If Seattle loses all games before BYE

Rosco

Reaction score
Hypothetically, if Seattle, loses all games before the BYE, there’s going to be some hard conversations (or maybe not so hard) but would you be all for a coaching change? And/or a quarterback change?

I feel like Seattle wants to address the quarterback position in 2024 and I for one, don’t think Drew Lock, is the successor.

You don’t keep a talented QB on the bench. If Lock is so talented, there would be no questions, he would outplay Geno all the time. And Lock would already be the starter. Hence, Lock’s level of talent is only a backup player, in this league.

I personally think, if Seattle goes 4-13 this year, a first round QB, is definitely a real possibility.

There are some good QB prospects coming up in the 2024 Draft that has more appeal than the 2023 Draft.

Penix, would probably be in range for Seattle, should, the Seahawks, finish around 4-14 to 7-10 this year.

Hell, Shadeur Sanders, may be in reach of Seattle picking next year.

I can’t say I’m not worried about Seattle not winning any games before the bye, cause, week 1, showed a lot of flaws with this team and the coaching it has had.

No wins before the bye is a genuine concern.
Lock is more talented than Smith. Geno Smiths time with the team prior to Lock being there carried more weight then talent.

Seak

Reaction score
I don't see them losing against Carolina but I figure 1-3 is about right. If they can't get their pass rush right I see a 5-12 season.
Agreed, I think this sunday will tell all though. Personally I think the Lions will roll... BUT the hawks have been so unpredictable over the years.
If they look just as bad as they did in the rams game thatll be the nail in the coffin for pete carrol IMO

Vesuve

Reaction score
If they lost all 4 games before the bye, it certainly would put Pete on the hot seat. I'd personally be pretty upset and embarrassed as a fan after all the hype of the off-season and the draft picks.
Hot seat? Me think not.

He's under contract...and Jody.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Last year PC was in the running for coach of the year, and Geno won comebak player of the year. One game later and everyone about getting rid of both of them. If we are 0-4 at the bye questions need ot be asked why that is the case. If it is down to drafting / trades there is nothing we can do about it until the offseason anyway. If it is down to coaching, we need to ask why the coaching is so much worse than last season can Pete learn from the losses or did he turn from a great coach to a has been in 8 months? If it is Geno, again why is he so much worse than last year?

I doubt we could get much of an improvement at QB mid season, we could try Lock (or even Ahlers) out but I think we have seen enough to know that is very unlikely to succeed. Who would we get in a trade? What would we need to give up to get someone like Brissett and would that be an upgrade on Geno?

I can't see Pete going before the end of the season or at least the effective end of the season when the playoffs are impossible. Most likely he would be allowed to "Retire" so he can save face after a brilliant tenure overall.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Hot seat? Me think not.

He's under contract...and Jody.
You really think Pete is untouchable this year? Even if things go really south?

I never said he'd be fired before the season ended, but if things go south this year I totally expect drastic changes after the season.

Seak

Reaction score
Last year PC was in the running for coach of the year, and Geno won comebak player of the year. One game later and everyone about getting rid of both of them. If we are 0-4 at the bye questions need ot be asked why that is the case. If it is down to drafting / trades there is nothing we can do about it until the offseason anyway. If it is down to coaching, we need to ask why the coaching is so much worse than last season can Pete learn from the losses or did he turn from a great coach to a has been in 8 months? If it is Geno, again why is he so much worse than last year?

I doubt we could get much of an improvement at QB mid season, we could try Lock (or even Ahlers) out but I think we have seen enough to know that is very unlikely to succeed. Who would we get in a trade? What would we need to give up to get someone like Brissett and would that be an upgrade on Geno?

I can't see Pete going before the end of the season or at least the effective end of the season when the playoffs are impossible. Most likely he would be allowed to "Retire" so he can save face after a brilliant tenure overall.
If you factor in the end stretch of last year the wheels started coming off.
100% agree with you that pete isn't going anywhere this year, but I've been a big Pete supporter in my friend group and even I want some change barring a mircale this year.
He deserves the year, deserves a dignified exit... but it really needs to happen, cause something isn't right

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
Even if things go entirely south I hope he at least plays out the season. I don't like coaches getting fired midseason.

But I'm just a guy on the internet.

Seak

Reaction score
The chicken little sky is falling attitude on these forum amazes me.

The Seattle Seahawks will be fine. This team under PC/JS usually finds a way to be competitive. R-E-L-A-X.
Well see dude. For some reason it feels different , or the same lol , then the past years.
Truth be told the Rams always give us tough games, even when Fisher was the hc lol
I just gotta see something different with the lions game to change my gut feeling
Heart attack hawks right? Lets hope they wake up on sunday!

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Steve Young sucked on the Bucs. And then was not able to take the starting job when he was signed to another team.

Check this out: 3-8 TD/INT ratio in '85, 8-13 TD/INT ratio in 1986. If the interwebz had existed back then you know the 49er forums would be trashing him and wanting their team to draft Montana's replacement rather than hope for anything from this schmuck.

It's not a bad thing to be developing a young, talented QB. Even when his previous team didn't have a clue how to develop one.
Thank you for the correction, I completely forgot about the Bucs! Still upset we’re not doing throwback day vs them this season.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
That’s easy. We trade two firsts for a Blitzing LB/S and use him in coverage. And then in the draft we pick rb’s and undersized Sparky defenders.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Pete's earned enough good will that he won't be fired with a slow start or during the season. If the team looks uncompetitive after that massive haul for Russ and the same issues that have been plaguing the team persist all season, I would hope Jody has it in her to make tough decisions.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The chicken little sky is falling attitude on these forum amazes me.

The Seattle Seahawks will be fine. This team under PC/JS usually finds a way to be competitive. R-E-L-A-X.
You know, I would say the same thing but Seattle starts off with slow starts for years now and not something to be accepting of.

Because when Seattle does to hit their stride, it’s usually around week 7-9 and by then, it’s very difficult to retain divisional lead.

You can think of it as a “cone” shape over the course of the 16/17 game seasons, Seattle does bad for at least 1.5 months during the beginning of the year, hardly catching momentum, and then they start to show some signs of life and play relatively well, and then they start to fizzle down the stretch. Hence, a “cone” shape for all you math fans that like graphs.

That’s not great.

And it has been this way for going on 6-8 years now.

It’s like the beginning of the season, few early weeks, they don’t have an identity, like, at all.

What was the identity week 1, run the ball okay, but decide the throw the ball more only to get totally hammered by a pass rush? And then on defense, no pass rush and crossing routes abuse linebackers consistently?

What’s Seattle identity? Get abused on defense? And get no where on offense?

The no rhythm for going on 6 seasons now in the beginning of the year is very concerning and tiresome.

I don’t want to wait until week 6 to week 9 to generate some consistency cause also every year around week 12-13 Seattle starts to fizzle out and cannot sustain great offense or defense.

If you remember last season, Geno, did well during the middle of the season but towards the end stretch, he started to not play as well and the defense was in pieces as well.

This is not new, this has been a trend, consistent trend.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Lock is more talented than Smith. Geno Smiths time with the team prior to Lock being there carried more weight then talent.
Is he really though? Both went around the same time in the draft, Geno going before Lock. Smith also had a better 40 time and has a pretty good arm. He was more successful in college too. Don’t know if you can really make the “more talented” argument there.

Geno Smith won the competition because he is the better player.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Since the draft, my thought was that this team was going to have a hard beginning to the season. First reason being the all new defensive line that has never played together before. Second reason being the two undersized NT's right up the middle. That said, I'll go with...

No - On the mid season coaching change.
When Pete Carroll first came to Seattle from USC, my observation was that he seemed to have an advantage in bringing in good young talent, and mainly because he had a better understanding of who all the good players in the PAC-12 Conference were at the time. Pete had either coached them, or coached against them all, first hand. Fast forward to today, and I'd like to see the Hawks kind of replicate that formula again by bringing in a championship caliber coach from the SEC, but acquiring one of those coaches mid season is not going to happen.

