Why no love for DK"

TraderGary

Reaction score
Good God. Of all the bad takes on this site we get this gem of pure manure. Turn in your fan card.
As I said, it was not going to be a popular take here. Here’s a thought. Instead of bashing me, how about actually telling me where you disagree or where I’m wrong? Unlike some, I’m open minded and I’m not afraid to admit if I’m wrong. This is strictly my opinion based on what I’ve seen on the field and on the sidelines.

Below average hands? Yes (Too many drops)

Fails to win his share of 50/50 balls for his size advantage? Yes (Strictly memory and eye test)

Sloppy/poor route running and rounding off routes? Yes (Mentioned many times in this forum)

Fails to create separation on a reasonably consistent basis? Yes (Again, strictly memory and eye test. Seems to always be blanketed by the DB)

Limited route tree? Yes (Don’t know how this can be debated)

Immaturity, losing his cool and focus, and at times drawing flags at inopportune times? Yes (Happens on nearly a weekly basis)

Gets upset if he’s not getting the targets he feels he deserves? Yes (Personally have seen this on more than one occasion)

As for my fandom, I’ve probably been a fan longer than you’ve been alive….. from day one of the franchise.

Just because I’m critical of a certain player doesn’t make me less of a fan than you are. I would argue that it makes me more of a fan because I’m willing to look at the team and individual players with critical thinking, versus….. “oh he’s wearing blue and green…..he’s the greatest player to ever play the game” type mentality.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Defensive backs get into his head, cause personal grudge matches that can easily get the referees involved, and the head coach has to step in to get DK's head back into the game. He could have easily cost the team a playoff spot because of it.

That is the ONLY knock I have against DK Metcalf.

Same here. The guy is a beast, but the mental aspect holds him back.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
DK is right there, I don't think he doesn't make the probowl and is top 5 overall. To me, it just seems like that is the trajectory he's on. JSN, showing up and running the routes he does is going to rub off on DK, for sure.

Last edited:

CPHawk

Reaction score
DK is awesome, but I see people trying to compare him to Megatron which is pretty off base imho. Megatron was uncoverable in his prime, and that was on a terrible team.

Last edited:

Hawkmode

Reaction score
As I said, it was not going to be a popular take here. Here’s a thought. Instead of bashing me, how about actually telling me where you disagree or where I’m wrong? Unlike some, I’m open minded and I’m not afraid to admit if I’m wrong. This is strictly my opinion based on what I’ve seen on the field and on the sidelines.

Fails to win his share of 50/50 balls for his size advantage? Yes (Strictly memory and eye test)

Sloppy/poor route running and rounding off routes? Yes (Mentioned many times in this forum)

Fails to create separation on a reasonably consistent basis? Yes (Again, strictly memory and eye test. Seems to always be blanketed by the DB)

Immaturity, losing his cool and focus, and at times drawing flags at inopportune times? Yes (Happens on nearly a weekly basis)

Gets upset if he’s not getting the targets he feels he deserves? Yes (Personally have seen this on more than one occasion)

As for my fandom, I’ve probably been a fan longer than you’ve been alive….. from day one of the franchise.

Just because I’m critical of a certain player doesn’t make me less of a fan than you are. I would argue that it makes me more of a fan because I’m willing to look at the team and individual players with critical thinking, versus….. “oh he’s wearing blue and green…..he’s the greatest player to ever play the game” type mentality.
Well since your a long time fan I'll tip my hat to you with my own opinions. I appreciate you prefacing your comments with you having an open mind.

BA hands...too many drops......but BA no...the Rams game was a "hands" away from the body clutch catch with immediate pull in to keep control of it knowing Jalen Ramsey was draped all over him. Too many drops? Not a sharp argument from me...but Geno will be the first to act upon that by audible/check down...I haven't seen him cock his arm back looking at DK then suddenly target Tyler or Fant. He can be fan faulted for allowing too many passes caught into his body instead of a quick snatch of his hands.

Fails to win his share (50/50). He looks like "Superman" but he's not...these are NFL corners.

