Darnell Washington next to Abe Lucas?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Will he be there at 20?

Easily.

Actually, I would expect teams to sit and wait on TEs. This class has probably no less than 10 guys who should be better prospects than Dissly was coming out. It's a really loaded class and particularly so with guys that are inline/blocking types.

Deepest class I've seen probably ever. And really not particularly top heavy either. Just a lot of really good prospects that in a normal draft would expect to be taken in R2. With that much depth, I'd expect teams to address other more lean options at higher positional value and circle back to TE in R2-4.

Athletically, there isn't anyone in this class the equal of Noah Fant or George Kittle. But man there are a lot of good players in this class. Seattle is going to need one from this group, as both Dissly and Fant are UFAs in 2024. Taking a TE this year is really akin to getting another starter grade TE, plus whatever UFA you're going to sign because you aren't paying either Dissly or Fant 9M. So I consider it a 2 for one kind of deal.

massari

Reaction score
The guy is such a giant, his draft profile states:

Washington could become a dominant run blocker with better technique, which makes me wonder if a team might give him a look at offensive tackle at some point in his career.

Seems like a fun prospect to draft in the mid rounds

Last edited:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Having traded away TE Hockenson last year, DET will definitely be looking for another impact TE in this year's draft.

In the 2nd round, DET has picks #49 and 56, while we have #38 and 53.

If we want Darnell Washington, I'd prefer to use the #56 pick and maybe a 6th rounder to jump ahead of DET at somewhere in the #45 to 48 range.

I'd rather we use our #38 pick on the Dline or for a quality LB.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Take him late 1st round or he's gone. His blocking is elite. Plus he's a weapon with the ball. Teams have to account for him.

Last edited:

Sonichound16

Reaction score
Seems like he is the type of player that we would want. I would guess that we would have to take him with our #38 if he is still available there. Basically another Dlineman with some ability to catch the ball in our 3 TE sets. I would be very happy if we came out of the draft with this guy at #38 but I think he will be gone by then.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Easily.

Actually, I would expect teams to sit and wait on TEs. This class has probably no less than 10 guys who should be better prospects than Dissly was coming out. It's a really loaded class and particularly so with guys that are inline/blocking types.

Deepest class I've seen probably ever. And really not particularly top heavy either. Just a lot of really good prospects that in a normal draft would expect to be taken in R2. With that much depth, I'd expect teams to address other more lean options at higher positional value and circle back to TE in R2-4.

Athletically, there isn't anyone in this class the equal of Noah Fant or George Kittle. But man there are a lot of good players in this class. Seattle is going to need one from this group, as both Dissly and Fant are UFAs in 2024. Taking a TE this year is really akin to getting another starter grade TE, plus whatever UFA you're going to sign because you aren't paying either Dissly or Fant 9M. So I consider it a 2 for one kind of deal.
Sam Laporta of Iowa had identical combine #s to Kittle just a few inches shorter @ 6 ft 3”

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Sam Laporta of Iowa had identical combine #s to Kittle just a few inches shorter @ 6 ft 3”

Love Laporta. Zack Kuntz too. Washington as well. There are really a ton of excellent TE prospects this class. There could be as many as 3 in R1 and these above aren't any of them.

Probably the best class of TEs in 25 years or more. And probably 75% of them aren't just move TEs. They are littered with good blocking talent. For a team like Seattle that utilizes 3 TE sets with regularity (Seattle ran it the most in the NFL) -- this is a class we can't really miss out on.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Guy was a backup his entire time in college. Guys like this lead to being the Lions for decades. He might end up living to his potential, but it’s more likely he is another average TE. The next ASJ

keasley45

Reaction score
Easily.

Fant has a big cap number they might want to trade...

nwHawk

Reaction score
He’s a get off the bus kind of guy. Wow.

With so many teams looking for the next Jimmy Graham or Kelce, it’s no wonder why a block first TE would be underrated.

He could be a Ken Walker type pick. Fans might scratch their heads after the selection and ask why, and in a year say… hell yeah, he’s a great fit. 2 way benefit - run and pass.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Dane Brugler and The Athletic in his/their 2023 Beast have Darnell ranked as TE4 in this draft class, and predict that he will go in Round 1-2. He is ranked as #30 overall in their Top 100.

I'd love to have Darnell as a Hawk but seriously doubt that P&J would invest an early Day 2 pick on another TE.

If P&J like him, they could select Sam LaPorta (TE6) using our 3rd round pick (#83 overall) but he may well be gone by that time. Might take a minor move to move up into the #75 range to nab him. Brugler/The Athletic have LaPorta ranked as #64 overall.

Latest posts