Ok so what about that offense?

RussB

Reaction score
Defense had some terrible costly mistakes today that turned the whole game around, i wanted a defensive blowout but oh well. Happy they managed to get the win though.

What about the offense though, this falcons defense isnt really elite and to me it seemed like they had a hard time moving the ball all game long. Had some nice passes to jimmy g but it seemed like they didnt look as explosive as before the bye. I think the offense is also to blame for letting the game get out of hand in the 3rd they kept the defense on the field to long and they looked gassed.

Anyone else feel that way? I was underwhelmed by the O.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
A missed FG plus a non call on Kearse that would have been a TD...so that is 10 points we screwed away.

But as far as explosiveness goes, they were awfully conservative today. No deep shots.

We need to get Lockett healthy and get Richardson to use his speed.

Polk738

Reaction score
I'd say it was more the Seahawks not executing than the defense of the Falcons, CJ Spiller dropped two balls, Jimmy Graham dropped a pass that hit him right in the chest, Russ overthrowing receivers when he could've easily ran for the first down-The offense beat themselves it wasn't the Falcons defense.

2_0_6

Reaction score
A couple key dropped passes today that would have gone for 1st downs killed drives.

Seems like they had a "bad weather gameplan" and stuck with it even though they should have opened it up a bit later.

Hawks46

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2o90fx5v said:
A missed FG plus a non call on Kearse that would have been a TD...so that is 10 points we screwed away.

But as far as explosiveness goes, they were awfully conservative today. No deep shots.

We need to get Lockett healthy and get Richardson to use his speed.

No deep shots because we didn't establish the run and the Falcons were in a two deep look and had a deeper zone called a lot.

Look at the passes underneath. Look at when Wilson stepped up in the pocket. There was TONS of room underneath. Baldwin was getting all kinds of YAC out of the flat as well. They are a spin off of our defense....they don't want to give up the stuff over the top.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I never get the idea our offense plays with any sense of urgency.

We need to keep the ball to keep the other teams offense off the field, and this will be very important against upcoming teams like New England.. and Dallas in the playoff if we play them.

We need to score more per drive, so that we have some margin of error we can work with, for instance, today's 3rd quarter.

Today, it seemed to me that we should have blown these guys out of the stadium.. we had them scared, Russell had time to pass.. but it was just all mediocre it seemed.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Don't forget CMike voluntarily going out of bounds two yards shy of the first down as well as not diving for a first down when he had it and instead accepting getting pushed back. Those plays killed two drives.

irocdave

Reaction score
My take on the offense is that it is still based around running the football. Michaels did a nice job in the first quarter until he got earholed after hitting the ground. No foul called, but he was messed up after that hit, still remember him standing there in a daze looking for his mouthpiece. He should have been checked out right there, but wasn't. No doubt in my mind he had a concussion. They pulled him in the middle of the second quarter to verify, didn't come back until late in the 3rd quarter and wasn't the same. I'm really questioning the NFL concussion procedures. They seem really laxed.

Not having a dependable every down running back hurt the Hawks in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We had a 17 to 3 lead and we almost peed it away.

The Falcons were weak at corner and safety, but for some reason, we just kept trying to run the ball. Even though they were packed in tight, even though we were getting nothing in running it.

You don't have to abandon the run entirely but for a team that cannot stop your passing game? Quit going away from it.

One of our early drives was killed by trying to run the ball 3 times in a row. I wanted someone to throw Bevell in a burlap bag and beat him to death with a baseball bat. It was killing me because when we bothered to pass we marched up the field.

But drive after drive was killed by the short pass for 5, followed by a run for a few yards and then a run for not enough.

We had a couple of long (over 10 less than 20) runs, but those were by far the exception. The Falcons had our run game locked down, and we kept running into a brick wall and then punting shortly thereafter.

It was a game we needed to score, and we kept going to short stuff even with their defense packed in half the game. We were not stretching them at all.

Then once we choked away 3 drives, to find ourselves in the hole by 7 after being up 14? (Especially after not bothering to go for it at the opposing 40 with half a foot to go!) - we suddenly started trying to score by throwing the ball.

Which works all day long against the Falcons.

Basically, this is a game that Bevell did everything to lose but somehow the defense kept us in it, even when we were missing some pieces and could not get some stops we normally got.

evergreen

Reaction score
I agree the 2nd down and short play calling was abysmal. Runs for losses. C Mike is serviceable, but last year's Rawls gets more yards in the short yardage situations. Even with Lynch we kind 'a sucked in short yardage runs. Keep pushing it and dump it off if you need to. Russell's like 75%? Half his legs and all his arms...