Sloppy/poor routes with rounding off...this is a common fan misstatement. Waldron and Sanjay Lal only...know the route assignment...what "keys" DK has been coached to look for and "alter" route...or even if DK is meant to be a decoy dragging his coverage away from the intended run play or pass target. Do you see Geno yelling in his ear on the sidelines? Probably a good clue...

Fails to create separation...you have already acknowledged his large size...on "Go Balls" his speed gets him separation from 1rst defender...but you think the deeper set Free Safety isn't cheating toward DK's coverage? He is seldom left unbracketed in single coverage...opponents respect him...
For changing direction at the stem of the route...his size and speed takes several chopped (wasted)steps to downshift and plant his foot to redirect his motion. This is physics in motion...Tyler is lighter and quicker so his body can change direction "on a dime".

Limited route tree...as a big body split end with speed...Go Routes and Deep Posts are typical to what "limited" implies...but he has added to his route tree with crossing/dig routes especially last year. Short area quickness is JSN's and Locket's forte...its not common in all WRs ...

Immaturity/loses his cool...I would like to give him credit for improvement?

Gets upset for lack of targets...a fiery competitive alpha male wants to know he has the QB's trust...Even Geno doesn't always see a WR suddenly break free...Tyler will just come back to the huddle and let Geno know his coverage is "biting" on some move Tyler has done...and DK who is often blanketed or drawing the opponents best man coverage guy...gets frustrated because its rare that he gets "busted" coverage. Geno handles it well...and fans can be ok with that...

Again glad to hear you're a long time fan...my claim only began in 2010. Sorry TraderGary...my original post was very snarky so I edited it to parse my response.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score

I agree with your analysis here. DK has the big contract--$72 million over 3 years, so expectations are very high.

DK's limitations are as advertised before the draft: doesn't get enough separation, no wiggle in his game, lack of awareness in space, not enough yards after the catch.

And yet, he remains a big weapon and with JSN on the scene, it may open things up a little more for DK.

Last year, DK had almost as productive a season as another person with a similar contract, AJ Brown. Brown had about the same number of catches, but almost 500 more yards and twice as many TDs. DK had a better year than another guy with a similar contract, Deebo Samuel, but Deebo missed 4 games to injury and he did a lot more in the 49ers run game.

GemCity

Reaction score
I think the issue is we are responding to a ranking system based on traditional metrics and popularity. I guess you could say we are also ourselves evaluating players in the same way at times.

What's not considered often enough in these rankings is the total contribution of a player to the team . For wrs, it's measuring catches, highlight catches, TD catches.

If it took into account in any meaningful way metrics like blocking, or intangibles like 'tone setting', or how difficult it is for the opposition to stop a player, you'd get a different result.

Because we don't have to rely on DK the way the Lions did Megatron, means he slips under the radar a bit.

That's not to say he's perfect in any sense. Dude still drops too many balls.

But in terms of his ability to impact a game, he's for sure top 100.
Agreed.

I do want to point one thing out though. Folks mention AJ Brown as one of the top receivers and DK gets knocked for drops (I’m not attacking your comment…I agree).

DK caught more passes while being targeted less. Granted…”targeted” could be an interpretation on a ball that may not be catchable.

DK brings a lot more to the game than 1500 yard seasons.

I’m obviously biased but, he’s definitely a Top 10 receiver and a nightmare to match up with.

I’m terrible with analogies and DK hasn’t hit this level yet but, he’s kind of the Aaron Donald of receivers. You look at the stats after and are sometimes left unimpressed.

But go ahead and not double him and see what happens.

Smellyman

Reaction score
DK is a weapon and love having him on the team. Not as dynamic as the top WRs and not real natural hands. He seems a real hard worker and is slowly adding to his game.

If there is a big 3rd or 4th down, I am much more comfortable seeing that ball go to #16 or even a TE

Last edited:

NoGain

Reaction score
DK's such an unusual WR to me. I have a really difficult time trying to spec him to another WR past or present. He's so big and muscular it's hard to believe he possesses such top end speed. I don't think he's ever going to be a twitchy receiver, one of those receivers who can maximize their effectiveness in tight spaces with sudden stops, twists, and turns.

