Comments on Condotta's 53-man roster

Anthony!

Reaction score
HansGruber":j0kfry2s said:
I'm honestly curious how anyone could have watched Pryor last week in action and came away thinking he's a one read passer or any of that stuff. When I read that, it is clear to me that the speaker has a clear bias against Pryor.

What he did, given the chance to start in Oakland, was clearly on another level from TJack's 2010 run. And TJack enjoyed the advantage of a significantly better team.

Then you did not watch the game he played very well for one, then add in his sub 50% complt, as to Oakland and 2010 TJ ahh he only played 3 games in 2010 so not sure what you are talking about. OF you mean 2011 yeah accept TP was healthy TJ had a torn pect, oh and his stats are still better, way better in fact

Anthony!

Reaction score
salamander":2ggfxlxk said:
TXHawk":2ggfxlxk said:
His speed and athleticism don't do us any good from the sidelines.

I still think a big part of having Prior on the team is so our defense can face his size and athleticism in practice in preparation for the running QBs we face this year..Kap, Cam, etc.

Now that is legit except is it worth a roster spot when we can use it someplace that really matters?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Anthony!":21pyayrj said:
bbsplitter":21pyayrj said:
rideaducati":21pyayrj said:
10 games does not equate to a career. I have never seen a QB struggle in his first ten games and then improve...maybe I haven't been around long enough yet. I'm sure it will happen someday, but until then, I will concede that your stat based evaluation of QBs is foolproof. Although, in my defense, if your stat based evaluation of Tarvaris tells you he is good, you're definitely seeing something that just isn't there.

You say Pryor is a one read QB. I challenge you to watch him play again and actually pay attention this time. Take note of drops and accuracy issues for both Tarvaris and Pryor while also paying attention to pressure. Note the time it takes for each of them to actually make a decision on each play. Note how many times a WR bails them out of a poor throw. If you do this, you might just prove that stats do lie and the two QBs really are similar except one of them is a statue and one can run.

You could call it "advanced stats" in order to save face.

I doubt you'll do it though. Nobody wants to prove themselves wrong.

Tavaris gets the ball out of his hand noticeably quicker than Pryor. No one can ever really say "one read qb" because we have no idea what he is reading. You can stare down a WR and be checking your other route if he is in the same vicinity, so what does that qualify as? Seam route TE up the middle and an x receiver with a outside slant? Same field of vision at the release point. I think something much more important is decision making, and who was open. Let the coaches break down film and decide what his 'reads' were. Pryor takes longer to decide, and release. He is also tentative about some throws because I think he knows the limits of his accuracy, and pulls it down and runs. T-Jack can't run like that. So it just comes down to Pete, would he rather have a more polished QB who is not very athletic and knows the system and can make all the throws, or does he want a QB that can make something out of nothing, even though sometimes there IS something there, he just isnt confident enough to make the throw or doesnt see it. I don't really know if there is an incorrect choice but either way I see T-Jack sticking around this year, and Pryor being more the long term plan if they decide to stash him on the active roster.

Possible but long term what? TP has already said he takes a backseat to know one. He thinks he is better than Rw and every other QB, That is a problem waiting to happen. Unless they think he can take over for RW so they do not have to pay RW there is no reason to keep him at all. He is an FA, if we resign RW to big money, which any sane person would do, then TP will know he has no chance and he will not come back, he will go were he has a chance, and we will have wasted a roster spot on a project that did nothing, as it stands now TJ is way ahead of TP.

Do you have a quote where he says he thinks he is better than RW and every other QB? I have read his interviews before and seen "I try every day to be the best" "I study all day with RW" yada yada yada, but I always took it as try-hard effort bullshit quotes pretty much every back-up player in the league will say to reporters. Never as "I am better than so and so."

rideaducati

Reaction score
Anthony!":1y0wyaxa said:
rideaducati":1y0wyaxa said:
10 games does not equate to a career. I have never seen a QB struggle in his first ten games and then improve...maybe I haven't been around long enough yet. I'm sure it will happen someday, but until then, I will concede that your stat based evaluation of QBs is foolproof. Although, in my defense, if your stat driven evaluation for Tarvaris tells you he is good, you're definitely seeing something that just isn't there.

