Can MacDonald fix these players?

SeaWolv

Reaction score
What a dark timeline we're living in...
That's funny, I was thinking the exact opposite. My favorite college team just won the national championship and my favorite NFL team just picked the best coach available to succeed Peter Carroll. ;)

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This roster is filled with JAGs, and many more less than JAGs.

There's no fixing them. Maybe Woolen, but even that's a hope and a prayer.

MacDonald would be better off rebuilding this defense through the draft and free agency. I know some of you guys love Nwosu. Sure, keep him if you want. The rest of these guys besides Spoon can walk.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Before someone else gets to say it

Macdonald Macdonald Macdonald

I didn’t care about spelling but now I want to. It’s on my daily outrage wheel I spin each morning
Brandon Perna has a recurring guest spot for you... You'll lead off with a spin of the daily outrage wheel, after which Perna will spin his curse wheel, which decides which team gets a curse on them that week.

olyfan63

Reaction score

MacDonald would be better off rebuilding this defense through the draft and free agency. I know some of you guys love Nwosu. Sure, keep him if you want. The rest of these guys besides Spoon can walk.
Nwosu is the bomb, the real deal, a foundation piece. How did his play when healthy not pound that into your head? Love Nwosu's effort and heart, as well as his skills. Past Hawks he reminds me of are Cliff Avril and Jacob Green. Not necessarily in style of play, but effort, heart, and impact on the game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
  1. Jodyn Brooks
    Brooks were better than Queen, until MacDonald/
  2. Darryl Taylor
    Dude had holes in his game, but .....
  3. Tariq Woolen
    Pro-bowler in year one but seriously regressed
  4. Dre'mont Jones
    Can he be a probowler?
  5. Devin Bush
    Former first rounder.

Two of these players won't even be here (Taylor and Bush), and it's a high possibility that Brooks won't be here either.

I hope Brooks is back, as we need a speedy inside LB. But he's a UFA.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I imagine Jones, Woolen and Spoon will thrive under MacDonald. Others too. Adams, Diggs and Wagner are gone. Others will depend on price. I don't see this coach overpaying. He's shown he can do a lot with guys on less expensive or "prove it" contracts.

Macdonald isn't going to be the GM, and he will not have the final say on personnel. He'll be able to give Schneider and his team input, but personnel decisions, including salary offers and agreements, will be decided by Schneider and his team, not by Macdonald. So I agree that "I don't see this coach overpaying," but I don't see him underpaying or paying fairly either. He's not paying at all.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Nwosu is the bomb, the real deal, a foundation piece. How did his play when healthy not pound that into your head? Love Nwosu's effort and heart, as well as his skills. Past Hawks he reminds me of are Cliff Avril and Jacob Green. Not necessarily in style of play, but effort, heart, and impact on the game.
He's an above average player at best. They can find a more disruptive player in the draft and/or free agency.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I'd add Morris to this list. Since MM was his college coach I expect him to have a breakout season next year as he'll already be familiar with the system.

I would assume Brooks will be back next year, unless MM decides to let him walk in order to chase Queen. It would make sense if the price tag is not too high to have someone who knows his system to help install and lead his defense.

I flat out don't like Taylor. He's got one trick and it's not even that good of a trick. Unless MM has a use for a guy that has great burst but no bend, I assume he's gone.

Riq is fine. He surprised a lot of people his rookie year, but OCs have seen his tape now and he had a sophomore slump. He will have to continue developing his game, but I can see him running with X receivers for the next decade.

Jones, I'm not as sure of. Especially after Nwosu went down we did not have a dynamic DL. Jones and Reed saw a lot of double teams while playing 2/3 of defensive snaps. Will Morris and Cam Young push for more playing time and keep everyone fresher? Will we find someone more dynamic than Taylor and Derick Hall to back up Nwosu and Mafe to pose an outside threat? Will that Macdonald tends to fake blitzes quite a bit to confuse coverage provide more 1:1 opportunities? We'll have to see, but Jones will be here in 2024 either way. He's a good player.

Bush will be a cheap resign. He's fast and seems okay as a back up. Good insurance if Bobby's mortality catches up with him.

Inre Bobby: If we go out and get Queen, I think Bobby has to go. Queen is Macdonald's guy and you can't have two top-dogs in the locker room.

LTH

Reaction score
Unless of course you want to share the source of this ridiculous take?
ITS Just Risiculous...Holy cow batman
.. I think I just smoke too much weed and drink too much booze... its really that simple ... LMFAO!!!!

LTH

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
ITS Just Risiculous...Holy cow batman
.. I think I just smoke too much weed and drink too much booze... its really that simple ... LMFAO!!!!

LTH
Fair enough.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
They will thrive until coach realizes that they do or don't give enough of whatever it takes to do so
These guys were not merely scrubs the hawks took and a lot of em were highly regarded but coaching had their way and now we have a new coach so give it A COUPLE SEASONS AND WE'LL FIND OUT lol
Go Hawks
Nobody knows , not even coach . only one who does is the players
And does anyone expect that Macdonald won't be watching some tape on some players that quit on Pete Carroll before giving them their walking papers?, I sure do.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
And does anyone expect that Macdonald won't be watching some tape on some players that quit on Pete Carroll before giving them their walking papers?, I sure do.
I think he'll do some diligence on that front but will largely lay down his expectations and give folks a clean slate to buy in and execute at a high level, or face the music

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Nwosu, Spoon, Woolen, Reed and hopefully resigning the Big Cat. That's it, that's the extent of who I think Macdonald will keep.

MAYBE trying to resign Brooks and restructure Diggs if they think he's got another couple good years of playing in an actual functional defense.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
BWags got a lot of crap all season for his lack of coverage skills, including by me. But Brooks was much worse yet wasn't dogged on nearly as much if at all. At least Bobby could tackle and stop the run. This team needs an infusion at LB.

I am looking forward mostly to a new scheme which should help some of these guys out.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Nwosu, Spoon, Woolen, Reed and hopefully resigning the Big Cat. That's it, that's the extent of who I think Macdonald will keep.

MAYBE trying to resign Brooks and restructure Diggs if they think he's got another couple good years of playing in an actual functional defense.
Why not keep Mafe? He graded out at 73.9 on PFF. Or Love, he was a 72.8?
Brooks and Diggs were not good last year. Not sure I want them back but with so many holes to fill it might not be an option.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BWags got a lot of crap all season for his lack of coverage skills, including by me. But Brooks was much worse yet wasn't dogged on nearly as much if at all. At least Bobby could tackle and stop the run. This team needs an infusion at LB.

I am looking forward mostly to a new scheme which should help some of these guys out.

Both LB's were hung out to dry in Pete and Hurtt's ridiculously easy schemes to pick apart.

Having said that, Brooks is only what 25? 26? Still in his prime and a perfect aggressively fast sideline to sideline MLB that fits in Macdonalds/Ravens scheme.

We all love Bobby, but if we're tearing it down and making the D in a new image, having a slow MLB doesn't work. Even one as intuitive and smart as Wagner is.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

Not sure why anyone would want to keep Diggs around. His play has fallen off since he signed a huge contract. He should be the first cut made on the defensive side. Plus his effort in tackling leaves a lot to be desired.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Why not keep Mafe? He graded out at 73.9 on PFF. Or Love, he was a 72.8?
Brooks and Diggs were not good last year. Not sure I want them back but with so many holes to fill it might not be an option.

I left off Mafe, of course he's staying. Under contract and showed signs of being a very good edge DE. Only concern was he pretty much disappeared after Nwosu got hurt.

Latest posts