But I do think he's got real potential on sideline routes, post patterns, and crossing routes where he can maximize his speed, athletic ability, and formidable frame to flat out beat defenders, make high point grabs, and seal off defenders with his body for a catch.

It's so great that we finally got that bona fide 3rd receiver. He could have a real effective year as long as he doesn't turn diva on us. Barring injury, they won't be able to cover him with a surplus of defenders. If he runs his routes right, holds onto the ball, and better learns some of the finer points about being a receiver, we could have a real exciting passing attack this year.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Agreed.

I do want to point one thing out though. Folks mention AJ Brown as one of the top receivers and DK gets knocked for drops (I’m not attacking your comment…I agree).

DK caught more passes while being targeted less. Granted…”targeted” could be an interpretation on a ball that may not be catchable.

DK brings a lot more to the game than 1500 yard seasons.

I’m obviously biased but, he’s definitely a Top 10 receiver and a nightmare to match up with.

I’m terrible with analogies and DK hasn’t hit this level yet but, he’s kind of the Aaron Donald of receivers. You look at the stats after and are sometimes left unimpressed.

But go ahead and not double him and see what happens.
Drops? Put the drops in context. How much double coverage does DK draw? How many targets? 141 targets and he dropped 7...for a "whopping" 5% drop rate. Last year that 5 % drop rate ranked him 73rd in the NFL...any talented WR ranked worse? ...DeAndre Hopkins/DeVonta Smith/Stefon Diggs/Travis Kelce/Jamarr Chase(23rd)/Courtland Sutton (20th)/Amari Cooper (17th)/Deebo Samuel (15th)

Accumulation stats always need to be put into context...not just "yeah but he had 7 drops"
For those infatuated with Tyreek Hill he finished 4 spots better ranked 77th.

Mick063

Reaction score
DK is a freak. Elite top end speed. Elite wingspan. Elite strength. Elite vertical leap. The physical tools are just impressive. He is just now entering his prime and he is going to be clearing space for other elite receivers underneath. DK is worth every nickel of his contract. He just has to gain a tier of maturity with respect to self-control. He needs to keep his mind 100% into the immediate task at hand. Play in the "now" with situational awareness and stop with the petty distractions and personal interactions with the opposing team.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
My favorite "Go to site" for film study breakdown...Top Billin's team is the Eagles but he often gives Seattle some respected love.
Top billin is a clown but I do like his breakdowns.

Ozzy

Reaction score

He does struggle in contested stuff which is odd since its an area you would think he would dominate. I would disagree on route running and route tree stuff though. He's gotten a ton better in this regard since entering the league. He's never going to be Lockett in this regard because physically it's probably impossible but he has improved A TON. In a more volume happy system I think DK would be putting up ridiculous numbers and maybe this is the year he blows up, although it may be tough with Lockett, JSN, the TE room etc.

I dont think you're less of a fan for being critical of him though. We get a lot of that when anyone is remotely critical of Pete. Regardless if someone agrees or disagrees its a part of beign a fan that is fun......not sure why people default to the "fan card" anytime someone doesn't agree.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
DK's such an unusual WR to me. I have a really difficult time trying to spec him to another WR past or present. He's so big and muscular it's hard to believe he possesses such top end speed. I don't think he's ever going to be a twitchy receiver, one of those receivers who can maximize their effectiveness in tight spaces with sudden stops, twists, and turns.

But I do think he's got real potential on sideline routes, post patterns, and crossing routes where he can maximize his speed, athletic ability, and formidable frame to flat out beat defenders, make high point grabs, and seal off defenders with his body for a catch.

It's so great that we finally got that bona fide 3rd receiver. He could have a real effective year as long as he doesn't turn diva on us. Barring injury, they won't be able to cover him with a surplus of defenders. If he runs his routes right, holds onto the ball, and better learns some of the finer points about being a receiver, we could have a real exciting passing attack this year.
You actually come across as putting some thought into your post...refreshing to see. Your concern for DK not being twitchy enough is more a reflection of thinking there is some WR standard that all great WR "should" have.