You say Pryor is a one read QB. I challenge you to watch him play again and actually pay attention this time. Take note of drops and accuracy issues for both Tarvaris and Pryor while also paying attention to pressure. Note the time it takes for each of them to actually make a decision on each play. Note how many times a WR bails them out of a poor throw. If you do this, you might just prove that stats do lie and the two QBs really are similar except one of them is a statue and one can run.

You could call it "advanced stats" in order to save face.

I doubt you'll do it though. Nobody wants to prove themselves wrong.

Dude even the announcers were saying he was not going through his progressions, they said it on the seahawks show after. I have rewatched a number of times and he almost never takes his eyes off of his first read, and when he does he is running period. I watched TJ in the first game go to his 2nd and third read and then throw it, something TP doe snot do and never has.

Dude....he didn't have much time to go through his progressions which is why I challenged you to watch again while paying attention. When he did have time, he did go through them. I also saw Pryor scramble while looking to throw this week. He's making progress. The O-line did Pryor no favors again which is why QB runs were called.

Even with all the time in the world, were the passes Tarvaris threw accurate and on time so the WR could get yards after the catch? Does he still do that jump throw? Did Tarvaris put the ball in a window or did he have to see the WR with three yards of separation before he threw the ball? Those have been issues for Tarvaris for nine years now, has he improved?

chris98251

Reaction score
My thoughts, if you're rebuilding you can develop your 2nd string guy, if you're in the window you have someone that is battle tested. Prior isn't TJack is.

salamander

Reaction score
Anthony!":10010ww2 said:
salamander":10010ww2 said:
TXHawk":10010ww2 said:
His speed and athleticism don't do us any good from the sidelines.

I still think a big part of having Prior on the team is so our defense can face his size and athleticism in practice in preparation for the running QBs we face this year..Kap, Cam, etc.

Now that is legit except is it worth a roster spot when we can use it someplace that really matters?

IMO the question is whether the difference between TJack and Prior in the games outweights the benefit of having Prior to practice against. I think TJack is better, but probably not that much better, and there is a good chance neither player will play any meaningful minutes in games this year. If neither has to play much, I think Prior is the better choice. If heaven forbid Wilson goes down for 10+ games then TJack would probably be the better choice. Also it doesn't really matter who is the better QB, it just matters how many more wins we would have with one vs the other; we have a good enough defense and running game to have some success with a bad QB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":q6cjsj8f said:
My thoughts, if you're rebuilding you can develop your 2nd string guy, if you're in the window you have someone that is battle tested. Prior isn't TJack is.

I'd say Pete and John think the opposite.

They think there's a LOT of value with underrated and underdeveloped players like Pryor, because they have the knowledge team, coaching and system to take backups and late round picks and turn them into starters.

Pryor is a perfect Carroll/Schneider project. A player they can develop over the next 12-24 months into a starter, to be used as our backup for the next 3 years, or traded for a much higher pick than given up. So don't be surprised if T-Jack's cut before the season starts.............or we keep 3 QB's.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
To me, wouldn't make sense to cut a top backup during an SB window, especially when there's no financial incentive to do so (TJ's 2014 money is guaranteed). Look at his preseason numbers last year -- finished with a 131.4 PR through four games. He looked just as sharp in Denver to me and has been outperforming the other backups in practice by most accounts.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":iwtfpt5s said:
chris98251":iwtfpt5s said:

They think there's a LOT of value with underrated and underdeveloped players like Pryor, because they have the knowledge team, coaching and system to take backups and late round picks and turn them into starters.

