Do you REALLY want him gone?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Aros":j81rzghz said:
I approve this message. ^

So do I. The upcoming year would be the worst in a long time to try to replace a high quality QB, especially for the Seahawks. Jets made out like bandits on the Adams deal. We're now in a big hole as a result. Losing Russ would just make that hole deeper. Building a high quality O Line would be much easier than replacing a player of Russ's ability. I'm not much for all the religious stuff, but it sells. so there's that.

hoxrox

Reaction score
This is a classic case of thinking with your heart, and not with your head.

I own a #3 jersey, a signed photograph, and a Russell Wilson bobblehead. I am a Russell Wilson fan. He’s done a lot of great things in Seattle. However, I put the Seahawks team above all else.

The reality is Russell is a high-floor, low-ceiling quarterback who is now in decline. He will get you regular season wins against average opponents, but against playoff level competition, he will struggle. His boom-or-bust style makes for great highlights, but at end of the day, it is not sustainable throughout the course of a season, and especially not in the playoffs. We’ve seen it time and time again.

So for the team’s sake, you extract maximum value while you can. One step back to take two steps forward. Sure the team may not acquire the next Justin Herbert or Mac Jones right away, but young, cheap, quality QBs, who can matriculate the ball down the field, without the need for heroics, do exist.

The alternative is we run it back, we get the same results, and Russ leaves in FA anyway. Then what? Our chances for building a true contender 3-5 years down the road are worse off.

If Russ is willing to take a pay cut, so we can bolster the roster, I’d be fine with trying to make it work. Otherwise, it’s a bad ROI from the team’s perspective.

themunn

Reaction score
This isn’t 10 years ago. Teams actually have to have good, if not great, QBs to make it these days. Finding a quality QB isn’t something that happens for a team every day. Ask the Bears.
This simply isn't true, though. It's one of those things people assume is true and trot out in arguments like these, but in the past 10 years, Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl and went on to do what, exactly after? The Broncos won a Super Bowl with the 2015 version of Peyton Manning who was worse than a number of backup QBs sitting on benches that year. Nick Foles won a Super Bowl as well and he IS a backup. Jared Goff went as well and he was so great that the Rams let him go without even talking to him about it. You think Seahawks would be interested in paying Jimmy Garoppolo what we pay Russ? He's been to a Super Bowl in the last 10 years too.

Teams still can go to and win Super Bowls with average to well below average QBs and they probably always will be able to.

The 2010s Ravens, Eagles and Broncos aren't exactly the teams that the rest of the league is trying to emulate, with a grand total of 3 playoff wins between all three teams since their respective superbowl wins (2 for Ravens - who got there before we won ours, 1 for Eagles, and The Broncos have yet to play a single playoff game since theirs).

The Hawks at the very least returned to the big game the year after, and since then have the same 3 wins that those 3 teams combined - the importance of a franchise QB to that cannot be underestimated

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Hoxrox,

You called Wilson a 'high-floor low ceiling' QB.

You don't consider Pete a high-floor low ceiling head coach though?
(Admittedly, as Pete ages the floor and ceiling both are lowering)

It certainly seems like it would be easier to win with an aging but still effective QB vs trying to win by getting lucky again finding an effective QB while at the same time trotting out an aging and increasingly ineffective HC.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3kaa6k2t said:
Not sure how anyone who comes here on a regular basis, or interacts on social media can come to the conclusion that fans "hate" or feel "discomfort" towards Russell.

Overrated
Over valued
Over paid
Doesn't work well with Pete
Maybe past his prime
Not elite enough anymore to compensate for the lack of talent around him

These are the words you should use if you're describing Hawk fans who may think it's time for Russ to move on.

Personally I'm squarely in the last phrase I typed Hawk fan demographic. There is so little young talent on this roster right now, with no picks and the wrong person to make those picks in Pete for me to be confident that keeping Russell will result in anything more than at BEST a couple 9-8 seasons before he finally leaves.

