Baldwin calls out Bennett for complaining about money

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
They really need an opponent to take this out on already. Playing Thursday gave them to much time between games to get slaty. Come on Cowgirls.

mrt144

Reaction score
RussB":ej9529tp said:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/seahawks-doug-baldwin-michael-bennett-fight-contract-talk

About time someone says something, these athletes have no right to complain about not making enough millions.

They have the right, how you choose to regard their complaint is your business.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
RussB":2bps414m said:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/seahawks-doug-baldwin-michael-bennett-fight-contract-talk

About time someone says something, these athletes have no right to complain about not making enough millions.

They have all the right to do so. Their labor is worth billions to their employers.

Why don't you think that workers have a right to seek as much money for their valuable labor as possible?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3nvkgadm said:
They have all the right to do so. Their labor is worth billions to their employers.

Why don't you think that workers have a right to seek as much money for their valuable labor as possible?

I'm glad you asked! I'll be happy to tell you why....because Mr. Bennett signed an agreement to play for an agreed amount of money over a specific time period. After that time is up...he can "belly ache" as much as he wants....or go play elsewhere. :stirthepot:

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":f1d2qzwm said:
RussB":f1d2qzwm said:

Asking is one thing.

Incessantly whining about it is something else.

He's lost perspective.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Hawkpower":ivwh84ln said:
Smelly McUgly":ivwh84ln said:
RussB":ivwh84ln said:

Asking is one thing.

He's lost perspective.

What you call "whining," I call "negotiating very publicly."

The only people who have lost perspective are Doug Baldwin, who should just be grateful that he got paid and keep his mouth shut about another man's financial affairs, and fans who think that Bennett should be perfectly happy and grateful at all times for their own comfort.

Seymour

Reaction score
dogorama":3k76oeu8 said:
Seymour":3k76oeu8 said:
dogorama":3k76oeu8 said:
Aros":3k76oeu8 said:
I love Baldwin but I'm not sure calling him out nationally is the best way to cultivate that "brotherhood" this team takes so seriously and seems to be at the very heart of championship-level success. I could be wrong and maybe it's fine and they are tight but this seems to smack of the kinds of drama this team could do without.

I agree and for the first time, I can see Bennett asking for a trade.

LOL, so now Bennett may want a trade because of something Baldwin said?

Ohhh the pain, the drama..

I'm not saying that he is going to ask for a trade but just that this may add to his general level of discontent here. Fighting and bickering during practice is pretty normal, but calling each other out in the press? Not so much.

And Bennett did both! Fighting then calling out the young olinemen for crossing the line and potentially taking "food off his table". He is being ridiculous IMO.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":cn6yobv0 said:
Smelly McUgly":cn6yobv0 said:

I'm glad you asked! I'll be happy to tell you why....because Mr. Bennett signed an agreement to play for an agreed amount of money over a specific time period. After that time is up...he can "belly ache" as much as he wants....or go play elsewhere. :stirthepot:

I didn't know the CBA didn't allow players to re-negotiate contracts while in the middle of them or, for that matter, complain publicly about a contract that they are playing under.

Oh, what's that? The CBA doesn't restrict those things? I guess that makes your point moot, then.

LolaRox

Reaction score
The USA Today article is very misleading. Baldwin's quote has nothing to do with Michael Bennett's contract or Michael Bennett complaining about his contract. They added all that contract stuff to build the story. That is why I hate 'journalism' today.

Baldwin was asked about 'MikeB's code' in reference to what Mike said about his and Sowell's fight. He was talking about cheap shots that could hurt the team thereby taking food out of his family's mouths. Not about his contract.

Here is the articles that provides the larger context.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... 35327.html

All that being said, Baldwin should shut his trap. He used to be one of my favorite players but not anymore. All of his 'listen to me, I'm the truth teller, I'm the leader blah blah blah :pukeface:

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I think everyone is tired of listening to MB complain. He started in before the ink was dry. He's a whiny bitch.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Easy for Baldwin to say when he just signed a huge deal. Also, say want you want in the locker room but coming out in public and saying this shit and the stuff happening in camp is not gonna be good for morale of the team. Sounds like to me its a locker room divided again...can't blame Percy this time! Baldwin should probably just shut up and keep it in house!

v1rotv2

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3asocb99 said:
They have every right to complain about not making enough millions. On average they have 3 year careers, and the longer you're in the NFL the more your body will break down. Players have to make their money while they can, and the longer they stay in the NFL the more they'll pay the price later in life.

If anything they deserve to be paid more, especially considering how much the NBA and MLB pay.

Almost every person on the planet has to get a new job or change careers at some point. He knew how long his career could last and should have planned for it. If it was truly the case that he felt this strongly about it why did he sign the deal he did. I have no doubt he'll get his money, but the team policy was well known to him at the time. He won't get his new deal until he is in the last year of this one.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":38penp2e said:
Hawkpower":38penp2e said:
Smelly McUgly":38penp2e said:
RussB":38penp2e said:

Asking is one thing.

