Elephant in the room...Russell Wilson

John63

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":25ynt5oc said:
John63":25ynt5oc said:
Hockey Guy":25ynt5oc said:
I don't think Russell is that fat that he should be called an elephant.

He just looks fatter because I think he wears a flak-jacket to protect for injury.

they know that, but it another in the list of crap they can B...tch about, so they do.

But comparing his size to an elephant & that he'll have trouble fitting into a room so we need to discuss it?

That's a little too much fat shaming IMO.

your right but you need to consider the source. it's the blissful group

TraderGary

Reaction score
mistaowen":32dtmyvh said:
Defenses have changed how they play Russ ever since the Vikings game. They run a ton of cover 2 and cover 4 with varied pre-snap alignments but the same 2 deep safety coverage. Those shot plays that worked for 5 weeks haven't worked because teams got film and saw how explosively successful they were (and how often they were called). Couple that with a rather limited short to intermediate passing game, we see a lot less chunk plays and a lot more struggle. It is VERY rare for DK to get single coverage deep down the sidelines anymore outside of the Eagles game where they thought single coverage was a good idea.

The problem I've seen is they really haven't adjusted on offense to this, at least through 3 quarters of each game. The middle of the field should be eaten alive against these coverages but a lot of those same slow developing sideline homeruns are still getting called. Russ is noticeably more gunshy since the turnover spree - probably with some nudging from Pete - and that's why the team only really moves the ball when it's 4th quarter go time and they're uptempo. You can see a clear switch in philosophy and scheme when they need to get things rolling and it's frustrating they can't come out with that same energy, especially since the defense is finally playing above average ball.

This might work against a Goff-less Rams assuming the game stays close but I have a hard time picturing the D getting consistent stops against the Packers, Bucs, and Saints which will be the same exact dance as the last few playoffs. Down big early by halftime, offense with only a FG or two puttering along, clearly shift into Russ mode late and it's close towards the end but not really in doubt. They'll need to come out firing and give the D a lead against those teams to make a run this year.
Nailed it. We've seen that scenario play out too many times.

My biggest issue with Pete, (other than his penchant for going ultra-conservative for the first 3 quarters in an attempt to keep the game close and winning in the 4th quarter which never works in the playoffs against quality teams like NO and GB), is his failure to adjust to what the other team is doing, both in-game, and game planning during the week. He stubbornly sticks with what they like to do regardless of what the opposing team is showing them. That has to adversely affect Russ, and our offense as a whole. As you noted, teams have adjusted defensively to what we like to do, and we have inexplicably done nothing to counter that.

What I wouldn't give to have an OC like Bieniemy, but only if he was given full autonomy. No doubt he would build a dynamic offense around our QB, a system that takes advantage of RW's greatest strengths. Russ would excel in that type of system and we would be dynamic for 4 quarters, not just one when we're trying to make another miracle comeback.

Of course Bieniemy would never accept that position because he's probably the hottest head coaching candidate on the market right now. And even if he didn't want a HC job yet, why would he ever leave KC, and the best QB in the league. If Pete didn't just sign a long term extension, I would have been in favor of going hard after Bieniemy.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I do think we will need russ to play at a high level in the playoffs. I do think rams game will be who makes the most or biggest mistake. Goff or Russ. I believe we win.

TraderGary

Reaction score
No question we're going to need Russ to be at the top of his game to have any chance in the playoffs. We all know he's capable. This is his opportunity to prove all the naysayers wrong and put himself back in the elite category with Mahomes and Rodgers.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely, he needs to be locked in/pissed off Russ. That's how this team can do some damage.
If he looks tentative, or the O line isn't blocking, it's a real challenge. He's def. had some games that were head scratchers (by HIS standards, and not even close to how bad they are made out to be)
I know I am supposedly the Russ lover of all time, but he flat out DOES have to play better for this team to win. You can say that about ANY team with an elite QB. If Rodgers, Brees, Mahomes or Brady don't play their A game, they can flat out be knocked off. But there's no secret how I feel about what he can do. He's an all time great, and until I see differently, I expect a very locked in Russ on Saturday.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is the very definition of politics in America. He has to work twice as hard to get the respect of some of you. The only way he can get respect, is to throw 4 TDs a game.

