Anyone think Russ was trying to sabotage the O last year?

keasley45

Reaction score
I recalled Duane Brown said something along those lines right after he joined the hawks, can't remember exactly what he said though.
I didn't play the lines, but that's accurate in that if the play calls for a shallow drop, read and throw, and the qb drifts off of that release spot when the tackle's responsibility is to push the pass rusher around the top of the pocket... or if your qb has a tendency to bail out the back of the pocket when that's exactly where the tackle is moving his man, well... that's gonna look like crap blocking and result in a sack.

Similarly, if the blocking on a play calls for the qb to drop back and into the one gap (back and slightly left, or behind the guard) and for whatever reason, he shifts right ( sight lines... happy feet), he's going to likely be dropping close to the spot the center is surrendering ground, if he can't stalemate the rusher at the line.

It's a very important factor in assessing qb play and o line performance. Lineman aren't just standing up and blocking. There's in many cases as much intent in where they 'allow' a rusher to go as there is in where they move a defender in run blocking.

Throwdown

Reaction score
No I don’t think he was, I do think he played a ton of hero ball and he made for bad possession after bad possession and quick 3 and outs. Russ wants that mvp so bad it’s a detriment

BASF

Reaction score
There were times this year when it looked like Brown wanted to pickup Wilson and slam him to the ground. He was getting quite frustrated with him.
Truth is that is the qb's responsiility to recongize where the pressure is coming pre-snap. I doubt there is more than one person on this board that believes Wilson excelled at that aspect. There are also several plays over the past year where it seems that the line was designed to allow pressure in an area when Wilson was supposed to get it out quickly to the other side, but he decided to eat a sack instead of throwing the ball. Some of those were great plays by the defense, but some were Wilson being hesitant.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Nobody needs to sabotage the Seahawk offense.

We have Carroll. Who still thinks running the ball helps you win anything outside of the regular season.

We neuter our own offense to run our own clock down in the 1st half.

Wilson found a way to play outside of the gameplans to somehow produce, because we had godawful game plans.

It just looks like sabotage. But that was likely just Carroll meddling again.

Wilson didn't need to do anything to screw it up. It was already screwed up.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Nobody needs to sabotage the Seahawk offense.

We have Carroll. Who still thinks running the ball helps you win anything outside of the regular season.

We neuter our own offense to run our own clock down in the 1st half.
This I never understood. Let's tie one arm behind our backs for the better part of the game, just so you can spout some "win it in the fourth quarter" jargon.

Remember Wilson's first year when the Seahawks would run up the score until the opponent gave up hope?
Now that's a gameplan I can get behind.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
This I never understood. Let's tie one arm behind our backs for the better part of the game, just so you can spout some "win it in the fourth quarter" jargon.

Remember Wilson's first year when the Seahawks would run up the score until the opponent gave up hope?
Now that's a gameplan I can get behind.
Yeah, that's when Russ was still a speedy Rook, & MARSHAWN LYNCH was pounding Defenses into submission with Pete's RUN GAME, those were indeed "The Good old Days"

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not true at all.

People forget that just a year or two before 'Let Russ Cook' - we scored among the least amount of TDs in the 1st half of any team in the league.
(I believe we were setting records for it, actually)

I distinctly remember a game, where we went into half time with maybe a FG or 2, and Russ only had 50 yds passing in the 1st half.

You really believe that Wilson was the reason for that?
Because once the leash went off Wilson, he passed for a reasonable amount the 2nd half. This kind of crap was the reason 'Let Russ Cook' even was born.

We were just fine keeping it close. Because Pete is old and he likes to play that way. Field position. Punting. FGs. Garbage.

It was unwatchable. I used to regularly arrive in the 2nd half to games or turn on the TV after halftime. Didn't even BOTHER to watch the 1st halves. Why bother?

In fact, the next year - we played GB in the opener and I didn't even bother with checking the score until halftime - knew it would be zero / zero and I think it was that or maybe GB had a FG.

Carroll was running the offense the way he wanted, it wasn't Wilson. And the way he wanted was the kind of crap nobody else wanted.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Not true at all.

