NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snohomie

Reaction score
Most negotiating is leverage, at least at the political level. Each side reveals why the other side needs to capitulate, rather than actually trading concessions like you might expect.

I think some of that is going on here - Stern wanted the relocation committee only to make a recommendation because their decision is more detrimental to Hansen than the finance committee (I'd guess they are totally fine with Hansen because the money is good). Thus, Stern could use that to make Hansen scurry away with his tail between his legs (in return for a "maybe next time" sort of promise). Likewise with the unanimous vote of the committee (rumor is that the committee members were not all against Hansen, but they show a unified front).

Hansen has his own leverage, though. The more I read about this, the more it sounds like we're down 23-10 with 2 minutes remaining - but Russell Wilson is our quarterback. The smart money is that none of this works out well for us, but Hansen can leverage a bunch of unlikely-to-succeed events (going to the BoG directly, keeping the offer of buying the Kings even if relocation is denied, lawyers) that might get a decent concession from the NBA.

Really, though, Hansen and Stern are playing at Chess and the rest of us only know how to play Rock Paper Scissors.

pehawk

Reaction score
I really DONT get most of the local sports hosts saying going nuclear ISN'T the right option. It's really the only option. Something's really shady about the vote.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
pehawk":2wa8h7cb said:
I really DONT get most of the local sports hosts saying going nuclear ISN'T the right option. It's really the only option. Something's really shady about the vote.

That's my take, too. Something's awful shady about it. We went from what looked like a near-guarantee of getting it moved here to a unanimous 'no' in a few short weeks. My "something stinks in Denmark" senses are going off like Hamlet.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It is an option IMO! The local guys are talking to Stern's mouthpieces telling them that lawsuits are not the way to go! People sue for so much less than this fiasco! A lawsuit (or threat of) is the reason the Mariners exist today!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":130pq5wc said:
It is an option IMO! The local guys are talking to Stern's mouthpieces telling them that lawsuits are not the way to go! People sue for so much less than this fiasco! A lawsuit (or threat of) is the reason the Mariners exist today!

Any way we could go back and reverse the results of that lawsuit?

pinksheets

Reaction score
Bucks have a lease through the 16-17 season and have an owner who won't sell to someone looking to move the team, not going to happen. Not to mention, why would Hansen and Ballmer try to relocate another team when the precedent has been set that if a city draws an arena on a napkin, they get to pick out their own ownership group that gets the team if they can make an offer "in the same ballpark"?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I dunno, there are some really strange things happening right now. Hansen said he's not giving up and said he has a few options at his disposal. I think he's the right man to get something done. Something just doesn't add up with the "vote" and I'm not sure I'm ready to throw in the towel just yet.

The Outfield

Reaction score
If this Sonics thing completely fails, I wouldn't mind Hansen/Ballmer buying up the Mariners and bringing the team back to life.

pinksheets

Reaction score
mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 32s
I was told today that the Seattle ownership group has not ruled out ANY next move while they continue…

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 32s
…to try to get more information about what happened yesterday in the relocation meeting.

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 10s
Included in possibilities is continuing to attempt to purchase the team and operate it in Sacramento – although I have a difficult time…

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 23s
…visualizing that happening for several reasons.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pinksheets":1hwvyg5k said:
mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 10s
Included in possibilities is continuing to attempt to purchase the team and operate it in Sacramento – although I have a difficult time…

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 23s
…visualizing that happening for several reasons.

Seems like that would be the worst possible outcome for Seattle fans. Then you lose the Kings and you lose your potential Sonics owner.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Except they relocate them next year.

Owners are very rarely going to deny one another relocation into a superior market. I think what Stern has used as his argument here, and he carefully chose his words, was that an owner that has chosen to leave the league does not get to decide where that franchise will be playing. Not to mention, Stern would be gone come next April.

pinksheets

Reaction score
It could also be a power play to 1) dare the NBA to invalidate a perfectly valid, sound PSA, which has never been done before and has some serious antitrust implications, mostly for the selling parties or 2) more leverage for expansion.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
As an NBA fan but not a Sonics fan gotta be honest, I really hope they dont expand. If anything the league should shut down a few teams to give itself a better product.

I was hopeful the Kings would make it up to Seattle though.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 9m
NBA Commissioner David Stern, appearing on the Charlie Rose show tonight, calls Steve Ballmer a "Perfect Prototype for an NBA Owner"...

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 8m
...but, Stern says, (paraphrasing now) Sacramento came through with plan, and a group, and that's why the committee made the recommendation.

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 6m
Adam Silver "I think some people are surprised at the preliminary decision the relocation committee has made..."

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 5m
Silver (cont) "..because they say well but look at Seattle. There are more corporate headquarters, There's more TV households..."

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 4m
Silver "..there's the potential to generate more revenue there? Shouldn't you move a franchise to the market where there is more revenue?"

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 3m
Adam Silver: "Our response is not necessarily..."

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 2m
Silver: "...that if you look at total value over time and brand building and community support that continuity is important." #NBAKings

pinksheets

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2mx24pgz said:
As an NBA fan but not a Sonics fan gotta be honest, I really hope they dont expand. If anything the league should shut down a few teams to give itself a better product.

I was hopeful the Kings would make it up to Seattle though.
Well the odds of contraction are extremely small, so just put up with it and let us have one extra team. We'll still take the Kings, though, if you prefer. :mrgreen:

JOz56

Reaction score
pinksheets":s9876vxg said:
Silver: "...that if you look at total value over time and brand building and community support that continuity is important." #NBAKings

"Unless you're Seattle in 2008 with 41 years of support. Then screw you."

What a freakin joke.

The Outfield

Reaction score
pinksheets":36z4rlhv said:
Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 9m
NBA Commissioner David Stern, appearing on the Charlie Rose show tonight, calls Steve Ballmer a "Perfect Prototype for an NBA Owner"...

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 8m
...but, Stern says, (paraphrasing now) Sacramento came through with plan, and a group, and that's why the committee made the recommendation.

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 6m
Adam Silver "I think some people are surprised at the preliminary decision the relocation committee has made..."

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 5m
Silver (cont) "..because they say well but look at Seattle. There are more corporate headquarters, There's more TV households..."

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 4m
Silver "..there's the potential to generate more revenue there? Shouldn't you move a franchise to the market where there is more revenue?"

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 3m
Adam Silver: "Our response is not necessarily..."

Uh... WTF? lol

Sigh, looks like Stern has had too much time to make Silver his brainwashed pet.

Status
Not open for further replies.