If you feel different, please enlighten me on how this roster is going to be overhauled with no picks and the same two dudes who have done a terrible job of acquiring young talent still in charge.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Seattle does have picks they have 7 to be exact. 2,3,4,4,5,6,7. Not only do they have 7 picks but for the first time in 10 years they have these picks in the top ten in the draft order.

They have a chance to have a really solid draft.

I do think this team has some good young players DK, Brooks, Taylor, Neil, Robinson, Lewis, Brown, Forsythe, Eskridge.

I don't want to see Russ go... It might happen though, might not.

This team isn't as bad as what people say it is... IMO the injury to Wilson affected this team more than people are willing to admit...

I think fans are spoiled in they are used to winning so much that when the pendulum swings around to a bad season they can't handle it. This board is particularly reactionary. In the NFL teams can't be totally dominate all the time... There is great parity in this league like never before... I see a bad season as opportunity to draft some good young players... It's not a bad thing that the hawks have a losing season every once in a while...

LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The interwebz says we have six picks.

Let me ask you a questions, how many young player cornerstone pieces do you think we have to rebuild, add onto, whatever words you want to use to what needs to happen the next off season.

Cause I count four.

DK
Brooks
Lewis
Taylor

Maybe throw Brown in there? But he only played a couple games, so no way you can be confident in adding him to this list.

I don't have the other 31 team rosters in front of me, but that has to be the lowest number in the entire NFL. The rest of your roster is full of aging vets, or players that are either gone or you're going to have to spend serious cap to resign (Diggs, Wagner, Brown, etc.) Even that list is small.

So no, I'm not overreacting to how bleak our roster is. Pete and John have done a terrible job of restocking the roster to give anyone hope, including Russell that this team is ANYWHERE near competing for another SB anytime soon.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":t6ffr2to said:

Let me ask you a questions, how many young player cornerstone pieces do you think we have to rebuild, add onto, whatever words you want to use to what needs to happen the next off season.

Cause I count four.

DK
Brooks
Lewis
Taylor

Maybe throw Brown in there? But he only played a couple games, so no way you can be confident in adding him to this list.

I don't have the other 31 team rosters in front of me, but that has to be the lowest number in the entire NFL. The rest of your roster is full of aging vets, or players that are either gone or you're going to have to spend serious cap to resign (Diggs, Wagner, Brown, etc.) Even that list is small.

So no, I'm not overreacting to how bleak our roster is. Pete and John have done a terrible job of restocking the roster to give anyone hope, including Russell that this team is ANYWHERE near competing for another SB anytime soon.
I think I'd add Curhan and Lewis to that list as young keepers. And Diggs is not that old. At 28 he should have several more productive years in him. Maybe Dissly as well as he seems to be staying healthy this year.

toffee

Reaction score
LTH":1azv4wqv said:
Sgt. Largent":1azv4wqv said:
Not sure how anyone who comes here on a regular basis, or interacts on social media can come to the conclusion that fans "hate" or feel "discomfort" towards Russell.

Overrated
Over valued
Over paid
Doesn't work well with Pete
Maybe past his prime
Not elite enough anymore to compensate for the lack of talent around him

These are the words you should use if you're describing Hawk fans who may think it's time for Russ to move on.

Personally I'm squarely in the last phrase I typed Hawk fan demographic. There is so little young talent on this roster right now, with no picks and the wrong person to make those picks in Pete for me to be confident that keeping Russell will result in anything more than at BEST a couple 9-8 seasons before he finally leaves.

If you feel different, please enlighten me on how this roster is going to be overhauled with no picks and the same two dudes who have done a terrible job of acquiring young talent still in charge.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Seattle does have picks they have 7 to be exact. 2,3,4,4,5,6,7. Not only do they have 7 picks but for the first time in 10 years they have these picks in the top ten in the draft order.

They have a chance to have a really solid draft.

