Draft nothing but pass rushers and linebackers

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
They could use an upgrade on the edge. Taylor may have got 9.5 sacks, but of the players getting regular snaps, he was one of the weakest links on the defense. At this point, I think his best role is as a pass rusher on obvious passing downs. Hopefully, Mafe continues to improve and we get Tyreke Smith back.
I'd argue that his 9.5 sacks were greatly inflated too. He went most of the season being a non-factor in the pass rush. Many of his sacks came against depleted offensive lines. He was also a huge liability against the run. He lost his job quickly and got moved to situational pass rusher. Even there he was fairly limited, and as a starter he was god awful as both a pass rusher and run defender.

Fade

Reaction score
MLB has more talented defensive line in front of him than he has in years and performs better. Film at eleven.
What talent? Aaron Donald was injured most of the year, A'Shawn got hurt as well. They lost Michael Brockers and Von Miller in Free Agency.

A murderers row of Jonah Williams, Greg Gaines, Michael Hoecht, and Leonard Floyd is what it took to take Bobby to the next level, recording the most sacks ever in his career, and to have the most INTs since 2017? Gimme a break.

The Rams are better coached and put him in a better position to succeed, pure and simple. The Rams almost beat the Seahawks in both games with a mash unit around him. While playing bums at QB.

BASF

Reaction score
What talent? Aaron Donald was injured most of the year, A'Shawn got hurt as well. They lost Michael Brockers and Von Miller in Free Agency.

A murderers row of Jonah Williams, Greg Gaines, Michael Hoecht, and Leonard Floyd is what it took to take Bobby to the next level, recording the most sacks ever in his career, and to have the most INTs since 2017? Gimme a break.

The Rams are better coached and put him in a better position to succeed, pure and simple. The Rams almost beat the Seahawks in both games with a mash unit around him. While playing bums at QB.
That is still more talent than we have.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The talent on the front-7 is underwhelming for sure, but we also haven't had the same draft capital that teams like the 9ers have had (to acquire players like Bosa).

The knock on Hurrt however is that the guy is supposed to be a D-line coach. Players like Poona was miscast all year long. He's uphill guy, NOT a lateral movement guy in this "two-gap" scheme.

Does Hurtt and other assistant coaches not self-scout?

Usually a Pete Carroll defense IMPROVES as the season goes on. This past season, they were consistently BAD.

Now he wants to run it back with the same assistants... so the rope is short.

He didn't act quickly enough on KNJ and history appears to be repeating itself. We will see.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
So let me get this straight, we won 1 super bowl with the LOB, we lost the second because of our QB and you guys want to do it again? I guess learning from mistakes isn't a thing.

Cross and Lucas elevated Geno to elite status this season, just think, what could a real elite QB do?

Fade

Reaction score
The talent on the front-7 is underwhelming for sure, but we also haven't had the same draft capital that teams like the 9ers have had (to acquire players like Bosa).

The knock on Hurrt however is that the guy is supposed to be a D-line coach. Players like Poona was miscast all year long. He's uphill guy, NOT a lateral movement guy in this "two-gap" scheme.

Does Hurtt and other assistant coaches not self-scout?

Usually a Pete Carroll defense IMPROVES as the season goes on. This past season, they were consistently BAD.

Now he wants to run it back with the same assistants... so the rope is short.

He didn't act quickly enough on KNJ and history appears to be repeating itself. We will see.
Huh? The Seahawks have spent more draft capital on the defense than the 49ers over the last 5 years on defense.

The Seahawks are hemorrhaging capital in fact.
https://www.seahawks.net/threads/the-hawks-d-vs-the-top-8-d-asset-expenditure.184749/

They are poorly constructed, coached, and schemed on defense. (Save for Pete being a DB whisperer, he is still definitely good at that.)

Hurtt could very well be the Tom Cable of the defense. But then again that is also Pete's fault for keeping him around all these years as he destroyed the unit.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Top tier talent matters though if you want game wreckers that make everyone better around them. Not just missing on second and third round picks. When was the last time we picked top 15? Earl and Okung draft?

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Huh? The Seahawks have spent more draft capital on the defense than the 49ers over the last 5 years on defense.

https://www.seahawks.net/threads/the-hawks-d-vs-the-top-8-d-asset-expenditure.184749/

They are poorly constructed, coached, and schemed on defense. (Save for Pete being a DB whisperer, he is still definitely good at that.)

Hurtt could very well be the Tom Cable of the defense. But then again that is also Pete's fault for keeping him around all these years as he destroyed the unit.
Why are you giving late first-round picks equal value to early first-round picks? Why are you totaling picks rather than accounting for draft slot value? It is not about the number of picks; the slot within the draft of those picks matters.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So let me get this straight, we won 1 super bowl with the LOB, we lost the second because of our QB and you guys want to do it again? I guess learning from mistakes isn't a thing.

Cross and Lucas elevated Geno to elite status this season, just think, what could a real elite QB do?
I think you meant to say the DEFENSE, yes, the LOB....gave up a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter. Funny how you are still holding on to igoring the legit blame that goes all around. INCLUDING the Defense. But yeah, they somehow are above blame, all these years later.
And no, Geno is NOT "Elite"
Just stop

morgulon1

Reaction score
No, not really. Shelby Harris, Nwosu, Al woods, and Poona is a better group collectively.
You know something? I've never once see Fade agree with anyone on .net

EVER. 😂

Please don't get me wrong, I think he brings some interesting points to discussion, yet if you say something..
Anything ...it will be refuted by a man
Named ... The notorious...The Fade

BASF

Reaction score

So you are just going to ignore the fact that the passing offense was not the problem last season scoring as pointed out in my question to you?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Can you name me more than a couple defensive players who'd you consider above average at their respective positions?

Because other than Woolen, I honestly can't make a case for any other defensive starter. Maybe Diggs? But he's not widely considered one of the best free safeties anymore.

So yeah, bring in the ghost of Vince Lombardi to coach the defense, he ain't making a top 5 defense out of these scrubs. Front seven is bottom 2-3 in all of football.
Sometimes I almost forget Jamal Adams. He hasn’t played more than 12 games in any year since 2019. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but if he can make a good comeback in 2023, it would really help this defense.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score

The draft capital hasn’t been the same. Baalke stacked that team and set them up for years of success. Lynch took the job in SF with some of the best draft capital along with over a hundred mil in cap. They’ve had 4, count ‘em 4 first round busts yet hit on Bosa early and Kittle, Warner and Deebo in later rounds. Imagine how good the 49ers would be if they didn’t draft Solomon Thomas, McGlinchey, Reuben Foster, Hurd, Pettis and Ice Trey Lance. Talk about poorly spent draft capital

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sometimes I almost forget Jamal Adams. He hasn’t played more than 12 games in any year since 2019. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but if he can make a good comeback in 2023, it would really help this defense.

There's no health precedent for any hard hitting safety that's ever come back from two torn labrums, foot/hand problems and now a completely torn quad that's come back and even slightly resembled his former self.

Dude's broken, so don't get your hopes up. We'll get all the amazing Jamal's back! reports like we did last summer.............then as soon as the hitting starts, he'll get hurt again.

Adam's is a cautionary tale. Hard hitting safeties are to be drafted, used up and discarded after 4-5 years before they break, not to be traded for and given monster extensions.

GGotskill

Reaction score
Adams is the comeback player of the year next season, mark my words.