Why no love for DK"

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Unless you happen to draw his anger for not joining lock step with EVERYTHING the dude says .." F" him
I'm aware of your reference (Rob Stanton? perhaps) I don't comment on his sight so I can enjoy watching his takes and draw my own conclusions...always looking to gain insight to better enjoy what my own eyes don't tell me. For "X"s and "O"s I drift over to Matty F.Brown( a UK Hawk fan)

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Ha ha gotta love passion on display...I'll offer a deeper take :

It amazes me how our fan base(well...at least some of it) ignors the value of having one of THE best WR corps in the NFL. The key to the NFL formula for TV ratings is not a squelching defence...shutting down an NFL offense is anathema to what the NFL has been altering/tinkering with rules for... upsetting the balance toward Offense while shading Defense. This isn't new news...Richard Sherman in his latter years with us complained openly that WR were being spoon fed by rule changes. Why does it seem like there are always good receivers to be had in the draft? Because your college athletes know the best shot at landing an NFL draft selection is via WR...so if your best football youth are flooding the talent pool of college WR...why not relish when your team has gathered from the cream of that talent pool?

Russell benefited from Lockett and DK as deep ball threats just as they benefited from having a creative QB to be elusive enough to allow those deep passing routes to bear fruit. What happened when RW was traded? Geno gained a reputation for deep (20 yds+) passing acumen. The common element?? Our dynamic WR room. Lockett's age is often sighted as the recent reason for him being so undervalued in recent years by "expert" pundits. Tyler is still dangerous in man coverage where the opponent is bracketing DK with double coverage hedging their bet that Tyler is the lesser of two powder keg threats. Tyler has "locked on concentration" and soft hands making numerous highlight reel catches as his quickness and burst create many coverage mismatches.

As dangerous a threat that Tyler is...his small frame would seem a constant target for a defenses most physical safety/corner...but no that "guy" must be used to combat DK who is only getting better with crisper routes and breaking in and out of those routes. WR Coach Sanjay Lal raves about DK being able to apply what he is being taught in practices and translating it on the field with mirror like precision.

Our WRs have been forcing teams to deploy both safeties into deep coverage...leaving a "light" box for our RB to explore. Our offense is very close to being a top 5 Offense. The arrival of Jaxon Smith-Njigba will be nightmarish for our opponents...he is not limited to the slot...but he THRIVES in the slot! Lined up alongside Lockett you get elusive precise routes that defy any attempts to keep a game low scoring. Geno has the accuracy and the arm talent to "key" on the best receiving mismatch for quick strikes.

As our offensive line develops better pass pro overall then Geno has the skills to use that "extra" time in the pocket to make less hurried throws. The RB room is a defenses "best friend"...it balances the game clock by sharing constant movement of the chains with the temptation of up tempo deep strikes...allowing the defense to have "fresh legs" longer into games.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
DK wasn't in the top 10 in any meaningful statistical category last year, and wasn't even in the top 20 for TD's.

And he did make it onto some other top 100 list, #55 on CBS's.

So what exactly are we yelling about again?
How many "top" receivers are the featured WR with a clear drop off in WR2. In Lockett and DK we have the RB version of a split 1A and 1B. This tandem didn't skip a beat from our QB switch...just certain stats that adjust with throwing to the middle of the field.

In 2021 an injured RW with 4 games of Geno thrown in had DK catching at a 12.9 ypc clip while Tyler thrived at a higher avg of 16.1 ypc avg. Both DK and NOE had drop offs in ypc in 2022 (11.6 and 12.3 respectively)

I'll offer two explanations...(1) more 2 high safety or bracketed double teaming dropped DK's high 15.5/15.7(2019/2020) avg down to 12.7/11.2(2021/2022) avg as defenses focused on DK allowing Lockett to snag 16.1/12.3 avg for 2021/2022.

The second reason is more obvious as Geno throws to more short/mid range targets in addition to deep passes. RW didn't or wouldn't throw as much "shorter stuff". Avg depth of target(whether caught or not) also reflects a drop off for both WR from 2021 to 2022...DK was 12.7/Lockett 14.6 in 2021 while in 2022 it was DK 11.2/Lockett 10.6.

We don't need DK to explode...just continue to be a "match up" nightmare so teams sleep on Tyler. Tyler is treated as some sudden "dagger" while DK and his intimidating size and aggressive demeanor doesn't really allow him to "sneak" anywhere. Lockett kills you with sweetness while DK just thumps you into submission...nice to have both "types"...who cares about individual accolades. *Geno smiling*

Reactions: FPD

keasley45

Reaction score
DK wasn't in the top 10 in any meaningful statistical category last year, and wasn't even in the top 20 for TD's.

And he did make it onto some other top 100 list, #55 on CBS's.

So what exactly are we yelling about again?
I think the issue is we are responding to a ranking system based on traditional metrics and popularity. I guess you could say we are also ourselves evaluating players in the same way at times.

What's not considered often enough in these rankings is the total contribution of a player to the team . For wrs, it's measuring catches, highlight catches, TD catches.