What you failed to mention, is that in the last 9 games, 4 of his 7 interceptions happened in TWO GAMES. TWO.

Whatever the issue you and others have with Russell Wilson, it's not football. In the last 7 games he has thrown for 12 TDs and 3 Int. You can also add a rushing TD to that. Not spectacular, but not horrific especially when play calling has gotten conservative and we've statistically ran less passing plays.

If you all want to do this thing where you treat Russell like less of a QB and a human being, suggesting that his actual good play isn't good. And twisting numbers to suit a completely biased narrative towards him, then I guess we are going to be arguing on here a lot.

The real elephant in the room is that some of you have never truly embraced Russell Wilson since 2012, and have found every single way to diminish his accomplishments, his football IQ, and his ability for years. And it's not based on a genuine effort to be FAIR to him, at all.

In summary, stop treating him like he's Carson Wentz. And if you believe he is Carson Wentz, you're exposing yourself because from a Factual standpoint their numbers aren't remotely close in overall performance.

John63

Reaction score
Scorpion05":7msk2l03 said:
Russell Wilson is the very definition of politics in America. He has to work twice as hard to get the respect of some of you. The only way he can get respect, is to throw 4 TDs a game.

What you failed to mention, is that in the last 9 games, 4 of his 7 interceptions happened in TWO GAMES. TWO.

Whatever the issue you and others have with Russell Wilson, it's not football. In the last 7 games he has thrown for 12 TDs and 3 Int. You can also add a rushing TD to that. Not spectacular, but not horrific especially when play calling has gotten conservative and we've statistically ran less passing plays.

If you all want to do this thing where you treat Russell like less of a QB and a human being, suggesting that his actual good play isn't good. And twisting numbers to suit a completely biased narrative towards him, then I guess we are going to be arguing on here a lot.

The real elephant in the room is that some of you have never truly embraced Russell Wilson since 2012, and have found every single way to diminish his accomplishments, his football IQ, and his ability for years. And it's not based on a genuine effort to be FAIR to him, at all.

In summary, stop treating him like he's Carson Wentz. And if you believe he is Carson Wentz, you're exposing yourself because from a Factual standpoint their numbers aren't remotely close in overall performance.

BING BING BING we have a winner.

Preach!!!

John63

Reaction score
fire_marshall_bill":37pwtpvk said:
bottom third?

the OP blatantly used stats he knew was wrong and when called out on it, changed the subject to another blatantly incorrect yeah to bad the FACTS and STATS show he is top 3.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
hoxrox":1eviagum said:
All these statements can be true, simultaneously.

1) Russ is a Hall of Fame QB and is the best QB we've ever had.

2) Russ was playing at an Elite Level at the beginning of the season.

3) Russ became a Turn-over machine in the middle of the season.

4) Russ appears to be trending up at the end of the season, however, he is still not playing at an Elite level.

5) Sure, there are many valid or invalid reasons for this.

6) However, we need Russ to be playing at an Elite level for the Hawks to advance to the SB.

That is all.

Not only CAN all of those statements be true simultaneously...they essentially all ARE true...and have been true at different times for essentially his entire career.

He can be abysmal and magical, a turnover machine and a pure champion, he can be elite and he can look like total ass...and he can do all of these things in the SAME GAME. After the 2014 NFCCG against Green Bay, we should all understand this.

Russ is an elite level QB...playing in an offense that doesn't always require it...and when it does require it sometimes has a scheme/gameplan failure that has a tendency to enable Russell to look like a shitty QB at times. And at times, he's also a shitty QB in his own right.

But overall, ain't one guy in the NFL I want over this guy in the playoffs. I've felt like this since the 2014 NFCCG.