I do think this team has some good young players DK, Brooks, Taylor, Neil, Robinson, Lewis, Brown, Forsythe, Eskridge.

I don't want to see Russ go... It might happen though, might not.

This team isn't as bad as what people say it is... IMO the injury to Wilson affected this team more than people are willing to admit...

I think fans are spoiled in they are used to winning so much that when the pendulum swings around to a bad season they can't handle it. This board is particularly reactionary. In the NFL teams can't be totally dominate all the time... There is great parity in this league like never before... I see a bad season as opportunity to draft some good young players... It's not a bad thing that the hawks have a losing season every once in a while...

LTH

If Wilson didn't injure his finger, heck, or the football God just smiled at us a bit more, we are in the playoff this year, status quote makes sense in that sense. We could be that fringe contender that we have been since 2015, don't be surprised Jody picks this route, since she already committed to paying Pete and John, those are not tradeable. This is less risky than forcing a complete change but couldn't develop result. She may luck into finding a Bill Belichick as Pete's replacement, or she could end up with the second coming of Rich Kotite. There are more Kotites out there than Belichick. Two more years of Russ and Pete is safer for Jody.

The problem with this route? Russ is aging, his mobility could only further deteriorate, unless he could change his games to compensate, the team will suffer. The longer that we hand on to Russ, the less we shall get in return. He could get 4 firsts last off season, probably less this off season, could be even less in two years when he finishes his contract.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":1ff1r7b7 said:
Sgt. Largent":1ff1r7b7 said:

Cause I count four.

DK
Brooks
Lewis
Taylor

I think I'd add Curhan and Lewis to that list as young keepers. And Diggs is not that old. At 28 he should have several more productive years in him. Maybe Dissly as well as he seems to be staying healthy this year.

1. Lewis is on my list.
2. Diggs is a free agent, so he doesn't count. You might not even get him back.
3. You're dramatically reaching on Curhan and Dissly. No other GM would put them on any list full of difference makers under cheap rookie deals.

You made my point for me, even the most optimistic fans have to reach down into players who are barely starters, or 2nd stringers like Dissly to find anything to grasp onto as to how this team is going to compete next year.

Russell knows this. So get ready for it, the next two months of agent leaked I love Seattle but would like to be traded somewhere ready to compete Tweets and press releases.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
My issue with Wilson is he barely takes what the defense gives him and throws quick short timely passes.

He holds onto the ball too long.

Continuously plays for the “big play” only rather than take the smart completion throw.

And then there the issue of if you keep him will his game transcend OR have you seen everything Wilson can do.

He is not a pure pocket passer and his mobility has decreased so, if Russ is a great scrambling QB, is what he does best, now what he did best and he cannot do that anymore?

He will command a huge contract again.

Would you pay a guy with a limited skill set now?

They would continuously need to build a scrambling offense and Russ’ speed and mobility is not what it once was.

keasley45

Reaction score
hoxrox":32qeh72q said:
This is a classic case of thinking with your heart, and not with your head.

I own a #3 jersey, a signed photograph, and a Russell Wilson bobblehead. I am a Russell Wilson fan. He’s done a lot of great things in Seattle. However, I put the Seahawks team above all else.

The reality is Russell is a high-floor, low-ceiling quarterback who is now in decline. He will get you regular season wins against average opponents, but against playoff level competition, he will struggle. His boom-or-bust style makes for great highlights, but at end of the day, it is not sustainable throughout the course of a season, and especially not in the playoffs. We’ve seen it time and time again.

So for the team’s sake, you extract maximum value while you can. One step back to take two steps forward. Sure the team may not acquire the next Justin Herbert or Mac Jones right away, but young, cheap, quality QBs, who can matriculate the ball down the field, without the need for heroics, do exist.

The alternative is we run it back, we get the same results, and Russ leaves in FA anyway. Then what? Our chances for building a true contender 3-5 years down the road are worse off.