If it took into account in any meaningful way metrics like blocking, or intangibles like 'tone setting', or how difficult it is for the opposition to stop a player, you'd get a different result.

Because we don't have to rely on DK the way the Lions did Megatron, means he slips under the radar a bit.

That's not to say he's perfect in any sense. Dude still drops too many balls.

But in terms of his ability to impact a game, he's for sure top 100.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think the issue is we are responding to a ranking system based on traditional metrics and popularity. I guess you could say we are also ourselves evaluating players in the same way at times.

What's not considered often enough in these rankings is the total contribution of a player to the team . For wrs, it's measuring catches, highlight catches, TD catches.

If it took into account in any meaningful way metrics like blocking, or intangibles like 'tone setting', or how difficult it is for the opposition to stop a player, you'd get a different result.

Because we don't have to rely on DK the way the Lions did Megatron, means he slips under the radar a bit.

That's not to say he's perfect in any sense. Dude still drops too many balls.

But in terms of his ability to impact a game, he's for sure top 100.

I believe the NFL.com top 100 is voted on by players. So if DK's not on that one, it's probably because he pisses off a lot of players (mainly defensive players) with his bully nonsense and antics.

Again, glad he's a Hawk. I just can't get worked up over things like popularity lists and power rankings, etc. It's subjective and biased, and is only meant to fill the 24/7 entertainment cycles of online and tv sports shows.

keasley45

Reaction score
I believe the NFL.com top 100 is voted on by players. So if DK's not on that one, it's probably because he pisses off a lot of players (mainly defensive players) with his bully nonsense and antics.

Again, glad he's a Hawk. I just can't get worked up over things like popularity lists and power rankings, etc. It's subjective and biased, and is only meant to fill the 24/7 entertainment cycles of online and tv sports shows.
Agree 100%

sutz

Reaction score

Yeah, off season click bait, mostly. 🤷‍♂️

Mick063

Reaction score
Defensive backs get into his head, cause personal grudge matches that can easily get the referees involved, and the head coach has to step in to get DK's head back into the game. He could have easily cost the team a playoff spot because of it.

That is the ONLY knock I have against DK Metcalf.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He also gets into THEIR heads, often. But absolutely, he has to watch out for the extra stuff after the whistle. It happens less and less. Not that it still doesn't make me nervous at times.
He hasn't cost this team a game. I'm not worried about if's or could have stuff. Until then, do you DK. Just be careful.

TraderGary

Reaction score
This will not be a popular take, but I think DK is overrated and I'm not a fan. If they could get a first rounder for him, I'm taking it. A first rounder combined with the cap savings would be a good value in my opinion.

DK is an absolute beast physically with great speed for his size. But that's where it ends. He has below average hands, and with his size advantage, he should be winning a lot more 50/50 balls.

But the two main issues I have with him are:

1. His route running is very sloppy, and he's basically a two-trick pony.....Go routes and slants, and maybe an occasional curl thrown in. It seems he rarely creates any separation which given his physical gifts, seems unacceptable. I think it goes back to his sloppy route running and limited route tree. He's an easy read for the DB's.

2. He's going to cost the team an important game one of these days with his immaturity. A game that could be the difference between the playoffs and staying home. It's easy for a good DB to get in his head, make him lose focus, and draw flags at inopportune times.

I think these are the reasons he's not garnering more respect around the league as some here (not me) think he deserves.

One of my biggest concerns going into this upcoming season is, with all the weapons this team now has on offense, particularly with the addition of JSN who I'm very excited about, is DK going to start throwing tantrums or pout on the sidelines if he doesn't get enough targets.

We've seen this before and it's not a stretch to think it could easily happen again if someone like JSN is having a great game. How many times have we seen RW or Geno force balls to DK even though TL or someone else was running wide open, just to appease DK who was throwing temper tantrums on the sideline earlier because he wasn't getting the ball enough.

In my opinion, I think DK is a primadonna who's not as good as he thinks he is and can be a selfish "me first" type player. Hopefully he's matured and proves me wrong.

BASF

Reaction score
He dropped four touchdown passes last season. Really like the player, but his loss of focus cost us a couple of one score games last season. His rounding off of routes has been illustrated a few times in video break downs. If he has improved those two areas, he will be hard to stop and one of the top five receivers in the league. It boils down to how much he truly wants it.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I'm aware of your reference (Rob Stanton? perhaps) I don't comment on his sight so I can enjoy watching his takes and draw my own conclusions...always looking to gain insight to better enjoy what my own eyes don't tell me. For "X"s and "O"s I drift over to Matty F.Brown( a UK Hawk fan)
I hear you. Mr billin' seems to know his football. I just had it out with him when his beloved iggles lost the owl. I'm glad they lost now . Hahaha.
It's easy to find other content providers online that aren't worthless dicks IMHO.
So that's what I did.

knownone

Reaction score
DK is not the modern Megatron, at least yet. He brings more physicality to the game. But he's nowhere near as consistent down the field.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I hear you. Mr billin' seems to know his football. I just had it out with him when his beloved iggles lost the owl. I'm glad they lost now . Hahaha.
It's easy to find other content providers online that aren't worthless dicks IMHO.
So that's what I did.
someobdy made a comment on his vid and I replied to it, never mentioned him or commented about him. He replied 'get your own channel if you want to comment.' After that I saw more and more what a petulant manbaby he is.