Yes - On a possible quarterback change.
Geno Smith's game one 112 yard performance just about made me want to vomit. Granted we lost both starting offensive tackles to begin the second half, and everybody knew the Rams pass rush was FULL ON at that point, but no effective dump off passes to running backs? Maybe his TD to INT ratio is good, but people who site that statistic forget about all of Geno's fumbles last season. Drew Lock is at least worth taking a look if at some point it becomes obvious the Hawks just are not a post season caliber team; he's more mature now, and his pre-season performance was good.

Iffy - On a mid season DC change.
Clint Hurtt is a very likeable football personality & he's a really good speaker, but I don't like his frail 3-4 scheme, and the beginning to his career as a Defensive Coordinator has been painful to watch. Giving up 426 yards at home, to a Rams team without Cooper Kupp, and a bunch of no-name players on their roster was really bad. I know it's generally considered seasonal suicide to change schemes mid season, and I don't know who else might be available out there, but if you can't get the personnel for this scheme after two years then my feeling is you have to go another direction.

Yeah, I know DC wasn't one of the questions being asked. I just wanted to toss it in there anyways. That's my brain on 🏈!

Last edited:

Rosco

Reaction score
Is he really though? Both went around the same time in the draft, Geno going before Lock. Smith also had a better 40 time and has a pretty good arm. He was more successful in college too. Don’t know if you can really make the “more talented” argument there.

Geno Smith won the competition because he is the better player.
Yes. i Don’t care about 40 times, neither was drafted to be WR/RB

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Yes. i Don’t care about 40 times, neither was drafted to be WR/RB
Well, you said he was more talented, clearly Geno Smith is at least on par, if not better than Lock athletically. Lock might edge Geno out in arm strength but even there Geno has a pretty good arm.

Geno Smith has better raw measurables in athleticism, more college wins, better college stats, was a heisman candidate and was drafted before Lock.

Explain to me how Lock is more “talented” than Geno? Let’s not forget he lost a QB competition to him, in addition to that his 2022 campaign is far and away better than anything Lock has ever done.

Where is this “talent” you keep talking about?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
An unsuccessful season is cause for concern, what happens or what doesn't happen before the bye isn't as important..........other than in the context of not having a shot at making the playoffs again.

Which I assume was the organizational goal of ownership and the staff. To improve upon last year's WC roster.

You guys keep wanting to compartmentalize the team's success, like something would happen if we went 0-4 before the bye, or 2-6, or whatever you think is the Mason Dixon line to a coaching change.

There is no Mason Dixon line until after each season. That's when ownership would review and make the hard decisions about the direction of the franchise. Bad organizations fire coaches after 0-4, or mid season.

That's not the relationship Pete and Jody have. She would give him the rest of this season to right the ship..........and if not? THAT'S when a change would be made. Or not.

Certainly not an 0-4 start, that's not happening. As much as some of you would love it.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Well, you said he was more talented, clearly Geno Smith is at least on par, if not better than Lock athletically. Lock might edge Geno out in arm strength but even there Geno has a pretty good arm.

Geno Smith has better raw measurables in athleticism, more college wins, better college stats, was a heisman candidate and was drafted before Lock.

Explain to me how Lock is more “talented” than Geno? Let’s not forget he lost a QB competition to him, in addition to that his 2022 campaign is far and away better than anything Lock has ever done.

Where is this “talent” you keep talking about?
If memory serves me,

Geno Smith did not beat out Drew Lock for the starting QB position.
Drew Lock acquired Covid, and was forbidden to compete for the position that season.

chris98251

Reaction score
None of those guys had trouble starting on one team before losing a qb competition on another.

Edit: completely forgot Young started on Bucs, he’s so imprinted as a Niner.
Dont forget him being the highest paid player in the WFL or USFL for a couple seasons for the LA Express, they folded if I remember opening the door for him to go to the 49ers.