Derrick Henry to the 'Hawks (speculation/Jerhawk's head)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Normally, I'd be against this, but Henry is a freak of nature who seems to be the exception to every rule. I think he has at least three more years at a high level, which is worth the draft capital being discussed. He's on a level above every back in the league.
This is the correct answer. Henry is rare.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Pete and John would be a league laughingstock to take their 3m cap space and restructure guys just to bring in and extend a 30 year old running back.

This is a move desperate clueless organizations make. Like Arizona or Cleveland.

Mizak

Reaction score
Draft a rookie RB, who is he gonna get advice from? DJ freaking Dallas? Your #1 and #2 RBs are second year in the league and a rook. You need a veteran rb presence there. Hence, where Henry comes in.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
What a catastrophe. Good thing these decisions are made by experts and not board warriors and madden players.
the catastrophe lies in the irony of that statement; shitting on someone and acting like a "board warrior" yourself for *gasps* making a case for adding a top 3 RB in the league. r-e-l-a-x

will PC/JS go after derrick henry? maybe, maybe not. is it possible to trade for? yes. would henry be a huge boost for the seahawks? yes. is henry worth a 2nd rounder? yes and no- yes for some teams, no for others, because it's subjective.

you guys are arguing for honestly no reason. shake hands already

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Draft a rookie RB, who is he gonna get advice from? DJ freaking Dallas? Your #1 and #2 RBs are second year in the league and a rook. You need a veteran rb presence there. Hence, where Henry comes in.

he'll probably get RB advice from the RB coaches. Just a theory. Walker seemed to do ok. I'm not sure the RB spot is one where a lot of mentorship is needed.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I absolutely would love it. For the right price. They don't have the cap to be adding a big $ RB. This team has other holes to fill too. They can find a solid vet RB to help with the load. IF they could afford Henry, god yes, of course I would be stoked to have him on the team. It's not going to happen, they don't have the cap space to afford the guy. They still need another LB, a legit Guard etc.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
You don’t like the idea of Seahawks having 2 RBs rushing for over 1000 yards in a single season? Cuz, that is a great idea.

No, I don't like the idea of the Seahawks using their remaining meager cap space, spending a draft pick, and kicking the salary down the road on a 30 year old running back.

Sounds like an awful idea.

Mizak

Reaction score
No, I don't like the idea of the Seahawks using their remaining meager cap space, spending a draft pick, and kicking the salary down the road on a 30 year old running back.

Sounds like an awful idea.
Sounds like you’re being cheap.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Sounds like you’re being cheap.

I just don't think you guys actually understand how things like restructures and cap hits work. It's the only explanation for why you want to give up so much for a 30 year old running back.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Awesome discussion guys. I wasn't expecting my smart*** post to generate anything, but I appear to have been wrong. This is great discourse.

As I was alluding to in my original post, I'm not a fan of Henry coming here just based on his cap hit and where the team is currently at, but I appreciate Malmstrom and others for making this a lively debate.

It's just his cap hit that's a turnoff for me. The Titans seem to be past their window of competing which is why I assumed we could get him if they're selling.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Dont you wanna restructure and extend a 30 year old running back and kick the can down the road a few years, though!?!? I for one would love to still be paying Henry when 2030 rolls around. CHAMPIONSHIP.

If he gets released someone's gonna overpay him, so I don't want it to be us.

bad fit. We have our bell cow back, Henry's not going to be OK with being 2nd or 3rd string only getting 2-2 series a game. GUARANTEE he's going to a team that he can compete for a starting job.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Sportrac says his 2023 cap hit is 16M.
That's true if he stays with TEN... overthecap.com says the same... $10.5M in salary... $5.367M in prorated signing bonus... and $500,000 in other bonus.

But... when a player is traded, the unaccounted-for remainder of their prorated signing bonus ($10.1M in Henry's case) stays with TEN as a dead money hit. It doesn't travel with the player to his new team.

The new team is only responsible for his salary and other bonus... which totaled is $11M in Henry's case.

Rat

Reaction score
Not every player on the team is going to be with us for ten years. Even if Henry only studs out for another three years, he's such a unique and incredible weapon; that's more than worth a late second round pick that is a 50/50 flip to be the next Christine Michael or D'Wayne Eskridge.

I'm not worried about the cap space. Every day I read news about X team restructuring contracts to clear up space with ease. Pretty sure we're allowed to do that too. And as for our other holes, we would still have plenty of draft capital to address those, and FA is tapped out anyway.

Also, it would make this team really, really fun to watch. That has tremendous value for me.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If he gets released someone's gonna overpay him, so I don't want it to be us.

bad fit. We have our bell cow back, Henry's not going to be OK with being 2nd or 3rd string only getting 2-2 series a game. GUARANTEE he's going to a team that he can compete for a starting job.
I'd relegate K9 to RB2 duty without a second thought for Henry. K9 would probably benefit from being a RB2 with home run hitting ability. The lightning to the thunder.