Charlie Cross, building block for Macdonald dynasty

toffee

Reaction score

nanomoz

Reaction score
It's certainly a make-or-break year for Cross that will dictate whether or not he gets a 5th year option. His performance is key.

NoGain

Reaction score
My guess is that he's not a Pro Bowl type LT, and am hoping he can just become a solid starter. I'm iffy on Cross now. It's almost a flip of the coin to me whether he'll ever nearly live up to the position that we drafted him in. I'd love to be surprised, but not holding my breath.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Cross was the LT I hoped that Schneider would draft, I thought that he could be the second coming of Dyane Brown. Both were slightly undersized but very athletic.

Rat

Reaction score
My guess is that he's not a Pro Bowl type LT, and am hoping he can just become a solid starter. I'm iffy on Cross now. It's almost a flip of the coin to me whether he'll ever nearly live up to the position that we drafted him in. I'd love to be surprised, but not holding my breath.
Agreed. He's the new Russell Okung: somewhat above average, good enough where it's not worth trying to replace him, but he'll probably never be considered among the league elite.

Rat

Reaction score
11 year career of solid play at a premium position?

I will take that every time.
I'm not saying I wouldn't. Nice to plug a guy into that position and not really worry about it for a decade, I just wouldn't necessarily consider him a cornerstone player or what I imagine "THE blocking block" means.

NoGain

Reaction score
I just want to see some real commitment and attitude from Cross this year. That would make me smile.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Interesting..

I seriously thought about starting a thread last night asking if ya'll thought that Cross has been somewhat of a disappointment considering where he was taken and what we gave up (perceived consensus capital at the time) for him.

He's good, but not elite. Yet.

I never played O line and as a fan my eyes gravitate to the "skill" positions most of time, so I don't have much of an opinion. I do notice DOMINANT tackles casually watching when I see one (Ogden, Pace, Jones, Munoz, etc..)

What's the consensus here from the .net experts? Underwhelmed? Where he should be? Elated? Optimistic?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Way too early imo. But I think he's been decent. I don't find myself thinking he isn't going to be a real good LT.

Jac

Reaction score
He is already a solid starter and if that is all he ever becomes, a solid starting LT at any point in the draft is worth the selection.

Agreed. It's seems like it's not uncommon for tackles taken near the top of the first round to be outright busts. If all he ever becomes is a solid starter, we hit a double instead of a home run.

McGruff

Reaction score
Interesting..

I seriously thought about starting a thread last night asking if ya'll thought that Cross has been somewhat of a disappointment considering where he was taken and what we gave up (perceived consensus capital at the time) for him.

He's good, but not elite. Yet.

I never played O line and as a fan my eyes gravitate to the "skill" positions most of time, so I don't have much of an opinion. I do notice DOMINANT tackles casually watching when I see one (Ogden, Pace, Jones, Munoz, etc..)

What's the consensus here from the .net experts? Underwhelmed? Where he should be? Elated? Optimistic?
Too early. College line men usually take 3-4 years to develop

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
In his two NFL seasons, Cross did play under two OL coaches with different blocking philosophies and schemes, two different centers that called line adjustments and did not benefit from having a seasoned LG next to him.