Drew Lock is THE GUY

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
With that said, I predict Lock will be the starter. And he will be a Pro Bowl QB this year.

Oh Good Lord.

Both Smith and Lock looked like backup QBs out there, which they are. Lock had an easy TD on that fade in the red zone and held the ball an hour to late before throwing it allowing the defender to easily break it up. Thats the level of play you are going to see this season.

The most likely scenario is that we'll see both Geno and Lock starting throughout the year with Pete trying to figure out a way to win a few games. Neither are the answer.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough, I just think it's a combo of both. He admitted he should have seen it coming, good enough for me. Better than making excuses, or sending out lame tweets because you can't face the fact that you're a career backup, paging Mr. Smith.
It's not like I'm waiving Lock pom poms, I just think they would be better off with Lock overall. And that's not saying much, Geno is just brutal. I think they are both average.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

I've never seen anyone analyze a single play from a preseason game so much in my life...

AgentDib

Reaction score
I've never seen anyone analyze a single play from a preseason game so much in my life...
It's because we all think that Lock has more upside, but what sabotaged him in Denver was the tendency towards these costly mistakes. And he was playing a pretty nice game, only to have a game losing mistake right at the end, so it would be weird if people didn't talk about it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Just because someone missed their blocking assignment doesn't mean Lock also shouldn't have the pocket awareness to feel the pressure coming, or at least feel it late enough to secure the ball and just take a sack without fumbling.

This is literally textbook Drew Lock criticism 101, what people have said about what's holding him back.........makes some great throws, but lacks the awareness/ decision making necessary to really take the next step.
EXACTLY!

If you go back and watch the replay as I have, it wasn't that much of a blind side hit as Lock was in the gun and was squared up with the LOS when he went to deliver the ball. Lock wouldn't have had to even turn his head. All it would have taken was a quick glance to his left and he would have been able to see the LB/safety coming on the blitz and either taken the sack or spin out of it. That's what Sarge is talking about, ie pocket awareness.

sutz

Reaction score
It's because we all think that Lock has more upside, but what sabotaged him in Denver was the tendency towards these costly mistakes. And he was playing a pretty nice game, only to have a game losing mistake right at the end, so it would be weird if people didn't talk about it.
You mean like Geno's first two starts last season? ;)

jlwaters1

Reaction score
The last play was a bit of a black eye. I think it was a learning experience. I think Lock needs to start against the Bears to get a true comp to GENO.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Lock did not play well. Most of his yards came off of really big YPC gains. His accuracy when he had to throw anything other than checkdowns wasn’t very good. His pocket awareness was bad, and he panicked under pressure. The sack fumble he took was a rookie mistake. You could see the extra defender square up, should’ve saw that presnap. Lock also came dangerously close to being picked.

Honestly, I thought Geno made tougher throws than Lock did overall. Both of them looked lackluster. The true MVP was that line.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I thought Lock made decisions much faster, whereas Geno had some hesitation here and there and ran himself in to a sack.

The big advantage Geno had, was the #1 Offensive Line, and specifically the much better Center. Blythe knows the offense and can make all of the calls, including the protection calls. Drew had to do much of that himself. And yes, he should have seen the extra blitzer coming, but I would like to go back and see how much time he had on the play clock. Pete is notorious for slowing things down with his interfering and that is part of the reason Russ left. All of those delay of game penalties.

Remember how much better the offense was when Schotty moved upstairs?

Smart communication is why Austin Blythe is Seahawks’ new center. Can he fix the O-line?

Last year, after quarterback Russell Wilson famously said “I’m frustrated with getting hit too much,” coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider did not upgrade the trigger spot on the offensive line that’s key to synchronized quarterback play. The Seahawks didn’t spend in what became a pricey free-agent market for centers. They didn’t draft heralded Alabama center Creed Humphrey when they could have in the second round of the 2021 draft. They brought back Pocic and Fuller for last season. Fuller had started Seattle’s 2020 season at center. Midway through the season the Seahawks benched him and put in Pocic, a former second-round pick. It didn’t help much. Pass protection, line calls and general offensive-line play continued to be what it’s been for years in Seattle: subpar.