Last edited:

Hawkmode

Reaction score
A lot of comments seem based as if DK is a finished product. Each year he has progressed his craft...the guy has four seasons already and is still 25 years old...a year older than our UDFA rookie Matt Landers. I don't take my "keys" from outsider contents...I listen to his coaches and team mates especially Sanjay Lal/Shane Waldron and Tyler Lockett...with Geno piling on as well. These guys are excited to have him. Tariq Woolen gushes with excitement when relating to Dk's locker room presence and endless practices.

John Schneider has been our GM for over a dozen years and isn't quick triggered in handing out 2nd contracts and you see him with a wide smile whenever he name drops DK unprompted. He sees DK as one of his prized accomplishments.

As fans we love Tyler who racks up highlight reel catches...yet it's DK who puts fear into our opponents...drawing the top corner and help ...away from Tyler who destroys single coverage.

The team not individuals are what get us into playoffs...our team needed DK to be clutch in a Rams game where the Rams were ballin out to be spoilers .

DK caught Geno's pass with strong hands pulling it back into his body with Jalen Ramsey hanging all over him. Our whole team came alive with excitement...this win on 4 Dec kept our fragile playoff hopes alive setting up our season finale where Jason Myers made it a "sweep" winning on a 32 yd field goal in O.T....we had to wait for Detroit to help us...but we defied our critics and put the difficult 2021 season in our rear view mirror.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
someobdy made a comment on his vid and replied to it, never mentioned him or commented about him. He replied 'get your own channel if you want to comment.' After that I saw more and more what a petulant manbaby he is.
Yup . He's a silly clown. All kinds of knowledge on YouTube to be had.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
This will not be a popular take, but I think DK is overrated and I'm not a fan. If they could get a first rounder for him, I'm taking it. A first rounder combined with the cap savings would be a good value in my opinion.

DK is an absolute beast physically with great speed for his size. But that's where it ends. He has below average hands, and with his size advantage, he should be winning a lot more 50/50 balls.

But the two main issues I have with him are:

1. His route running is very sloppy, and he's basically a two-trick pony.....Go routes and slants, and maybe an occasional curl thrown in. It seems he rarely creates any separation which given his physical gifts, seems unacceptable. I think it goes back to his sloppy route running and limited route tree. He's an easy read for the DB's.

2. He's going to cost the team an important game one of these days with his immaturity. A game that could be the difference between the playoffs and staying home. It's easy for a good DB to get in his head, make him lose focus, and draw flags at inopportune times.

I think these are the reasons he's not garnering more respect around the league as some here (not me) think he deserves.

One of my biggest concerns going into this upcoming season is, with all the weapons this team now has on offense, particularly with the addition of JSN who I'm very excited about, is DK going to start throwing tantrums or pout on the sidelines if he doesn't get enough targets.

We've seen this before and it's not a stretch to think it could easily happen again if someone like JSN is having a great game. How many times have we seen RW or Geno force balls to DK even though TL or someone else was running wide open, just to appease DK who was throwing temper tantrums on the sideline earlier because he wasn't getting the ball enough.

In my opinion, I think DK is a primadonna who's not as good as he thinks he is and can be a selfish "me first" type player. Hopefully he's matured and proves me wrong.
Good God. Of all the bad takes on this site we get this gem of pure manure. Turn in your fan card.

Last edited:

Hawkmode

Reaction score
He dropped four touchdown passes last season. Really like the player, but his loss of focus cost us a couple of one score games last season. His rounding off of routes has been illustrated a few times in video break downs. If he has improved those two areas, he will be hard to stop and one of the top five receivers in the league. It boils down to how much he truly wants it.
Nice analysis ...DK is our red zone target of choice so the "opportunity" of dropping TD passes is higher than when the WR scores on an explosive pass from deeper up field. It's also common knowledge that Defensive coverage when within the red zone is stickier as the defense has less field to defend...DK is faster than he is quick. As for "rounding off" of routes DK has gotten better at changing direction at the stem of his route...but remember he is a big player going at high speed...so changing direction is not as sudden as he chops his feet taking a few more "wasted" steps before being able to down shift his gear and plant his foot...unlike Tyler and JSN who seem able to stay in gear and shift direction without the coverage mirroring their breaks. Waldron and Sanjay Lal know the routes where the WR is given the freedom to ad-lib based on coverage "keys" they are coaching him with...so it might "look" like he's rounding off...but fans don't know what Sanjay is coaching or what Waldron is expecting on any given route...in the NFL seeing isn't always believing...Sanjay will have the feedback if DK needs "corrected".