People forget that just a year or two before 'Let Russ Cook' - we scored among the least amount of TDs in the 1st half of any team in the league.
(I believe we were setting records for it, actually)

I distinctly remember a game, where we went into half time with maybe a FG or 2, and Russ only had 50 yds passing in the 1st half.

You really believe that Wilson was the reason for that?
Because once the leash went off Wilson, he passed for a reasonable amount the 2nd half. This kind of crap was the reason 'Let Russ Cook' even was born.

We were just fine keeping it close. Because Pete is old and he likes to play that way. Field position. Punting. FGs. Garbage.

It was unwatchable. I used to regularly arrive in the 2nd half to games or turn on the TV after halftime. Didn't even BOTHER to watch the 1st halves. Why bother?

In fact, the next year - we played GB in the opener and I didn't even bother with checking the score until halftime - knew it would be zero / zero and I think it was that or maybe GB had a FG.

Carroll was running the offense the way he wanted, it wasn't Wilson. And the way he wanted was the kind of crap nobody else wanted.
Yes it is "True at all", WITH Marshawn Lynch & a younger faster Russell Wilson, >PETE BALL< got us our FIRST ever Super Bowl win, and a follow up Super Bowl visit the following year, where a RUN THE BALL >MIGHT< well have gotten us our SECOND Lombardi, but with an errant PASS I guess we'll never know now will we?
Now that Russ is playing for the Donko's, maybe you and John63 can get reinvigorated by quitting on Pete ball and go watch Wilson work his magic in Denver....Just an idea.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That wasn't PETE ball.

Pete never played that stupid 'take the air out of the ball in the 1st quarter and don't worry about trying to score in the 1st half' until later. We were putting 3 TDs up against teams in the 1st quarter - watch the Buffalo game.

We didn't do that ridiculously stupid 'keep the game close and then win in the 4th' until later. We weren't trying to keep the game close, playing pattycake with field position, ok with FGs in the 1st half, and then every now and then taking these dumb moonshots.

Remember Pete was all about big plays back then, in combination with body shots all day wearing the other team down? Take shots, let the defense hold, and just keep the game close til the end.

NOBODY called the way we played the game during those SB runs PeteBall.

PeteBall is a derisive nickname given to the abysmally stupid style of play that Pete encouraged/cultivated. That was not Wilson. It wasn't called RussBall.

The Seahawks site FieldGulls did a big article about how these big critical plays were a KPI for success that Carroll seemed driven to achieve. He was the driver because it was HIS success metric he was driven to.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Here are some box scores after 3 quarters of play in RW's first 2 seasons.
(A little off-season reminiscing)
35-6, 47-17, 51-0, 20-7, 20-3, 16-0, 34-7, 26-10 and 38-10. All wins, all blowouts.

It seems you CAN win the game in the first, 2nd, 3rd quarter!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Here are some box scores after 3 quarters of play in RW's first 2 seasons.
(A little off-season reminiscing)
35-6, 47-17, 51-0, 20-7, 20-3, 16-0, 34-7, 26-10 and 38-10. All wins, all blowouts.

It seems you CAN win the game in the first, 2nd, 3rd quarter!

What is really noticeable isn't the high end, but the work done by the defense. Those are ridiculous numbers. And don't forget, some of numbers on the offensive side were put there by the defense.

16-20 points isn't enough to win a lot of football games these days, but when your defense throws a shutout, it's enough. Barely.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I had to revisit this topic. After seeing some absolute boneheaded plays all year from Russ as a Bronco, it’s apparent he wasn’t sabotaging the Hawks but rather just playing bad especially mentally.

In yesterday’s game he again totally messed up by not keeping the clock running giving the Raiders a chance to get the ball back with plenty of time to drive down the field. Even his coach said we need to keep the clock running, even if we took a sack there. It’s just mind boggling how much he has regressed not only physically, but especially mentally.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Wh is this a topic? People have lost their minds with this Wilson stuff....
Reason:

1- the topic goes back to last years play and was a look back to see if it was true

2- Hawks get 1st and 2nd round picks from them

Also, how have people lost their minds with this? He was the qb of what I’m hoping is your favorite team for a decade. If you don’t agree with the topic then why respond at all?