WR come in all shapes and sizes with varying degrees of skills matching. A successful NFL team has a WR room able to create mismatches based on what the Defense offers up as "protection".

The real way of knowing which WR represents the biggest threat to an opponent is who draws the most focus especially if a team has an elite "shut down corner" who follows your best WR around.

Your offensive coordinator needs to know who on the team is the "magnet" for drawing the opponents attention on any given play he sends in? Plays are drawn up utilizing that knowledge to utilize routes and play design to "free" up that player...or utilize his "dummy" route to move a defenses attention away from the area of the field you want to attack. Tyler

Lockett is an excellent decoy because his short area quickness destroys single coverage and your deep safety is "suckered" into helping defend the WR getting good separation from his assigned coverage...now DK is in single coverage.

We got away with a lot of these "cat and mouse" type plays against single deep coverage...the opponent's remedy? With two elite WR the two high shell is designed to limit our ability of cat and mouse...but the opponents defense had to pull a defender (usually the assigned "box" safety) away from the box making it vulnerable to a RB who needs "gang" tackled to prevent an explosive run.

Now your opponents defense is lured into a "shell" game...which of our 3 nightmares for them is the actual play maker for any given play...choose wrong and all 3 players are legit threats to break down the defenses "structure" and score from any down/distance.

By adding even more "shells"/threats like Fant crossing the middle/busting up a seam...or our new threat (a WR1 "type" disquised as our WR3) Jaxon-Smith-Njigba...we have now overloaded all but the best defenses. We now offer the same dilemma that the 49ers offense presents to most defenses they go up against.

Now the opponents defense knows its a losing shell game and must focus quickly on the "hand" (QB) taking advantage of the "moving shells" before he can reveal which shell our designed play maker is under. We continue to beef up our pass pro to give Geno that "extra" second to execute the plays focus.

Its a team concept and DK is a key component that supports our teams offensive success...why do many in our own fan base become lured to identify an individual as a weakness? ...its a team effort

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Top billin is a clown but I do like his breakdowns.
I get that...but unless your visiting to comment you can just glean any insights you might see yourself from his film study...even a bad "messenger" can deliver good news.

chris98251

Reaction score
Nobody mentions his blocking, this guy takes out players for our running game, this cannot be downplayed and he blocks down field when another receiver catches the ball.

GemCity

Reaction score
Drops? Put the drops in context. How much double coverage does DK draw? How many targets? 141 targets and he dropped 7...for a "whopping" 5% drop rate. Last year that 5 % drop rate ranked him 73rd in the NFL...any talented WR ranked worse? ...DeAndre Hopkins/DeVonta Smith/Stefon Diggs/Travis Kelce/Jamarr Chase(23rd)/Courtland Sutton (20th)/Amari Cooper (17th)/Deebo Samuel (15th)

Accumulation stats always need to be put into context...not just "yeah but he had 7 drops"
For those infatuated with Tyreek Hill he finished 4 spots better ranked 77th.
Sigh….I’m not going to add context to a general comment where I’m not even knocking DK. I’m defending him.

But…there’s more context to add if we’re nitpicking. Tyreek had 1700+ yards.

But…Tyreek was targeted more. But DK had more drops in the end zone.

You see…this doesn’t end.

My post was just fine.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Sigh….I’m not going to add context to a general comment where I’m not even knocking DK. I’m defending him.

My post was just fine.
Sorry I was actually looking for a post to hitch hike on

My post was just fine.
Wires crossed! I already gave you a thumbs up because you gave a good thoughtful post...and your post was fair yet favorable toward DK so I wouldn't be directing any angst your way...I was lazy and looking to hitch hike on any post mentioning drops...you weren't the origin...you just did an agreed...I had already responded to the post you were reacting to. Your post was fine...I was putting "drops" in perspective as a hitch hiker to your post...your content was fine which is why I'll leave you without responding to Tyreke Hill. My posts need better articulation it seems.

Latest posts