If Russ is willing to take a pay cut, so we can bolster the roster, I’d be fine with trying to make it work. Otherwise, it’s a bad ROI from the team’s perspective.

This. All of this.

Being ok with Russ moving on has zero to do with personal feelings towards the guy, hate, or whatever. Nor does being critical of what he puts on tape every week.

For many, it's as simple as not seeing Russ taking us to another championship unless he has a top 5 running game and top 10 D to carry HIM along with it. And by his own admission, he feels like the better strategy is flinging the ball around the yard, come he'll or high water... or the chance for boring game winning field goals.

So unless he wants to get on board and take a paycut commensurate with his job description, we have what you call an impass.

Makes all the business sense in the world to let him go now, if that's what he wants, and use the return to patch weak spots on your roster.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We have a decent amount of potential on our roster and I would say a good amount of talent given the lack of draft capital over the years. If the front office didn't keep shooting themselves in the foot with big trades this could be a talented team. What we don't see is what the roster would look like with all the youth they traded in exchange for big name players over the years.

If you look at our defense yesterday based on snap counts our personnel had a ridiculously low price tag. Our entire defense including all of the depth had a lower total cap hit than RW did on his own. It's great if you can get big value out of a cheap rookie superstar, but if you're getting positive value out of a whole slew of cheap players that's also a good way to build a strong team.

Our defense yesterday sorted by snap count
Jordyn Brooks - 2.7m
Ryan Neal - 920k
DJ Reed - 920k
Quandre Diggs - 3.6m
Cody Barton -1.0m
Ugo Amadi - 1.0m
Rasheem Green - 1.1m
John Reid - 780k
Darrell Taylor - 1.5m
Poona Ford - 2.6m
Al Woods - 2.4m
Kerry Hyder - 2.0m
Michael Jackson - 200k
Benson Mayowa - 3.8m
LJ Collier - 2.9m
Bryan Mone - 850k
Alton Robinson - 860k
Carlos Dunlap - 2.9m

justafan

Reaction score
AgentDib":3afwbrar said:
We have a decent amount of potential on our roster and I would say a good amount of talent given the lack of draft capital over the years. If the front office didn't keep shooting themselves in the foot with big trades this could be a talented team. What we don't see is what the roster would look like with all the youth they traded in exchange for big name players over the years.

If you look at our defense yesterday based on snap counts our personnel had a ridiculously low price tag. Our entire defense including all of the depth had a lower total cap hit than RW did on his own. It's great if you can get big value out of a cheap rookie superstar, but if you're getting positive value out of a whole slew of cheap players that's also a good way to build a strong team.

Our defense yesterday sorted by snap count
Jordyn Brooks - 2.7m
Ryan Neal - 920k
DJ Reed - 920k
Quandre Diggs - 3.6m
Cody Barton -1.0m
Ugo Amadi - 1.0m
Rasheem Green - 1.1m
John Reid - 780k
Darrell Taylor - 1.5m
Poona Ford - 2.6m
Al Woods - 2.4m
Kerry Hyder - 2.0m
Michael Jackson - 200k
Benson Mayowa - 3.8m
LJ Collier - 2.9m
Bryan Mone - 850k
Alton Robinson - 860k
Carlos Dunlap - 2.9m

Im trying to stay optimistic. We are going to see what those kids can do next year, we need them to step up. I think the best hope is to give them some help and find some pass rush on the FA market and help create some TO opportunities and big plays.

I was feeling better until I realised that Malik Mcdowell has as many sacks as Mone,Hyder and Ford combined.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hezdil4 said:
please enlighten me on how this roster is going to be overhauled with no picks and the same two dudes who have done a terrible job of acquiring young talent still in charge.