He's lost perspective.

What you call "whining," I call "negotiating very publicly."

The only people who have lost perspective are Doug Baldwin, who should just be grateful that he got paid and keep his mouth shut about another man's financial affairs, and fans who think that Bennett should be perfectly happy and grateful at all times for their own comfort.

No, Bennett has lost perspective.

When he is in the financial position he is in, to be this upset, ALL THE TIME, is a definite loss of perspective.

I don't behoove him for wanting to make top dollar. We all want that.

But he has to realize how ridiculous he sounds to 99.9% of the population when he can't shut up about his poor undervalued contract.

Lets start to make a list of people/professions in this world who deserve more money for what they do. I would be willing to bet Mike doesnt crack the top 36,000...

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3qc9j8zj said:

When he is in the financial position he is in, to be this upset, ALL THE TIME, is a definite loss of perspective.

But he has to realize how ridiculous he sounds to 99.9% of the population when he can't shut up about his poor undervalued contract.

Lets start to make a list of people/professions in this world who deserve more money for what they do. I would be willing to bet Mike doesnt crack the top 36,000...

He shouldn't care how he sounds. He should care about the market value for his skills, that's all.

I think my perspective is that the worst thing about the league, other than the owners/commish, are the fans. They demand their pound of flesh and turn on the players the second the players don't act exactly as they want them to. They think that football players shouldn't be disgruntled about their contracts and should just shut up and play for a fraction of what the owners pull in for doing no actual useful labor at all.

As for people who also deserve more money, sure, make that list. Those 36,000 people deserving more money for their labor do not somehow invalidate Bennett also deserving more money for his labor.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3lca6rw4 said:
Hawkpower":3lca6rw4 said:

He shouldn't care how he sounds. He should care about the market value for his skills, that's all.

I think my perspective is that the worst thing about the league, other than the owners/commish, are the fans. They demand their pound of flesh and turn on the players the second the players don't act exactly as they want them to. They think that football players shouldn't be disgruntled about their contracts and should just shut up and play for a fraction of what the owners pull in for doing no actual useful labor at all.

As for people who also deserve more money, sure, make that list. Those 36,000 people deserving more money for their labor do not somehow invalidate Bennett also deserving more money for his labor.

Fans have every right to call out players when they act poorly. Players have every right to not care.

Bennett clearly is choosing the latter and thats fine, but it doesn't take it away.

Most regular guys who work their cracks off for mere crumbs in comparison can't relate with his whining about food on the table. Good for you for not being bothered by it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":122wykd2 said:
Hawkpower":122wykd2 said:

I would argue that more then 36,000 teachers are under paid and valued, we entrust them with our kids, their education, much of their social development while also playing watch dog for abuse and neglect. Bennett gets to play a game that entertains people and makes millions doing so, being a smarter negotiator may have helped. Is he underpaid for his contributions based on the league, yes, but not so much to eat up everyone's times trying to get a sympathy card for it.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Bennett is one of the leagues best pass rushers, and i get that he wants to be paid like one. But no need to complain about it and throw hissy fits when he still has over a year left on his current contract.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3b5eihzc said:
Fans have every right to call out players when they act poorly. Players have every right to not care.

Bennett clearly is choosing the latter and thats fine, but it doesn't take it away.

Most regular guys who work their cracks off for mere crumbs in comparison can't relate with his whining about food on the table. Good for you for not being bothered by it.

Fair enough, with the caveat that I am free to call out fans who have terrible attitudes toward the players as well.

If regular guys can't relate, they should put in the time to perfect a highly-marketable craft instead of whining about the salary demands of those who did put in that time.

HawkGA

Reaction score
chris98251":26ufpy4h said:
I would argue that more then 36,000 teachers are under paid and valued, we entrust them with our kids, their education, much of their social development while also playing watch dog for abuse and neglect. Bennett gets to play a game that entertains people and makes millions doing so, being a smarter negotiator may have helped. Is he underpaid for his contributions based on the league, yes, but not so much to eat up everyone's times trying to get a sympathy card for it.

And teachers bitch all the time.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
chris98251":u7ey8scy said:

This is irrelevant, a red herring. I am an educator who thinks teachers should get paid more. That does not have anything to do with whether Bennett should get paid more. These things can be true at the same time independently of one another.

As an educator, I chose a craft that I knew would never make me rich. If I want to be rich, I have two options: Hone a more marketable skill or play Powerball. Complaining about the salary demands of other people who worked hard to hone a more marketable skill would be sour grapes on my part.

And I think you misread Bennett and what he wants. He wants to use whatever avenues he has to get a new and richer contract. I doubt he cares about or wants your or my sympathy.