Can MacDonald fix these players?

renofox

Reaction score
BWags got a lot of crap all season for his lack of coverage skills, including by me. But Brooks was much worse yet wasn't dogged on nearly as much if at all. At least Bobby could tackle and stop the run. This team needs an infusion at LB.

I am looking forward mostly to a new scheme which should help some of these guys out.
If you watch film of the Ravens defense you will see ILBs carrying TEs and RBs in man coverage quite often. It's a staple.

Unless MM plans on major scheme changes, Wagner and Brooks will not be re-signed. They are not on the 2024 roster - they are FAs. Why would MMJS sign someone who doesn't fit when there's lots of cheaper options that do?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think MM will go through each player on vid and determine if this
player will be a fit for what he wants and then your either in or out.
A lot of HC's clean house when they first come in just as PC did way
back and honestly I see a lot going out from the defensive side.
Make no mistake this is going to be the same D the Ravens had but
I feel like it's going to take a good season to piece it together.
I'm ok with that though but I really hope we hit on a good OC and I
hear Grubb might be that man.. I'm excited!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would want to keep Diggs around. His play has fallen off since he signed a huge contract. He should be the first cut made.

I could see keeping Diggs on a restructured MUCH less team friendly deal for some continuity on the back end. For a year or two.

Replacing both safeties could be problematic in a new defense. You better damn well have those guys already on the roster or trust whoever you bring in or draft.

But if Diggs won't restructure? See ya, no one's paying him his ridiculous cap hit next year.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Both LB's were hung out to dry in Pete and Hurtt's ridiculously easy schemes to pick apart.

Having said that, Brooks is only what 25? 26? Still in his prime and a perfect aggressively fast sideline to sideline MLB that fits in Macdonalds/Ravens scheme.

We all love Bobby, but if we're tearing it down and making the D in a new image, having a slow MLB doesn't work. Even one as intuitive and smart as Wagner is.

Devin Bush is only 25 and in is prime also. Doesn't mean much. We'll see if Brooks turns it around.

I wasn't advocating for the team to keep Wagner around. He's past his prime.

olyfan63

Reaction score
He's an above average player at best. They can find a more disruptive player in the draft and/or free agency.
It's all good, so you agree that in Nwosu, we have at least ONE above average player on that D besides Spoon. :cool:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I could see keeping Diggs on a restructured MUCH less team friendly deal for some continuity on the back end. For a year or two.

Replacing both safeties could be problematic in a new defense. You better damn well have those guys already on the roster or trust whoever you bring in or draft.

But if Diggs won't restructure? See ya, no one's paying him his ridiculous cap hit next year.
I wouldn't pay a penny to a guy afraid to tackle, like Diggs has shown to do the past 2+ years (since he got trucked by Derrick Henry in the 2021 season). Plus, they still would have Julian Love. Love isn't afraid to tackle and can replace Diggs.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It's all good, so you agree that in Nwosu, we have at least ONE above average player on that D besides Spoon. :cool:
Correct. Currently under contract. If the resign Williams, then three.

But I want them all fired except Spoon because I'm crazy!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

I have a feeling that Witherspoon might be kicked out to safety. He already played a role similar to Hamilton here, we used him in a similar fashion. Hamilton did everything, spent a lot of time on slot receivers, lots of blitzing off of the corner. Hamilton blurred the lines between safety and CB, he did a lot of everything. The one guy who fits that role right now is Witherspoon.

LTH

Reaction score
Fair enough.
I don't listen to any of the so called "experts". I think for myself. Am I right? Who knows, time will tell. it's just the way I feel about it right now. Why is that so absolutely shocking to you that I might have a different opinion than everybody else? It seems that it insults you or something 😆

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I left off Mafe, of course he's staying. Under contract and showed signs of being a very good edge DE. Only concern was he pretty much disappeared after Nwosu got hurt.
And Love?

12forlife

Reaction score
Two of these players won't even be here (Taylor and Bush), and it's a high possibility that Brooks won't be here either.

I hope Brooks is back, as we need a speedy inside LB. But he's a UFA.
For the cost I hope Mac is able to bring LB Queen over from Baltimore. Let Brooks walk, draft a rookie, and bring Bobby back for Vet Minimum

olyfan63

Reaction score
I left off Mafe, of course he's staying. Under contract and showed signs of being a very good edge DE. Only concern was he pretty much disappeared after Nwosu got hurt.
I saw it very differently, to me it seemed that Mafe was very often the one forcing the action, pressuring the QB, making the play, after Nwosu went out. If anything, I could agree that opponents didn't attack Mafe's area as much; why should they, when there's easier pickings on the other side, with Darrell Taylor or the body-of-the-week over there? Kind of like how the Lions schemed out Aaron Donald in the playoff game, sending 2 and 3 guys at him on every play, except simpler, just attack the other side.

But, I'm open to your ideas, what games and what plays can you recall where Mafe seemed to disappear? Do you have access to PFF or whatever that grades players each game that provides interesting data on Mafe without Nwosu?

olyfan63

Reaction score
I have a feeling that Witherspoon might be kicked out to safety. He already played a role similar to Hamilton here, we used him in a similar fashion. Hamilton did everything, spent a lot of time on slot receivers, lots of blitzing off of the corner. Hamilton blurred the lines between safety and CB, he did a lot of everything. The one guy who fits that role right now is Witherspoon.
Did you hear the part in the presser where Macdonald was talking about the commonality in the draft board between Seattle and Baltimore, and that Spoon was one player they hoped to pick up that the Seahawks snagged before they could?

So you might just win the Carnac the Magnificent award on this one!

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I don't listen to any of the so called "experts". I think for myself. Am I right? Who knows, time will tell. it's just the way I feel about it right now. Why is that so absolutely shocking to you that I might have a different opinion than everybody else? It seems that it insults you or something 😆
It sounded like it came out of your rear end.

bileever

Reaction score
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yet Ravens fans are in tears because they lost their heir apparent head coach they prefer over the one they actually have.

This is the worst take I've seen. Not a single source on this matter would come anywhere near agreeing with you.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I may not agree with @LTH, but it's a valid point. No one knows how these first-time head coaches will pan out. I like Macdonald, but his weakness is his lack of experience, not just as a head coach but overall. But we've seen a lot of smart, young coaches succeed recently--Sean McVay (age 30), Zac Taylor (35), Kevin O'Connell (36), DeMeco Ryans (38), Matt LaFleur (39) and Mike McDaniel (39)--which suggests that at age 36, Macdonald has plenty of experience.

(Btw, the age listed next to the coach is the age they were when they were hired.)

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I may not agree with @LTH, but it's a valid point. No one knows how these first-time head coaches will pan out. I like Macdonald, but his weakness is his lack of experience, not just as a head coach but overall. But we've seen a lot of smart, young coaches succeed recently--Sean McVay (age 30), Zac Taylor (35), Kevin O'Connell (36), DeMeco Ryans (38), Matt LaFleur (39) and Mike McDaniel (39)--which suggests that at age 36, Macdonald has plenty of experience.

(Btw, the age listed next to the coach is the age they were when they were hired.)
Peanut gallery gonna peanut gallery.

bileever

Reaction score
Peanut gallery gonna peanut gallery.
I said I didn't agree with him, and pointed out lots of examples of young coaches who have succeeded. I'm just saying don't crucify the guy.