Drew Lock vs Geno Smith

Natethegreat

Reaction score
No, which is why I think its a bit of a stretch. I do think he was very injured last year and is capable of better play.

chris98251

Reaction score
Are you seriously suggesting Russ tried so hard to get back because he was afraid he would lose his job to Geno Smith? You can maybe say it was ego, I would attribute it to a desire to lead his team to wins however misplaced some might feel that to be, but fear of losing his job to Geno is silly non sense.
If Geno proves he can run Waldrons offense and we win multiple games how does that affect two things, Trade value and Russell's Ego, Legacy, as well as other teams perception of his skill set.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
If Geno proves he can run Waldrons offense and we win multiple games how does that affect two things, Trade value and Russell's Ego, Legacy, as well as other teams perception of his skill set.
What leads you to believe Geno is capable of winning multiple games? He played thee games last year all against terrible teams and he won at home against THE WORST team in the NFL last season and lost the other two. I watched those games, he stunk in two and was all right against the Jaguars who were a joke last year.
The delusion about what Geno is, seems to be strong with a few posters here. To answer your question. If Geno won multiple games it doesn't change what Russel did the last ten years here. It doesn't change his legacy either, nor do I think it will change other teams perception of Russ's skill set. They have had ten years to watch him play I don't see how Geno winning a few games changes how they view Russel.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Lock gives us more upside in terms of athleticism and command of the huddle

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Lock gives us more upside in terms of athleticism and command of the huddle
Lock hasn't been good, his game got holes. BUT, he at $2mil is cheap, and he "might" just be good enough to function as that PeteBall game manager till we are ready for the next franchise QB, I expect 6 - 8 win under Lock with Penny and a functioning running game. If Lock can improve on his turnovers, which really is his downfall in Denver, we might even get to 9 wins.

Is Lock the second coming of Russell Wilson? Probably not! Could he play better as a PeteBall game manager than how he played in Denver? I think so.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Lock hasn't been good, his game got holes. BUT, he at $2mil is cheap, and he "might" just be good enough to function as that PeteBall game manager till we are ready for the next franchise QB, I expect 6 - 8 win under Lock with Penny and a functioning running game. If Lock can improve on his turnovers, which really is his downfall in Denver, we might even get to 9 wins.

Is Lock the second coming of Russell Wilson? Probably not! Could he play better as a PeteBall game manager than how he played in Denver? I think so.
Hard to say. He's still somewhat of a mystery but he's got a hose for an arm I know that by watching some film. In his defense he's had to endure some changes at OC in a really bad Denver system so he needs a fair look in Seattle. Defensively I expect the Hawks to be stout next year. Biggest holes are O line and one corner.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
What I fear is Lock plays well enough to not draft Stroud next year yet miss the playoffs by one game. Lol

Then again Pete and JS might take Corral if available early second. I’ve never been able to predict any of their picks correctly. Going with Gerald Cross or Stingley at 9 sounds great either way

chris98251

Reaction score
What leads you to believe Geno is capable of winning multiple games? He played thee games last year all against terrible teams and he won at home against THE WORST team in the NFL last season and lost the other two. I watched those games, he stunk in two and was all right against the Jaguars who were a joke last year.
The delusion about what Geno is, seems to be strong with a few posters here. To answer your question. If Geno won multiple games it doesn't change what Russel did the last ten years here. It doesn't change his legacy either, nor do I think it will change other teams perception of Russ's skill set. They have had ten years to watch him play I don't see how Geno winning a few games changes how they view Russel.
You can release the lip lock, Wilson is no longer here, if you watched Geno was doing more each game after what more then 5 years of not playing under fire. You have to past the end results and numbers, his command, timing, and who the team played for him also.

That doesn't matter though, JP Losman is making a comeback .

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I think the better way to approach this is who's the better for THIS year, and what is the GOAL of this team for 2023. We know Pete says "Always compete", but does he really mean it this year? I seriously doubt they are gonna waste a high draft pick on a QB in the 2022 draft, but I totally could see them wanting to have a high pick in 2023. So that begs the question, do they really WANT to win much in 2022?

Honestly, I don't think it really matters all that much to Pete and John how may wins they get this year, I think they are play this year as a development year, and pointing towards 2023 to find their franchise guy. Therefore, it really doesn't matter which guy 'wins' the job, they both will be below par as a starter. That being said, my choice would be to roll with Lock and see if he can figure it out.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
What I fear is Lock plays well enough to not draft Stroud next year yet miss the playoffs by one game. Lol

Then again Pete and JS might take Corral if available early second. I’ve never been able to predict any of their picks correctly. Going with Gerald Cross or Stingley at 9 sounds great either way
Same here. I'm as bad at predicting their pics as I am at figuring out Pete's pre-draft "clues" to the pick.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I am starting to think that Lock could be a 7-9 win QB if we have decent defense and good running game.
I'm thinking your right. I think the betting odds are Seahawks at 6.5 I would be willing to bet the over on that. What was there 5 games last year Seattle lost by 3 points or less many of which were in OT. That trend is likely to not continue. I think Seattle will be in more game than not and will win 7-9 games and tease the fans with flashes of really good football. This team is much further along than it was in 2010 or 2011 IMO.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I'm thinking your right. I think the betting odds are Seahawks at 6.5 I would be willing to bet the over on that. What was there 5 games last year Seattle lost by 3 points or less many of which were in OT. That trend is likely to not continue. I think Seattle will be in more game than not and will win 7-9 games and tease the fans with flashes of really good football. This team is much further along than it was in 2010 or 2011 IMO.
Key questions would be:
  1. Were our wins in 2021 due to superb QB plays? My answer is HELL NO. Could Lock play worse than Geno and a checked out Russ? Possible, but he could also be serviceable with help from PeteBall.
  2. Will our defense be better than 2021? I like to think so.
I therefore predicted 7-9 wins, with that, I am opposing to signing guys like Baker.

Last edited:

JPPT1974

Reaction score
It is about winning games, having chemistry, being a locker room guy, and a team leader not to mention a team player, and throwing accurately and consistently. Just IMHO on who wins the QB job.