Drew Lock is THE GUY

samwize77

Reaction score
What I saw on that strip sack was the RB should have clipped that guy on the way out into the pattern...he had a good shot at him but just let him run by

@ about 8:45....

m0ng0

Reaction score
My thoughts are Geno is what he is at this point (old dog new tricks). Lock is at the very least still a moldable lump of clay and if the lessons take he could be pretty good at some point.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I tend to agree. We know/the coaches know what Geno can and can't do, plus at 31, he's not our QBOTF. Unless he's significantly better, I'd go with Lock as he has a higher upside and at 4 years Smith's junior, has a chance to be that QBOTF. However, I don't necessarily think he won the night. Lock was going up against lesser competition than was Geno, making it an apples vs. oranges comparison.

RiverDog

Reaction score
He looked confident, consistently made the right throw. I'm happy.

That sack fumble was bad though. It's hard to take preseason to seriously because there's a lot of screw ups but assuming it wasn't a missed blocking assignment, Lock has to anticipate the blitz and set the blocking or get the ball out. That was a complete faceplant afrer an overall great game.
Lock has been there, done that. He's started in 21 regular season games and reads like that are common to every NFL offense, so it's not like this stuff is foreign to him. Even if it was a blown assignment, he has to do a quick head check right at the snap to see if that LB is coming. Preseason or otherwise, there's no excuse for him missing that read.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I saw him live at the mock game and now this preseason game and while he may not be pulling away from Geno convincingly, he just looks better overall. The offense just feels better with him.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Hes by far the better option. Everyone getting way too worked up about one play in a preseason game...
I'm not getting worked up about it at all as I, too, want him to be the starter. I was simply pointing out his mistake, and that it was something that can't be justified by inexperience or unfamiliarity with the offense. Perhaps it's a good thing as it was only a preseason game and maybe he won't make the same mistakes in the regular season.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Getting blindsided is a mistake? Um........ok
Um...OK is right:

Pete Carroll was asked by @bcondotta if Drew Lock needed to see the unblocked rusher who caused the late sack fumble. Carroll said he needs clarification on what was called but thinks it was supposed to be a hot read. A few minutes later, Lock confirmed that the error was his.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Could have have seen it coming? Maybe. But how about actually blocking and/or chipping the rusher coming in?

Jac

Reaction score
Rob Staton is pretty convinced that Carroll is speaking as if he's starting Geno week #1, and that it's not subterfuge.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think we already knew that Lock has the bigger upside between he and Geno.

But we also saw the downside of what we already knew, that Lock is prone to bad decisions and costly mistakes.

So until that part of his game matures and he cleans up the crippling game losing mistakes? I don't think Pete will trust him, and it'll be safe Geno.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Oh, well if the mighty Rob Staton says it, we must all bow down and accept it as fact :rolleyes:
Pete will probably go with Geno because he's WAY too loyal to a guy who brings nothing to table. That's not a tough prediction to make.

Jac

Reaction score
Oh, well if the mighty Rob Staton says it, we must all bow down and accept it as fact :rolleyes:
Pete will probably go with Geno because he's WAY too loyal to a guy who brings nothing to table. That's not a tough prediction to make.

ok

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I guess. Kenny Pickett looked better than he did. And Lock has a full year on him.

At some point, you are what you are. Maybe Lock will improve. We certainly should do everything we can to help drive that improvement (one reason he should start, even though Geno would be better for us in terms of getting better draft picks). But I saw a guy making easy throws and with moderate accuracy, while making some significant mistakes.

He could turn out to be much better. But he hasn't shown it, hasn't really even flashed it.
(Weirdly, weren't Denver fans displaying this kind of optimism last year?)
Game 1 pretty much just told us what we already thought we knew.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I don't know much about play structure but shouldn't the running back have made a bit of a read on that play, chipped the free rusher and then peeled off?

sutz

Reaction score
This
I don't know much about play structure but shouldn't the running back have made a bit of a read on that play, chipped the free rusher and then peeled off?
That is why Pete said he wanted to view the tape and interview everybody to see what lines calls were made and figure out just who really missed an assignment. There are a lot of variables on every play to sort through.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Could have have seen it coming? Maybe. But how about actually blocking and/or chipping the rusher coming in?
Of course, if the RB would have recognized it, he might have prevented it by getting a chip. But that's not the point. The point is that it was a mistake on Lock's part that led directly to the sack/fumble, and he said so in the presser.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This

That is why Pete said he wanted to view the tape and interview everybody to see what lines calls were made and figure out just who really missed an assignment. There are a lot of variables on every play to sort through.

Just because someone missed their blocking assignment doesn't mean Lock also shouldn't have the pocket awareness to feel the pressure coming, or at least feel it late enough to secure the ball and just take a sack without fumbling.

This is literally textbook Drew Lock criticism 101, what people have said about what's holding him back.........makes some great throws, but lacks the awareness/ decision making necessary to really take the next step.