NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pehawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":24msyijf said:
pehawk":24msyijf said:
G'Damn I missed Ved's basketball posts. Back in the day, before Throwdown, you were the ONLY persons hoops opinion I respected. I forgot all about that until you started posting in this thread.

What the hell? You respect Throwdown?

Hoops opinions only.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":3srz8ac4 said:
JSeahawks":3srz8ac4 said:
pehawk":3srz8ac4 said:
G'Damn I missed Ved's basketball posts. Back in the day, before Throwdown, you were the ONLY persons hoops opinion I respected. I forgot all about that until you started posting in this thread.

What the hell? You respect Throwdown?

Hoops opinions only.

I bet throwdown cant even throw it down. Love the kid for his passion, but still think he's Michael Bolton.

[youtube]GKlDBi0cyIA[/youtube]

Throwdown

Reaction score
HOLLYWOOD":1yv0hoh5 said:
Just add a damn expansion team and be done with it..

Besides, an expansion teams talent isn't that far removed from the Kings roster..

It'd also be less work, you could build the team you want when you're starting from scratch.

Throwdown

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2vfk8dzb said:
I bet throwdown cant even throw it down. Love the kid for his passion, but still think he's Michael Bolton.

Haven't been able since HS :( thanks for bringing me down, jerk

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Throwdown":38ju7ok9 said:
JSeahawks":38ju7ok9 said:

Haven't been able since HS :( thanks for bringing me down, jerk

Hey, i'm 6'3" and have never dunked on a 10 foot hoop in my life. I've got the vertical of an old Arvidas Sabonis.

HOLLYWOOD

Reaction score
pehawk":25pjsl1p said:
I'd love to see Sabonis and Duckworth fight.

I'd take Duckworth in the 3rd.. TKO

Both were actually serviceable big men..

Had Sabonis came over earlier in his career I think he could have been an All Star.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HOLLYWOOD":1h9c0ci8 said:
pehawk":1h9c0ci8 said:

Had Sabonis came over earlier in his career I think he could have been an All Star.

He woudl have been more then an all star he would have been an NBA MVP. By the time he got here his legs were already shot, unfortunatly. Still had amazing game though.

RIP Kevin Duckworth.

HOLLYWOOD

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3ptk3hvb said:
HOLLYWOOD":3ptk3hvb said:
pehawk":3ptk3hvb said:

He woudl have been more then an all star he would have been an NBA MVP. By the time he got here his legs were already shot, unfortunatly. Still had amazing game though.

RIP Kevin Duckworth.

I know Sabonis was a beast when he was younger. Really could do it all as a big man. A rare combo for sure.

Duckworth was a pain in my ass as a Laker fan. Those late 80s early 90s Blazer teams were tough to deal with.

vedthree

Reaction score
The Outfield":1pzcisqi said:
E.C. Laloosh":1pzcisqi said:
H/B/N will do what they can and beyond that, there is nothing left to do. NHL wouldn't be enough to get them to build the arena would it? I wouldn't mind watching some hockey while we wait.

I don't think so. Most NHL teams don't bring anywhere near the profits of NBA teams.

I really don't know if this is the case. I checked Wikipedia, and was surprised to learn that the majority of NHL teams don't share an arena with the NBA - New Jersey, the Islanders, Buffalo, Pittsburg, Carolina, Tampa, the Panthers, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Phoenix, San Jose, Anaheim and all of the Canadian teams play in NHL-only arenas (or just share with Arena League Football or NCAA Basketball).

My understanding is that Hansen had his sights set on the NBA for personal reasons - he's a Sonics fan and passionate about it. He wasn't going after the NHL not because it wasn't profitable, but because he has no knowledge/passion/connections with the sport. Hansen's plan was to secure the NBA and then let another group that was passionate about the NHL worry about securing a team to share the arena with.

I think that's the big problem - In order to make $$$, the group that constructs the building also has to own/operate at least one of the franchises that play in it. Hansen has the ability to build the arena, but no desire to own NHL. The Chicago guy has the desire for NHL, but unless there's an existing arena he can lease he can't build one without help (i.e., public subsidies - which aren't happening here)

I honestly don't know where that leaves the NHL situation - I suppose it might be possible for Hansen & the NHL guy to work something out separately and get the arena built. And that may be something Hansen's now interested in doing if he thinks it will help him land an NBA team (or if he plans on going ahead and purchasing the Kings and pulling a Clay Bennett in Sacto).

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hansen/Ballmer will not pursue an arena or the NHL without NBA. They won't build an arena without an NBA team and without the arena there is no NHL

vedthree

Reaction score
pehawk":qayzn5p9 said:

I've been so bitter about the Sonics my interest in the NBA just evaporated. I was house-sitting a friend's condo down in Lower Queen Anne this Winter and had to walk by the Key every frickin' day ... damn that hurt. Started watching some of the playoffs this year and realized I had no clue about half the players/teams.

Even if we get the Sonics back, I know I'll go to games and cheer, but I don't know if I will ever care like I did before (it's like having that first love rip your heart out, and in every future relationship you carry a bit of that cynicism to keep from getting hurt again)

BUT, I have a 2-yr old son and I want him to have a local team to love like I got to have growing up. I'm going to live vicariously through him.

pehawk

Reaction score
I follow the playoffs, but as you said, it's hard to really KNOW the league without a team. Well, at least if you have a family and other priorities.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
vedthree":332mnj7u said:
pehawk":332mnj7u said:

I've been so bitter about the Sonics my interest in the NBA just evaporated. I was house-sitting a friend's condo down in Lower Queen Anne this Winter and had to walk by the Key every frickin' day ... damn that hurt. Started watching some of the playoffs this year and realized I had no clue about half the players/teams.

Even if we get the Sonics back, I know I'll go to games and cheer, but I don't know if I will ever care like I did before (it's like having that first love rip your heart out, and in every future relationship you carry a bit of that cynicism to keep from getting hurt again)

BUT, I have a 2-yr old son and I want him to have a local team to love like I got to have growing up. I'm going to live vicariously through him.

I'm in the same boat. I watch some of the playoffs every year and often find myself asking, "Who the hell is that?". I wonder which way I'm going to swing if they come back. Am I going to be as passionate as I was before? Am I going to love the game even more because I realized how much I loved it after they left? I don't know. But I'd love the chance to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.