This. I laugh at the people who say to give Pete a chance to fix things when he's been the one screwing them up for years now. It doesnt matter how much of a pay cut Wilson takes, or how many picks the Hawks have,,,,they are too incompetent to take advantage of it. People just cant see the true root cause of the problems for some reason.

chris98251

Reaction score
keasley45":2anijn9p said:
chris98251":2anijn9p said:
olyfan63":2anijn9p said:
James in PA":2anijn9p said:
If Russ can get it through his head that he cannot be the focal point of our offense in order for the Hawks to get back to another SB and therefore agrees to a pay cut, I'm all for keeping him around. But I don't think that will happen. Greed, hero ball and unnecessary sacks will prevail.

I'm on that page too, we went to SBs with a younger, faster, cheaper Russell along with an elite defense and a punishing run game. Russell isn't getting younger or faster, so cheaper is all that's left. He could get better at reading cover 2 defenses and getting the ball out faster, i.e., on time. Joe Burrow is already doing this stuff in his 2nd year in the league for Cincy, stuff that Russell hasn't shown us in 10 years. That's what Russell would need to do to be worth the money and get the Hawks back to the promised land. Can Russell upgrade his game that way? I'd rather bet on Pete making improvements. Now if BOTH Pete and Russell improved themselves, that would be an amazing result.

It was the LIONS and the Hawks brought a punishing run game that Detroit had to defend. Made Russell's job easier. Having the D get 3 picks to give the O short fields sure didn't hurt either. Also not sure how many D players Lions were missing due to covid, possibly a factor. Damned if Penny didn't *perform* like Lynch today, different styles, but tremendous impact on the game.

I did really like the Cover-0 blitz TD between Russell and DK, that was fantastic. Props to those 2 and Waldron for having that ready and executing.

Also loved the Lockett jet-sweep TD *pass*, fantastic to see. Kudos to Waldron for this play design. I didn't realize it was actually a *forward pass* until the announcers mentioned it was a TD pass to Lockett. Great design; a muffed exchange becomes simply an incomplete pass.

What we saw today was classic Pete-ball. Defense making plays, getting turnovers, offense running the ball and forcing defense to adjust, and Russell making good throws to open receivers against a defense stacked to stop the run, and Russell taking care of the ball. Turnover margin +3 unless I mis-counted.

Pete-ball at it's finest, *except* somehow the offense was green-lit to score the entire game. Maybe Waldron's influence, finally?

I tend to think this is reaction to the pressure and letting Wilson and the offense be what Waldron designed it to be, the defense went bend don't break while allowing the offense to score.

Are you saying performances like today have been disallowed previously?

If so, that's a bit ludicrous. Why we can't do this week in and week out isn't a mystery.

We were playing the 2nd worst team in the league who was starting their backup qb, which effectively makes them the worst.

Our offense was run based and we committed to it where in games earlier this season, we abandoned the run when it was working so that we could pass ourselves into a futile 2 to 1 pass to run ratio and literally throw games away. That's neither peteball nor Waldronball.

The lions team is not great on defense.

We saw what happened last time we went gaga over a blowout easy win against another weak opponent in Houston, just to show our warts again against a team that could box up our run game just enough and take away what Russ likes to do, leaving him with what he's less capable at.

Russ has raged against being held within the script of a complimentary, run based offense. If he was happy playing team qb, and not chef in the let russ cook, kitchen, that would be one thing. But then you're still faced with the spectre of having a winning enough season, maybe first place in the division, andthem, with teams knowing now hownto stop Russ in ways they didnt during our superbowl years, boxing us up and tossing us out in the first or second round of the playoffs again. There has yet to be a string of games or even one solid game where Russ has shown he can just run a good defense out of their typical kill strategy against us with his arm and ability to consistently distribute the ball and move the chains.

If there were performances like this against quality defenses, whistle to whistle, then the idea of moving on would be more difficult to embrace.