LTH

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":25zeh9po said:

No matter what happens... no matter how good the Hawks are... No matter how far they go into the playoffs... No matter if they win the SB... There is ALWAYS going to be a group of people who need to find the negative side of things...

I think it is actually what inspired Pete Carroll to have the current mentality to his philosophy...Carroll has been proving these people wrong his entire career ... It's why he protects his team from the media especially the national media...Its actually a really good thing for the Hawks for the media and everyone else who shows such blatant negativity toward Carrolls team because he uses it to motivate his team... so go ahead have at it world talk him down it just makes him stronger... and makes the naysayers look bad... I actually think its funny as hell...

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just kind of over talking about the Russ thing. I know I say the same things over and over attempting to make my point. And I've pissed some people off, which has never been my intention. So, I just want to talk football, and less of my smart ass comments when someone is clearly wrong about the team (after they win)
It's never personal, but I can see where it grinds on people
Seems funny at the time to point out the wrong doom and gloom predictions, but now I just realize I probably look like an asshole. It's just a message board, and it's just a game. A game I clearly take WAY too personal and seriously :irishdrinkers:

Go Hawks!

rcaido

Reaction score
If only Seahawks player read this forum beside Wagner....So much bulletin-board material.

John63

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":24abxpzo said:
hoxrox":24abxpzo said:
All these statements can be true, simultaneously.

1) Russ is a Hall of Fame QB and is the best QB we've ever had.

2) Russ was playing at an Elite Level at the beginning of the season.

3) Russ became a Turn-over machine in the middle of the season.

4) Russ appears to be trending up at the end of the season, however, he is still not playing at an Elite level.

5) Sure, there are many valid or invalid reasons for this.

6) However, we need Russ to be playing at an Elite level for the Hawks to advance to the SB.

That is all.

Not only CAN all of those statements be true simultaneously...they essentially all ARE true...and have been true at different times for essentially his entire career.

He can be abysmal and magical, a turnover machine and a pure champion, he can be elite and he can look like total ass...and he can do all of these things in the SAME GAME. After the 2014 NFCCG against Green Bay, we should all understand this.

Russ is an elite level QB...playing in an offense that doesn't always require it...and when it does require it sometimes has a scheme/gameplan failure that has a tendency to enable Russell to look like a $h!t QB at times. And at times, he's also a $h!t QB in his own right.

But overall, ain't one guy in the NFL I want over this guy in the playoffs. I've felt like this since the 2014 NFCCG.

Funny part is all those things can be true of every QB in the league or who has ever played

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3lo3qbq8 said:
Yeah, I'm just kind of over talking about the Russ thing. I know I say the same things over and over attempting to make my point. And I've pissed some people off, which has never been my intention. So, I just want to talk football, and less of my smart ass comments when someone is clearly wrong about the team (after they win)
It's never personal, but I can see where it grinds on people
Seems funny at the time to point out the wrong doom and gloom predictions, but now I just realize I probably look like an @$$h0le. It's just a message board, and it's just a game. A game I clearly take WAY too personal and seriously :irishdrinkers:

Go Hawks!

Nice post.

Heres to you

:irishdrinkers:

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Wilson is the problem or this offence has been found out. You can't just keep relying on the deep pass when teams know about it and set up to defend those deep balls, you have to do something different. To me, it seems like the overeliance on two WRs is the problem, we need to get throwing more to TEs, RBs, throwing more to slow receivers and so on. If a guy like Ramsay is going to match DK on a long run, fine, throw it 8 yards to Dissly or Swain.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I hope we are able to move Russ around a bit tomorrow, half rolls off play-action etc. If the Rams sit back taking the deep play away Russ needs time have those crossing plays that should work develop and changing his launch point can buy that extra time too. I don't now how good the Rams are at covering backs out of the backfield, but if the Rams are taking away the WR's maybe dumps to Carson and Penny can work.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1gy47d7k said:
The same Russ who has the 2nd more Touchdown Passes in NFL HISTORY over his first 9 seasons.
Haven’t seen that guy in over 2 months