NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throwdown

Reaction score
lol Y'all wanna know a stupid dream I was close to chasing?

I was looking into getting into school for marketing to try and catch a job with the team when they moved here, I dream BIG.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr 35m
From source in Sacramento "It appears Seattle has an appetite to make this ugly. That Ballmer is pissed enough to force a vote on the sale."

Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr 31m
Sac source: "Only move that could alter the ultimate direction of the Kings 4 next season would be a new deal blowing Sac out of the water."

Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr 30m
Same source in Sac says "I'm hearing the Sac group is tapped out."

RAISE DAT BID.

salamander

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3fdgzgai said:
"Hello Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

do you really think your statement, immediately after the emotional gut punch, was "innocuous"? Either youre not sure of what that word means, or far from sensitive to the massive amounts of Sonics fans on this board and how frustrated and angry we all are at this moment. I think its you who wasnt doing your city any favors. You came on here to gloat. and whether you intended to or not came off arrogantly. you cant be that naive, and if you are, well, welcome to .net.

I apologize if my comments came across as gloating, aggressive, combative etc. That was not my intention. I was just trying to defend Sacramento and the committee's decision without attacking Seattle. I love Seattle. If I could pick any city in the US to live I would want to live in Seattle. It's a great town, and it deserves a basketball team no doubt. Having said that, I guess reading these comments here makes me defensive because you guys want to take my basketball team away. While it's clearly not a black and white decision, there are many valid reasons to keep the Kings in Sacramento, and many valid reasons the committee's recommendation was the right one. I think it should be much harder to move a team than keep it where it is. I think the Kings problems are because of very bad management, not a bad market, and I think it should take more than just a few years of bad attendance to move a team that has traditionally had some of the best attendance in the NBA. Seattle got really screwed when the Sonics were taken away, but you are not being screwed this time, and Sacramento hasn't won anything here, we're just keeping what is already ours.

Throwdown

Reaction score
The Outfield":182taqn8 said:
Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr 35m
From source in Sacramento "It appears Seattle has an appetite to make this ugly. That Ballmer is pissed enough to force a vote on the sale."

Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr 31m
Sac source: "Only move that could alter the ultimate direction of the Kings 4 next season would be a new deal blowing Sac out of the water."

Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr 30m
Same source in Sac says "I'm hearing the Sac group is tapped out."

RAISE DAT BID.

Why not go down swinging if we do.

$600 MILLION LETS GO!!!

seahawk2k

Reaction score
We're getting screwed because we lost out to a far inferior offer in every way, shape or form. We lost because Stern decided Sacramento wasn't leaving, a luxury we were not afforded. Sacramento offered a flimsy, financially limited ownership group and an arena deal built on funny money.

You should realize you were given a gift and thank your lucky stars, Sacramento didn't earn this, despite what your mayor insists.

Btw, our 41 years of outstanding fan support didn't matter, so why should yours?

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
MAKE IT RAIN

tumblr_m7zwncbyn41qalk92.gif

rix98

Reaction score
I think this 'initial' decision was driven by two factors

1. Maloofs made stern look bad by agreeing to the non-binding arena deal in 2012. If the situation was as is today with other owners that were respected, I think they would have been approved by the relocation committee.

2. It is harder to move a team from a city that has a group and funds to buy the team as well as have a plan in place for a new downtown arena. When it comes to location of the teams, it can not all just focus on the larger markets as the main argument for moving them...even if it is logical.

I also read some comments around the 30 mil that Hanson/Balmer paid the Maloofs and what happens to that money if they are not approved for anything. Last I read, Stern was working with the Sacramento group to be prepared to pay H&B the $30 mil back in a separate transaction.

I am a 49er fan, but I love Seattle and this whole situation sucks. I want it to be finalized one way or another. If you don't get the Kings, then I hope Stern is lining you up for the Bucks. Keep you heads up, don't fold and keep willing to fight for what you want!

salamander

Reaction score
seahawk2k":3p2rbe1k said:
We're getting screwed because we lost out to a far inferior offer in every way, shape or form. We lost because Stern decided Sacramento wasn't leaving, a luxury we were not afforded. Sacramento offered a flimsy, financially limited ownership group and an arena deal built on funny money.

You should realize you were given a gift and thank your lucky stars, Sacramento didn't earn this, despite what your mayor insists.

Btw, our 41 years of outstanding fan support didn't matter, so why should yours?

You were screwed big time and fan support should matter. It was BS how you were treated. But how does it benefit anyone if that precedence is used as excuse to screw over other fans moving forward?
Its bad for fans and for the NBA if fans can't trust that their team will remain in their city. It's also bad precedence when an owner can simply neglect / mismanage a team and then use lack of support as an excuse to move the team.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
salamander":2umvxpgs said:
seahawk2k":2umvxpgs said:

You were screwed big time and fan support should matter. It was BS how you were treated. But how does it benefit anyone if that precedence is used as excuse to screw over other fans moving forward?
Its bad for fans and for the NBA if fans can't trust that their team will remain in their city. It's also bad precedence when an owner can simply neglect / mismanage a team and then use lack of support as an excuse to move the team.

Hmmmm.......kinda what Clay did to our Sonics the last 3 years they were here?

HOLLYWOOD

Reaction score
I can see why Sonics fans are pissed.

You lose your team to a schemer. Who moves them to OKC based only upon the attendance at displaced Hornets.

You have a great potential owner for the Kings and are forthright with your intentions to move the team to Seattle.

And the NBA and Stern say no citing minority ownership issues.

I'd be pissed too. Your getting bent forward by the Thunder and backwards by the Kings deals.

And as a Laker fan, just know we at least have the commonality of thinking David Stern is a douche.

