Earl Thomas with a telling quote?

kearly

Reaction score
Honestly all I got out of the Earl quote is that he's super competitive. When you are winning, none of that little stuff matters. Water under the bridge. When you are losing all the little stuff becomes big especially to competitive people.

There is truth in what Baldwin says. Russ missed seeing Tyler Lockett for a gimme long TD, and overthrew a pass to Doug for an interception that would have been caught by Doug had it been thrown to the correct spot. It's fresh in his mind after the team goes through film on Monday.

I don't think Doug sees that as a slam on Wilson but as a way of saying the entire offense has to take responsibility. That said Baldwin is a bit of a contrarian type and I think a lot of his defense of Bevell is more pushback than actual praise for Bevell's designs and playcalling.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Maybe but Baldwin has taken subtle digs at Wilson before.

It wouldn't be a first time.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
The thing about this year is you can't singularly point out any one thing as the cause for our issues because it's clearly a combination of all things.

Literally every positional part of the team has rightful blame for the poor performance this year as does the stubborness of coahces etc. etc.

The inability to hold on to leads is alarming though, I feel like we lose late leads in like 75% of our games, and I actually think stats prove that as well, maybe even more than 75%.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ccutuq4 said:
Maybe but Baldwin has taken subtle digs at Wilson before.

It wouldn't be a first time.

Then maybe RW should work his ass off a little harder.

Oh but maybe he is, nah man. RW was pretty consistent through his first three years and now he all of a sudden can't make accurate throws? I have a hard time believing he just forgot how to play, but then again there is Kaepernick so.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Earl is really the only guy who (subtly) will admit that things aren't right in the locker room. Everyone else speaks like everyone is on the same page and they just need to communicate better. It's all bull. He's probably just hinting at the things that most of the guys wish they could say. It's commendable that they won't publicly blast their own guys but good lord, TRY TO FIX WHAT'S WRONG, DAMMIT!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Anthony!":1ley96hc said:
SeaMeat":1ley96hc said:
cesame":1ley96hc said:
mikeak":1ley96hc said:
1) We need to forgive Bevell (for superbowl loss)

2) We need to forgive Kam

/end thread

Since you bring up Bevell, Doug Baldwin had this to say

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/667106429149450241[/tweet]

That sounds like a dig at RW to me...

or the oline either way not good, add to that while Doug may say that the analyst disagree, sounds more like saving his own butt for not getting open when he should.

It's literally amazing that you are able to blame everyone else on the field but Wilson. Like.. unbelievable. :lol:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I go back to the thread someone made after the Carolina loss in that this teams soul died in Glendale after XLIX.

Some may scoff and roll their eyes and go "they're over it! they're professionals! that'd never happen here!" ... but it does. Especially when the team starts to lose games they aren't used to losing. Hell, there is already history with this particular set of players in that there was a divide between offense and defense. We read that article in Sports Illustrated, we heard the quotes from the players themselves.

So again.. sitting at 4-5, basically needing to win out to give yourself a realistic shot at a wild card and a very small shot at a division title.. if you don't think those same issues that bubbled to the surface when we chose to throw an inside slant a yard away from back-to-back championships may not start rearing its ugly head again as the team slips further and further back in the standings.. I think you're completely naive.

I'm fearful this locker room can splinter in half and this season can really go off the rails. The offense being inept for giant chunks of time, a quarterback thats been thrusted into the limelight with his celebrity girlfriend and now giant salary, a defense thats gone from being like Mariano Rivera with a lead to Fernando Rodney, unhappy stars on the defensive side of the ball that want more money, etc etc etc.

If they don't start winning games.. it could get very, very ugly in that locker room.

Subzero717

Reaction score
cesame":1jev3gg6 said:
Earl also added that sometimes he's seeing questionable effort on the field

That sounds like Cary Williams imo

To me that sounds like everyone not named Earl Thomas, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, KJ Wright or Bobby Wagner.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Having seen the quote in full its definitely a jab at RW. Said the inefficiency of the passing game is leading to defensive failures. Saying plays are there to be made and aren't. Thats 100% at RW if he was blaming the line he wouldn't be saying plays are there.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If that's the case, maybe he should worry about his Defense, who has blown leads in the 4th quarter and overtime in the last 6 losses. D has been a problem as well. Not just the whipping boy of Seattle behind center.

nsport

Reaction score
The failure of this team is a whole team effort. Period.