Pryor is a perfect Carroll/Schneider project. A player they can develop over the next 12-24 months into a starter, to be used as our backup for the next 3 years, or traded for a much higher pick than given up. So don't be surprised if T-Jack's cut before the season starts.............or we keep 3 QB's.

Why we traded TJack when we got Flynn and then brought him back after Flynn was traded and TJack was released over Brady Quinn a guy you could develop?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":oc1p8bsl said:
chris98251":oc1p8bsl said:

If Pryor was under contract for more than this season i'd agree.

rideaducati

Reaction score
chris98251":rpn2r2w9 said:
Sgt. Largent":rpn2r2w9 said:
chris98251":rpn2r2w9 said:

Why we traded TJack when we got Flynn and then brought him back after Flynn was traded and TJack was released over Brady Quinn a guy you could develop?

Like Tarvaris, Brady Quinn is long past his developmental stage. They just needed a backup last year. They came into this year knowing Tarvaris is what he is and are looking to upgrade. Fitting that a QB thought of as garbage is who they bring in to compete with Tarvaris.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1bf5xzey said:
I could see us keeping three QB's. Pryor is just too amazing of an athletic talent to cut, yet T-Jack is arguably the best backup QB in the league.

The other interesting battle is Mayowa and Schoefield. Schoefield was a freakin' beast on Friday, so Mayowa better have one hell of a game against Chicago if he wants to make this roster.

IF only he played another position. It won't matter how good or amazing his talent is if it can't be translated to anything.

There's too many other positions that need filling to have the luxury of keeping 3 qb's when clearly RW has proven that he is resilient.

TXHawk

Reaction score
I don't really care if it's TJack or Pryor as our backup, I'd just rather not have three QBs on the roster when one of them has little chance of ever seeing the field. I'd rather use that roster spot on a sixth WR or a ST player or someone who has a chance to do something other than stand on the sidelines.

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":1z7an8sd said:
chris98251":1z7an8sd said:
Sgt. Largent":1z7an8sd said:
chris98251":1z7an8sd said:

Like Tarvaris, Brady Quinn is long past his developmental stage. They just needed a backup last year. They came into this year knowing Tarvaris is what he is and are looking to upgrade. Fitting that a QB thought of as garbage is who they bring in to compete with Tarvaris.

I do not think they brought TP in to compete with Tj at all, I think they were hoping he would change positions but he refused, and as he put it, according to the announcers he takes a back seat to know one. SO we are stuck as of now with 1 QB who is a good backup and knows his place, and another who is not really a QB and is an FA after this season. The only way TP would stay is if we did not sign RW to a long term deal, there by he would think he would have a chance, which he does not. While his mobility fits what they like, his lack of accuracy and talking care of the ball is the exact opposite. IN the end they are going to do what they want, but keeping TP under the presumption you are signing Rw is a huge mistake.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Another year teams goona pick apart the roster cuts :(

Wish you could just keep everyone.

Perfundle

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3ndx7i9z said:
Sgt. Largent":3ndx7i9z said:
I could see us keeping three QB's. Pryor is just too amazing of an athletic talent to cut, yet T-Jack is arguably the best backup QB in the league.

The other interesting battle is Mayowa and Schoefield. Schoefield was a freakin' beast on Friday, so Mayowa better have one hell of a game against Chicago if he wants to make this roster.

IF only he played another position. It won't matter how good or amazing his talent is if it can't be translated to anything.

There's too many other positions that need filling to have the luxury of keeping 3 qb's when clearly RW has proven that he is resilient.
Wilson hasn't proven that he's resilient; no QB really can. Anyone can get hurt at any time, and usually it's in the pocket, not on scrambles. Would you have said that Aaron Rodgers proved that he was resilient after 2009, when he averaged 42 sacks per season his first two seasons? The next season he missed 1.5 games due to injury, and there was last year of course.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Perfundle":3tit7doq said:
Bobblehead":3tit7doq said:
Sgt. Largent":3tit7doq said:

Wilson hasn't proven that he's resilient; no QB really can. Anyone can get hurt at any time, and usually it's in the pocket, not on scrambles. Would you have said that Aaron Rodgers proved that he was resilient after 2009, when he averaged 42 sacks per season his first two seasons? The next season he missed 1.5 games due to injury, and there was last year of course.

You can get hurt crossing the street. The last thing we need is to waste a roster spot on a QB who is not able to perform the requirements of being a QB at even an Avg level. So I am hoping the either trade or release TP.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Anthony!":1ag1z256 said:
Perfundle":1ag1z256 said:
Bobblehead":1ag1z256 said:
Sgt. Largent":1ag1z256 said:

You can get hurt crossing the street. The last thing we need is to waste a roster spot on a QB who is not able to perform the requirements of being a QB at even an Avg level. So I am hoping the either trade or release TP.

Hogwash. Tarvaris sucks. He's wasted far too many roster spots in his illustrious career.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Bob_the_Destroyer":2hj023cd said:
QUARTERBACK

Keep: Russell Wilson, Tarvaris Jackson, Terrelle Pryor

Cut: B.J. Daniels

Comment: SAME, if they can't trade Pryor for more than a seventh round pick. Tavaris sitting out the last game was mysterious, but might have been because they wanted to get Pryor in the game sooner in order to showcase him.

RECEIVERS

Keep: Percy Harvin, Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Paul Richardson, Ricardo Lockette, Bryan Walters

Cut: Phil Bates, Arceto Clark, Chris Matthews, Kevin Smith, David Gilreath

Comment: Condotta shows his ignorance on NFL football here, saying that Norwood should be their IR exception and that he can come back any time. First, IR exceptions have to wait at least 8 weeks before coming back. Second, no team in their right mind would use their one IR exception on a rookie at the bottom of the roster. They will save it in case a star -- like Wilson, Thomas, Sherman, Harvin, Okung, etc -- gets hurt. The Seahawks will KEEP ONLY FIVE RECEIVERS, with either Lockette, Walters or more likely Norwood as the fifth. Remember, there is the possibility of Sidney Rice coming out of retirement for the stretch run if there is an emergency situation, so five is fine.

TIGHT END

Keep: Zach Miller, Luke Willson, Cooper Helfet

Cut: RaShaun Allen, Morrell Presley

Comment: SAME, although it would probably be safe to keep Heffet on the practice squad. Heffet is not great at blocking, and although Kearse and Baldwin cannot block like TEs, tney are pretty good for WRs. Plus, they can put Bailey or even Cassius Marsh at blocking TE if they really need a third.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Keep: Russell Okung, Max Unger, J.R. Sweezy, Alvin Bailey, James Carpenter, Justin Britt, Lemuel Jeanpierre, Caylin Hauptmann, Eric Winston, Stephen Schilling

Cut: Cory Brandon, C.J. Davis, Greg Van Roten, Nate Isles, Gary Gilliam, Wade Smith

Comment: MAYBE, but Jeanpierre might be in trouble. Wade Smith made the Pro Bowl after the 2012 season and is probably still a much better lineman than Jeanpierre. Both Schilling and Smith can play center.

LINEBACKER

Keep: Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, Malcolm Smith, Brock Coyle, Mike Morgan, Kevin Pierre-Louis

Cut: Heath Farwell, Jackson Jeffcoat, Horace Miller, Marcus Dowti

Comment: Brock Coyle is a poor man's John Lotulelei. Whereas Lutolelei moved forward to tackle, Coyle moves sideways. Lotulelei crushed them, Coyle gets knocked backwards and dragged. Coyle does not have the speed Ken Norton looks for. CUT COYLE, KEEP FARWELL, or possibly Jeffcoat. Ideally, they find a way to stash Jeffcoat on IR. Farwell is the most valuable special teams player in the league and is phenomenal in short yardage, e.g. goal line stand, situations. Without Red Bryant, who was also phenomenal in those situations, it would be dangerous to cut Farwell.