Give it time Sonics fans. The Bobcats and Pelicans will be prime for the taking soon imo. Tom Benson isn't getting any younger either.

salamander

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1iavla88 said:
salamander":1iavla88 said:

I agree with you completely that you were screwed over big time. The Sonics should never have been allowed to leave Seattle. Where I disagree is using that as an excuse to screw over more people including myself who have invested so much money, emotion, passion in supporting the Sacramento Kings.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
salamander":yxa98wqe said:
Blitzer88":yxa98wqe said:
salamander":yxa98wqe said:

I agree with you completely that you were screwed over big time. The Sonics should never have been allowed to leave Seattle. Where I disagree is using that as an excuse to screw over more people including myself who have invested so much money, emotion, passion in supporting the Sacramento Kings.

Scrwing people over is the only way to get a team, and we want one.

salamander

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":3vuub7a7 said:
salamander":3vuub7a7 said:

Because that's the only way to get a team, and we want one.

Fair enough...I understand it's nothing personal...As a Sacramento fan I hope you fail with the Kings, but succeed with one of the 9 teams with a smaller market than Sacramento. If Seattle does end up with the Kings, Sacramento would take your place as the largest market in the country without a team.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
salamander":10h45d16 said:
TheRealDTM":10h45d16 said:
salamander":10h45d16 said:

Because that's the only way to get a team, and we want one.

Fair enough...I understand it's nothing personal...As a Sacramento fan I hope you fail with the Kings, but succeed with one of the 9 teams with a smaller market than Sacramento. If Seattle does end up with the Kings, Sacramento would take your place as the largest market in the country without a team.

Yep. Nothing Personal At All.

We should honestly all focus our frustrations at the NBA instead of each other.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
salamander":3t98mvki said:
Uncle Si":3t98mvki said:
"Hello Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

do you really think your statement, immediately after the emotional gut punch, was "innocuous"? Either youre not sure of what that word means, or far from sensitive to the massive amounts of Sonics fans on this board and how frustrated and angry we all are at this moment. I think its you who wasnt doing your city any favors. You came on here to gloat. and whether you intended to or not came off arrogantly. you cant be that naive, and if you are, well, welcome to .net.

I apologize if my comments came across as gloating, aggressive, combative etc. That was not my intention. I was just trying to defend Sacramento and the committee's decision without attacking Seattle. I love Seattle. If I could pick any city in the US to live I would want to live in Seattle. It's a great town, and it deserves a basketball team no doubt. Having said that, I guess reading these comments here makes me defensive because you guys want to take my basketball team away. While it's clearly not a black and white decision, there are many valid reasons to keep the Kings in Sacramento, and many valid reasons the committee's recommendation was the right one. I think it should be much harder to move a team than keep it where it is. I think the Kings problems are because of very bad management, not a bad market, and I think it should take more than just a few years of bad attendance to move a team that has traditionally had some of the best attendance in the NBA. Seattle got really screwed when the Sonics were taken away, but you are not being screwed this time, and Sacramento hasn't won anything here, we're just keeping what is already ours.

Seattle was screwed here. I think if you objectively look at how Stern handled this from start to finish. The committee, for example, was never going to sign off on moving the Kings once they came up with funding. And Stern left the door open long past agreed deadlines. He did not do that with Seattle. In fact, the two situations were almost identical until the very end, where Sacramentos bid to keep the team was accepted by Stern, while Seattles was not. Stern got what he wanted, a new arena. in reality, Sacramentos fan base got used as much as Seattles investors here.

Ive said in numerous threads that I hate taking another city's team. But thats the only way to get one. I dont blame you for being happy your team is staying. I just think this is the wrong thread to engage in reasons why. If that makes sense. you cant win. Ask peaches how much love he gets on here just by trying to talk about his favorite team, the Thunder, on the court? it doesnt go well.

You're more than welcome to keep trying to engage Sonics fans in rationale conversation... but you will struggle to get much agreement. im sure you can see why.

drdiags

Reaction score
The fact that the NBA got Sacramento to offer (tentatively) as much public funding for an arena adds to why they want to keep the team local. It helps other owners in the future when they need to extort money for their new arena deals. Would be a bad precedent.

Steve Rudman (cannot believe I am giving him kudos) laid out the reasoning nicely in his article.

http://sportspressnw.com/2150643/2013/march-9-the-key-date-in-the-sonics-soap

Stern had learned something else by March 9. He’d had ample time to digest one of the greatest offers for a franchise he and other NBA owners had seen, from men of vast wealth, potential owners any league would covet. But so phenomenal was their offer that they had unwittingly made Seattle more valuable to the NBA as a non-league city than as a league city.

Stern surely looked at Seattle and saw individuals so desperate for a team that they would go to historic financial lengths to get one. Stern, we figure, saw he could exploit such epic ankle grabbing. Turns out, Seattle could not have handed Stern a lovelier parting gift to his 30-year tenure as commissioner.

So if nothing changes in the next two weeks to bring a commitment of a team, Seattle will serve as the NBA’s default go-to city, a place other owners can use to their advantage when they bargain over leases in their own cities. Every league needs these hammers.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":6vy8c6kr said:
The fact that the NBA got Sacramento to offer (tentatively) as much public funding for an arena adds to why they want to keep the team local. It helps other owners in the future when they need to extort money for their new arena deals. Would be a bad precedent.

Steve Rudman (cannot believe I am giving him kudos) laid out the reasoning nicely in his article.

http://sportspressnw.com/2150643/2013/march-9-the-key-date-in-the-sonics-soap

I just don't agree it has that much effect. If the owner isn't willing to put in what Hansen does, they can easily threaten to move the team. Cities can't assume that if they wait long enough the NBA will somehow make a sweet deal for them because they won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts