Derrick Henry to the 'Hawks (speculation/Jerhawk's head)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
And how much harder is it for YOUR defense to improve when you've spent a not insignificant amount of cap on a 3rd running back because someone played madden last night?
Madden actually would make this move far more prohibitive than it is in actuality, as the Titans would reject the trade and no cap relief options that exist in real life would be provided in game.

One could say your out-of-touch haranguing about the cap would be more in-line with video game team management than my take, which is informed by seeing every competitive team in the NFL taking a cash-over-cap approach to open championship windows.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
One could say your out-of-touch haranguing about the cap. . .
I just want to know which players we are getting rid of to make room. Seems like a fair question. Considering our draft picks we have 3-4m left, possibly, unless we clear some room.

Don't call me "out of touch" about t he cap when you wanna propose trades that totally disregard reality.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I just want to know which players we are getting rid of to make room. Seems like a fair question. Considering our draft picks we have 3-4m left, possibly, unless we clear some room.

Don't call me "out of touch" about t he cap when you wanna propose trades that totally disregard reality.
They don't disregard reality. You can create room immediately by offering him a short extension, spreading the hit out over time and backloading it. You can attempt to restructure a few different players. There are multiple other tools that teams use on a daily basis to fit players under the cap - on teams with FAR worse cap situations than us, like the Saints for example.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Weird drive-by about the Madden playing, as it's very Maddenish to think that clearing cap space is only achieved by getting rid of players...

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Henry is under contract through next season, you wanna extend him further? Lol. Sure why not, he's the "BEST RUNNING BACK" lets pay him 'til he's 40 despite the gaping holes on our defense. We are after all just an additional running back away from super bowl glory.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Henry is under contract through next season, you wanna extend him further? Lol. Sure why not, he's the "BEST RUNNING BACK" lets pay him 'til he's 40 despite the gaping holes on our defense. We are after all just an additional running back away from super bowl glory.
They have a huge bucket of draft capital to devote to the roster, and have already made several defensive additions. And, yes, he is the best running back in the league. No competition.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Extensions aren't always fully guaranteed. You're not getting it.

They're used to create cap room. They spread cap hits. They, generally, have outs built in way before the contract expires.

Mizak

Reaction score
More like the Seahawks might have 2 RBs with over 1000 rushing yards in a season with the addition of Henry and making Geno’s play much more efficient and consistent.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's a no-brainer move. Seattle fans have somehow conditioned themselves to think that good roster additions are impossible, despite being in the same division as the Rams.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
It's a no-brainer move. Seattle fans have somehow conditioned themselves to think that good roster additions are impossible, despite being in the same division as the Rams.

The Rams, who move on from Running backs long before they are 30.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
What a catastrophe. Good thing these decisions are made by experts and not board warriors and madden players.
The Niners acquired McCaffrey for much, much more than Seattle acquires Henry for in this hypothetical, and they rode his ass to a championship appearance (which might have been more had their quarterbacks not all been killed). Your skepticism towards it is simply not in line with the rest of the league.

Obviously, this is more of a thought experiment, as the Titans likely won't let him go for just a second rounder. But c'mon, you're really grasping at straws calling this a bad move. Loser talk. Browns mentality.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Sportrac says his 2023 cap hit is 16M.

No thanks. Draft another young stud in the 3rd or 4th, and sign a cheap vet backup.
Dont you wanna restructure and extend a 30 year old running back and kick the can down the road a few years, though!?!? I for one would love to still be paying Henry when 2030 rolls around. CHAMPIONSHIP.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The Rams, who move on from Running backs long before they are 30.
Gurley was not as good as Henry, and they spent a high first on him, only getting rid of him because his knee was worn to nothing but bones rubbing together.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Been in the league nearly as long and has a much worse injury history. Try again
I'm not talking about injury history, I'm talking about the cliff that RBs fall off of when they are 30/31.

Lynch was never hurt, and after year 8 he wasn't the same guy. I'd say like lynch Henry has one more decent season with him and then the decline will be rapid and I don't want to kick that can down the road over a running back.

Rat

Reaction score
Normally, I'd be against this, but Henry is a freak of nature who seems to be the exception to every rule. I think he has at least three more years at a high level, which is worth the draft capital being discussed. He's on a level above every back in the league.

Latest posts