Jets have agreement in principle to trade Darrelle Revis

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Rat":2limm8dw said:
Who do you think they could have gotten at #13 that would be better for them than Revis?

I think a lot of people would argue that someone of Tavon Austin's caliber on a rookie deal is worth more than Revis at $16 million/year. I look at it like they're giving up a Tavon Austin type player, a potential All-Pro free agent (from loss of cap space), and another potential starter (third rounder) for a 27 year old cornerback coming off major knee surgery.

Rat

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":fbtilr23 said:
Its more about the money they're paying him than the draft capital. And I don't really think they can win with Freeman. He's a bottom 10 starting QB that looked pretty good his rookie year but hasn't really gotten any better imo
Tampa has been ungodly amounts of money under the cap in recent years, so I don't see Revis holding the team hostage cap-wise. If they have trouble paying guys later is because the team has gotten good and has a lot more great players than they've had in recent years. All things considered, that's not a bad problem to have.

I expected Freeman to make bigger steps forward last year, but I think he's proven to be more than capable. That'll be a problem if he doesn't continue to improve though.

Rat

Reaction score
DavidSeven":jsvuuewu said:
Rat":jsvuuewu said:
Who do you think they could have gotten at #13 that would be better for them than Revis?

I think a lot of people would argue that someone of Tavon Austin's caliber on a rookie deal is worth more than Revis at $16 million/year. I look at it like they're giving up a Tavon Austin type player, a potential All-Pro free agent (from loss of cap space), and another potential starter (third rounder) for a 27 year old cornerback coming off major knee surgery.

Coming off of knee surgery is the only part of this I see as a gamble. If his knee holds, Revis at 27 >>>>>>>>> Tavon Austin at 22. It's not even close. Being out for most of last year has made people forget how unbelievable of a player a healthy Revis is.

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
two first round picks in the top 13, two bad for the jets there's no really elite talent in the top ten

Subzero717

Reaction score
Rat":2sixxid6 said:
therealjohncarlson":2sixxid6 said:
Wow this is a franchise crippling move. What are the Bucs doing?
Getting an elite player at the position where they were weakest last year.

At 16 million a year its crippling. I see this lasting maybe two seaons.

pehawk

Reaction score
It's not crippling. Like Rat said, TB has tons of cash and no one pressing in FA...aside from Freeman.

mikeak

Reaction score
1) he is worth the picks - he passed the physical

2) No guaranteed is huge

3) I still don't know if one CB can be worth more money than lots of starting quarterbacks. Now I think with the other Tampa moves he will fit in very well by I really question the value.

4) Cap wise. Sure they were $23 million under the cap but look at the below from two weeks ago. They just blew the whole extra they had. Not sure how things look for next year but I would expect it gets tough. If Freeman has a good year then it gets much tougher as well...

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Current contracts: 48
Previous year carryover: $23,519,353.00
Adjustments: $1,968,600.00
Adjusted cap: $146,087,953.00
Team cap: $127,735,458.00
Cap room: $18,352,495.00
Team cash: $127,362,707.00