Read more at: https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article264184726.html#storylink=cpy

keasley45

Reaction score
Lock did not play well. Most of his yards came off of really big YPC gains. His accuracy when he had to throw anything other than checkdowns wasn’t very good. His pocket awareness was bad, and he panicked under pressure. The sack fumble he took was a rookie mistake. You could see the extra defender square up, should’ve saw that presnap. Lock also came dangerously close to being picked.

Honestly, I thought Geno made tougher throws than Lock did overall. Both of them looked lackluster. The true MVP was that line.

If all I read was this post, I'd think we'd have Tim Tebow and his clone battling ot out Saturday night.

You can't punish a guy because his wr picked up yards. Especially in Seattle because for 10 years we haven't been able to run a proper screen play. Strange how with new QBs on the field, we run them regularly.

And both QBs showed the ability to hit some pretty ridiculous coverage windows. Geno had Fant on a beautiful pass toward the sideline ... on the move... but Fant couldn't get his feet down. He then threw another nice pass down the middle, between coverage ( again, not used to see that) to set up the first TD, and had a laser 3rd down conversion, dropped. Who knows what the Stat line is if we move the chains there.

Drew had a laser pass beating a double on Parkinson and he couldn't come down with it. That would have been a TD, but he ended up finishing the drive with one anyway.

The last sack Lock took was probably his fault, but I don't recall the screams for poor line calls when our last qb was playing. 10 years in and we were still getting free runners and taking 10 step drops.

The one at 7 30 or so in the 4th... there was nothing to do there. Their line won.

They didn't play great. They didn't play poorly. It was a pretty clear incomplete for a few reasons.

And be aware that this offseason , especially for Lock, isn't about seeing him push the ball up field. The coaches want to see him run through his reads and if there's a safer checkdown, to take it. Again that's something this offense hasn't had since Hass - just hitting the guy that's open. For a younger qb, with confidence problems and a tendency to force things, forcing him to condition himself to make the safe play allows him to grow into the long, more challenging routes with less pressure and be confident that he can take it when he sees it.

There will also be more of those shots to take once defenses come down to stop those short passes - again, something we haven't been able to do in a decade. So now, if the long ball is snuffed out, we have the short ball and ground game to turn to.

I think this preseason is going to be an iterative one, with specific goals in each, not just for the QB, but for Shane to get a sense for how deep his tool chest is going to be.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Based on faster decision making, I think Lock is the GUY for this year. Still hasn't shown more than being a stop gap at this point. But if he can master the fundamentals of protecting the football, taking what the defense gives, and then eventually showing his arm talent and deep ball accuracy, it would be a nice surprise. He hasn't had many reps with Lockett, DK or Goodwin yet, so the potential for big plays downfield are still there. We just haven't seen them.

Either way, seems like a nice kid who holds himself accountable for his mistakes. I'm rooting for him. Otherwise, a QB in 2023 is fine with me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Based on faster decision making, I think Lock is the GUY for this year. Still hasn't shown more than being a stop gap at this point. But if he can master the fundamentals of protecting the football, taking what the defense gives, and then eventually showing his arm talent and deep ball accuracy, it would be a nice surprise. He hasn't had many reps with Lockett, DK or Goodwin yet, so the potential for big plays downfield are still there. We just haven't seen them.

Either way, seems like a nice kid who holds himself accountable for his mistakes. I'm rooting for him. Otherwise, a QB in 2023 is fine with me.

While I agree, I don't think Pete does. If he did Lock would already be getting first team reps in practice and starting preseason games.

Pete knows he has a very young defense and O-line, so he wants a game manager at QB that doesn't make mistakes to try and grind out as many wins as he can.

He knows this defense isn't good enough to make up for 2-3 game crippling mistakes a game by a QB like Lock.

Does that mean we won't see Lock? Nope. We'll probably see him around week 6 or 7 when the team's 2-5 and it's clearly evident Geno's Geno.

CPHawk

Reaction score
After watching the first game, I still stand by my assessment. We need to trade with Baltimore for Huntley. Heck even brown, who might just be another QB held back by Mario, looked as good as our two guys.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, been reading and listening to comments on the radio, etc and I think I want to see Lock go first Thursday night. He needs to get a chance to work with the ones for this to be fair. We almost need to make the decision before game 3 of pre-season.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Last play was on the lineman not Lock.

RB should have picked up Robinson. Not to mention, one lineman falling down while the other lineman picks up wrong guy.