Why the hate for Luck?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think he seems a good guy (very sporting) and I reckon he will have a decent career. He looks to be a bit wet (the talk with Manning at the pro bowl was embarrassing) but he plays the game in the right way as far as I can see.

It seems though that everyone wants to see him crushed next week. What gives?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I think there's a bit of a QB inferiority complex here in that he only needs to perform averagely to earn rave reviews; as seen last year, whereas Russ earned his plaudits yet was still lurking in Luck's shadows for the most part.

It's a shame, as you say he's a good QB, and likely has a very good future, we should be ecstatic enough we've got Wilson without feeling the need to put down Luck to reinforce this, but we do; I'll admit I enjoy seeing Luck sucking it up. We all want Russ to be the best QB out of that draft.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Pretty sure for a lot of people it's the media junk-slurping that was going on for the YEAR-AND-A-HALF prior to him being drafted, and then just as much slurping all of last year on top of that.

It's the same reason everyone hates Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On; overexposure and excessive praise to the extreme.

Plus, watching the Colts tank to get Peyton Manning, then 14 years later, tanking again to get Luck, I find it a bit annoying.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I don't follow the college game overly closely so wasnt aware of that. Have to admit tanking your team to get the number 1 draft seems to be against the spirit of the game and sport in general.

I can understand how as Wilson fans can look at those other quarterbacks and feel a bit miffed. I personally was more annoyed with the media infatuation with RG3 when I thought RW3 was the much better player.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3aicqkpc said:
I don't follow the college game overly closely so wasnt aware of that. Have to admit tanking your team to get the number 1 draft seems to be against the spirit of the game and sport in general.

I can understand how as Wilson fans can look at those other quarterbacks and feel a bit miffed. I personally was more annoyed with the media infatuation with RG3 when I thought RW3 was the much better player.

The Colts didn't tank. Lots of people like to think they did, but they didn't.

They were a poorly-built team, one that was wholly dependent on Manning's excellence - on both sides of the ball. Once that level of QB play was gone, the team fell apart.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
UK, I'm talking about the NFL media loving Luck for a full year before the draft. It was unseemly. I don't follow college ball or news whatsoever.

volsunghawk":2oe4bcrx said:

They were a poorly-built team, one that was wholly dependent on Manning's excellence - on both sides of the ball. Once that level of QB play was gone, the team fell apart.
IDK, call me skeptical on it a bit. Colts had multiple winning seasons before a horrible season to get Peyton, same thing with Luck. I completely agree that Peyton is the best "carry the team" QB in the league, but down the tail stretch of the last few games for the Colts in 2011, I would not be surprised at all if some of the play calling or scheming was a little...Lax.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3bw0v7o1 said:
volsunghawk":3bw0v7o1 said:

IDK, call me skeptical on it a bit. Colts had multiple winning seasons before a horrible season to get Peyton, same thing with Luck. I completely agree that Peyton is the best "carry the team" QB in the league, but down the tail stretch of the last few games for the Colts in 2011, I would not be surprised at all if some of the play calling or scheming was a little...Lax.

The Colts had a handful of 9-7 seasons scattered throughout their previous 20 years while posting some truly dreadful records in between, with QBs like Jeff George and Jim Harbaugh "leading" them. Their 9-7 season that preceded the 3-13 year that allowed them to draft Manning is a year they were outscored by 17 points. The team was consistently at the middle of the pack or below when it came to both offense and defense, points and yards. This was not a "good" team that tanked to get the #1 pick. It was a below average team that caught a few lucky breaks in a couple of seasons, and didn't catch them in 1997.

As for 2011, they actually played BETTER near the end of the season, winning 2 of their last 3. 7 of the 14 games they lost were by 8 points or less. That team TRIED, but they were just too dependent on transcendent QB play and the defense was designed to protect a lead. And I'm sorry, but no front office and coaching staff will actively try to sabotage their team's success because their jobs are DIRECTLY tied to that success. Caldwell, Polian, and his kid all paid the price for that 2-14 season. And before you trot out Cleveland as an example of tanking, I completely disagree that they are tanking. Cleveland has a completely new regime who needs to build the football team they want to field, rather than the one the previous regime fielded. But they're trying to stay competitive while maximizing what they can get for assets they feel are expendable (and perhaps more valuable to other teams). If the Browns were tanking, you'd see Joe Haden, Jordan Cameron, and Joe Thomas on the trade block (they're not).

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
"No front office and coaching staff will actively try to sabotage their team's success" sounds too much like "No front office and coaching staff would ever have a bounty system for enemy offensive players", or "No front office and coaching staff would ever be involved with illegal activity to strengthen their team", both of which have happened.

Let's just agree to disagree. Also, I'm not saying the Colts tanked, I'm saying I think there's a realistic chance that some key person on the team may have contributed to it a bit. A far cry from the your implied team-wide conspiracy.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1m7icxh7 said:
"No front office and coaching staff will actively try to sabotage their team's success" sounds too much like "No front office and coaching staff would ever have a bounty system for enemy offensive players", or "No front office and coaching staff would ever be involved with illegal activity to strengthen their team", both of which have happened.

Let's just agree to disagree. Also, I'm not saying the Colts tanked, I'm saying I think there's a realistic chance that some key person on the team may have contributed to it a bit. A far cry from the your implied team-wide conspiracy.

In those other examples, those are instances of front offices/coaches actively trying to improve a team's performance and results, not harm them.

I do, however, agree that there are actually two key people who were on the Colts who contributed to that 2-14 season. Bill Polian and Peyton Manning. Manning's absence and Polian's mismanagement were direct factors in the 2-14.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I want him crushed because the Seahawks play him on Sunday. Nothing personal.

razgriz737

Reaction score
I actually don't dislike Luck himself at all. What I don't like is how the media rode his jock the last 2 years.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":z91eonf6 said:
I think he seems a good guy (very sporting) and I reckon he will have a decent career. He looks to be a bit wet (the talk with Manning at the pro bowl was embarrassing) but he plays the game in the right way as far as I can see.

It seems though that everyone wants to see him crushed next week. What gives?
I don't hate Luck, I hate his Amish neckbeard!

HawkMeat

Reaction score

Laloosh

Reaction score
Is there really that much hate around here? I see a lot of jokes about the neck beard but I don't think there is a lot of "he sucks, i hope he dies" comments floating around. Solid QB who will likely be a really, really good QB for most of his career.

Hate him? No.
Hate that scary homemade neck scarf/fur? Yes.