Baldwin calls out Bennett for complaining about money

253hawk

Reaction score
No one stopped him from taking more money to go jump offsides for the Bears, and to play with his brother.

He's had enough in roughing the passer and fighting fines to pay my salary for two full years. Cry me a effin' river.

Seymour

Reaction score
RussB":2w4g76h8 said:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/seahawks-doug-baldwin-michael-bennett-fight-contract-talk

About time someone says something, these athletes have no right to complain about not making enough millions.

Nice to see you read SeahawkBlue. :stirthepot:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I want the context of this quote because Baldwin can be very sarcastic and we all know Bennett rips teammates all the time in a jokingly matter. Think the media is taking this quote and trying to make a story that's not there

Seymour

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":xhbscvmj said:
I want the context of this quote because Baldwin can be very sarcastic and we all know Bennett rips teammates all the time in a jokingly matter. Think the media is taking this quote and trying to make a story that's not there

Context??

“I mean, yes, there is a ‘code.’ But Mike B. doesn’t always necessarily operate by that code, either,” Baldwin said.

“It hard to take him serious when he talks about other guys taking food off his kids’ plate – when he is driving around here with 10 different cars, you know?”

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1e8q1ro9 said:
Hasselbeck":1e8q1ro9 said:

Context??

“I mean, yes, there is a ‘code.’ But Mike B. doesn’t always necessarily operate by that code, either,” Baldwin said.

“It hard to take him serious when he talks about other guys taking food off his kids’ plate – when he is driving around here with 10 different cars, you know?”

perhaps the better work instead of context) would be demeanor. If he's smiling and laughing and obviously joking around, then saying he's calling him out would be out of context.

Seymour

Reaction score
kidhawk":7elpi06i said:
Seymour":7elpi06i said:
Hasselbeck":7elpi06i said:

Context??

perhaps the better work instead of context) would be demeanor. If he's smiling and laughing and obviously joking around, then saying he's calling him out would be out of context.

You don't make a statement (on a serious matter) to a beat reporter in sarcasm, at least a veteran player won't make that mistake.

Just accept Doug stood up against Bennett's pathetic whining.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Doug can have a little brother attitude at times. Remember him calling Russell fake before the opener a couple years ago?

This sounds more like offense vs. defense banter that tends to happen before the start of the season. Bennett was unhappy with the way Sowell pancaked one of the defensive players. Now, Doug is firing back.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3rwcbywj said:
kidhawk":3rwcbywj said:
Seymour":3rwcbywj said:
Hasselbeck":3rwcbywj said:

Context??

You don't make a statement (on a serious matter) to a beat reporter in sarcasm, at least a veteran player won't make that mistake.

Just accept Doug stood up against Bennett's pathetic whining.

How can I accept something that I don't know to be true. None of us here (to my knowledge) were there when the question and answer took place, so we have no idea the mood or the atmosphere at the time. I have my doubts about this coming in a serious sit down, one on one interview. If it did then it's still no big deal, but reading the article posted, it comes off as Baldwin having some fun at a teammate's expense (much like Bennett does quite often in his interviews).

scutterhawk

Reaction score
He's complaining that he didn't get enough, and yet he put his signature on a contract for it....Ridiculous.
When is enough, enough?
I have always felt that I EARNED a lot more than I received, but it is what it is....I have journeyman status in 4 different crafts, ALL of them physically demanding, and a LOT of the jobs that I worked, required me to travel, and spend a lot more time away from my family than I wanted to, but that's what the average Joe Shmoe has to do....There is no 'Do Overs' for those special things that I missed.
I am grateful that I had work, while a lot of others were unemployed.
Michael Bennett should give thanks to the good Lord that he was gifted with size & athleticism, to be making tens of Millions, and that he lives in a time when Professional Football players no longer have to work a job in the Off-Season like they did back in the 70's.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Teams usually want to keep this stuff in-house to avoid distraction; that goes for Bennett's implication that Sowell violated the code on player safety, as well as Baldwin's comeback.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I think this team plays better when they are pissed off and feel disrespected, so all this drama could be a good thing.

rigelian

Reaction score
kf3339":1pkqkxhi said:
The players have every right to complain about their contracts. It's a business.

But the owners also have every right to run their business in a manner that allows them to make a profit. That is the way businesses work. If they can't make a profit they would close down their business and none of the employees (including players) would be paid at all.

So the argument of not making enough money from some players to me is just mute. They know the business well enough, or they wouldn't have invested time and sacrifice to put themselves in a position to be in this industry. That is how capitalism works.
Suggesting that the NFL is an example of capitalism is a joke. These owners operating out of publicly financed stadiums, with essentially a monopoly, pulling players from colleges, in a draft which is akin to collusion in almost any other industry is not an example of capitalism.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Largent80

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":jiujdo4l said:
All anyone has to say to counter Bennett's stance is the following:

-- You tested free agency, nobody offered you big money, you signed a one-year deal with the Seahawks

-- You tested free agency the following year, nobody offered you big money, so you signed a long term deal with the Seahawks

Not many players test free agency TWICE in their prime. The simple fact is nobody wished to pay Bennett the kind of money he covets. And that is tough titties.

Ummmm. THIS.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Baldwin should 'zip it'.

Publicly commenting on another player's contract is out of bounds or should be. There is nothing wrong with Doug or MB saying what they are saying, it just isn't something that Baldwin should talk about publicly.

Frankly I agree with English's comments above but think MB has earned a bigger deal.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Good gravy I cannot wait until regular season begins so there is more to discuss.

dogorama

Reaction score
Aros":24h9af8h said:
I love Baldwin but I'm not sure calling him out nationally is the best way to cultivate that "brotherhood" this team takes so seriously and seems to be at the very heart of championship-level success. I could be wrong and maybe it's fine and they are tight but this seems to smack of the kinds of drama this team could do without.

I agree and for the first time, I can see Bennett asking for a trade.

Seymour

Reaction score
dogorama":1jws9jks said:
Aros":1jws9jks said:
I love Baldwin but I'm not sure calling him out nationally is the best way to cultivate that "brotherhood" this team takes so seriously and seems to be at the very heart of championship-level success. I could be wrong and maybe it's fine and they are tight but this seems to smack of the kinds of drama this team could do without.

LOL, so now Bennett may want a trade because of something Baldwin said?

Ohhh the pain, the drama..

0194ebc26beaed6a78c051b607921bdc

dogorama

Reaction score
Seymour":1jnngt1v said:
dogorama":1jnngt1v said:
Aros":1jnngt1v said:

LOL, so now Bennett may want a trade because of something Baldwin said?

Ohhh the pain, the drama..

0194ebc26beaed6a78c051b607921bdc

I'm not saying that he is going to ask for a trade but just that this may add to his general level of discontent here. Fighting and bickering during practice is pretty normal, but calling each other out in the press? Not so much.