The QB bails out of plays way too fast. He has Jim Everett disease and teams are learning how to contain him. Dare I say he's smelling a bit of Kaepernick by not making good presnap reads or going to primary receivers and throwing them open.
The O-line has not gelled.
The DB's are miscommunicating.
The LB's are being caught out of position or not reading plays correctly.
The D-Line is not getting consistent pressure.
Coaching staff - not making the necessary adjustments / time management, etc.
Even Special Teams (returns, coverage, 2 pt tries, punt accuracy - maybe save Hauschka) are struggling
Running game has no threat of the read option or creativity
Wide receivers are not consistently open
Tight Ends disappear
Leaders are not driving behavior or leading by example
Way too many damn penalties

In order to fix this, every area must be shored up at least a little. Here's the funny part - we have been in every game. Not prescribing voodoo here as this very non-specific list has no "one drug fixes it all" solution - but the bottom line is no single element is to blame. I kind of think it's the perfect storm of mediocrity that is causing this teams failures.

I think the key is to change the "want to" element of things. These guys literally have their backs up against the wall. Best case scenario they are one of 3 teams battling for 2 wild cards spots. Worst case scenario there might be five or six teams in that battle.

Russ's old line "no time to sleep" has never been truer now. The "want to" has to ratchet up - in ALL position groups and all coaches.

rideaducati

Reaction score
mikeak":3addi5s4 said:
1) We need to forgive Bevell (for superbowl loss)

2) We need to forgive Kam

/end thread

It is difficult to forgive someone that has no remorse for what they did. Bevell has never owned up to his mistake and has watched Pete and Russell stand up and take the blame with everyone knowing that neither Pete or Russell were at fault. Until Bevell steps up and takes the blame, nobody will forgive him.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Mojambo":3jkb29ui said:
idahohawk":3jkb29ui said:
Crizilla":3jkb29ui said:
yea i have the dreaded feeling some players aren't fully over from the SB............i hope theyre just talking about comminucations errors or things going on THIS season. Cmon guys its crunch time. You can go on a roll and get back to the owl.......its not too late

I was ridiculed on Twitter for saying this a few weeks ago. I knew when that abomination of a play call happened, it would gut this team from the inside out. I feel strongly that is what is wrong with this team. Bevell (and Pete's) completely idiotic play call totally destroyed this team's heart. Yeah there have been other factors like Kam's utter selfishness, Wilson's eccentricity, and the absolute brutal and loaded scheduling of the NFL, but ultimately this team's soul was totally annihilated on what might be the worst play in Seattle sports history.

I think Bevell's job needs to be sacrificed to atone for that horrific play. I'm only half kidding.

I'm sorry, but if a bad play call could destroy this team's heart, they've been a complete fraud from the start. (Forgive the rhyme please)
They put their bodies on the line every week and fight through pain week after week. They managed to get where so few people get, and WE THROW AN INTERCEPTION ON THE GOALLINE TO END OUR CHANCES.

The players missed out on extra money as well as all the other perks that go along with being the SB winner.

Great teams have been torn apart by less.

If you don't understand the total heartbreak of being so close to something and missing out then you're missing part of what it means to be human.

marko358

Reaction score
I'm surprised more people aren't commenting on the other Earl quote floating around...

LGkeoVYi4hCCSX5zTFJvjjDGU8YEKrZ MbSZjw523 h190 no

Basis4day

Reaction score
marko358":198bro0l said:
I'm surprised more people aren't commenting on the other Earl quote floating around...

Make that yourself?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I get the feeling that we are missing someone.

And not someone the fans would even notice, but someone that might have kept the factions in line.

It felt like Mike Rob did a little of that when he was here, but when you have an organization that just suddenly shifts overnight and so many leaks + whispers, usually it is because someone kept each side managed and worked with people to keep them on the prize.

I t will be interesting to hear just how long different parts have chafed over the other and when that started to turn into something visibile outside of the locker room.

marko358

Reaction score
Basis4day":2v0df8pf said:
marko358":2v0df8pf said:

Make that yourself?
Thought it was obvious. Just trying to make the time fly on a slow news day.