QB'S:

I think we only really need 2 QBS (Wilson and TJack), but I'm starting to understand why we might keep 3.

Terrell Pryor although off to a rocky start has one heck of a resume (mostly college stuff like Rose Bowl win etc), including the longest QB run in NFL history. He is also probably the fastest QB in the league with his 4.38 40 time. Michael Vick used to be faster at around 4.3 but at his age he's probably slowed considerably.

Pryor is tall, very fast, strong arm, is capable of accuracy. His biggest weakness is probably decision making and since the Seahawks value protecting the ball more than anything else it seems strange why we would keep Pryor around when we have a "solid" backup like TJack.

However I think TJack is probably a little over rated when you look at his overall career stats, he's not that great to be honest. But at least he knows our system and seems to understand that protecting the ball is of paramount importance.

Pryor has a potentially much higher upside than TJack, he's basically like Kaepernick except over 15 million dollars a year cheaper... Not too bad a deal for a 7th round pick (guys who shouldn't even make a team) compared to near 20 million a year for Kaepernick. Pryor played for the Oakland Raiders, is it even possible to evaluate his true potential if that is what you are judging him by?

I am shocked we got him for a 7th round pick, it was a huge steal and I can see us keeping 3 QB's just because of his potential and we may be able to trade TJack or Pryor to a team who is desperate if their starting QB get's injured. The 49ers for example have a lot of good players but ALL OF THEIR BACKUPS ARE TERRIBLE! It may be worth keeping Pryor just so the 49ers can't get him and we can simulate Kaepernicks scrambling abilities in practice.

WIDE RECEIVERS:

I think keeping 5 Wide Receivers is hands down THE WORST prediction ANYONE could possibly make. Anyone who thinks that just knows nothing about our team in my opinion because this is the most obvious thing our team needs to do... KEEP 6 Recievers!

We have Percy Harvin who I hate to say is VERY LIKELY TO BE INJURED! We simply need 6 WR's so that we can keep Percy fresh when we have a lead and so that we are always prepared for his probable injury.

At this point I would be somewhat shocked if our 6 WR's are not these guys (listed in order of how easily they should make the team if healthy):

Keep: Percy Harvin, Doug Baldwin, Kevin Norwood, Paul Richardson, Jermaine Kearse, Ricardo Lockette

Walters is a joke, and it seems Phil Bates will be the odd man out. Walters or Bates have a slight chance if they can beat Kearse who I think is vastly over rated due to his "clutchness" (aka Kearse has been extremely lucky so far he has bad hands period). I think it would be a mistake to drop Lockette for either Walters or Bates.

So really if Walters or Bates make the team I'd only be somewhat OK with it if it was Kearse that got the boot. I think we keep 6 no matter what though.

TIGHT ENDS:

I see no need to waste a roster spot on a tight end who is below mediocre. We should just keep 2 Tight ends Zach Miller and Luke Willson they are the only ones who will get any playing time anyways.

OFFENSIVE LINE:

I'm pretty sure Wade Smith was the O-Line Man who I singled out when watching the 1st preseason game as being COMPLETELY USELESS. He was just standing around looked like he couldn't even move, very out of shape and lazy. Gave up on plays and got beat on a regular basis.

Pretty dang sure that was Wade Smith and I was a bit surprised since he seemed to have a reputation indicating that he wasn't useless. But if that was him I don't think he beats out Lemuel Jeanpierre.

LINEBACKERS:

Disagree that we should cut Coyle, he has looked VERY good to me especially considering he is a rookie and the whole team seems to admire what he's doing based on their interviews.

http://www.nfl.com/player/heathfarwell/2506242/careerstats

Farwell had 9 tackles for us last year 7 of which were assisted... Maybe I'm missing something but he seems like a non-factor to me and I'd much rather have Coyle than him.