Current Cuts to 53

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
Winfield? Really? Anyone know why? I felt pretty confident that he was a lock to be the go-to nickel corner? I guess the Front Office just likes Thurmond better? I mean, I know Walter had a terrific pre-season, but I'm still surprised they'd let a player of Antoine's quality go.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
30 minutes left, and still 15 moves left to make.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Man they are really cutting it close to the wire. They are definitely trying to sneak a couple onto the PS that they know may not clear waivers.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Best to let the expensive vets go a year early rather than a year or two too late (think Holmgren's last couple of years with old worn out guys & the Mariners hanging onto Buhner, Edgar, Olerud after their tires were bare!) especially if they are not starters and will not be big ST guys.

Winfield would play nickle and probably ST's. Thrumond, Lane, Maxwell will all do these same things at a better price and while still improving as players. They all possess better physical skills I would guess.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1p2voo0s said:
Man they are really cutting it close to the wire. They are definitely trying to sneak a couple onto the PS that they know may not clear waivers.

Its a good tactic that Gil Brandt talked about yesterday. He said, when you have a stacked team, its hard to move the players you want to the PS. Waiting till the deadline forces other teams to cut into their 53 to make a move during the waivers. They dont get much time and its tough to make that call fast enough.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
SeeHawkRun":37v3oac5 said:
Winfield? Really? Anyone know why? I felt pretty confident that he was a lock to be the go-to nickel corner? I guess the Front Office just likes Thurmond better? I mean, I know Walter had a terrific pre-season, but I'm still surprised they'd let a player of Antoine's quality go.

He is 36, and when you have a bunch of young bucks who are probably just as good at this point, and a lot cheaper, kind of makes sense.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Cartire":1quqvkib said:
KCHawkGirl":1quqvkib said:

Its a good tactic that Gil Brandt talked about yesterday. He said, when you have a stacked team, its hard to move the players you want to the PS. Waiting till the deadline forces other teams to cut into their 53 to make a move during the waivers. They dont get much time and its tough to make that call fast enough.
I totally expect Jacksonville to snap up any and all of our cuts if we don't keep who we plan to have on the PS in the building and away from their phones and agents. But it still may not work because in reality our PS guys probably have a fair chance to make Jacksonville's 53.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
drrew":3uikbl42 said:
Winfield has apparently decided to retire.

Damn, gotta feel bad for the guy. I remember seein him on RRR sayin he came here for a chance to win a championship. Then he gets cut and probably doesnt really have a choice but to retire now.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Pete Carroll has confirmed that Winfield made the decision to retire.

Glad our corners got to train with him. Gotta believe his mentorship will pay dividends for our young CBs.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
At this point, all names should have been submitted to league offices. Names will begin trickling out soon and can sometimes take up to an hour to get them all.

chris98251

Reaction score
Florio will get them pipelined to him, probably a few other places as well.

General Manager

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2ekvfzna said:
JSeahawks":2ekvfzna said:
Brady Quinn gone? NOOO!!!!

P.S. I would love for us to sign Vince Young.

Nope...we'll go with 2 QB's. Too many other positions we need people who will actually play.

I think he was joking if not JSeahawks you need to go get a cat scan now.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well so far it's been Vets and a project, the guys that are going to be scooped up and we want to have a chance to get back on PS are next.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
SF already has their 53 confirmed and posted on their site.

Must have been pretty easy this year.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Just saw this on Twitter

Chris Cluff ‏@CHawksExaminer 6m
#Seahawks will get back $1.5M in Winfield deal, including $1M salary and $500K in weekly roster bonuses.