingly inaccurate, borderline insane worldview.

Throwdown

Reaction score
John63":2pzo0ogy said:
Throwdown":2pzo0ogy said:
HawkinNY":2pzo0ogy said:

Again this is false our Qb has not always struggled don 3rd down as has been shown already in multiple threads in this forum. He was at or above league avg in complete % and ypa on 3r down in 8 of his 10 seasons.

What about CONVERTING them? You can complete passes til your hearts desire but how about converting the 3rd down on a consistent basis?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/1482838590216450051[/tweet]

Russ is 30th on that list, he has a 3rd down problem

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":o2izei4z said:
Maelstrom787":o2izei4z said:
John63":o2izei4z said:
Own The West":o2izei4z said:

again avg 2.5 we are 2.4 below avg and if you don't think companies don't fire people when they can not perform even at an avg level then you don't get much. You are right though you do have a fascinatingly inaccurate, borderline insane worldview.

These posts of yours aren't based in reality. They are dissociative nightmares that strive solely to reinforce a persecution complex centered around a football player.

No one gets fired for being slightly below average, and no sane person thinks an average of about .1 seconds MAX ruins the performance of a supposedly transcendental talent at quarterback.

If he were as good as Burrow, maybe he'd find a way. Maybe he'd convert some third downs while he's at it.

On top of this, you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the word "average." Unemployment is like, what? 7%? You think 93% of individuals are average or better at their jobs? That's not how numbers work. Thats not how reality works.

This is elementary logic. An absolutely infinitesimal amount of critical thinking is needed to see just how flawed your premise is here, yet you continue to dig your heels in. It's degrading to everyone trying to read the other posts in the thread, honestly.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Firing a drafted, playing NFL player for being "below average" is still firing someone with tremendous talent. And finding a replacement may be extremely difficult. If RW has a stat that is below average then, he should be fired.