Yes I am saying some stuff has been disallowed, passes over the middle, for one, I also think Waldron was able to get in Wilsons ear this game and had it going his way along with a great O line play that let Penny get off. Several times over the years Pete has clamped down on the offense, players being overheard asking if they can score or if they are going to be allowed to score.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
GemCity":8euc138r said:
Sorry for the quote…I know this gets hard to read. Besides Flacco and Foles (who happened to play better than he ever had..or will), I absolutely believe you need a top tier QB to win it all. Mediocrity won’t cut it in todays game.

Also, I’m not confident that we could flip those picks to an elite, maybe All-Pro, unlikely HOF player or two. To me, John and Pete’s “magic” has always been in the late rounds sans ET.
I guess you could advocate dumping those picks for multiple late rounders but that would have to be a helluva draft class. I also think that if you go that route, you are absolutely looking at a complete and total rebuild. Trade Tyler, Wagner, Diggs, let the 1-2 year projects walk and plan on trading DK. The only way DK stays in that scenario is if you pay him top dollar. If you rebuild, you try to keep young talent. But, I don’t think for a minute DK would sit around for that..

On paper, this is a good team. IMO, this season is more a reflection on the inability to adapt and support the seemingly desired protocol. Which to be honest, I prefer/like. Enough code-talk…draft or trade for the best damn offensive linemen you can.

I’ve always believed that defense wins games. But, you’ve got to admit that the tides have changed a bit. The rules (penalties) heavily favor the offense.

Don’t get me wrong, you need a good/great defense as well. I guess I’m just anxious to see what Russ and a decent to good RB could do behind a great line. Maybe that’s Penny (if not injured). I could see multiple 1200+ yard receivers (DK and Tyler) and Penny running for the same (if not more).

Maybe I have too much faith in our players…,
It's kind of limiting to ONLY include the winning Super Bowl QB because the pool of info we have to draw from. If a team can GET to the Super Bowl with a particular QB, then they are also likely capable of winning that Super Bowl. Frankly, the pool of candidates should be expanded to include AFC/NFC Championship games as well (for the same reason), but even by saying we'll only count the winning SB QB, you ignored Peyton Manning in 2015 who wasn't even average or mediocre--he was legit bad.

So, 30% of Super Bowl winning QBs were either career mediocrities who had great seasons or a beyond washed-up HOFer who probably could have been replaced by half of the backups in the league and gotten better production? (Obviously, this ignores whatever impact Manning had as a locker room leader that a backup QB without his resume wouldn't provide, but this is about on field play). Something happening 1 out of 3ish times isn't exactly rare.

Again, I'm not saying I want or that I for sure think it's best for Russ to go, but the idea that our team is doomed without him is ridiculous.

themunn":8euc138r said:
The 2010s Ravens, Eagles and Broncos aren't exactly the teams that the rest of the league is trying to emulate, with a grand total of 3 playoff wins between all three teams since their respective superbowl wins (2 for Ravens - who got there before we won ours, 1 for Eagles, and The Broncos have yet to play a single playoff game since theirs).

The Hawks at the very least returned to the big game the year after, and since then have the same 3 wins that those 3 teams combined - the importance of a franchise QB to that cannot be underestimated
Yeah, but the Seahawks still had the same running game and all-time great defense the year they returned to the Super Bowl.

I mean, what is the goal here? Is it to create a team that's going to be in a NFC Conference Championship game or is to create one that might eke out a wild-card win sometime before Russ's contract expires and we lose him to free agency anyway?

I'm not saying having a franchise QB isn't great, but as someone earlier pointed out we put a defense on the field yesterday (obviously minus Adams and Wagner) who's cap hit in TOTAL was lower than Russ's. And our defense has been better than our offense this year. (Yet, for some reason, the only person everyone wants to dump is our defensive coordinator who produced one of the top scoring D's with personnel that had to be paid with money that was dragged out of couch cushions. I'm not saying that we should or shouldn't get rid of Norton, I just find that one of the interesting themes on this board.)

So as many have said, having a franchise QB is great, but there is still a cost to a contract like Russ's and for many of those who are on the fence about (or flat out don't want) Russ staying, the issue comes down to ROI.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":13vf9p1a said:
Sgt. Largent":13vf9p1a said:
please enlighten me on how this roster is going to be overhauled with no picks and the same two dudes who have done a terrible job of acquiring young talent still in charge.

This. I laugh at the people who say to give Pete a chance to fix things when he's been the one screwing them up for years now. It doesnt matter how much of a pay cut Wilson takes, or how many picks the Hawks have,,,,they are too incompetent to take advantage of it. People just cant see the true root cause of the problems for some reason.

Yep.

As much as my sentimental side wants to give Pete and John more time, there's no arguing with their roster building deficiencies the past 7-8 years. Drafting, Adam's trade, inability to sign high impact free agents. 80% of it bad.

Now will Allen and the Hawk's brass remove sentiment from this equation when deciding on what to do with Pete and/or John?

I have no idea. I'd like to think so considering their business people first wanting the best for their organization and fan base. But I have serious reservations.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It makes complete sense for Wilson not to want to stay here. To even try to force his way out. Completely get it.

(Then it again, it made sense for him to leave when his last contract expired too...so who knows?)

And it makes sense to make the case that with Wilson getting older, he can no longer overcome the issues that Pete as a coach/FO creates. So the upside might be gone. Acknowledged.

But why would you 'want' him gone?

Understand why WILSON would want out, but what possible stance is there to take that making our roster weaker is somehow a great next step?

(Example, the Saints were a playoff team and one of the best teams in the league. Now they are scratching to get in. With one of the best offensive minds in the game, some of the biggest weapons, an exceptional offensive line, and a very good defense. Why? Because they have no effing QB....we have a roster+staff that is probably 1/2 as good as the Saints. And we want to jump in those waters?

Denver is another textbook example of a team that has a lot of pieces but no QB)

It is odd we are just running for the exits so that we can take our rightful place as the perennial 3rd, or likely 4th place regular in the NFC West. Likely not seeing the playoffs for another 3-5 years after Wilson leaves.

Why would we want to hasten that fate?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":m7ecaola said:
It makes complete sense for Wilson not to want to stay here. To even try to force his way out. Completely get it.

(Then it again, it made sense for him to leave when his last contract expired too...so who knows?)

And it makes sense to make the case that with Wilson getting older, he can no longer overcome the issues that Pete as a coach/FO creates. So the upside might be gone. Acknowledged.

But why would you 'want' him gone?

Understand why WILSON would want out, but what possible stance is there to take that making our roster weaker is somehow a great next step?

(Example, the Saints were a playoff team and one of the best teams in the league. Now they are scratching to get in. With one of the best offensive minds in the game, some of the biggest weapons, an exceptional offensive line, and a very good defense. Why? Because they have no effing QB....we have a roster+staff that is probably 1/2 as good as the Saints. And we want to jump in those waters?

Denver is another textbook example of a team that has a lot of pieces but no QB)

It is odd we are just running for the exits so that we can take our rightful place as the perennial 3rd, or likely 4th place regular in the NFC West. Likely not seeing the playoffs for another 3-5 years after Wilson leaves.

Why would we want to hasten that fate?

Your two examples don't work for me.

Both Denver and the Saints have done a great job of building their rosters, except for the QB position (for different reasons).

Our problem is the opposite, ALL we have is the QB, the rest of the roster is hot garbage.

I'll ask you, what's the difference? Neither of the three teams is making the playoffs.

IMO there's only one way this team gets back to the playoffs and competing for NFC Championships and SB's, and it's not with the Pete and Russell show.

So I don't want Russell gone, I just have ZERO faith that if he and Pete remain together we're going to see more years like this, not less.

If Pete's gone? Sure, I'm down for a couple more years of seeing if a new coaching staff can figure out how to win with Russ. But if not? Then yeah, I really want him gone.....and I betcha Russell agrees with me.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1478150517331161089[/tweet]